Grey market discussion thread (Let's keep the discussion mature) Rules on pg 1 please read before yo

Status
Not open for further replies.
Business is booming for both nike and Jordan Brand, the grey market doesn't effect their initial sales only the resell aftermarket. It's not like the old fakes being sold for half the price of retail at every hood shop/swapmeet. IMO the grey market is exactly what the game needs right now to serve as a checks and balance to dudes ripping off the next man for being a couple minutes too late at scoring a pair of kicks they want for retail.

Not to mention all the free advertisement GM sneakers provide the company.

pretty much, gets the product out early, they see common folks/celebs with these shoes early. all these pictures, makes the people want them even more.

free advertisement and hype.

Nike knows about these sites and taobao but they wont do a damn thing about it and if they try to, maybe they cant? would be hard to imagine.

How can they? There's business in selling them on the side from the factories too. If they produced a extra 1000 pair and sell them for retail, that's roughly 120k per release once the BOM has been accounted for. It may be crumbs to nike/JB but that's still money being left on the table and I'm sure that's a decent cut for those involved especially with nike's contract history with sweatshops. Unless nike plans to pay these workers more money which we know they won't, these practices will happen no matter where they set up shop.

How can they? There's business in selling them on the side from the factories too. If they produced a extra 1000 pair and sell them for retail, that's roughly 120k per release once the BOM has been accounted for. It may be crumbs to nike/JB but that's still money being left on the table and I'm sure that's a decent cut for those involved especially with nike's contract history with sweatshops. Unless nike plans to pay these workers more money which we know they won't, these practices will happen no matter where they set up shop.

it didnt happen before when they had shoes made in taiwan.

This grey market discussion is interesting

I wonder how Nike/JB will respond to this
Nike/JB "might" be backing up these GMs.. imagine selling your product without taxes. Still, all these discussions will not end until Nike/JB confirms something.

Maybe they didn't do it in Taiwan because the demand for Jordans was lower back then and if people wanted a pair they just went to footlocker and bought them there. I don't know just a guess..I'm sure if they went back though, it wouldn't make a difference where they are, it would still happen.

Last edited:
Nike/JB hasn't been exclusive with Taiwan since like 97. My OG blacktoe xiii's were made in china. But the market has blown up and the Internet is becoming a primary means of purchase, something that was not as prevalent in the past. More online shoppers=ability to expand their business beyond domestic sales. That was then, this is now.

IMO the grey market is exactly what the game needs right now to serve as a checks and balance to dudes ripping off the next man for being a couple minutes too late at scoring a pair of kicks they want for retail.

This just made me think for a little. It's sad and true.

Thinking towards the future, it's going to be the same greedy people that take advantage of these grey market pairs. It's only a matter of time until they bleed these markets dry, and everything is back to where it is.

It feels weird saying this, but knowledge of these GM sites is so powerful right now.

Nike/JB hasn't been exclusive with Taiwan since like 97. My OG blacktoe xiii's were made in china. But the market has blown up and the Internet is becoming a primary means of purchase, something that was not as prevalent in the past. More online shoppers=ability to expand their business beyond domestic sales. That was then, this is now.
yeah what he said^

Does this seller sell GM pairs?

NO LIVE EBAY LISTINGS

He has sold 933 pairs of Breds 11. 

Last edited by a moderator:
IMO the grey market is exactly what the game needs right now to serve as a checks and balance to dudes ripping off the next man for being a couple minutes too late at scoring a pair of kicks they want for retail.

No, because people are being ripped off with grey markets

Websites and people aren't telling you what they are, so they might be paying wholesale or grey market prices, but they're still charging resell.

So how is that what the game needs?

A simple solution, If a dude claims he has a pair purchased from a Nike retailer and has them for sale, request the receipt. I keep all my receipts for my sneakers and I know that many of you guys do too so this isn't reaching.

I don't buy from relsellers. I have only bought one pair of shoes off the internet IN MY ENTIRE LIFE., so forgive my lack of understanding in your fears of getting lied to by sellers about the product they're selling. Not to sound so insensitive to you guy's situation, but if it's that big of an issue why are you even buying from shady as* re-seller anyway?

As far as people being uncertain about what websites are selling what, THIS IS UNACCEPATABLE, PEOPLE.  We know the guys who are 100% legit, and the other guys who seem too good to be true probably are. If you don't want GM stuff and is dead set against it, why are you there risking ending up with pairs? Again, not to sound rude, but it doesn't make any damn sense to me at all.

Last edited:
A simple solution, If a dude claims he has a pair purchased from a Nike retailer and has them for sale, request the receipt. I keep all my receipts for my sneakers and I know that many of you guys do too so this isn't reaching.

I don't buy from relsellers. I have only bought one pair of shoes off the internet IN MY ENTIRE LIFE., so forgive my lack of understanding in your fears of getting lied to by sellers about the product they're selling. Not to sound so insensitive to you guy's situation, but if it's that big of an issue why even buying from shady as* re-seller anyway?

As far as people being uncertain about what websites are selling what, THIS IS UNACCEPATABLE, PEOPLE.  We know the guys who are 100% legit, and the other guys who seem too good to be true probably are. If you don't want GM stuff and is dead set against it, why are you there risking ending up with pairs? Again, not to sound rude, but it doesn't make any damn sense to me at all.
someone could just keep the receipt of an authentic pair and switch it with a GM

someone could just keep the receipt of an authentic pair and switch it with a GM
This I didn't think about, but they could only do it so many times. Honestly it isn't worth it being that the retail pair will always have higher value and you'd want some proof of that.
exactly .. or like stated before on a previous page there is a website that lets you make fake retail receipts
I do not believe this until I see better info or proof. Receipt paper is not regular paper and from what I understand it isn't that easily attainable. If this is true, there are waaaaay better things to make fake receipts of than sneakers, and hell of lot more money involved.  More info please. If this is true, this sh*t is getting scary, crazy and illegal as hell.

Last edited:
This I didn't think about, but they could only do it so many times. Honestly it isn't worth it being that the retail pair will always have higher value and you'd want some proof of that.
I do not believe this until I see better info or proof. Receipt paper is not regular paper and from what I understand it isn't that easily attainable. If this is true, there are waaaaay better things to make fake receipts of than sneakers, and hell of lot more money involved.  More info please. If this is true, this sh*t is getting scary, crazy and illegal as hell.

Im not dure on the validity of that website but a link for it was privided. I have never done it myself. But i think if u worked at a retail store then u have access to receipt paper, whether or not there is hidden print on the paper when a receipt is printed froma specific store is unknown. But some stores u basic paper though i know some small mom n pop stores do and that type of paper used to come with the old receipt calculators. I remember my mom havin one back in the day

Websites and people aren't telling you what they are, so they might be paying wholesale or grey market prices, but they're still charging resell.

A dummy is going to be a dummy no matter what. If you understand the grey market you'll know to go straight to source and not some random website charging the same price as resellers. The purpose of the of the grey market is to not pay the 200% mark-up resellers are charging. If someone fails to understand that concept, they're better off paying the domestic reseller.

A dummy is going to be a dummy no matter what. If you understand the grey market you'll know to go straight to source and not some random website charging the same price as resellers. The purpose of the of the grey market is to not pay the 200% mark-up resellers are charging. If someone fails to understand that concept, they're better off paying the domestic reseller.

you cant go to the source :lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom