GRADUATE STUDENTS OF NT

waitin on my decisions, should all be in by late february early march 
nerd.gif

Interviewed at the University of Michigan this past Thursday for their Health Mgmt and Policy Program....#1 school in this field and my #1 choice personally....Interview and visit day as a whole went well, I am supposed to find out an admissions decision by the end of this week :nerd: :nerd: :nerd: the wait is KILLER... Im about to go buy some nyquil and sleep away the week haha

Graduating from law school in May.

Good luck to everyone just starting this chapter in their life!

Guess I will starting posting my journey in here now. 

I am going to have to stay in undergrad(Marketing Major) at Southern University another semester to complete some of my prereqs since Fin Aid does not pay for non major classes. Was suppose to graduate in the Spring but now I pushed it back until Fall. 

1.Drexel University 

2. LSU

3.Alabama A&M 

are the three graduate school I would like to attend in that order. I talk with Drexel over the pass 2 weeks about my interest in the University's  Food Science and was informed that I need to have prereqs finish before starting my Master. Talked with LSU last year and the Dean seem cool with the idea of me waiting to come there for my Master and tried to get me to transfer for a dual major. As of now I am going to start taking my prereqs during the summer and Fall semester all at LSU through cross enrollment. Will also take a tour of Drexel University in March or April then take my GRE at the end of the Summer giving me time to study and still enough time to retake it if I didnt score high enough. I am going to use Magoosh(GRE review) since someone recommended it in this thread.

Thinking about adding 2 more graduate schools to my list to send applications to. I have already toured LSU and University of Maryland. I would love to go to University of Maryland but dont think they will accept me with my low GPA.

How's everyone in the thread doing so far? I'm still in the middle of applications for b-school. It's pretty stressful waiting for interviews, responses, and decisions. Any success stories so far?

Hi guys, I want to enroll in a Masters of Accounting program. It seems like different schools have different prereq requirements though. Can I take the classes through university extension, and will it be treated any differently than if I actually took those classes in undergrad? Also, do you have to take the GMAT or is GRE fine?

Hi guys, I want to enroll in a Masters of Accounting program. It seems like different schools have different prereq requirements though. Can I take the classes through university extension, and will it be treated any differently than if I actually took those classes in undergrad? Also, do you have to take the GMAT or is GRE fine?
What are you trying to do with the Masters of Accounting?

I believe either is fine. My friend is currently attending the Leventhal School of Accounting at USC to get his MAcc and he took the GMAT when he applied.

For prereqs, either is fine as well. Referring back to my friend, he took classes at an university extension.

Hope this information helps you. GL on your applications.

Edit:

To answer the above question, getting a MAcc can help you with a career transition. My friend got his MAcc for just that, and he has a job lined up at a Big 4 after graduating.

Last edited:
@friscostylez  I really couldn't answer you because I don't know yet, but Big 4 is where I want to be eventually. It's been my dream in undergrad and it hurt big time not getting a job offer from them. 

@Frank7heT4nk  Thank you for your insight. I have a better idea of how I need to go about the application process now.

Anyone in business/tech with thoughts on the value of a *top* MBA in this current job market and more importantly, the one in 5-10 years? What are the main considerations in weighing out whether to leave your current company/job vs. going to a top flight MBA (i.e. top 5-10) ? 

Anyone w/ friends or even better, anyone in a top program now?

I believe either is fine. My friend is currently attending the Leventhal School of Accounting at USC to get his MAcc and he took the GMAT when he applied.

For prereqs, either is fine as well. Referring back to my friend, he took classes at an university extension.

Hope this information helps you. GL on your applications.

Edit:

To answer the above question, getting a MAcc can help you with a career transition. My friend got his MAcc for just that, and he has a job lined up at a Big 4 after graduating.

