Goodbye, 2010 COLLEGE FOOTBALL SEASON - twas a great year,

Originally Posted by Noskey

W. Virginia
30t6p3b.gif

I'm happy all these games I guessed wrong in the Bowl Pick Em are at the bottom of the bracket.
I begged my friends not to take NC State to cover in this game for our Bowl Pool, but my one friend's uncle is a supposed expert at sports gambling (he actually makes the odds at Pimlico so I guess he's pretty experienced) and for whatever reason he told us that he was 100% confident NC State would cover and win. So I went with it; sooooo glad I did
laugh.gif

My friend also took Arizona to cover +5.5
30t6p3b.gif
30t6p3b.gif
There's just no way that will happen. 

Talk about hitting the truck stick
eek.gif
pimp.gif
pimp.gif

whenever I look at Noel, I think damn only if he could've stay healthy...
30t6p3b.gif
...that 1st yr he had, next to Steve Slaton...
sick.gif
I thought for sure he would destroyed all WVU rushing stats...oh well hopefully a team will give him a legit shot

Originally Posted by AirMaxBuckeye

Originally Posted by Fear The Ibis

Golden offered Dallas Crawford
pimp.gif
Any chance he bites?

Probably. Fav school growing up. Rich Rod job uncertainty. We were in his top 3 even when Randy didn't want to offer him because he's shorter than 5'11"

end run to landing Watkins?

Golden Al is goin hard in the paint...

He's got Byron Moore's ear. and he's got some interest from Johnson & Holliman's ... wonder if he can get that duo away from Strong,

Russel Spaulding Wilson was unstoppable last night. That last TD pass he threw the defense had no chance. He was looking like MV7 out there.

The INT was the play of the game IMO. If the dude whiffs on that ball that's a TD and WVa is back in it, but Bishop made one hell of a play on that ball.

In the past 2 days the Harbaugh steam is picking up. I am not getting too excited/invested until a presser is set.

The main thing is, this entire staff cannot be back next year. Robinson is most likely going to fall on the grenade and if RR is back so will Gibson which means another 8 or less win season. Yes 1 coach makes that big of a difference when he is the Assoc HC, ST coach and has last say with the D.

If Jimmy comes to Michigan, I wonder if he will get Wheatley as his RB coach. Lots of people think he has a bright future in coaching.

JH has a pretty nice class going over at Stanford, I wonder if he does end up at Michigan if he'll talk some of those kids into coming there.

[h1]Bowl CEO wanted Buckeyes eligible[/h1]

FOX Sports

PRINT RSS

134 comments »

Updated Dec 29, 2010 2:45 PM ET

Sugar Bowl CEO Paul Hoolahan lobbied Ohio State University to make sure five of its football players — including star quarterback Terrelle Pryor — would not be suspended for the game against Arkansas, The Columbus Dispatch reported Wednesday.

[h3]IT'S THE POSTSEASON[/h3]
Ohio State announced last week that Pryor, leading rusher Dan Herron, starting wide receiver DeVier Posey, starting offensive tackle Mike Adams and defensive end Solomon Thomas would be suspended for the first five games of next season for violating NCAA rules.

Pryor and his teammates sold memorabilia, including Big Ten championship rings, in exchange for tattoos at a Columbus parlor and cash.

But the players were reinstated by the NCAA for the Jan. 4 Sugar Bowl after a successful lobbying effort by OSU athletic director Gene Smith and Big Ten commissioner Jim Delany.

Hoolahan said he appealed to Smith to do everything he could to ensure the Buckeyes players could be in uniform in New Orleans.

"I made the point that anything that could be done to preserve the integrity of this year's game, we would greatly appreciate it," Hoolahan said. "That appeal did not fall on deaf ears, and I'm extremely excited about it, that the Buckeyes are coming in at full strength and with no dilution."

Many Ohio State fans believe the suspensions should start immediately.

"I appreciate and fully understand the Midwestern values and ethics behind that," Hoolahan said. "But I'm probably thinking of this from a selfish perspective."
The five players apologized for their actions Tuesday at a news conference. A sixth player, linebacker Brandon Whiting, received a one-game suspension.
Publish date: Dec 29, 2010
[h2]NCAA statement on fairness of rules decisions[/h2]
Several media and others recently concluded that very different situations involving student-athlete eligibility should be considered independent of their unique circumstances or interpreted with a "one size fits all" approach.

In particular, they are comparing recent decisions involving The Ohio State University and Auburn University (and others). Some have even suggested the NCAA plays favorites in these types of situations based in part or in whole on financial considerations.

Nothing could be farther from the truth.

In relation to the decision last week involving rules violations with football student-athletes at Ohio State, several current student-athletes were interviewed as part of our fact-gathering process. They indicated they were not aware there was a violation and learned of the issue based on later rules education, which was confirmed by OSU through interviews and supporting documentation.

Inadequate rules education is often cited in student-athlete reinstatement and other waiver cases (such as inaccurate or misguided academic advising), but it is just one of many factors considered in these types of situations. 

As for the broader issue of a student escaping penalties based on their lack of knowledge, there also have been reports in the media that the recent ruling related to Cam Newton's eligibility will encourage parents or third-parties to solicit benefits or money during the recruiting process while keeping the student in the dark as to their activities.

Again, this strays from the truth. 

While efforts are being championed by NCAA President Mark Emmert to further clarify and strengthen recruiting and amateurism rules when benefits or money are solicited (but not received), current NCAA rules would be violated and students declared ineligible should a parent or third party receive benefits or money, regardless of the student's knowledge.

Put simply, had Cam Newton's father or a third party actually received money or benefits for his recruitment, Cam Newton would have been declared ineligible regardless of his lack of knowledge.

There have been questions as well since last week related to the withholding policy and student-athlete reinstatement for NCAA championships and bowl games. This policy was developed and implemented by the Division I membership, specifically the Division I Committee on Student-Athlete Reinstatement and approved by the Division I Academics/Eligibility/Compliance Cabinet, in 2004. It allows for suspending a reinstatement condition in specific instances involving NCAA championships or bowl games.  It recognizes the unique opportunity these events provide at the end of a season, and they are evaluated differently from a withholding perspective for student-athlete reinstatement. In the Ohio State situation, the facts are consistent with the established policy.

Finally, the notion that the NCAA is selective with its eligibility decisions and rules enforcement is another myth with no basis in fact. Money is not a motivator or factor as to why one school would get a particular decision versus another. Any insinuation that revenue from bowl games in particular would influence NCAA decisions is absurd, because schools and conferences receive that revenue, not the NCAA.

^ Doesn't change the fact that one player does one thing, gets a certain punishment. Another player does the same or similar (or worse) and pleads ignorance of the rules and gets a lesser punishment. Even if they are acting consistent to their current bylaws, that just means the problem lies specifically in the stupidity of how the rules were written and interpreted.

Dez Bryant being suspended for a year immediately for paying a discounted entrance fee in a venue and lying (although he went back and told the truth) while pryor and the others get a deferred punishment (possibly no punishment if they decide to bounce and avoid being hurt by this at all) is stupid.

Although I like him, the handling of the Cam Newton situation is stupid.

The NCAA needs to recognize the problem lies with THEM and address it.

Back
Top Bottom