Gilbert Arenas and Crittenton draw guns at each other in locker room

Originally Posted by Carlos Tevez

This is what happens when you have a bunch of ignorant athletes with too much free time and money.

If this story is true, the Wizards organization should use this as an excuse to void Arenas and Crittenton's contracts. If the police lay charges then these two guys will probably be suspended by the NBA for a VERY long time.

Edit: And Arenas admitted to bringing weapons to the arena which probably means he'll get suspended anyway.

NBA players continue their string of embarrassing conduct...running into stands, ugly a.ss tattoos, checking into rehab for alcohol addiction at the age of 19, bringing guns to arenas, 60% of players being broke after retiring, intoxicated driving, wife beating etc.

You need a tall glass of shut the +%$$ up.

1. incident of running into stands, maybe 2 recent rehab check-ins, and one person bringing guns...Out of a population of how many!!??

Don't act like this type of activity is any less rampant by percentage in the normal population.

And I like your 60% figure you through out your %*% as well.

Watch them play or turn off the t.v. They aren't out there for you to morally judge them all based on the actions of a few.

I'm not protecting NBA players, but I'm just pointing out you're sounding real stupid trying to make some rash generalizations about these"bunch of ignorant athletes" just cuz the news is so quick to jump out at the 1 in 600 person who drives drunk.

I know that no one wants to say it, but a story like this why black people continue to stereotyped and characterized as stupid idiot ghetto thugs. The mediawill have field day. Two black NBA players pull guns on each other over gambling dispute. Wow.

Originally Posted by Cz7

I know that no one wants to say it, but a story like this why black people continue to stereotyped and characterized as stupid idiot ghetto thugs. The media will have field day. Two black NBA players pull guns on each other over gambling dispute. Wow.

AS A YOUTH I SEEN MY UNCLE AND DAD PULL GUNS ON EACH OTHER OVER A $250 SPADE GAME..

I'M NOT SUPRISED AT ALL THESE FOOLS PULLED GUNS OUT ON EACH OTHER.. I HOPE THIS IS FALSE THO
IT DOES GIVE US BLACK PEOPLE A BAD LOOK

Originally Posted by LiveFree

This is what happens when you have a bunch of ignorant athletes with too much free time and money.

If this story is true, the Wizards organization should use this as an excuse to void Arenas and Crittenton's contracts. If the police lay charges then these two guys will probably be suspended by the NBA for a VERY long time.

Edit: And Arenas admitted to bringing weapons to the arena which probably means he'll get suspended anyway.

NBA players continue their string of embarrassing conduct...running into stands, ugly a.ss tattoos, checking into rehab for alcohol addiction at the age of 19, bringing guns to arenas, 60% of players being broke after retiring, intoxicated driving, wife beating etc.

1. incident of running into stands, maybe 2 recent rehab check-ins, and one person bringing guns...Out of a population of how many!!??

Don't act like this type of activity is any less rampant by percentage in the normal population.

Watch them play or turn off the t.v. They aren't out there for you to morally judge them all based on the actions of a few.

I'm not protecting NBA players, but I'm just pointing out you're sounding real stupid trying to make some rash generalizations about these "bunch of ignorant athletes" just cuz the news is so quick to jump out at the 1 in 600 person who drives drunk.
I think the 60% thing is true. I'll try and find the article later.
edit: had it bookmarked http://niketalk.com/topic/162769?page=1

#BlackPeopleHaveGotToDoBetter
smh.gif

Gilbert Arenas is being paid SUPERSTAR/ALL-STAR money, and he's gonna do this nonsense?????

I hope this source isn't true
smh.gif

Originally Posted by Cz7

I know that no one wants to say it, but a story like this why black people continue to stereotyped and characterized as stupid idiot ghetto thugs. The media will have field day. Two black NBA players pull guns on each other over gambling dispute. Wow.

No, that's not why black people continue to be stereotyped as stupid idiot ghetto thugs.

It's one's initial prejudice or bias that actively seeks instances where their dysfunctional beliefs are reinforced, and they then focus on it thus,this instance is a stronger memory to rely on whenever they think back about black people's actions to reinforce their beliefs.

For Example:
If you saw 1000 smart educated black people, and then saw one who lived the stereotype, it is this stereotyped person that you're more likely to rememberand more likely to reference when reinforcing the belief that blacks are ghetto.

It's called Conformation Bias. Pretty standardhypothesis in the field of Social Psychology.

Originally Posted by one11archerave

I'm not protecting NBA players, but I'm just pointing out you're sounding real stupid trying to make some rash generalizations about these "bunch of ignorant athletes" just cuz the news is so quick to jump out at the 1 in 600 person who drives drunk.
I think the 60% thing is true. I'll try and find the article later.
edit: had it bookmarked http://niketalk.com/topic/162769?page=1
Interesting read. I recant my former statement then about getting it from his %+%.

I still doubt the number. It says 60% are "broke". What does broke mean. And what percentage of NBA players get a weak one year contract and neversign another contract again before someone better replaces them? I bet they count for a lot of those "broke" players.

I'll still admit 60% is closer to the truth than what I thought. However, I wouldn't agree that 60% of those signing 4+ million dollar contracts arebroke.

You are obviously being naive as to the number of incidents of NBA players misbehaving themselves. For example, there are a bunch of incidentsevery year where NBA players are caught driving drunk. Just off the top of my head, guys like James Posey, Carmelo, JJ Redick, Andres Nocioni have been citedfor impaired driving over recent years.

Your argument that that NBA players are no more guilty of misbehaving than the average person does not take into consideration that NBA players are ALWAYS inthe public spotlight and they are looked up to by a lot of people while on the other hand, no one gives a damn about the average person. Whenever an NBA playerleaves home, all eyes are on them. I'm not asking them to be role models, but the very least they can do is stay out of trouble for the sake of their fans,the community, their families and their teams. These players are obligated to participate in many type of "NBA Cares" charitable programs. Whetherthey like it or not, they are OBLIGATED to stay out of trouble.

And I like how you tried to dish out insults but you obviously aren't intelligent enough to conduct a simple Google search to see if I was "pullingthe 60% number out of my a.ss".

Here you go wise guy. I'll even highlight the statistic for you since you seem to lack the intellectual capacity to read an 8-page story...

http://sportsillustrated....e/MAG1153364/1/index.htm

• Within five years of retirement, an estimated 60% of former NBA players are broke.
This kind of reckless spending just goes to show you how impulsive some of these players are and how a lot of their transgressions are due totheir impulsiveness.

You are obviously being naive as to the number of incidents of NBA players misbehaving themselves. For example, there are a bunch of incidents every year where NBA players are caught driving drunk. Just off the top of my head, guys like James Posey, Carmelo, JJ Redick, Andres Nocioni have been cited for impaired driving over recent years.

No I'm not. I stand by original statements, that this doesn't happen anymore frequenlty in the NBA world than the normal population.

Your argument that that NBA players are no more guilty of misbehaving than the average person does not take into consideration that NBA players are ALWAYS in the public spotlight and they are looked up to by a lot of people while on the other hand, no one gives a damn about the average person. Whenever an NBA player leaves home, all eyes are on them. I'm not asking them to be role models, but the very least they can do is stay out of trouble for the sake of their fans, the community, their families and their teams. These players are obligated to participate in many type of "NBA Cares" charitable programs. Whether they like it or not, they are OBLIGATED to stay out of trouble.

I highlighted the only part of that paragraph that matters.
And I like how you tried to dish out insults but you obviously aren't intelligent enough to conduct a simple Google search to see if I was "pulling the 60% number out of my a.ss".

Here you go wise guy. I'll even highlight the statistic for you since you seem to lack the intellectual capacity to read an 8-page story...

• Within five years of retirement, an estimated 60% of former NBA players are broke.
This kind of reckless spending just goes to show you how impulsive some of these players are and how a lot of their transgressions are due to their impulsiveness.
Your insults on my intelligent are unwarranted as I conceded to the 60% estimate in my previous post.

If it makes you feel better, I can almost guarantee you're not on my level in terms of academia. That's all I'm going to say, I have too much tolose revealing info about my identity on the NT to prove my intelligence and this is way out of scope of the topic at hand.

In summation, you're view on athletes are, to say the least, inaccurate. My cousin played in the league for almost a decade and the biggest thing peopledon't realize is that after you see them on t.v they go home and lead their own lives.

The idea that they strive to achieve some model of citizenship that an old white man set is just REALLY REALLY stupid.
These are grown %@# men, who will do what they want for better or for worse.

The impact that of what little Suzy and Timmy might think of their actions are the LEAST of their worries, as the way it should be.

Just cause you're collecting a very big paycheck (to make your employer A %*%# TON OF MONEY), doesn't mean they should be held to any stronger ofstandards of personal freedom than any other employee in the U.S.

Those NBA players, like normal employees, who aren't smart enough to follow the law of society should be dealt with by the government. There are already rules and laws in place for these behaviors, there's nothing more that needs to be done to ensure that NBAplayers in particularly don't do these things.

People will be people, just cuz they are in the NBA does not give you any authority to dictate how they live. The day you make your first million as anordained saint who's perfect, you would look like much less of a hypocrite to talk against them.

eek.gif
I heard that the whole gun thing was linked to a beef weeks ago but Iain't know it was Javaris. I assumed it was off the court %%$% with someone else.

hes done. this is lifetime ban time stuff. lets see what kind of criminal charges come from this. why throw away millions like that? totalidiot.

The 60% number was from a "study" done by the player's association in an effort to increase NBA players pensions and retirements after theircareer. To say they would have reason to be biased and exaggerate would be an understatement.

And FWIW, Gilbert is considering suing the NY Post for libel.

Makes no sense whatsoever...fake thug @#@%%+, pulling guns on each other in a locker room both are lames for that and lost lots of points in my book....likereally someone was about to bust a cap? $*%* outta here wit that...

You are obviously being naive as to the number of incidents of NBA players misbehaving themselves. For example, there are a bunch of incidents every year where NBA players are caught driving drunk. Just off the top of my head, guys like James Posey, Carmelo, JJ Redick, Andres Nocioni have been cited for impaired driving over recent years.

No I'm not. I stand by original statements, that this doesn't happen anymore frequenlty in the NBA world than the normal population.

Your argument that that NBA players are no more guilty of misbehaving than the average person does not take into consideration that NBA players are ALWAYS in the public spotlight and they are looked up to by a lot of people while on the other hand, no one gives a damn about the average person. Whenever an NBA player leaves home, all eyes are on them. I'm not asking them to be role models, but the very least they can do is stay out of trouble for the sake of their fans, the community, their families and their teams. These players are obligated to participate in many type of "NBA Cares" charitable programs. Whether they like it or not, they are OBLIGATED to stay out of trouble.

And I like how you tried to dish out insults but you obviously aren't intelligent enough to conduct a simple Google search to see if I was "pulling the 60% number out of my a.ss".

This kind of reckless spending just goes to show you how impulsive some of these players are and how a lot of their transgressions are due to their impulsiveness.
Your insults on my intelligent are unwarranted as I conceded to the 60% estimate in my previous post.

If it makes you feel better, I can almost guarantee you're not on my level in terms of academia. That's all I'm going to say, I have too much to lose revealing info about my identity on the NT to prove my intelligence and this is way out of scope of the topic at hand.

In summation, you're view on athletes are, to say the least, inaccurate. My cousin played in the league for almost a decade and the biggest thing people don't realize is that after you see them on t.v they go home and lead their own lives.

The idea that they strive to achieve some model of citizenship that an old white man set is just REALLY REALLY stupid.

The impact that of what little Suzy and Timmy might think of their actions are the LEAST of their worries, as the way it should be.

Just cause you're collecting a very big paycheck (to make your employer A %*%# TON OF MONEY), doesn't mean they should be held to any stronger of standards of personal freedom than any other employee in the U.S.

Those NBA players, like normal employees, who aren't smart enough to follow the law of society should be dealt with by the government. There are already rules and laws in place for these behaviors, there's nothing more that needs to be done to ensure that NBA players in particularly don't do these things.

People will be people, just cuz they are in the NBA does not give you any authority to dictate how they live. They day you make your first million as an ordained saint who's perfect, you would look like much less of a hypocrite to talk against them.

You've made your stance pretty clear and I guess we'll just have to agree to disagree.

If you dont like your intelligence being questioned then perhaps you should reconsider insulting others or using profanity to articulate a point the next timeyou write a post.

My argument is that there are only about 400 guys in the NBA and they should as a whole behave themselves much better. As you already stated, the actions of afew unfairly stereotype the majority of players as being unruly thugs. However, you can not just dismiss these incidents of poor behavior simply because thecommon man is just as guilty as breaking the law as NBA players. Athletes in general are usually in the public spotlight and need to be more cautious aboutupholding an image the reflects their families, team mates, etc. in a better light. A lot of replies here concern these types of incidents making the rest ofthe black community look bad and their is good reason to be concerned. Again, no one is saying that you have to be a saint or a role model. But as a member ofa 400-player league, where the majority of the players are black, you should feel obligated to stay out of trouble as a way of improving the image ofAfrican-Americans in general.

And this is not just a "black thing", I mentioned other NBAers such as Reddick and Nocioni who have been arrested for foolish behavior as well. AllNBA players are obligated to behave themselves as a form of respect to the league that has made them millionaires and allowed them to fulfill their life timedreams of playing basketball for a living. Consider for example, an average man who works for a notable company. This man is cited for drivingimpaired/bringing guns to work/beating his wife/killing a passenger while driving recklessly, etc. and this becomes publicized in the media. What do you thinkis gonna happen? The company is gonna fire his a.ss because of the negative publicity. Unfortunately, NBA players are not punished harshly enough for breakingthe law and so negative behavior is repeated constantly. This is part of the reason why the NBA/black athletes/athletes in general have such piss poorreputations...because no one learns from previous mistakes and bad behavior is repeated.

i hav media outside my house...sumone tell them its to cold to be sittin out there they might get frost bite...it is winter still...
i understand this is serious..but if u ever met me you know i dont do serious things im a goof ball this story today dont sound goofy to me
roll.gif

This guy just don't know what he gotten himself to.

Originally Posted by DatZNasty

The 60% number was from a "study" done by the player's association in an effort to increase NBA players pensions and retirements after their career. To say they would have reason to be biased and exaggerate would be an understatement.

And FWIW, Gilbert is considering suing the NY Post for libel.

This is another thing I don't get...if you are 100% sure the story being reported about you is untrue, you don't "consider" anything if youare going to sue....either you do it, or you don't. If I was serious about suing, my lawyers would have been on speed dial as soon as this story broke. Didn't anyone else raise an eyebrow at the excuse for the guns being in the lockerroom was because of his daughter being born? C'mon now......thereare a million ways to get rid of guns, and you're going to tell me that you are going to bring them to your JOB to do so? That story he gave wasBS....also, ESPN is still having this news flash across the screen....they've been wrong about stuff before, but there has to be some truth to what isbeing reported. Not to mention the feds are involved in this matter.....this is just the tip of the iceberg.

If it makes you feel better, I can almost guarantee you're not on my level in terms of academia. That's all I'm going to say, I have too much to lose revealing info about my identity on the NT to prove my intelligence and this is way out of scope of the topic at hand.

In summation, you're view on athletes are, to say the least, inaccurate. My cousin played in the league for almost a decade and the biggest thing people don't realize is that after you see them on t.v they go home and lead their own lives.

Just cause you're collecting a very big paycheck (to make your employer A %*%# TON OF MONEY), doesn't mean they should be held to any stronger of standards of personal freedom than any other employee in the U.S.

Those NBA players, like normal employees, who aren't smart enough to follow the law of society should be dealt with by the government. There are already rules and laws in place for these behaviors, there's nothing more that needs to be done to ensure that NBA players in particularly don't do these things.

People will be people, just cuz they are in the NBA does not give you any authority to dictate how they live. The day you make your first million as an ordained saint who's perfect, you would look like much less of a hypocrite to talk against them.

If you're going to boast about your supposed level of academia, don't make elementary mistakes in doing so.

Back
Top Bottom