I obtained my B.B.A. In Finance in spring of 2012 from GRU. After graduating, I considered attending grad school for a masters in Finance. I spoke with my school advisors. And, they say all business majors should take the GMAT if they are considering attending grad school. Advisors say the GRE covers topics that will generally be non-business related; GRE is more suited for non-business career paths. I actually paid the $250 to take the GMAT, and I literally "winged it." luckily, if I do consider re-taking the test, I can use the test that has the highest score. There is much algebra, geometry, measurements, and everything that is probably similar to the SAT. The essay was tough, but practice can crack that. You have to write a college grade essay in response to a random business problem or issue in the world. [emoji]128517[/emoji] And, grammar exercises that are easy. Overall, GMAT can be conquered with practice. [emoji]128556[/emoji]

Anyone in business/tech with thoughts on the value of a *top* MBA in this current job market and more importantly, the one in 5-10 years? What are the main considerations in weighing out whether to leave your current company/job vs. going to a top flight MBA (i.e. top 5-10) ? 

From everyone I've talked to, the effort you put into b-school is what you'll get out. In addition to that, many of the exit opportunities in top flight b-schools are typically consulting and finance roles from what I've seen. Many big/brand name companies also recruit from MBA student pools and I don't think that trend will diminish much at top programs. If you look at the employment information for top schools, I believe you'll come to same conclusion. Also, there's a lot of money to be had for schools with prestigious MBA programs, so the schools will do their best to keep their programs relevant and competitive. They know that if they don't have great companies picking up their students that can have a negative impact on their program.

Personally, I have only talked to people at programs in the 10-20 range, and that's the impression I got. Outside of the top 20 maybe 25 then, yes, it can be some what of a crapshoot.

Edit:

You should also calculate your personal ROI and your current life situation before deciding if B-School is your best option in terms of improving your career outlook.

Last edited:

From everyone I've talked to, the effort you put into b-school is what you'll get out. In addition to that, many of the exit opportunities in top flight b-schools are typically consulting and finance roles from what I've seen. Many big/brand name companies also recruit from MBA student pools and I don't think that trend will diminish much at top programs. If you look at the employment information for top schools, I believe you'll come to same conclusion. Also, there's a lot of money to be had for schools with prestigious MBA programs, so the schools will do their best to keep their programs relevant and competitive. They know that if they don't have great companies picking up their students that can have a negative impact on their program.

Personally, I have only talked to people at programs in the 10-20 range, and that's the impression I got. Outside of the top 20 maybe 25 then, yes, it can be some what of a crapshoot.

Edit:

You should also calculate your personal ROI and your current life situation before deciding if B-School is your best option in terms of improving your career outlook.

To see the average ROI on programs, check out this site: http://rankings.ft.com/businessschoolrankings/global-mba-ranking-2014

Look at the weighted salary, and the average salary increase to figure out a few things. One, you'll get a feel of what type of status individuals had by calculating the pre-MBA salary from different programs. Two, you'll see what the average coming out of those programs are. And of course, you can see all of the different checkboxes you can analyze for different things.

I personally used this website to determine where I wanted to get my PhD from.

Last edited:
Cannot decide whether to do graduate school in Computer Science or Sport and Exercise Science.

Compsci is obviously the better and more stable career, but Sportsci is where my real passion is at...choices choices choices 

Cannot decide whether to do graduate school in Computer Science or Sport and Exercise Science.

Compsci is obviously the better and more stable career, but Sportsci is where my real passion is at...choices choices choices 
Do computer science. You don't have to go into that field later if you don't want to, whereas with Sportsci, you'll most likely get stuck not making a lot of $

Do computer science. You don't have to go into that field later if you don't want to, whereas with Sportsci, you'll most likely get stuck not making a lot of $
Thanks for some advice man.

Gotta do one semester to complete some prerequisites first. Math isn't one of my strengths, but hopefully this is worth it in the long run

Edit:

To see the average ROI on programs, check out this site: http://rankings.ft.com/businessschoolrankings/global-mba-ranking-2014

Look at the weighted salary, and the average salary increase to figure out a few things. One, you'll get a feel of what type of status individuals had by calculating the pre-MBA salary from different programs. Two, you'll see what the average coming out of those programs are. And of course, you can see all of the different checkboxes you can analyze for different things.

I personally used this website to determine where I wanted to get my PhD from.

Great website. Thanks for the input.

What field are you pursuing a PhD in if you don't mind me asking.

Back
Top Bottom