GRADUATE STUDENTS OF NT

I'm going to be graduating with a Bachelors Degree in Sociology in about a year or so. I have been thinking really hard about going to graduate school but I'm not sure what the first step should be.

Were there any questions you guys asked yourself before getting into grad school?

For people that got their MBA or are currently enrolled, what did you concentrate in and what are your career prospects like?

My undergrad concentration was Finance, but I'm thinking about concentrating in Operations for my MBA. Don't wanna be sitting in front of spreadsheets for eternity :lol:

it depends on what you want to do.

my undergrad was marketing, and although it didnt give me specific skills, it rounded me out as a speaker, presenter, and a person that's able to recognize trends.

for you, finance people just dont "sit in front of spread sheets all day"... lets say you go into hedge funds, but you really just work as a middle man... collecting investors monies and placing them in hedge funds that you see fit. that's not sitting in front of spread sheet all day... that's brokering deals and shmoozing.

or you went into corporate finance for.... Frito Lay... that would require many trips to different distribution sectors... or meetings thru Videos with higher ups. you'd have to work with different departments, like accounting, production, and even actual FOOD MAKERS in order to get accurate predictions of where you think the company should be heading.

flip the entire script and you go into financial advisory roles... you'd be handling peoples money... telling them "hey... dont buy that corvette" for tons of money...

its all dependent on where you want to go. i think the "staring down spreadsheets" role is only for those that are just entering the game.

I'm going to be graduating with a Bachelors Degree in Sociology in about a year or so. I have been thinking really hard about going to graduate school but I'm not sure what the first step should be.

Were there any questions you guys asked yourself before getting into grad school?
is this worth it?

can i cut it?

i'm just a regular guy that got by in undergrad cuz i was lazy. can i turn it up in grad school?

what if this doesnt help me in the career search?

how am i gonna pay for this?

what if i stop half way through?

what if i dont get great grades? should i retake the classes or keep on chuggin?

how important is gpa in grad school?

should i just go for regular MBA, or get an MS and go for a great from a top tier school later?

Ricky, my yamb brethren. Thanks for the questions. I'm going to take all those questions and answer it carefully tonight.

Ricky, my yamb brethren. Thanks for the questions. I'm going to take all those questions and answer it carefully tonight.
Another major question to ask yourself is what is your motivation. You will need alot of that to keep you going and to stay focused.

All of those questions are legit. Good stuff ricky.

6 people have already dropped out of my MBA program and we've only been through 3 classes so far. If anything happens (whether planned or unplanned), it can really mess it up for you because the program is so fast paced. We start our 4th class in the 1st week of June and I'll officially have a year out the way come October. December 2014 cannot come soon enough :lol:

For people that got their MBA or are currently enrolled, what did you concentrate in and what are your career prospects like?

My undergrad concentration was Finance, but I'm thinking about concentrating in Operations for my MBA. Don't wanna be sitting in front of spreadsheets for eternity

I have yet to choose a concentration in my program because we are in a cohort and we all go through the same classes until the final 3-4 courses. My concentration will more than likely be in Finance. I'm currently working as a Commercial Lender at a community bank. I'm in a position where I could possibly move into an executive position within the next 5-7 years (whether its Senior VP of Commercial Lending, Senior Credit Administrator or CFO). I just want to really weigh my options and see what else may be out there as well.

Last edited:
ooooohhh.. i misread your posts. i was just looking from the perspective of someone planning to enter into school

i have a lot of those questions answered, but i'm sure someone else has the same ones and just dont know it yet... answer them when you get a chance famb... i'll follow up on your responses w/ my own, too.

Don't know if I should post law-school related questions but what do any former/current law school students think are the best jobs to hold during your first year? While trying to pay bills and still bust it in the classroom

3.5 GPA this semester.. 1 A, 1 B and a satisfactory.. I hate S/U graded courses.

I'll take the B. I get credit in the course no difference to me.

3.77 Grad GPA total.

Last edited:
Currently one semester away from earning my masters in Sports Commerce. Posted on NT about a year ago asking about grad school..damn how time has flown. I received a assistantship so I got to go to grad school for free!. So far, a 3.5 GPA. looking forward to head back to Atlanta after I graduate in December, very good housing market there. 

Question:

In doing some research on grad school, it says the minimum requirement GPA for a lot of programs is a 3.0. Is that in your major, or is that overall? I graduate in December with my bachelors in Psychology and I am currently at a 3.53 in my major, but overall I am under a 3.0. Would that take me out of consideration?

Don't know if I should post law-school related questions but what do any former/current law school students think are the best jobs to hold during your first year? While trying to pay bills and still bust it in the classroom

I was under the impression that as a law school student, you are really "allowed" to work. I haven't really kept up with my friends who left for law school, so I'm not really sure. I do know someone right now who will start in the Fall at a tier 2 school, and she told me that her school said she can't work.

Anyone can correct me if I'm wrong. The more questions posed means more questions will get answered (hopefully).

Question:

In doing some research on grad school, it says the minimum requirement GPA for a lot of programs is a 3.0. Is that in your major, or is that overall? I graduate in December with my bachelors in Psychology and I am currently at a 3.53 in my major, but overall I am under a 3.0. Would that take me out of consideration?
some schools look at overall, some schools look at majors, some schools look at both. it would depend on the school

Am I the only one who as times passes stop caring about GPA and just want to the degree?

