Giants sign Rowand --5 YRS. 60 MIL

You, my friend, have no idea what you're talking about. Rajai Davis and Fred Lewis are not quality. They can be a 4th outfielder on a team, but are not good enough to be starters.

Get quality pitching? If you're talking about the bullpen, I agree with you, but the rotation? The Giants have one of the best young rotations going with Lincecum, Cain, Lowry, Zito, and Correia.

Not good enough to be starters in terms of offensive production, or overall?

But like I said, you get the best player available that you feel will improve the team. And that's what they got.

By quality pitching, yes I did mean the bullpen.

Both. Freddy Lewis is not a good outfielder and I don't think he is a good enough hitter to be an everyday player. Rajai Davis? Ehh, we'll see. MaybeBochy will decide to let him play against right-handed pitching this year. Ridiculous.

1. Out of Davis, Lewis, Roberts, and 'Holtz, the Giants have zero outfielders worth starting in the major leagues. That's not to say that the youngguys can't get better, but I wouldn't think too hard about trading any of them.

2. Don't try to refute my statements with info from The McCovey Chronicles. I read it regularly, and as far as I can tell, Grant Brisbee has lost his mind.Sabean stated in the news not more than a few weeks ago that he received good offers for Lowry, but they were all from division rivals (you cannot tradepitchers inter-division...). He was lowballed recently (as in this week) by teams like the Reds.

Matsui for Sanchez was in the news as recently as last night. I don't think there's any way (at least, in a logical world) that Dave Roberts starts inleft field for the Giants next season. All of the outfielders and pitchers I've talked about are actively being shopped or are available, and anybody whoactually wants to hold onto them is contradicting their own desire for the Giants to get better.

1. "Holtz" was never given regular playing time to prove himself. He did hit .300 in the short time that he played so I would let him start in leftfield with Rowand in center and Winn in right. That's still a weak outfield but that's on Sabean for extending Winn. Having a home-grown outfielderin "Holtz" doesn't hurt because signing $60 million run of the mill outfielders isn't going to get you far.

2a. Grant has a lot more credibilty than you. Sorry.
2b. You lost your credibility when you started to believe what Sabean has to say. Lowry isn't C.C. Sabathia and shouldn't be treated like he'llshift the power in the NL West.

3. You think any GM is dying to get Dave Roberts, or any other pitcher not named Cain or Linecum? Really? The Giants would be getting 40 cents on the dollarfor them.

I like Nate but you're fooling yourself if you think he's really ready for the show. And you're right, GMs aren't drooling over anybody inthe Giants outfield, but that doesn't mean they won't be traded. There are teams who like Roberts as a pinch runner and I'm not even kidding. Look at his role on the Sox. The Padres and Giants were the ones silly enough to try to use him as an everyday outfielder when that's not where his valueis. 40 cents on the dollar seems good to me [russellpeters] you save 50 cent here, you save 50 cent somewhere else, you go to dollar store and buy somethingnice [/russellpeters]. I also never said Lowry was C.C. Sabathia. He's half the pitcher C.C. is (literally). You're talking about the Cy Youngwinner here...the pride of Vallejo HS
laugh.gif
...but remember that left handedstarters, even those who are slightly above average, will always have value in the league.

Grant has a lot more credibility than me because he runs a blog, eh? His dedication to writing about the Giants is certainly respectable, but thatdoesn't make him an authority. I'm not on NT to pull resumes, but I will say that some of the same players he rants about, I played with/against.

Back
Top Bottom