Goodbye, 2010 COLLEGE FOOTBALL SEASON - twas a great year,

YB, and that goes back to me telling buddy that UM is NOT "traditionally rich" program.

correct?

what traditional program has half capacity at their home games regardless of record.

Texas still packs em in, Michigan has been Horrible 3 yrs running and their stadium is SRO.

Vols have endured one of the worst seasons and 3 coaching changed and still full stadium

thats what tradition you

The only reason Schiano turned Miami $ was money. There are plenty of coaches with UM interest. The issue has been money. Miami is notoriously cheap and unwilling to pay coaches. But Shalala has said money won't be an issue this time around...

Found the article:

Little-Known Fact About Jim Tressel: He Almost Coached the University of Miami
By Pat McManamon
Text SizeAAA
Print this page|EmailShare on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on DiggShare on Lifestream
It's a thought that seems too odd to consider legitimate, except it almost happened. Imagine: Jim Tressel, coach of the Miami Hurricanes.

Six years before he took the Ohio State job and while he was coach and athletic director at Youngstown State (then in Division I-AA), Tressel interviewed for the job and wowed UM officials to the point that he was under serious consideration to replace Dennis Erickson.

"The guy was unbelievable," said Larry Wahl, Miami's senior associate athletic director in 1995. "He was as good as any coach I had been around with his plans and philosophy and personality."

Wahl spent five hours interviewing Tressel while then-AD Paul Dee and two members of the Board of Trustees were in another town interviewing another coach. When Dee returned, Wahl pulled him aside and said: "This guy (Tressel) is going to knock you off your feet."

Tressel eventually removed his name from consideration, deciding it was not the right time to leave his home state. UM went on to hire Butch Davis, a coach it did not interview until Tressel withdrew. But that timeline does not reflect how close Tressel came to being hired at UM. In his interviews, Tressel had obliterated all concerns about a button-down, sweater-vest kind of guy, a Division I-AA coach, taking over the flamboyant Hurricanes.

"Jim was just so impressive that, at some point, you say there may be initial backlash, but he is so good and so impressive eventually he'll win the fans and (players) over," said Wahl, who is now the Orange Bowl's Vice President for Communications and Community Outreach. "Heck, there was initial backlash to Jimmy Johnson,too."

UM had finished 1994 10-2, a "disappointment" in south Florida. Erickson resigned to become coach of the Seattle Seahawks in the NFL. An NCAA investigation was hanging over the Hurricanes -- the brash group that arrived with swagger and attitude and played that way.

UM's administration -- including Dee and president Tad Foote -- had toned down some of the antics, but wanted them further toned down. So the athletic department decided it best to find a coach with experience as a head coach. Names like Sonny Lubick (Colorado State) and Barry Alvarez (Wisconsin) and Terry Bowden (Auburn) were swirling, but UM had quietly heard about the coach at Youngstown State who had won national titles.

Tressel was then what he is now. Conservative, to the vest (no pun intended). Miami knew it, but had seen Bowden succeed going from I-AA to Auburn, and decided to talk to Tressel.

"I had talked to a lot of people who thought he was the up-and-coming coach," Dee said.

Dee and two members of the UM Board of Trustees tried to avoid the media spotlight and holed at the Hyatt Hotel at Chicago's O'Hare Airport. They arranged for Tressel to fly to Chicago. But the day Tressel was scheduled to arrive, another coach -- Wahl preferred his name not be used, but it makes sense it might have been Alvarez -- said if UM wanted to interview him, it had to see him that day.

The three left, leaving Wahl behind. He spent five impressive hours with Tressel, and used words like "unbelievable" and "smart as hell' to describe the coach.

"One of the things I liked about him in doing research on him was that he already recruited inner-city kids," Wahl said. "He was recruiting inner-city Cleveland and Pittsburgh. Not only that, he recruited Florida. He had a lot of Florida kids on his Youngstown State roster.

"The other thing I was impressed with was that he adapted his style to the talent level. One year he had a dropback passer, one year he had a running quarterback."

Tressel arrived prepared, carrying a spiral-bound binder with intricate details about his approach.

"It had his philosophy and what he believed in and how he planned to deal with kids and problems and all those kind of things," Wahl said. "Class work and academics and everything else."

Dee returned later that day with the Trustees, and the three spent more time with Tressel.

"They all came away with the same opinion I had," Wahl said.

Suddenly the coach from Division I-AA was not only on Miami's radar, but on it in a prominent way.

