Gilbert Arenas and Crittenton draw guns at each other in locker room

Originally Posted by Carlos Tevez

You've made your stance pretty clear and I guess we'll just have to agree to disagree.

If you dont like your intelligence being questioned then perhaps you should reconsider insulting others or using profanity to articulate a point the next time you write a post.

Shut the %!#$ up, read a lot more insulting than it sounded in my head. I said it as I would talking to my friends. Don't know if that makessense, but I apologize for insulting you.
My argument is that there are only about 400 guys in the NBA and they should as a whole behave themselves much better. As you already stated, the actions of a few unfairly stereotype the majority of players as being unruly thugs. However, you can not just dismiss these incidents of poor behavior simply because the common man is just as guilty as breaking the law as NBA players. Athletes in general are usually in the public spotlight and need to be more cautious about upholding an image the reflects their families, team mates, etc. in a better light. A lot of replies here concern these types of incidents making the rest of the black community look bad and their is good reason to be concerned. Again, no one is saying that you have to be a saint or a role model. But as a member of a 400-player league, where the majority of the players are black, you should feel obligated to stay out of trouble as a way of improving the image of African-Americans in general.
In my previous post I touched on Confirmation Bias. Here below...
No, that's not why black people continue to be stereotyped as stupid idiot ghetto thugs.

It's one's initial prejudice or bias that actively seeks instances where their dysfunctional beliefs are reinforced, and they then focus on it thus, this instance is a stronger memory to rely on whenever they think back about black people's actions to reinforce their beliefs.

For Example:
If you saw 1000 smart educated black people, and then saw one who lived the stereotype, it is this stereotyped person that you're more likely to remember and more likely to reference when reinforcing the belief that blacks are ghetto.

It's called Conformation Bias. Pretty standard hypothesis in the field of Social Psychology.
The reason I touched on it was to emphasize that no matter how well the black community acts those who are prejudice will still be prejudicebecause their prejudice isn't dependant on reality but rather their dysfunctional views on reality. Thus, it is of no use trying not to make a better imageof blacks for racists idiots. They will be racist regardless as long as there is that one person they can find fulfilling the stereotype...which I think we canall agree, there always will be.

And this is not just a "black thing", I mentioned other NBAers such as Reddick and Nocioni who have been arrested for foolish behavior as well. All NBA players are obligated to behave themselves as a form of respect to the league that has made them millionaires and allowed them to fulfill their life time dreams of playing basketball for a living. Consider for example, an average man who works for a notable company. This man is cited for driving impaired/bringing guns to work/beating his wife/killing a passenger while driving recklessly, etc. and this becomes publicized in the media. What do you think is gonna happen? The company is gonna fire his a.ss because of the negative publicity. Unfortunately, NBA players are not punished harshly enough for breaking the law and so negative behavior is repeated constantly. This is part of the reason why the NBA/black athletes/athletes in general have such piss poor reputations...because no one learns from previous mistakes and bad behavior is repeated.

It's all about money. If the profit of their play and name trumps the loss of profit from negative publicity, then they will keep the player.
If the negative publicity is so much that it trumps the loss of income the player brings to the company (IEwhat happened with Tiger woods) Then they will drop the player.

Like I said earlier, there are already rules in place to punish those breaking the law, if you feel NBA players in particular aren't deterred enough youcan try to amend for stiffer punishment for the entire population.

Any other stiffer punishment would be imposing your moral values on the player. We already have laws that guide how we as citizens can act because the foundingfounders realized we all have different morals thus if we accept one set of laws to live by everything is fair game.

Since we all have different morals, how can we super-cede the constitution, to add stricter punishments for one domain (NBA) not in concern of financial gains,but on moral grounds?

Again, when these suspensions and bans are made when the player is no longer making your company profitable, I'm all for it!
Until then let the much more dynamic public court system take care of deviants.

The day that NBA choose to no longer collect revenue from jersey sales, tv contracts, and other endorsements money deviant players bring them, is when thehypocrisy ends.

How would you feel, if you make your company 80 million a year, but have to live like a Mormon in order to keep the companies image?

And and BTW: Just so we have no confusion, I think lots of these players actions are stupid, but as long as they are serve out their punishment by thegovernment like any other citizen, that's all I care.

oh damn this thing about to be blow wide open. 150k in debt though ? Cmon Gil , you made 15 millions last year. Pay the man

Originally Posted by TheTrapezeSwinger

In summation, you're view on athletes are, to say the least, inaccurate.
If you're going to boast about your supposed level of academia, don't make elementary mistakes in doing so.

So you scanned my 4+ paragraph that I didn't proof read for a grammatical error and felt it necessary to point out?

laugh.gif
I'm flattered that you think I could write that much text, notproof read, and it be entirely grammatically correct.

BTW: You forgot to mention the much more obvious incorrect use of "are" instead of "is" in reference to the singular "view."

To save you the trouble for the future, no matter my level of academia, I never will believe my NT posts are incapable of having grammatical errors.

Gil stop it please
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif

first the SHAQ drama..which im sorry to say wasnt true but it was great drama ..girls was throwin them panties Lt and rt 2 pay her bac
if u read the dates on the text on dec 23 we were gettn ready to celeb my daughter 3rd bday and march 5 the diesel was in houston playin
and she ws at hm..unless she knows how to teleport its hard to be in 2 places at one time..and if she can teleport i hope she does in the

I hope to God Gil doesn't get suspended

My fantasy basketball team would be devastated!

how u renig on 150 large yet you made 100x that?
smh.gif
Javaris shoulda snuffed him had he pulled out on him instead of doin the same

Originally Posted by I NaSmatic I

Gil is still tweeting
laugh.gif

Get this fool away from a computer asap Wizards PR.
why? at this point the Wizards don't care what he does.

Originally Posted by I NaSmatic I

Gil stop it please
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif

first the SHAQ drama..which im sorry to say wasnt true but it was great drama ..girls was throwin them panties Lt and rt 2 pay her bac
if u read the dates on the text on dec 23 we were gettn ready to celeb my daughter 3rd bday and march 5 the diesel was in houston playin
and she ws at hm..unless she knows how to teleport its hard to be in 2 places at one time..and if she can teleport i hope she does in the

Gil's in denial.
laugh.gif

indifferent.gif
indifferent.gif
indifferent.gif
indifferent.gif

then i see this on his twitter
and again if ur not laughing i dont think u should follow me becuz im never serious and i will never not say anything dumb and silly

dude must not read his own twitter.

Back
Top Bottom