[COLOR=#red]Not me...and here is why...To get the TOP jobs your best chance is an internship and then be hired on once you graduate...unless you have some amazing inside hook-up. My undergrad Cum GPA was a 3.9 and I saw how many doors that opened for me. Now in Grad school because of my Undergrad GPA coupled with my Grad GPA I gained a intern job with Apple and have already accepted an internship for next summer paying at the pay rate of $50k a year. That's not to mention I'm a finalist for a huge oil company scholarship and internship.

All that to say if you take care of your GPA then Grad school will be highly beneficial to securing a more than awesome career. Trust me it's worth the effort in the long run.[/COLOR]

Currently one semester away from earning my masters in Sports Commerce. Posted on NT about a year ago asking about grad school..damn how time has flown. I received a assistantship so I got to go to grad school for free!. So far, a 3.5 GPA. looking forward to head back to Atlanta after I graduate in December, very good housing market there. 

[COLOR=#red]Congrats my dude!!![/COLOR]

Question:

[COLOR=#red]Some schools concentrate on the last two years or the last 60 or so hours. If I were you I would still apply to the schools you want to go to...many people don't realize that schools use GPA and GRE/GMAT/LSAT/MCAT scores as general guidelines of admittance meaning that you can still get in if you don't exactly meet the requirements. Usually that means writing an excellent personal statement...having your referees (yes that's the official term for the person that writes your personal statement lol) write the most amazing personal statement for you.

True story...Columbia was recruiting me for their Climate and Society Grad program right out of undergrad...I wrote the professor and told him that my GPA was great but my GRE was trash...he wrote me back saying that they were recruiting me for my overall profile and not to worry about my GRE. I declined because I didn't want to move back to NYC after growing up there.

Don't eliminate yourself...let them eliminate you.[/COLOR]

[COLOR=#red]There's an NT'er that I know that just got accepted to THE Ohio State University for Grad school...not gonna put him on blast just yet, but just wanted to Kongratulate him for getting in!!![/COLOR]

I was under the impression that as a law school student, you are really "allowed" to work. I haven't really kept up with my friends who left for law school, so I'm not really sure. I do know someone right now who will start in the Fall at a tier 2 school, and she told me that her school said she can't work.

Anyone can correct me if I'm wrong. The more questions posed means more questions will get answered (hopefully).
I'm starting to realize how differentmost programs are out here...

You'd be surprised at the limitations they set...

My advice is generic but he ttruth... look at the school..

Edw ... what are you supporting yourself with income wise?

You stacked bread and just living off that?

I'm starting to realize how differentmost programs are out here...

You'd be surprised at the limitations they set...

My advice is generic but he ttruth... look at the school..

Edw ... what are you supporting yourself with income wise?

You stacked bread and just living off that?

[COLOR=#red]Ricky basically you're right my dude. I made money in between when I graduated in '07 till I started school again. I took a little out in loans but not too much for my first semester, but now I have the internship and scholarships. Real talk I keep the expenses low...my rent and transpo only comes out to right under $900 per month.

Good to see y'all are doing well in school though...I know it can be a pain in the *** at times but we'll be better from it for sure. [/COLOR]

How difficult is the GMAT test? What steps should I take in preparation for it. I have my grad school deadline on August 1st. If I take it at the end of June, will my score arrive in time? Is one month of prep good enough for the GMAT?

How difficult is the GMAT test? What steps should I take in preparation for it. I have my grad school deadline on August 1st. If I take it at the end of June, will my score arrive in time? Is one month of prep good enough for the GMAT?

I bombed it big time. If you dont have a job maybe you can study for a month. But if you are in a field where you actually use your mind for work lol I would say take 3-4 months to prep so you still have time to focus on work. I tried to study for a month and every day I got off work and never studied. Also wasted my money on a 1 month prep class, all dude did was do problems on the board instead of giving tips on how to read what the problems are asking. I say take a prep test or 2 and go from there. I did none of that and my scores show. I`m prob gonna take GRE end of the year though. The thing that got me about the GMAT is I`m a beast at work and beasted in my major during undergrad, so every time I looked at GMAT problems I was literally disguested at how I felt like I was being trolled because the GMAT has nothing to do with MBA course work or a real job, yet it is the most important factor to getting into a program. Just my 2 cents though.

I`m prob gonna take GRE end of the year though. The thing that got me about the GMAT is I`m a beast at work and beasted in my major during undergrad, so every time I looked at GMAT problems I was literally disguested at how [COLOR=#red]I felt like I was being trolled because the GMAT has nothing to do with MBA course work or a real job, yet it is the most important factor to getting into a program. Just my 2 cents though.[/COLOR]

[COLOR=#red]The reason why these exams truly exist is as gatekeepers. In other words they are used to thin the herd. They don't necessarily predict future career performance. [/COLOR]

I`m prob gonna take GRE end of the year though. The thing that got me about the GMAT is I`m a beast at work and beasted in my major during undergrad, so every time I looked at GMAT problems I was literally disguested at how [COLOR=#red]I felt like I was being trolled because the GMAT has nothing to do with MBA course work or a real job, yet it is the most important factor to getting into a program. Just my 2 cents though.[/COLOR]

[COLOR=#red]The reason why these exams truly exist is as gatekeepers. In other words they are used to thin the herd. They don't necessarily predict future career performance. [/COLOR]

That and as a cash cow. $160 for the LSAT and it has nothing to do w/ law :smh:

Back
Top Bottom