GRADUATE STUDENTS OF NT

University of Maryland pharmacy school, moving there from the Bay Area. The loans i think i'm about to have to take out...:frown:
Yea I'm looking into going to university of the Maryland for food science. I need to get in contact with so I can take a tour.

Good thread...YO to all the NUPES in here #Achieving MP-Fa12-7Klub , but lets get to business

I just moved to College Park, MD on Monday and am about to begin my final internship as a grant-writing and sponsorship intern for a Gov't agency out here.
I go to school at the U of TN-Knoxville and I graduate in the fall with a 3.25 maybe a 3.3 when its all said and done. I am planning to take the GRE in August so I have begun studying now, as I want to pursue my MPA/MPP along with and MUP (only certain schools have the dual degree). I have gotten around to two schools so far in this free week I have and I learned about a public policy graduate program fair here in DC in mid-july. Up to this point I am gonna apply to six schools and so far the lineup by preference goes:

1.The University of Michigan dual MPP/MUP- Great school, great alumni network, in-state tuition, great athletics so I can stay sane, one professor who I REALLY want to do policy research within a sports scope with,etc.
2. The University of Washington-Seattle dual MPA/MUP- Great school, great alum network out west, Seattle is dope, athletics for my free time, VERY nice faculty,etc
3. The University of Maryland-College Park- MPP- Great school, camps location, up and coming program with GREAT DMV connections
4.The University of Wisconsin-Madison-MPA/MUP- Same reasons as #2, except Madison is dope and Wisc has a great chicago connection
5. University of Southern Cal- MPP/MUP Great School, Great Cali network, LA lifestyle for free time
6.4-way tie between Texas A&M, Duke, Rutgers, U of MN- I'll let the Grad fair decide my sixth spot (REALLY hoping for one of my top-5)

I am a MI native and while my undergrad experience was great, I just do not think the south is a place for me. Not that I cant live there, but I just feel my quality of life is better up north/out west. I am also African-American male so I am oping that can play a key role in my recruitment as my demographic is very underrepresented in graduate school period, let alone these policy programs. I believe that if I can do well (75 percentile or higher) on GRE and have a great final semester (basically ALL policy classes) that I can get in almost anywhere. As far as funding goes, we shall see, but Michigan is a better school than most and having in-state tuition would make it a no-brainer if I got in.

Pray for me guys as this next six months will determine a lot for the direction of my life the next 2-3 years!!

Got into Harvard Law, NYU, Princeton, Yale...turned down by UCLA and UVA :smh:

Um.... :nerd: Not to be that guy... but there's no such thing as princeton law school... I mean there was... many years ago, but there's no way you were accepted into a law school that doesnt exist.... Also not quite sure why you'd be upset at a rejection from UCLA or UVA IF u were accepted and have your pick of the top two law schools in the country... but maybe u were just joking :rolleyes

Good thread...YO to all the NUPES in here #Achieving MP-Fa12-7Klub , but lets get to business

I just moved to College Park, MD on Monday and am about to begin my final internship as a grant-writing and sponsorship intern for a Gov't agency out here.
I go to school at the U of TN-Knoxville and I graduate in the fall with a 3.25 maybe a 3.3 when its all said and done. I am planning to take the GRE in August so I have begun studying now, as I want to pursue my MPA/MPP along with and MUP (only certain schools have the dual degree). I have gotten around to two schools so far in this free week I have and I learned about a public policy graduate program fair here in DC in mid-july. Up to this point I am gonna apply to six schools and so far the lineup by preference goes:

1.The University of Michigan dual MPP/MUP- Great school, great alumni network, in-state tuition, great athletics so I can stay sane, one professor who I REALLY want to do policy research within a sports scope with,etc.
2. The University of Washington-Seattle dual MPA/MUP- Great school, great alum network out west, Seattle is dope, athletics for my free time, VERY nice faculty,etc
3. The University of Maryland-College Park- MPP- Great school, camps location, up and coming program with GREAT DMV connections
4.The University of Wisconsin-Madison-MPA/MUP- Same reasons as #2, except Madison is dope and Wisc has a great chicago connection
5. University of Southern Cal- MPP/MUP Great School, Great Cali network, LA lifestyle for free time
6.4-way tie between Texas A&M, Duke, Rutgers, U of MN- I'll let the Grad fair decide my sixth spot (REALLY hoping for one of my top-5)

I am a MI native and while my undergrad experience was great, I just do not think the south is a place for me. Not that I cant live there, but I just feel my quality of life is better up north/out west. I am also African-American male so I am oping that can play a key role in my recruitment as my demographic is very underrepresented in graduate school period, let alone these policy programs. I believe that if I can do well (75 percentile or higher) on GRE and have a great final semester (basically ALL policy classes) that I can get in almost anywhere. As far as funding goes, we shall see, but Michigan is a better school than most and having in-state tuition would make it a no-brainer if I got in.

Pray for me guys as this next six months will determine a lot for the direction of my life the next 2-3 years!!

[COLOR=#red]Yo Yo Nupe!!!

So I'm looking at your list and I see nothing but great schools. Couldn't help but noticing Texas A&M so basically I'm going to try to recruit you and that's only because it's already kind of on your radar already :rofl:.

The Bush School of Government and Public Service is a great and WELL connected program. President Herbert Walker Bush (OG Bush) started it and he shows up from time to time. He puts a lot into the school and provides it with his connections. I met him personally and talked to him a few months ago while he was visiting. Also the acting Dean was the former Chief of Staff at the White House for George W (Young Bush). The school has so much money that everybody that gets admitted gets some scholarship money and EVERYBODY admitted gets in-state tuition no matter what state you are coming from. Texas A&M network is one of the deepest and well connected in the country. You'll have a job when you graduate. I'll hit you up in PM bro.

SP was already set on tOSU so there was no hope for me with that. But tOSU is a great school so he good.[/COLOR]

[COLOR=#red]Yo Yo Nupe!!!

So I'm looking at your list and I see nothing but great schools. Couldn't help but noticing Texas A&M so basically I'm going to try to recruit you and that's only because it's already kind of on your radar already :rofl:.

The Bush School of Government and Public Service is a great and WELL connected program. President Herbert Walker Bush (OG Bush) started it and he shows up from time to time. He puts a lot into the school and provides it with his connections. I met him personally and talked to him a few months ago while he was visiting. Also the acting Dean was the former Chief of Staff at the White House for George W (Young Bush). The school has so much money that everybody that gets admitted gets some scholarship money and EVERYBODY admitted gets in-state tuition no matter what state you are coming from. Texas A&M network is one of the deepest and well connected in the country. You'll have a job when you graduate. I'll hit you up in PM bro.

SP was already set on tOSU so there was no hope for me with that. But tOSU is a great school so he good.[/COLOR]

Um.... :nerd: Not to be that guy... but there's no such thing as princeton law school... I mean there was... many years ago, but there's no way you were accepted into a law school that doesnt exist.... Also not quite sure why you'd be upset at a rejection from UCLA or UVA IF u were accepted and have your pick of the top two law schools in the country... but maybe u were just joking :rolleyes

Yeah I'm BOALT bound smh.

Nupes in here heavy. YO! Taking the LSAT June 10th and will be applying in the fall for 2014.

Yea we are in here heavy good to see bruhs achieving. Possible NTnupe GroupMe coming soon?

Just about to finish up my first year of med school, and it has been quite the journey to say the least.

I know second years about to get all hectic, but can't wait to soak it all in and make it to wards! 

Just a word of advice to those thinking about getting into medicine, if you don't think you can do it bc you were average in undergrad, don't let that deter you!

My GPA was average at best, but once you get into school and you submerge yourself into that mindset of becoming a physician, it will all fall into place.

I thought I was going to struggle mightily. I was young(entered when I was 21), did avg in terms of GPA in college, and I really had no experience in the health care field compared to everyone else in my class who was the exact opposite of me, but I used that to my advantage as a driving force. I knew I was starting in a hole, and it was my job to get out of it. If you have the right attitude and get into the right mindset of being able to critically think and apply, nothing will get in your way. I promise you that! I'm not saying school won't be difficult, sacrifices will be made, but don't ever sell yourself short of your capabilities. I never thought I'd be in the position I am today, neither did my classmates because they just saw me as a kid(I still get called doogie howser). So keep on keepin on!

Anyways, glad to see all my NT fam doing well. It makes me nothing short of proud to see everyone doing big things. Best wishes moving forward with everyone, hope everyone continues to do well and enjoys their summer!

As for me, my summer will be composed of clinical shadowing at Children's Hospital Orange County, so stoked!!

PS: if anyone has any questions about anything please don't hesitate to hit me up! I know I'm gonna need some advice when residency time rolls around for me..haha

Gonna take the GRE sometime this year.
signed up for the july 27th test. not ready man...
frown.gif

Congrats bro! Is it going to be FT or PT?

I'm going to take the GMAT one more time and apply this fall. The schools I apply to will be dependent upon my score.

Since a lot of you guys are from Texas, how's Mccombs in terms of prestige and recruiting?
every major company that I can think of recruits there...

Can anyone name a more prestigious business school than ut outside of The M7?

True true. Thanks Ricky.

I doubt I'll get in just wanted to know. I read up a little bit, I know the big 4 etc recruit from there just don't know how heavily. I'm trying to figure out what most people do when they graduate from there, e.g consulting, banking, etc.

Goal is a top 25, just need to improve on my previous score. I'd loe to stay in Cali but we'll see. Cali has nice schools like Haas, Anderson, Marshall and of course GSB but I'm having doubts on if I can get in... :frown:

Any recommendation on whether to do full time or a part time MBA?

Thanks! I'm doing full-time. I got into CMU (Tepper). The reason I'm hesitating is I got in off the waitlist rather than in March, and I have very little prep time to matriculate since school would begin in August. I also feel another year could help me be better prepared for business school as well as help with my ability to recruit for a good job.

My coworker's wife went to McCombs. That's a great school, in the grand scheme it's a top-20 school. She was able to get a great job at Adobe post-MBA, so it definitely worked for her.
I feel outside of the top 7-8 schools, there isn't much differentiation in the top 20. It boils down to fit and what you want to accomplish post-MBA. For example, Anderson (UCLA) is great for the entertainment industry; McCombs (Texas) is great for the oil industry. That doesn't mean it's the only thing it's good at but if you have specific goals in mind some schools can help you succeed more than others.

Regarding FT vs. PT, in my opinion, part-time is for people who want to advance in their company and/or have no choice to get their MBA otherwise (family obligations, etc.). To me, it would make sense if you're already a company you've wanted to be in, and you want to advance. Outside of that situation, full-time is better because you get the whole slate and experience, and get the networking and recruiting events you simply can't do in a part-time situation. It's also probably a must if you are a "career-changer".

Congrats on getting into Tepper Acid! That's big time. I remember talking to you when you first got out of school, you've come a long way since then! Happy for you bro.

Also thanks for the insight as well. I'm still debating on which schools to apply and it's still all dependent on what score i get on my next GMAT. Hoping for a nice score, I did pretty good last time, hoping I can crack that elusive 90 percentile but that's a tall order.

I'm definitely leaning toward a career transition so FT would probably be a better fit, but the thought of being in so much debt afterward scares me and that's why I'm thinking about doing PT and hopefully landing a job wherever I go for school.

Anyone have any tips for the GMAT? I'm gonna be studying probably for 2 months straight before taking the test in August just before first round ends for B-Schools. I'm using Manhattan test prep books.

Congrats on getting into Tepper Acid! That's big time. I remember talking to you when you first got out of school, you've come a long way since then! Happy for you bro.

Also thanks for the insight as well. I'm still debating on which schools to apply and it's still all dependent on what score i get on my next GMAT. Hoping for a nice score, I did pretty good last time, hoping I can crack that elusive 90 percentile but that's a tall order.

I'm definitely leaning toward a career transition so FT would probably be a better fit, but the thought of being in so much debt afterward scares me and that's why I'm thinking about doing PT and hopefully landing a job wherever I go for school.

Anyone have any tips for the GMAT? I'm gonna be studying probably for 2 months straight before taking the test in August just before first round ends for B-Schools. I'm using Manhattan test prep books.

Man, I thought I wrote this, sounds like we got the same plans and thoughts :lol:

Hoping for a 700 on the GMAT and getting into a top 25 school. Definitely leaning towards a career change too, worried about my lack of "prestigious" work experience (small, but growing and not really "name brands") and letter of recs (hey boss, can you write me a glowing letter so I can get the $#%^ outta here :lol: ) though.

Started studying a few days ago, data sufficiency is gotta be a B. Once I get thru this official GMAT study guide, I'm gonna cop a couple of the Manhattan study guides, heard they are by far the best.

Last edited:
it depends on what you want to do.

my undergrad was marketing, and although it didnt give me specific skills, it rounded me out as a speaker, presenter, and a person that's able to recognize trends.

for you, finance people just dont "sit in front of spread sheets all day"... lets say you go into hedge funds, but you really just work as a middle man... collecting investors monies and placing them in hedge funds that you see fit. that's not sitting in front of spread sheet all day... that's brokering deals and shmoozing.

or you went into corporate finance for.... Frito Lay... that would require many trips to different distribution sectors... or meetings thru Videos with higher ups. you'd have to work with different departments, like accounting, production, and even actual FOOD MAKERS in order to get accurate predictions of where you think the company should be heading.

flip the entire script and you go into financial advisory roles... you'd be handling peoples money... telling them "hey... dont buy that corvette" for tons of money...

its all dependent on where you want to go. i think the "staring down spreadsheets" role is only for those that are just entering the game.
is this worth it?

Appreciate it ricky. I guess I should have prefaced it by saying I got my degree in finance 3 years ago and since then, I have been working in credit and haven't been doing what I envisioned, which was corporate finance type work, evaluating ROI's WACC's, NPV's, etc. Don't even know if I would still wanna go down that route with a MBA though.

All of those questions are legit. Good stuff ricky.

6 people have already dropped out of my MBA program and we've only been through 3 classes so far. If anything happens (whether planned or unplanned), it can really mess it up for you because the program is so fast paced. We start our 4th class in the 1st week of June and I'll officially have a year out the way come October. December 2014 cannot come soon enough :lol:
I have yet to choose a concentration in my program because we are in a cohort and we all go through the same classes until the final 3-4 courses. My concentration will more than likely be in Finance. I'm currently working as a Commercial Lender at a community bank. I'm in a position where I could possibly move into an executive position within the next 5-7 years (whether its Senior VP of Commercial Lending, Senior Credit Administrator or CFO). I just want to really weigh my options and see what else may be out there as well.

Yeah, I work at a commercial lender too in the credit department, not on the fast track like you though :lol:

It's weird we have a decent amount in common but, we are adversaries (I'm a Clipper fan) :lol:

Congrats bro! Is it going to be FT or PT?

I'm going to take the GMAT one more time and apply this fall. The schools I apply to will be dependent upon my score.

Since a lot of you guys are from Texas, how's Mccombs in terms of prestige and recruiting?
every major company that I can think of recruits there...

Can anyone name a more prestigious business school than ut outside of The M7?

True true. Thanks Ricky.

I doubt I'll get in just wanted to know. I read up a little bit, I know the big 4 etc recruit from there just don't know how heavily. I'm trying to figure out what most people do when they graduate from there, e.g consulting, banking, etc.

Goal is a top 25, just need to improve on my previous score. I'd loe to stay in Cali but we'll see. Cali has nice schools like Haas, Anderson, Marshall and of course GSB but I'm having doubts on if I can get in... :frown:

Any recommendation on whether to do full time or a part time MBA?

Thanks! I'm doing full-time. I got into CMU (Tepper). The reason I'm hesitating is I got in off the waitlist rather than in March, and I have very little prep time to matriculate since school would begin in August. I also feel another year could help me be better prepared for business school as well as help with my ability to recruit for a good job.

My coworker's wife went to McCombs. That's a great school, in the grand scheme it's a top-20 school. She was able to get a great job at Adobe post-MBA, so it definitely worked for her.
I feel outside of the top 7-8 schools, there isn't much differentiation in the top 20. It boils down to fit and what you want to accomplish post-MBA. For example, Anderson (UCLA) is great for the entertainment industry; McCombs (Texas) is great for the oil industry. That doesn't mean it's the only thing it's good at but if you have specific goals in mind some schools can help you succeed more than others.

Regarding FT vs. PT, in my opinion, part-time is for people who want to advance in their company and/or have no choice to get their MBA otherwise (family obligations, etc.). To me, it would make sense if you're already a company you've wanted to be in, and you want to advance. Outside of that situation, full-time is better because you get the whole slate and experience, and get the networking and recruiting events you simply can't do in a part-time situation. It's also probably a must if you are a "career-changer".

I actually thought about it over the past week or so and I'm leaning 95% to try to get a deferral- if not I'll just re-apply. The decision came down to a few main things: I got in off the waitlist just a week ago, when I'm already behind on networking and doing my pre-business school prep. I also am very early career with only 2 years work experience...and after discussing with my boss about my plans, he indicated he would be comfortable with me reapplying (that is one part about my job that is REALLY good...they are incredibly supportive of me pursuing my MBA goals). And with a better understanding of how to write a good application, I feel I can be much more successful. The $ issue also comes into play; I could use another year's worth of pay to handle the debt.
It felt like the smart move was to reapply given I have the opportunity and because there's so much I can still gain in my job (and I also have a boss who supports my goals). Now it's time to buckle up and try again :smokin

I'll also be taking the GMAT in August b/c I used the GRE to apply last year. It's also a must-have if you want to have a shot at a boutique consulting firm doing management consulting (oftentimes McKinsey, Bain, etc. will screen applicants with their GMAT).

Another thing- a few good resources for business school are poetsandquants.com and GMAT Club forums.

I keep saying one thing over and over, take the GRE. Unless the school you want does not accept it, which I think only Booth and Cal do not accept (in the top 10, and their pt programs do, last time I checked.

To the poster above me, I took the GRE and got an interview at the only consulting firm I applied to, Bain.

If you score highly, no employer cares what test you took, or school for the most part.

Man, I thought I wrote this, sounds like we got the same plans and thoughts :lol:

Hoping for a 700 on the GMAT and getting into a top 25 school. Definitely leaning towards a career change too, worried about my lack of "prestigious" work experience (small, but growing and not really "name brands") and letter of recs (hey boss, can you write me a glowing letter so I can get the $#%^ outta here :lol: ) though.

Started studying a few days ago, data sufficiency is gotta be a B. Once I get thru this official GMAT study guide, I'm gonna cop a couple of the Manhattan study guides, heard they are by far the best.

Nice. I'm gonna be using Manhattan for my GMAT prep. Everyone seems to be recommending it.

Just buy one book for manhattan..it'll unlock 5 full length practice tests. The whole set is a good deal too

I aleays thought you needed a GMAT for consulting as ive heard they ask for your score; thats good to know.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom