Giants sign Rowand --5 YRS. 60 MIL

I'm not excited about it, but at least it's something. Could you really imagine going into Spring Training with Roberts, Davis, and Winn as theoutfield? I just look at this as one piece of many to come in the next couple years. If they maintain their staff, which I'm REALLY hoping they do, andsign a hitter or two next year and then another hitter the following year they'll have some offense with people like Lincecum and Cain coming into theirprimes.

Who knows, maybe Angel Villalona will be ready by then.

But maybe I'm just being too optimistic...

[h3]WstCoastGotti said:[/h3]
Giants sign Rowand --5 YRS. 60 MIL

SAN FRANCISCO -- The Giants made their first major acquisition of the offseason, signing free-agent center fielder Aaron Rowand to a five-year contract Wednesday.

Terms of the deal were not disclosed, although the value of Rowand's contract was believed to have approached the five-year, $90 million package that Torii Hunter, another free-agent center fielder, recently received from the Los Angeles Angels.

So Rowand got $60 mil not $90 mil right?

Talk about overpaid.

With the exception of his "breakout" season last year of .309 AVG/27 HR/89 RBI/274 OBP, this guy hasn't hit over 13 home runs (except for 04'also), 2nd and 3rd highest RBI totals are 69 and 47, and hit only above .300 two times. This guy is basically Ryan Church, solid player but belongs at the botof your batting order and should not be paid much.

Oh well, all these players leaving the NL East, I def. do not mind.

The Phils lineup after their #4 hitter is not scary at all, Rowand did provide stability in the middle for the Phils last season.

I'm
ohwell.gif
about th is signing.

I like the signing...I would have loved Fukudome, but I'm also a Rowand fan.

He's a good OPS guy, gold-glove center fielder, and a great team player. Did you guys forget that he made the all-star team last season? I watched a tonof his at-bats last season, and was really impressed with his approach at the plate - his pitch selection, ability to drive the ball to right field, and evenhis situational hitting (which, with the exception of Omar, the Giants are TERRIBLE at...it's beyond me how a pro hitter can't put a ball in play tothe right side of the field with RISP hello Pedro Feliz). I'm positive that pro scouts see the same things...

Bottom line...Aaron Rowand is a gamer. This guy puts it on the line every time he steps on the field. That's a quality that is mostly foreign to theGiants.

Maybe even better news is the fact that Sabean is going to keep Cain and Lincecum.

As previously stated, now we're waiting for Angel Villalona

Burn916 said:
which, with the exception of Omar, the Giants are TERRIBLE at...it's beyond me how a pro hitter can't put a ball in play to the right side of the field with RISP hello Pedro Feliz).

So true, one of the reasons why I'm very anti-Pedro Feliz... But the Giants do suck as a whole when it comes to situational hitting. We doneed someone to hit behind runners and move them an extra 90 ft. I haven't watched Rowand a whole lot so I'll take your word for it.

Oh yeah, when I first heard this news that the Giants signed Rowand, I automatically thought of his glove and our spacious center field before I even thoughtabout his bat. Maybe this isn't a bad signing after all. I just haven't given it much thought. The Giants were terrible last season on offense, maybethis is a starting block?

[h3]Burn916 said:[/h3]
Maybe even better news is the fact that Sabean is going to keep Cain and Lincecum.

As previously stated, now we're waiting for Angel Villalona

There's hope for the Giants after all.
laugh.gif

Remember when people used to think Sabean should be GM of the year?

Yeah, that's two straight years of overpaying for overrated players.

Rajai Davis showed he can be a great defensive center fielder so to pay $60 million for defense is rediculous.

And to pay $60 for Rowand's bat is even more rediculous.

This signing just doesn't make any sense and Giants fans are just happen to see a new face around. Rowand is a good 6 hitter. We don't even have 3, 4,5 covered.

Originally Posted by truthmain

Dude fell off hard...

"Overpaid" is up to interpretation these days. Everybody is getting paid.

The Zito deal isn't as terrible as people make it out to be. He replaced Schmidt, was better than Schmidt, and stayed healthy. Yes, his first half waslame, but he had nothing but quality starts down the stretch. I think it's foolish to write him off at this point.