"We were down the road," said Dee, who now teaches sports law and sports management at the UM Law and Graduate schools.

The group was aware of the one concern the public might have: How can a coach from I-AA handle, as Wahl called them, the "different breed of cat at Miami." But the more they talked to Tressel, the less they worried.

"I always had the impression that he was a person who knew how to handle young men and would do a good job of it," Dee said simply.

http://ncaafootball.fanho...cid=edlinkusspor00000003

Originally Posted by 5am6oody72

Marquise Williams about to verbal to VT any minute now...where you at Juicy?
laugh.gif
Believe it cus you're about to see it.
tongue.gif

you been saying for months now dude would verbal to VT. one of these days you going to be right?

Originally Posted by GUNNA GET IT

Again you don't know what you're talking about. Both Leach and Schiano interviewed when Coker was fired. People want the job.

laugh.gif
how can I not know what Im talkin about when I ASKED a question ... its called gathering information.

if your gonna debate me about a situation and I ask "who wanted the job?" at least tell me who

laugh.gif
laugh.gif
now ur splitting hairs about a fan base, no fan base and no alumni base. thats the most ridiculous thing Ive ever heard.

Usually, alumni and fans go hand n hand

this is why people dont take UM fans serious, every scenario has an excuse or some sort of reasoning.

Who's making excuses?

I'm giving you the facts. What small private school you know that charges 40k a year in tuition and has a small enrollment has 70k+ fans in the seats every game?

Even in '02 when Miami was undefeated and coming off a NC we struggled with attendance.

In college football your fan base is mostly students and alumni. If you have a small student enrollment...you're going to have a smaller alumni base. Smaller alumni base = smaller fan base. It's simple. I don't know what there is to debate.

youre the only one debating, because I know alumni is a PART of the fan base, I didnt try to split that fact.

and now tuition ...

all that equates to me saying that Miami Fan base is crap. I just didnt give u a spread sheet, PNLs and excuses.

alot of jobs could open up
miami
UNC
Michigan
UCLA
Ole Miss
Minnestoa
west virgina
Georgia
colorado
pitt

Okay he interviewed 6 years before he even got there. You made it seem like he interviewed while he was with the buckeyes. My bad

Originally Posted by GUNNA GET IT

YB, and that goes back to me telling buddy that UM is NOT "traditionally rich" program.

correct?

what traditional program has half capacity at their home games regardless of record.

Texas still packs em in, Michigan has been Horrible 3 yrs running and their stadium is SRO.

Vols have endured one of the worst seasons and 3 coaching changed and still full stadium

thats what tradition you
I get what you're saying but at the same time the meaning of tradition covers a vast area. Just because we don't have the crazed fan base like other schools showing up when our teams are down doesn't take away from our tradition. 
History plays just as big a part of tradition than anything else. That alone could make the argument that we're "traditionally rich". It may not mean the same as other schools like a Michigan, Tennessee, or Alabama but the past 30 years have shown that the Miami program is nothing like those type of schools.

Success and failure plays a large part of perception in a school and Miami is a prime example of this fact. Look at from 2000 - 2003, while we were winning no one was mentioning our fan base or facilities. Once we started our slide everyone wanted to try to pick a reason for it. Someone people wanted to point at our fan base, others wanted to pick the facilities as the reason. While we were winning none of these issues were coming up. The simple fact was that our coaching sucked and it's still the reason. 

The area surrounding Miami will allow for any good coach the chance at major success. That's basically what the major selling point is the program and has always been.

Originally Posted by Bigmike23

laugh.gif
tongue.gif

you been saying for months now dude would verbal to VT. one of these days you going to be right?

I know it seems like it's been months but if you look back a few months ago I posted that he was a lock to UNC (and he was at that time before the investigation started). I've only been saying he'd switch to us in the past month and a half or so. 
I'll retire from this screen name if he doesn't verbal today. 

EDIT: Guess I'll have to take the L and retire my screen name
laugh.gif

This one dude on Techsideline (sn SlimShadyVT) has a gimmick where he just posts "Please stand up!" every time a recruit is going to commit that day. I've been on there two years and never once has somebody not committed on the day that he posts that. He posted that at around noon today. Oftentimes other people on TSL or on Rivals will post about somebody committing before Slim does, but he knows the coaching staff and is usually the one to give the word to make it "official." In addition to that, two other sources on the Rivals pay MB's said yesterday that he was gonna announce today (they are independent of the SlimShady guy), and confirmed this morning that we'd be hearing good news on that front this afternoon. 

