GO TO SEASON THREAD.

They way I've heard, the Lakers don't have to trade him if they aren't getting back assets. They are going to have major cap space in 2014, only Nash is under contract at 9million.

In this case, since the Warriors have no cap space to get Dwight outright it is sort of in the Lakers' hands in regards to what they can get back. They can demand Bogut, Jefferson and one of Thompson or Barnes. I believe the magic number needed for the Warriors is $23 million worth of salary to the Lakers in a sign-and-trade involving Dwight.

Now if Dwight makes an ultimatum, "I'll sign with the Rockets and leave you with nothing or we can work a sign-and-trade with the Warriors for you to get something back without hurting long-term flexibility" then maybe that changes things.
Ok that makes sense.  Obviously Dwight would have to want to come here.  But I would think the Lakers would rather get something than nothing.
They way I've heard, the Lakers don't have to trade him if they aren't getting back assets. They are going to have major cap space in 2014, only Nash is under contract at 9million.
I dont agree with this at all.  I dont care if they are going to have major cap space in 2014 or not.  You seriously think they would rather get nothing than something for Dwight?  No chance.  And hell, if they make the trade for Bogut, you just made a moot point anyways.

Last edited:
My point, they aren't going to trade him for the sake of trading him. They can pick and choose a deal, and Bogut, Thompson, and Jefferson/Biedrins may not be better than something another team could offer.
I don't care though. I'd rather keep Bogut at $14 than Howard at 5/$118.

Last edited:
Your point is noted.  But like I said earlier, the Lakers arent going to be negotiating terms with any sort of position of power or leverage.  They can demand anything they want.  But the bottom line is, teams arent going to be incredibly interested in giving up some huge haul to a team that could likely end up with nothing. 

And you say another team could offer more.  True, they could.  But Howard would have to want to go there.  And going simply off of conjecture, out of the 5 or so teams that have reported interest in Dwight, I seriously doubt they could offer more than us.

And I dont care about the salary.  You'd take Bogut over Howard?  Ridiculous.  Just 12 months ago, there wasnt a single person in the world that wouldnt have been laughed out of a room for having that opinion.

Last edited:
If you could guarantee a finals appearance with Howard, I'd definitely take him. Howard at $23, Curry $10, and Lee at $14.. You better hope these 3 can win you a title.

Lakers don't have to trade Dwight.. They can let him walk and use the money to go after other free agents. They'll end up with something either way.

It's not like the cavs or Denver... They'll have players that will want to play for them.

Last edited:
Lakers don't have to trade Dwight.. They can let him walk and use the money to go after other free agents. They'll end up with something either way.

That's FALSE, with or without D12, Lakers have no extra resources to go after notable FAs this year

If you could guarantee a finals appearance with Howard, I'd definitely take him. Howard at $23, Curry $10, and Lee at $14.. You better hope these 3 can win you a title.
Guarantee a finals appearance? lol.  Come on DP.  So we shouldnt try to acquire the best talent we can if it cant "guarantee a finals appearance?"  I cant get behind that logic. 

And it looks like we are trying to trade Lee also.  I wouldnt worry about the money.  If we can get Dwight, we should do it.

I'm reading that Lee trade rumors are just to get a sense of value after his all-star season. I doubt he'll actually be traded.

I dont see how salary alone in any way hampers our future.  Having Andris and Jefferson's contracts coming off the books next year, we will not be strapped for cash. 

Am I the only one who wouldn't feel comfortable being on the hook for Dwight's max contract the next 5 years.
I aint a fan of his.

You guys are really asking why we can't trade Bogut and fillers for Howard? Really?

The Lakers are already over the cap for next season by a few million. The penalties for going over the cap get harsher each consecutive year you go over it.

Let's say they're $5M over the cap with whoever is signed for next year. They are going to have to pay about triple that in penalties, $15M.

Now why the hell would they take a combination of Bogut and filler (RJ) who combine to make about $23M next year? You know that will cost them the $23M in salaries PLUS and additional $70M in penalties? That's on top of the $15M in penalties they're going to pay with the roster they already have?

If you throw in a potential superstar like Barnes or Klay... that changes everything. They can eat the $70M penalty for one year if it locks up a great young player.

But still, if they were to make that move (or even if they don't), it still would be smart to amnesty Bean Bryant or Gasol.

You pull the trigger if it's Bogut, Klay, and Beans/RJeff. HB definitely has the higher ceiling. If we do give up HB, Klay has to learn to finish at the cup. It's Dwight folks. I get the idea of going all out next offseason, but realistically are we really getting Bron? I don't see another player next year better than Dwight other than Bron. With all that being said, he's going to Houston. 

No to Dwight if it means Barnes is leaving. He can be the best player on this team.

Good move if we can trade Dwight for Klay and Bogut but if I'm the Lakers, I'd definitely want Barnes and Bogut instead.

“@Chris_Broussard: Sources: in addition to Nets, Clippers and Warriors showing interest in Andray Blatche”
Looks like they're signing Blatche*

Last edited:
Clippers to meet with O.J. Mayo, Carl Landry on Tuesday
Brett Pollakoff Jul 2, 2013, 1:00 PM EDT
1 Comment

The Clippers re-signing of Chris Paul to a max contract in free agency this summer was only the beginning of their plans to add talent and tweak the roster so that it’s more immediately ready to compete for a championship under new head coach Doc Rivers.
The decision of whether or not to trade reserve guard Eric Bledsoe, who many around the league believe will evolve into a starting talent that the Clippers will be unable to afford to keep very soon, is being mulled by Rivers, but he’d like to keep him in the short term to see exactly what he’s got.
That hasn’t stopped Rivers from scheduling meetings with players they’d likely need to deal Bledsoe for in order to add to the roster — he reportedly met with J.J. Redick on Monday, and has a lunch date with O.J. Mayo on Tuesday.

RT @Chris_Broussard: Source: Doc Rivers and OJ Mayo meeting for lunch today. Clips & Mavs currently talking about a Mayo-for-Bledsoe swap
— Marc Stein (@ESPNSteinLine) July 2, 2013
Mayo is an unrestricted free agent, and L.A would likely need to work out a sign-and-trade in order to get him. The Mavericks are looking for immediate talent additions to avoid missing the playoffs again in one of Dirk Nowitzki‘s final seasons, so they’d likely want a young talent like Bledsoe back in return for Mayo’s services.
Another free agent the Clippers are looking at is Carl Landry, who is coming off a nice season as a reserve for the Warriors.

Carl Landry meets w/ Doc Rivers and Clippers tonight, sources tell Y! Free agent forward was a favorite of Chris Paul’s w/ New Orleans.
— Adrian Wojnarowski (@WojYahooNBA) July 2, 2013
Landry is an unrestricted free agent as well, though his salary range might make it so that L.A. can add him without parting ways with Bledsoe.
We’ll see how it all shakes out, but one thing is clear: The Clippers are in championship-or-bust mode, and that feels really strange to say.

Back
Top Bottom