GET OUT -- New horror film about black man meeting white gf's parents. Looks creepy.

Just got back from seeing this and caught up from pg 7 to 20. I had many of yall ready to quote but it would have been too much. I'll leave my review ans what i thought on thepost to follow in a spoiler.

i took my wife with me tonight to see this. shes white im black, im from GA shes from Montana. Im in MT now so this movie kinda resonated well with me.

She didnt like it :lol: .. hasnt given me a real reason why tho.

If you havent seen the movie Skeleton Key, go see it. Its not on this level good but uses the same deal of using/transferring bodies. I like it

I walked in the theater and was like every white person looked at me :lol: .. told my wife weird howd i know id be the only black guy in here. I was the only one laughin at most the joke stuff it was like they didnt get it or felt uncomfortable or something

My take on everything below

• Opening scene. Pretty realistic, a lot of yall say your instinct would be to run but i think turning the other way not fully paranoid was the norm reaction. I wouldnt have lost sight of the car though

• Hitting the deer. Idk how many of you know what ASMR is (look it up) but once they hit the deer to me I took it as Chris had a certain audible trigger, the way the wind was isolated blowing and then the screams suffering. So the mom told him how it works was she gets them to a level of comfort they dont realize, she picked up on his hearing sense when they were at the table drinking tea. He had zoned out, this was accident but it worked. So she had him right there.

• I think saying Rose was bi/dated chicks is a reach. To me i just see that as a black girl friend she brought home. As someone else mentioned, probably sought out those that had no ties left behind. As for as "ncca prospect" that part was strictly for comedy just go to with the theme of the black folk auction

•I was able to tie the brother together pretty quickly just by how he carried himseld at the dinner table

• The mom deserves the credit ahe was getting from someone else who said she had them all under the spell. She controlled the brother by his name in a certain tone. Im sure they all had certain things that triggered the obedience.

• Georgina (prob the Grandmas actual name) host had the strongest will to break the spell. It wasnt perfected with her but strong enough to take hold. All while the host is trying to break free, the zoning out and tears scene.

• when the dad talked about the granddad losing to jesse ownes, he finishes with saying "he still never got over it". Explains the running part with the groundskeeper, he even had the running form they had back in the day.

• Rose played dumb pretty well imo but when she said he was the first black dude .. nah you aint bringing me over as the FIRST unannounced. And parents didnt even act any at all surprised or caught off guard for him being "the first". She also knew he had found the pics but she didnt care as it was time to take him down anyway. He didnt want to believe it though.

• i personally kinda wished the daighter had no idea and she was under the spell but at the same time i enjoyed it the way it turned out.

• Cotton part was nice touch, as well as the explaining 3 moves ahead then using it on him.

• TSA dude is a real one. We all need a friend like that he was truly concerned for his boy. A lot of dudes would be worried but then just write it off n go about they business

Its late i know im missing stuff but ill catch up tomorrow

Reading some of the questions in this thread make it seem like yall got up to leave the theater multiple times during the movie or its just difficult for yall to follow along with the plot :lol:

Great movie, saw it yesterday and probably will see it again over

Very good film that used horror as a cover for a criticism of society. Intelligent piece of work that requires the viewer to pay attention to the subtleties to get the message.

Just got back from seeing this and caught up from pg 7 to 20. I had many of yall ready to quote but it would have been too much. I'll leave my review ans what i thought on thepost to follow in a spoiler.

i took my wife with me tonight to see this. shes white im black, im from GA shes from Montana. Im in MT now so this movie kinda resonated well with me.

Why do you think she didn't like it? What's her honest opinion on racism currently? Does she feel like black people tend to exaggerate regarding racial issues? What has her response been to the various police shootings of unarmed black people?

Furthermore, it's important that this film put on display that liberals are capable of racism as well. While theirs may be more covert, they still feel the same way that in your face racists do.

Furthermore, it's important that this film put on display that liberals are capable of racism as well. While theirs may be more covert, they still feel the same way that in your face racists do.
We already knew this though

Some of those perpetuating it didn't, though.

I think this movie can be such a different experience based on the perspective of the person watching. They did a great job of putting those little questionable moments and comments on display and allowing the audience to interpret.

We already knew this though

We do, but many of them don't. I'll use the example of Samantha Bee and her husband are against school choice. Kids from the local housing projects were going to be allowed to go their child's school and parents protested against the decision. They said they weren't racist for not wanting poor, Black kids in their schools.

As someone else pointed out above, he didn't actually hear the door open or even notice, specifically because he wasn't looking over his shoulder as he walked away. :smh: Was talking to a friend about that last night in fact. **** is dumb. I wouldn't have necessarily taken off, but I would have turned around and kept eyeballing the car to see if it turned around to keep following me. That's when I know to take off.

Was he talking to the white girl and she led him there for the brother to get him? Like he was lost first time in that neighborhood

it did 2 things. it introduced the idea of "oh my god, maybe the girl is being hypnotized into not remembering she HAS dated black guys before." this is evidenced by Chris finding the pics and still trying to leave WITH her. he thought she was a victim of hypnotism too.

but after the keys scene, it revealed that in actuality she just kept tokens of her conquests and was a cold hearted b****. "you were one of my favorites chris." one thing people MIGHT have missed is it seems like she even pretended to be lesbian to get some of the chicks in the pictures. including georgina?

How could people have missed that she pretended to be lesbian? She had pics with the brothas then Georgina. :lol: Pretty obvious.

it did 2 things. it introduced the idea of "oh my god, maybe the girl is being hypnotized into not remembering she HAS dated black guys before." this is evidenced by Chris finding the pics and still trying to leave WITH her. he thought she was a victim of hypnotism too.

but after the keys scene, it revealed that in actuality she just kept tokens of her conquests and was a cold hearted b****. "you were one of my favorites chris." one thing people MIGHT have missed is it seems like she even pretended to be lesbian to get some of the chicks in the pictures. including georgina?

How could people have missed that she pretended to be lesbian? She had pics with the brothas then Georgina. :lol: Pretty obvious.

Dude way in the back of the theater yelled "ARE YOU SERIOUS???" at the pic of Rose and Georgina :lol: :lol:

We do, but many of them don't. I'll use the example of Samantha Bee and her husband are against school choice. Kids from the local housing projects were going to be allowed to go their child's school and parents protested against the decision. They said they weren't racist for not wanting poor, Black kids in their schools.

Link?

I don't trust liberals any more than I trust conservatives. They want the same steak, but have a difference in preference on how it's prepared.

How could people have missed that she pretended to be lesbian? She had pics with the brothas then Georgina.
laugh.gif
Pretty obvious.
I wouldn't call it obvious, Idk when I saw the pic they looked like friends. Nothing gave off a lesbian vibe. The only solid connection between all those guys and Georgina was that they were all victims. You can make a case for both in my opinion but I choose friend

One question... why did the dad take Andre in the beginning like that? don't they normally go through the process like Chris? Was andre dating Chris' girlfriend at the time?
It was the son who grabbed him. They did go through it. Andre just didn't go up to "meet" the parents. And Andre was on the phone with Rose. She gave him wrong directions so he would get kidnapped by her brother. 
My take on everything below
• Opening scene. Pretty realistic, a lot of yall say your instinct would be to run but i think turning the other way not fully paranoid was the norm reaction. I wouldnt have lost sight of the car though

• Hitting the deer. Idk how many of you know what ASMR is (look it up) but once they hit the deer to me I took it as Chris had a certain audible trigger, the way the wind was isolated blowing and then the screams suffering. So the mom told him how it works was she gets them to a level of comfort they dont realize, she picked up on his hearing sense when they were at the table drinking tea. He had zoned out, this was accident but it worked. So she had him right there.

• The mom deserves the credit ahe was getting from someone else who said she had them all under the spell. She controlled the brother by his name in a certain tone. Im sure they all had certain things that triggered the obedience.

.• when the dad talked about the granddad losing to jesse ownes, he finishes with saying "he still never got over it". Explains the running part with the groundskeeper, he even had the running form they had back in the day.
Agreed. Majority of people aren't running. Me personally, I'm prideful as hell so we would've fought to the death in that street lmao

The deer was a trigger. It brought him back to when his mom passed and he didn't do anything. Same thing with the deer. That's why he made the mistake of picking up Georgina when he hit her with that car. He got over it just at the worst time possible. 

Agreed. The father also said she hypnotized him before. Fairly certain she did it to everyone else in that house too. 

I think when he brought up the grandfather not getting over losing to Jesse Owens his grandfather realized we are just genetically superior. No matter how much he trained they just can't match up. So he came up with the Coagula experiment. In the video of the grandfather he says "our mind and your body would be unstoppable". The son brought it up as well at the dinner table. Telling Chris how with his natural genetics he'd be a beast at MMA while he had to study Ju Jit Su because it required more thought than natural skill. 

Am I the only one that thought when Rod picked him up and Chris asked how he found him out there that Rod was gonna turn out to be one of them too :lol:

Saw this movie a few nights ago... don't know about y'all... maybe I'm a perv... but I thought the mom was going to give him some brain after she first hypnotized him and he sunk into the floor. She looked a little too close to him as he was staring up at her in the TV screen. It would been like a power/control thing over a powerless guy... and maybe even over the daughter... cause at that time, I didn't know the daughter was in on it too.    

I wouldn't call it obvious, Idk when I saw the pic they looked like friends. Nothing gave off a lesbian vibe. The only solid connection between all those guys and Georgina was that they were all victims. You can make a case for both in my opinion but I choose friend

Wouldn't make much sense for her to have a bunch of romantic pics with guys, but the one pic she has with a girl is platonic, in my opinion. Instantly made the connection to her having had a girlfriend.

That logic is bout the same as seeing a chick take a pic with a dude on IG and assume they together. Yeah the dudes were bfs but nothing about the pic with Georgina gave off her swinging both ways. If anything it was just to connect her with also being a victim otherwise how else could you explain her if her pic was never in there.

I think if that was the case then why werent there other females pics, you cant tell me all those white women didnt want another body besides her grandma.

Prob one of those take n it run with it scenarios.

What about the fruit loops scene. Colored (fruit loops) separated from the White (milk). Not wanting them to even mix. Subtle but a powerful scene.

Peele said in an interview that the fruit loops scene was just to show weirdness not to symbolize racism. He said people are reaching a bit with many of the scenes lol

that easter egg list someone posted a couple pages back had some good stuff but some points were a bit of a reach. would get an A in college (cuz the more the better) but IRL there were a few things i was like ehh...

i could be wrong tho.

montana tho? damn that's about as away from brothers as you can get.. my white girl loved it (in boston). cultural differences probably ensures she might've missed a few things, but i didn't even put the groundskeeper running thing together. i need to watch it again. movie was too real. jordan peele took my family's exact fear or concerns when i fist started dating my girl and made a masterpiece horror out of it. amazing doesn't do this film justice.

if white people don't like this movie, should i take that as suspect? :nerd: :nerd:

LOL :pimp:

Am I the only one that thought when Rod picked him up and Chris asked how he found him out there that Rod was gonna turn out to be one of them too :lol:
I knew when Chris got in the car Rod was gon "N i told you!" .. Rod character was the most authentic/gwnuinely played role imo. Its like they gave him his script and said go over it, know whats supposed to happen but put that real N spin on it like you would in real life

Saw this movie a few nights ago... don't know about y'all... maybe I'm a perv... but I thought the mom was going to give him some brain after she first hypnotized him and he sunk into the floor. She looked a little too close to him as he was staring up at her in the TV screen. It would been like a power/control thing over a powerless guy... and maybe even over the daughter... cause at that time, I didn't know the daughter was in on it too.    

PERV!

:lol: i never thought of that but now that you mention kinda like in Wedding Crashers when the mom made Vince Vaugh touch them bitties and call her Kitty Kat lol

Wouldn't make much sense for her to have a bunch of romantic pics with guys, but the one pic she has with a girl is platonic, in my opinion. Instantly made the connection to her having had a girlfriend.

That logic is bout the same as seeing a chick take a pic with a dude on IG and assume they together. Yeah the dudes were bfs but nothing about the pic with Georgina gave off her swinging both ways. If anything it was just to connect her with also being a victim otherwise how else could you explain her if her pic was never in there.

I think if that was the case then why werent there other females pics, you cant tell me all those white women didnt want another body besides her grandma.

Prob one of those take n it run with it scenarios.

Difference is that this is a fictional story, in which everything is being written in a specific way to send a specific message. May as well argue that any one of those random dudes she took pics with were just friends. Again, wouldn't make sense in my opinion for her to have a box of people she dated, but the chick happens to be the one person she didn't date, just because she's a chick :lol:

dap-o.gif

YO ME TOO! as soon as she got on her knees and went up to him, i was the dude bout to get his mic checked as he's lost in the matrix. i seriously had no idea what to expect with this movie.

just told me girl this and just got hit wit a >D

It was the son who grabbed him. They did go through it. Andre just didn't go up to "meet" the parents. And Andre was on the phone with Rose. She gave him wrong directions so he would get kidnapped by her brother. 
Wait...he was on the phone with Rose? When was this talked about?

Back
Top Bottom