H1N1 FLU........UPDATE : Flu may be less potent than first feared (pg 32)

I'd be lying if I said I wasnt a little shook. If we hear that people are dying in the US from it.....

Originally Posted by reigndrop

Originally Posted by MikeTysontheKiller

So, how do you get rid of it? I googled it and there is no answer, only suggestions to stay away from it.

nerd.gif
nerd.gif
nerd.gif
nerd.gif
nerd.gif
nerd.gif
nerd.gif
nerd.gif
nerd.gif
nerd.gif
nerd.gif
Relenza or Tamiflu. I'm sooo happy I have some Tamiflu.
Where can I cop?

Swine-flu outbreak linked to Smithfield factory farms

The outbreak of a new flu strain-a nasty mash-up of swine, avian, and human viruses-has infected 1000 people in Mexico and the U.S., killing 68. The World Health Organization warned Saturday that the outbreak could reach global pandemic levels.
Is Smithfield Foods, the world's largest pork packer and hog producer, linked to the outbreak? Smithfield operates massive hog-raising operations Perote, Mexico, in the state of Vera Cruz, where the outbreak originated. The operations, grouped under a Smithfield subsidiary called Granjas Carrol, raise 950,000 hogs per year, according to the company Web site-a level nearly equal to Smithfield's total U.S. hog production.

On Friday, the U.S. disease-tracking blog Biosurveillance published a timeline of the outbreak containing this nugget, dated April 6 (major tip of the hat to Paula Hay, who alerted me to the Smithfield link on the Comfood listserv and has written about it on her blog, Peak Oil Entrepreneur):
Residents [of Perote] believed the outbreak had been caused by contamination from pig breeding farms located in the area. They believed that the farms, operated by Granjas Carroll, polluted the atmosphere and local water bodies, which in turn led to the disease outbreak. According to residents, the company denied responsibility for the outbreak and attributed the cases to "flu." However, a municipal health official stated that preliminary investigations indicated that the disease vector was a type of fly that reproduces in pig waste and that the outbreak was linked to the pig farms. It was unclear whether health officials had identified a suspected pathogen responsible for this outbreak.

From what I can tell, the possible link to Smithfield has not been reported in the U.S. press. Searches of Google News and the websites of the New York Times, Washington Post, and Wall Street Journal all came up empty. The link is being made in the Mexican media, however. "Granjas Carroll, causa de epidemia en La Gloria," declared a headline in the Vera Cruz-based paper La Marcha. No need to translate that, except to point out that La Gloria is the village where the outbreak seems to have started. Judging from the article, Mexican authorities treat hog CAFOs with just as much if not more indulgence than their peers north of the border, to the detriment of surrounding communities and the general public health. Get this:
De acuerdo con uno de los habitantes de la comunidad, Eli Ferrer Cortés, los desechos fecales y orgánicos que produce Granjas Carroll no son tratados adecuadamente, lo que genera contaminación del agua y del viento en la region.

My rough translation: According to one community resident, the organic and fecal waste produced by Granjas Carrol isn't adequately treated, creating water and air pollution in the region. I witnessed-and smelled-the same thing in Hardin County, Iowa, a couple of years ago, another area marked by intensive industrial hog production. The article goes on to say that area residents have long complained of "fetid odors" in the air and water, and swarms of flies hovering around waste lagoons. Like their counterparts who live in CAFO-heavy U.S. areas, they also complain of respiratory ailments. Now, with 30 percent of the area's residents now infected with the virulent flu bug, people are demanding that state and federal authorities inspect hog operations there. So far, reports La Marcha, the response has been: nada.

The Mexico City daily La Jornada has also made the link. According to the newspaper, the Mexican health agency IMSS has acknowledged that the orginal carrier for the flu could be the "clouds of flies" that multiply in the Smithfield subsidiary's manure lagoons.

I'll be in touch with contacts in Mexico as this story develops -and I'll be curious to see whether the U.S. media explores the link with Smithfield's Mexico operation.

If you want up to date information on the outbreak of the swine flu, you can check out this site for the latest information.

yup, i believe more than half of the soccer stadiums in Mexico WILL NOT be allowing people in
eek.gif

Originally Posted by gescobe

THE MESSAGE OF THE GEORGIA GUIDESTONES

1. Maintain humanity under 500,000,000 in perpetual balance with nature.
2. Guide reproduction wisely - improving fitness and diversity.
3. Unite humanity with a living new language.
4. Rule passion - faith - tradition - and all things with tempered reason.
5. Protect people and nations with fair laws and just courts.
6. Let all nations rule internally resolving external disputes in a world court.
7. Avoid petty laws and useless officials.
8. Balance personal rights with social duties.
9. Prize truth - beauty - love - seeking harmony with the infinite.
10.Be not a cancer on the earth - Leave room for nature - Leave room for nature.

Link
nerd.gif
menace2society.gif

!!#$ out of here with that conspiracy $%$*#%$#.
FYI, Prisonplanet is not a legit source to get information.

This whole fiasco's got me intrigued.

Since that prison planet was said to not me legit, I read this one, hopefully that's legit:

[h1]Mexico swine flu deaths spur global epidemic fears[/h1]

Play Video AP - Mexico swine flu has 'pandemic potential'

AP - People wear surgical masks as a precaution against infection inside a subway in Mexico City, Friday, …

By MARK STEVENSON, Associated Press Writer Mark Stevenson, Associated Press Writer - Fri Apr 24, 7:39 pm ET

MEXICO CITY - A unique strain of swine flu is the suspected killer of dozens of people in Mexico, where authorities closed schools, museums, libraries and theaters in the capital on Friday to try to contain an outbreak that has spurred concerns of a global flu epidemic.

The worrisome new virus - which combines genetic material from pigs, birds and humans in a way researchers have not seen before - also sickened at least eight people in Texas and California, though there have been no deaths in the U.S.

"We are very, very concerned," World Health Organization spokesman Thomas Abraham said. "We have what appears to be a novel virus and it has spread from human to human ... It's all hands on deck at the moment."

The outbreak caused alarm in Mexico, where more than 1,000 people have been sickened. Residents of the capital donned surgical masks and authorities ordered the most sweeping shutdown of public gathering places in a quarter century. President Felipe Calderon met with his Cabinet Friday to coordinate Mexico's response.

The WHO was convening an expert panel to consider whether to raise the pandemic alert level or issue travel advisories.

It might already be too late to contain the outbreak, a prominent U.S. pandemic flu expert said late Friday.

Given how quickly flu can spread around the globe, if these are the first signs of a pandemic, then there are probably cases incubating around the world already, said Dr. Michael Osterholm at the University of Minnesota.

In Mexico City, "literally hundreds and thousands of travelers come in and out every day," Osterholm said. "You'd have to believe there's been more unrecognized transmission that's occurred."

There is no vaccine that specifically protects against swine flu, and it was unclear how much protection current human flu vaccines might offer. A "seed stock" genetically matched to the new swine flu virus has been created by the U.S. Centers for Disease Control, said Dr. Richard Besser, the agency's acting director. If the government decides vaccine production is necessary, manufacturers would need that stock to get started.

Authorities in Mexico urged people to avoid hospitals unless they had a medical emergency, since hospitals are centers of infection. They also said Mexicans should refrain from customary greetings such as shaking hands or kissing cheeks. At Mexico City's international airport, passengers were questioned to try to prevent anyone with flu symptoms from boarding airplanes and spreading the disease.

Epidemiologists are particularly concerned because the only fatalities so far were in young people and adults.

The eight U.S. victims recovered from symptoms that were like those of the regular flu, mostly fever, cough and sore throat, though some also experienced vomiting and diarrhea.

U.S. health officials announced an outbreak notice to travelers, urging caution and frequent handwashing, but stopping short of telling Americans to avoid Mexico.

Mexico's Health Secretary Jose Angel Cordoba said 68 people have died of flu and the new swine flu strain had been confirmed in 20 of those deaths. At least 1,004 people nationwide were sick from the suspected flu, he said.

The geographical spread of the outbreaks also concerned the WHO - while 13 of the 20 deaths were in Mexico City, the rest were spread across Mexico - four in central San Luis Potosi, two up near the U.S. border in Baja California, and one in southern Oaxaca state.

Scientists have long been concerned that a new flu virus could launch a worldwide pandemic of a killer disease. A new virus could evolve when different flu viruses infect a pig, a person or a bird, mingling their genetic material. The resulting hybrid could spread quickly because people would have no natural defenses against it.

Still, flu experts were concerned but not alarmed about the latest outbreak.

"We've seen swine influenza in humans over the past several years, and in most cases, it's come from direct pig contact. This seems to be different," said Dr. Arnold Monto, a flu expert with the University of Michigan.

"I think we need to be careful and not apprehensive, but certainly paying attention to new developments as they proceed."

The CDC says two flu drugs, Tamiflu and Relenza, seem effective against the new strain. Roche, the maker of Tamiflu, said the company is prepared to immediately deploy a stockpile of the drug if requested.

Both drugs must be taken early, within a few days of the onset of symptoms, to be most effective.

Cordoba said Mexico has enough Tamiflu to treat 1 million people, but the medicine will be strictly controlled and handed out only by doctors.

Mexico's government had maintained until late Thursday that there was nothing unusual about the flu cases, although this year's flu season had been worse and longer than past years.

The sudden turnaround by public health officials angered many Mexicans.

"They could have stopped it in time," said Araceli Cruz, 24, a university student who emerged from the subway wearing a surgical mask. "Now they've let it spread to other people."

The city was handing out free surgical masks to passengers on buses and the subway system, which carries 5 million people each day. Government workers were ordered to wear the masks, and authorities urged residents to stay home from work if they felt ill.

Closing schools across Mexico's capital of 20 million kept 6.1 million students home, as well as thousands of university students. All state and city-run cultural activities were suspended, including libraries, state-run theaters, and at least 14 museums. Private athletic clubs closed down and soccer leagues were considering canceling weekend games.

The closures were the first citywide shutdown of public gathering places since millions died in the devastating 1985 earthquake.

Mexico's response brought to mind other major outbreaks, such as when SARS hit Asia. At its peak in 2003, Beijing shuttered schools, cinemas and restaurants, and thousands of people were quarantined at home.

In March 2008, Hong Kong ordered more than a half-million students to stay home for two weeks because of a flu outbreak. It was the first such closure in Hong Kong since the outbreak of SARS, or severe acute respiratory syndrome.

"It's great they are taking precautions," said Lillian Molina, a teacher at the Montessori's World preschool in Mexico City, who scrubbed down empty classrooms with Clorox, soap and Lysol between fielding calls from worried parents.

U.S. health officials said the outbreak is not yet a reason for alarm in the United States. The five people sickened in California and three in Texas have all recovered.

It's unclear how the eight, who became ill between late March and mid-April, contracted the virus because none were in contact with pigs, which is how people usually catch swine flu. And only a few were in contact with each other.

CDC officials described the virus as having a unique combination of gene segments not seen before in people or pigs. The bug contains human virus, avian virus from North America and pig viruses from North America, Europe and Asia. It may be completely new, or it may have been around for a while and was only detected now through improved testing and surveillance, CDC officials said.

The most notorious flu pandemic is thought to have killed at least 40 million people worldwide in 1918-19. Two other, less deadly flu pandemics struck in 1957 and 1968.

____

Associated Press Writers Maria Cheng in London; Traci Carl in Mexico City; Mike Stobbe in Atlanta, Georgia; and Malcolm Ritter in New York contributed to this report.

Originally Posted by Lazy B

Originally Posted by gescobe

THE MESSAGE OF THE GEORGIA GUIDESTONES

1. Maintain humanity under 500,000,000 in perpetual balance with nature.
2. Guide reproduction wisely - improving fitness and diversity.
3. Unite humanity with a living new language.
4. Rule passion - faith - tradition - and all things with tempered reason.
5. Protect people and nations with fair laws and just courts.
6. Let all nations rule internally resolving external disputes in a world court.
7. Avoid petty laws and useless officials.
8. Balance personal rights with social duties.
9. Prize truth - beauty - love - seeking harmony with the infinite.
10.Be not a cancer on the earth - Leave room for nature - Leave room for nature.

Link
nerd.gif
menace2society.gif

!!#$ out of here with that conspiracy $%$*#%$#.
FYI, Prisonplanet is not a legit source to get information.

LOL.

Originally Posted by reigndrop

So, how do you get rid of it? I googled it and there is no answer, only suggestions to stay away from it.

nerd.gif
nerd.gif
nerd.gif
nerd.gif
nerd.gif
nerd.gif
nerd.gif
nerd.gif
nerd.gif
nerd.gif
nerd.gif
Relenza or Tamiflu. I'm sooo happy I have some Tamiflu.
Where can I cop?
It's prescription, ask you doctor

So 68 people have died in a borderline third-world country, which means this Swine Flu only has about 499,932 more people to kill before it matches a typicalannual death toll for regular flu. This is all a bunch of nonsense. First it was killer bees, then SARS, then Bird Flu, then West Nile...you could make a wholeepisode of VH1's "Where Are They Now?" based on all the hysteria over supposed pandemics.

Originally Posted by dmbrhs

So 68 people have died in a borderline third-world country, which means this Swine Flu only has about 499,932 more people to kill before it matches a typical annual death toll for regular flu. This is all a bunch of nonsense. First it was killer bees, then SARS, then Bird Flu, then West Nile...you could make a whole episode of VH1's "Where Are They Now?" based on all the hysteria over supposed pandemics.

Agreed.

This is another one that we'll forget about in a year. People will die, but in no way will it live up to the possible doomsday scenarios the media willdrum up.

Remember when SARS was going to destroy the world...and then Bird Flu....how'd that turn out?

SARS was contagious, but weak. People got sick, but very few of them died. I think that 98% of the people infected survived. I remember South Park making ajoke "Soon there will only be 98% of us left".

The bird flu was relatively strong and could kill people but as far as I remember it didn't evolve so that it couldn't be transmitted from a human tohuman. It was mainly a bird problem, with few bird-to-human instances..

This new swine virus looks to be lethal and can be transmitted from human to human.

Originally Posted by Xtapolapacetl

Remember when SARS was going to destroy the world...and then Bird Flu....how'd that turn out?

SARS was contagious, but weak. People got sick, but very few of them died. I think that 98% of the people infected survived. I remember South Park making a joke "Soon there will only be 98% of us left".

The bird flu was relatively strong and could kill people but as far as I remember it didn't evolve so that it couldn't be transmitted from a human to human. It was mainly a bird problem, with few bird-to-human instances..

This new swine virus looks to be lethal and can be transmitted from human to human.
ALL THE OTHER DISEASES/VIRUSES/INVASIONS I MENTIONED WERE SUPPOSED TO BE THE END OF THE WORLD YET NOTHING HAPPENED.

Seriously, this is a goddamn joke. It's hysteria in the worst form. 68 people died in Mexico, big effing deal. There are billions of people on earth. Thatis insignificant. In fact, it's beyond insignificant. It's incalculable how insignificant that is. hundreds of thousands of people die every yearworldwide from regular flu and nobody makes a peep. tens of thousands in the United States. Not a peep. NT loves to make threads about propoganda and how thegovernment lies to us, but this is cause for freak out? It's just more propoganda.

Guidestones are real. If you dont know about it, learn something. Soeone has written it, and we dont know who it is. that's all I'm saying. I wisheveryone here on NikeTalk good health and well being. Peace.

Back
Top Bottom