Going even FURTHER, my friend's dad, who is a booster and pretty involved with VT Athletics (mostly through bball though. He knows the Slim character but won't tell me who it is) sits behind where all the recruits sit when they visit. He talked to MW at the UVA game and MW told him he was committing today. (I talked to him after the game at his tailgate, I didn't get anything secondhand from my friend). 

So given all that, I think anyone can see why I posted what I did. About double the confirmation I would normally get on the boards AND confirmation from somebody I know and trust personally who talked to MW. The only thing I can think is that he's having second thoughts because Lafonte Thourogood (another QB, but might switch positions) just committed after the game yesterday, which is logical. 

laugh.gif
tongue.gif

laugh.gif

30t6p3b.gif
Urban.

so u gonna dump the responsibility of the entire football program on Adazio in the off season after your bout with indigestion , then cut him loose when the Offense struggles ...

Life must be good in Gainesville

Well our AD Kirby Hocutt just said money won't be a problem and will do whatever it takes to get back to the top.

We have to get this hire right then

Has anyone on here been to the Rose Bowl or live in the area? I have alot of questions I need answered because it looks like thats where Ill be in January. I just want some info on best area to stay, things to do, stuff like that.

nah nah nah, you're all missing the most important point made during this whole argument

Originally Posted by Mr Marcus

Let's be real....gunna you stay throwing salt at Miami ...still got wounds from not getting recruited by them
laugh.gif
nah if I came back to reality w/ Miami them you know we got a ways to go....sad to see other fans stuck in this fantasy world ....Miami fans are the most annoying in college football and its sad to say considering I'm a fan...
30t6p3b.gif

owwwww

Ohh-My.jpg

laugh.gif

but anyways what are the chances of Charlie Strong leaving UL to go coach the U?  i realize it's a talent-rich region, but there was a time for a few (several?) years when louisville was just as good a team as the hurricanes.  is miami that much better a program/athletic department than louisville?

and bob stoops? what?  why would he leave oklahoma for miami? (im genuinely asking.)

Originally Posted by Trelvis Tha Thrilla

Has anyone on here been to the Rose Bowl or live in the area? I have alot of questions I need answered because it looks like thats where Ill be in January. I just want some info on best area to stay, things to do, stuff like that.

ask away

I read that there's a slight chance the Rose Bowl and Orange Bowl might make a swap after the selections occur. (This is allowed, I can't remember when it was done last but it almost happened in 08 with Oklahoma and Kansas swapping spots, but the Big 10 conference commissioner did not approve it). I wouldn't be surprised if they tried to switch TCU and Stanford's spots, since Stanford's fanbase is so close  to the Rose Bowl and would have a harder time traveling to Miami. This would also preserve the traditional Big 10/Pac 10 matchup that the Rose Bowl loves.

I guess there's not an appreciable difference in travel for TCU fans between the OB and Rose Bowl, but I'd definitely rather play in the Rose Bowl.

Depends on who we hire what offense we'll go to but traditionally we've been pro-style so i'm assuming that's what the AD is looking for.

Also hearing our price range is 2-2.5 Mil and there has been a lot of interest. (2-2.5 mil would put us in the top 20 http://www.americasbeston...highestpaidcoaches.html)

AD said he started putting together a list days ago and that money won't be a factor in the press conference. So Shannon's firing had already been in the works and it was probably happening whether we beat USF yesterday or not.

ask away

I pm'ed you

I read that there's a slight chance the Rose Bowl and Orange Bowl might make a swap after the selections occur. (This is allowed, I can't remember when it was done last but it almost happened in 08 with Oklahoma and Kansas swapping spots, but the Big 10 conference commissioner did not approve it).

Not going to happen. Rose Bowl has to take highest ranked non-AQ if they have an opening. Its in the rules. I dont get why people cant understand this.

I read that there's a slight chance the Rose Bowl and Orange Bowl might make a swap after the selections occur. (This is allowed, I can't remember when it was done last but it almost happened in 08 with Oklahoma and Kansas swapping spots, but the Big 10 conference commissioner did not approve it). I wouldn't be surprised if they tried to switch TCU and Stanford's spots, since Stanford's fanbase is so close  to the Rose Bowl and would have a harder time traveling to Miami. This would also preserve the traditional Big 10/Pac 10 matchup that the Rose Bowl loves.

I guess there's not an appreciable difference in travel for TCU fans between the OB and Rose Bowl, but I'd definitely rather play in the Rose Bowl.

same place you read about Marquise Williams at?

Back
Top Bottom