Gran Turismo 5 | OT | v2.03 + DLC is LIVE | Is Your Engine Ready?!

I have a suped up Lambo SuperVeloce that is great for the GT World Championship in the professional level. I placed first in every race and I won the Bugatti Veyron as the prize. I'll trade somebody an Audi R8 for a pickup truck.

I have a suped up Lambo SuperVeloce that is great for the GT World Championship in the professional level. I placed first in every race and I won the Bugatti Veyron as the prize. I'll trade somebody an Audi R8 for a pickup truck.

i love this game..my only complainant is you have to buy certain cars to get in a event and you need money for everything...a lot of money on top of that... and besides the special events you dont get a lot of money for winning races at least in the amateur races lol

i love this game..my only complainant is you have to buy certain cars to get in a event and you need money for everything...a lot of money on top of that... and besides the special events you dont get a lot of money for winning races at least in the amateur races lol

well i just finished about 2 hrs of no progress.
my intermediate nascar race no 1 - i cant get the gold.... i mean gold is 13:00.... ive done as low as 13:009. kinda like ehhhhhh

the intermediate high speed event (figure 8 track) is kinda frustrating. i got the bronze but am trying to get gold. got as high as 3rd but touched some grass and got the DQ.

game is definitely challenging.

my intermediate nascar race no 1 - i cant get the gold.... i mean gold is 13:00.... ive done as low as 13:009. kinda like ehhhhhh

the intermediate high speed event (figure 8 track) is kinda frustrating. i got the bronze but am trying to get gold. got as high as 3rd but touched some grass and got the DQ.

Is it true that people with steering wheels put up the best times????

I remember doing this time trial competition on prologue. I drove it damn near perfect and it was like 2 secs off the best time. Then i heard something about the steering wheels letting you change traction control etc whilst you're driving. Is there any truth in that??

I remember doing this time trial competition on prologue. I drove it damn near perfect and it was like 2 secs off the best time. Then i heard something about the steering wheels letting you change traction control etc whilst you're driving. Is there any truth in that??

Originally Posted by bigj505

I had problems with those also. Just try to figure out little things that can help your time.

For the Nascar challenge I kept the brake at a minimal and eliminated any jerky steering.

For the top gear I cut the course so that helped a lot.

I had problems with those also. Just try to figure out little things that can help your time.

For the Nascar challenge I kept the brake at a minimal and eliminated any jerky steering.

Originally Posted by DRJordanFreak88

I bought the driving force gt and gave it a try but ended up returning it. the gameplay is pretty good and does give u good precision with the steering and gas modulation...but the steering wheel would sway on me sometimes and it honestly drove me nuts til I said to hell with it a boxed it back up. I tried changing some of the feedback settings but the swaying was still there. Swaying at high speed=lose the race..so the wheel had to go
I got the DFGT a few months back and felt it was night&day when compared to using a gamepad.  Made a HUGE difference, whether it was a G25, G27 or DFGT.  Especially with Polyphony having designed the game with the wheel, the feedback you get from the car via the wheel really allows you to make the little steering adjustments to correct the car.  
What problems did you have?  Was it more of the stability on the straights at high speed?  I think with certain challenges like the Nascar one where you had to stay right next to the cones, having a wheel really made a difference.  

Smedroc wrote:

I think a steering wheel will help you get better times... yes.  Not saying you can't do it with a gamepad, but it'll be more difficult IMO.
The DFGT has a dial on the wheel which allows you to make on-the-fly changes to your car (TCS, ABS, etc.), but I never use it.  

bigj505 ~ Haha, that's the thing with racing (and for real racing drivers as well)... we're all looking for that extra 1/10th of a second (in your case 1/1000ths).  There are times when your laptimes are 2 seconds off and you're thinking to yourself, "where am I gonna find that time?".  Then after a few more laps and getting more used to your braking points and driving line, you begin to shave off a few 1/10ths... pretty soon you put in that 1 one perfect lap and BOOM.  Gold.  

Thats part of the addiction for me in this game.

Originally Posted by DRJordanFreak88

I bought the driving force gt and gave it a try but ended up returning it. the gameplay is pretty good and does give u good precision with the steering and gas modulation...but the steering wheel would sway on me sometimes and it honestly drove me nuts til I said to hell with it a boxed it back up. I tried changing some of the feedback settings but the swaying was still there. Swaying at high speed=lose the race..so the wheel had to go
I got the DFGT a few months back and felt it was night&day when compared to using a gamepad.  Made a HUGE difference, whether it was a G25, G27 or DFGT.  Especially with Polyphony having designed the game with the wheel, the feedback you get from the car via the wheel really allows you to make the little steering adjustments to correct the car.  
What problems did you have?  Was it more of the stability on the straights at high speed?  I think with certain challenges like the Nascar one where you had to stay right next to the cones, having a wheel really made a difference.  