Sabean isn't innocent here, though...you do have a point. His particularly bad moves were the signings of players who were either too old (Dave Roberts),had low ceilings (Edgardo Alfonso), or had no heart (Ray Durham, AJ, Benitez, etc). I blame the Giants downfall on the last reason...you look at teams likeBoston and you'll see a roster full of players who are hungry, playing with a big heart and an iron pair, regardless of age (from Pedroia to Tek to Pap andeven Gabe Kapler). This is something that the Giants almost completely lack, with the exception of a few. I respect guys like The 'Holtz, who plays his%@+@off when he gets his chances, even though he's not the most gifted guy on the squad. This is why I see Rowand as a great addition. He's got thatseemingly rare combination of talent and desire

^ I agree that Rajai Davis makes spectacular plays in the field, but in my experience those types of outfielders are a dime a dozen...honestly Look at how thePirates replaced him with Nyjer Morgan. There is a difference between a guy who makes spectacular plays, and a guy who makes EVERY play. A few guys areoutstanding in both areas (Ichiro, Andruw, Torii). I don't want to discredit him too much, but Rajai Davis makes moderate plays look hard (think Jeff Kentat 2b). He relies on athleticism over technique, and trust me, that is not a plus.

On a scale of 1-10, I rate his talent a 4 and his desire a 10.

Blame should be put on McGowen for agreeing to these deals. He wants butts in the seats and thinks Zito and Rowand will solve the issue.

And people are forgetting that by getting the Alfonzo's, the Durham's, the Benitez's, the Alou's, the Cruz's, the Giants kept giving awaydraft picks. So while the Dodgers have players like Ethier, Kemp, and Laroche coming up from their system, we have Kevin Frandsen.

Originally Posted by Paul Is 0n NT

Originally Posted by truthmain

Dude fell off hard...

He also made one of the most lopsided trades in MLB history.
Piernasljfnanfkdasndq for Francisco Lireano, Joe Nathan and Boof Bonser
laugh.gif
smh.gif

^ I'm not trying to be Sabean's defense lawyer here, but you have to consider how that trade looked when he made it. Hey, I'm just as mad as youall are about it, but peep this article http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2006/07/november_14th_2_1.html

basic summary

Liriano: interesting raw prospect with major injury concerns
Bonser: impressive young starting pitching prospect whose stock fell a bit in '03
Nathan: converted starter coming off his best season; history of shoulder problems
Pierzynski: one of the game's best-hitting catchers entering his prime with several seasons before free agency

Giants were just one game away from winning the ship, with the same roster returning. Upgrading to AJ was pretty logical.

And be real...there are no "4" talents who make the all-star game (ok maybe Mark Redman
laugh.gif
)

i dont mind this signing. sure hes getting overpaid. but the giants needed a guy who had some pop in his bat. it does concern me though that he played lastyear in philadelphia which is one of the best hitter's parks around so his power numbers will very likely go down. but he gives 100% every single game andhe played in 161 games last year so he can help your team every day. the main thing i'm happy about though is that the giants got a decent hitter and didnthave to give up any pitchers like cain, lincecum, or lowry via trade. so i was mainly happy with the signing just because we most likely won't have toworry about those three guys getting traded any time soon.

That was his first and likely last All-Star game which came during a career year playing in a hitter's park. To think this man can hold his own in a weaklineup with no protection is ......
eyes.gif

the giants got a decent hitter and didnt have to give up any pitchers like cain, lincecum

I think that's how every giants fan should feel at the worst.

OK, Rowand played at a "hitter's park." Look at the splits. He still hit .299 away with an .843 OPS, and had 94 hits. Those are very good"away" numbers. By "hitter's park" you must mean a place where guys hit a ton of homeruns, and yes Ryan Howard, Chase Utley, and J-Rollhit a ton at Citizens Bank...from the left side of the plate...but that's besides the fact...the Giants didn't sign Rowand to replace Bonds'homerun production (though he was only off by one last season
tired.gif
laugh.gif
). Rowand is a guy who drives the ball to the gaps, and that gets thejob done. After watching Pedro Feliz swing a foot above fastballs season after season, I'm surprised they didn't look for a guy like Rowand sooner.

I'm not saying nobody here watches more baseball than I do, but it really sounds like some of you have never seen Aaron Rowand play aside from his oneall-star ab and the occasional fox saturday morning game. I probably watched 50+ ab's of his last season. HE IS A GAMER. I know it's difficult not tobe pessimistic as a Giants fan right now, but cmon.

He's not a bad pickup...but for the $.... he's not worth it, but then again neither is half the players and their inflated contracts.

Giants finally got their overpaid Outfielder after missing out on Gary Matthews Jr last season
laugh.gif

Back
Top Bottom