Smedroc wrote:

I think a steering wheel will help you get better times... yes.  Not saying you can't do it with a gamepad, but it'll be more difficult IMO.
The DFGT has a dial on the wheel which allows you to make on-the-fly changes to your car (TCS, ABS, etc.), but I never use it.  

bigj505 ~ Haha, that's the thing with racing (and for real racing drivers as well)... we're all looking for that extra 1/10th of a second (in your case 1/1000ths).  There are times when your laptimes are 2 seconds off and you're thinking to yourself, "where am I gonna find that time?".  Then after a few more laps and getting more used to your braking points and driving line, you begin to shave off a few 1/10ths... pretty soon you put in that 1 one perfect lap and BOOM.  Gold.  

Thats part of the addiction for me in this game.

Originally Posted by Mister916

thanks man
i just put a good hr into the top gear thing. made it all the way to 2nd on one race.
i was about to pass 2nd and slide past 1st on another race but i hit a Cone dead on and it made my car pop a wheelie. my emotions been messed up ever since... (grumbles how does a cone make a car pop wheelies)

the nascar thing, i need to clean up my jerky steering i guess because im using 0 brakes. i mean, missing out on the gold buy .009 seconds is just sad.

Originally Posted by Mister916

thanks man
i just put a good hr into the top gear thing. made it all the way to 2nd on one race.
i was about to pass 2nd and slide past 1st on another race but i hit a Cone dead on and it made my car pop a wheelie. my emotions been messed up ever since... (grumbles how does a cone make a car pop wheelies)

the nascar thing, i need to clean up my jerky steering i guess because im using 0 brakes. i mean, missing out on the gold buy .009 seconds is just sad.

Ive noticed a lot regarding the special events - do you win cars on completion? and does gold, silver and bronze influence those cars possibly won? Or is it just a self pride thing?

Ive noticed a lot regarding the special events - do you win cars on completion? and does gold, silver and bronze influence those cars possibly won? Or is it just a self pride thing?

It's ok if you hit certain cones. I think the cones with the white are the ones that get you DQ'ed.

It's ok if you hit certain cones. I think the cones with the white are the ones that get you DQ'ed.

Originally Posted by I3

Credits and LV points.  Lots of em.
Mister ~ yep... certain cones.  I think you get DQed if you hit the soild-orange ones.  You can get away with hitting the white-stripe ones... I think.

Originally Posted by I3

Credits and LV points.  Lots of em.
Mister ~ yep... certain cones.  I think you get DQed if you hit the soild-orange ones.  You can get away with hitting the white-stripe ones... I think.

Sinner-

My main problem would be that the wheel would start to sway back and forth by itself pretty much randomly. I could take some corner smoothly and keep my lines way better than with a control..but sometimes during a straight or coming out of a corner the wheel would start tugging by itself. Regardless of how hard I'd hold the wheel..jus the fact that the wheel was losing control on its own and not because I wasn't being smooth enough on my inputs jus tipped me over the edge.

Let me ask you this: what are you using to mount the wheel to?

The dfgt I bought was from BB @ full price. I went n got it from there so I could return it easily if I didn't like it. Ive found it online cheaper now, so I might give it another try...especially if I can find a better mount for the wheel.

Sinner-

My main problem would be that the wheel would start to sway back and forth by itself pretty much randomly. I could take some corner smoothly and keep my lines way better than with a control..but sometimes during a straight or coming out of a corner the wheel would start tugging by itself. Regardless of how hard I'd hold the wheel..jus the fact that the wheel was losing control on its own and not because I wasn't being smooth enough on my inputs jus tipped me over the edge.

Let me ask you this: what are you using to mount the wheel to?

The dfgt I bought was from BB @ full price. I went n got it from there so I could return it easily if I didn't like it. Ive found it online cheaper now, so I might give it another try...especially if I can find a better mount for the wheel.

Well, sometimes the unevenness of the road can cause the wheel to "twitch", which might be what you're experiencing. This is especially evident on the Mulsanne Straight at Le Mans. Just gotta "show it who's boss", I suppose.

I use a Wheel Stand Pro, which is pretty expensive, but it does the job and more importantly doesn't take up a lot of space. A good alternative would be a small folding TV stand/table, which shouldn't be too expensive.

Well, sometimes the unevenness of the road can cause the wheel to "twitch", which might be what you're experiencing. This is especially evident on the Mulsanne Straight at Le Mans. Just gotta "show it who's boss", I suppose.

I use a Wheel Stand Pro, which is pretty expensive, but it does the job and more importantly doesn't take up a lot of space. A good alternative would be a small folding TV stand/table, which shouldn't be too expensive.

I was using a tv stand but it was too unstable.

And I know what the twitch felt like from the wheel..that was fine. What I'm talking about is damn near similar to when you first start up the game n the wheel rotates in both directions. I'm not saying it does the full rotation but its a pretty good tug in both directions. When it happens of course I grip the wheel as hard as I can but if I'm exiting a turn or on a straight..that change in direction screws me..not only that..when I'm correcting the wheel, that further screws me.

I dunno..we'll see if I cop another wheel..amazon's got them on sale + I have a gift cert code so I could end up paying about 50 for another wheel..perhaps I'll give it another go if I get a good stand. I really did like the wheel but jus hated the swaying

Back
Top Bottom