Haggling at a car dealership vol: gettin that whip

Basically as the title states, this dealership has a car i want, now they asking 4,000. i was tryin to figure out the best way to get it for as less as possible
laugh.gif

my first reaction was too ask them right off the bat, how much can they do if i take it right now? then after afterwards what if i offer to pay cash on the spot to see if theyll bring it down more....

any advice? think its a good idea....

nerd.gif
nerd.gif

Basically as the title states, this dealership has a car i want, now they asking 4,000. i was tryin to figure out the best way to get it for as less as possible
laugh.gif

my first reaction was too ask them right off the bat, how much can they do if i take it right now? then after afterwards what if i offer to pay cash on the spot to see if theyll bring it down more....

any advice? think its a good idea....

nerd.gif
nerd.gif

The New-Car Mating Dance
By STEVEN D. LEVITT
Spoiler [+]
Our minivan is ten years old, so we went out to buy a new one this weekend.

In Freakonomics and SuperFreakonomics, we write a lot about how the Internet has changed markets in which there are information asymmetries. Buying a new car gave me the chance to see first-hand these forces at work in the new car market.

I was not disappointed. We already knew what kind of minivan we wanted. Within 15 minutes and at no cost, using sites like TrueCar and Edmunds, we not only had a good idea of a fair price to pay for the car, but also were able to notify some local car dealerships that we were interested in quotes. Just a few minutes later, one car dealership offered to sell us the car at $1,300 under invoice. That seemed like a good place to start, but before we could even round the kids up to drag them to the dealership, another dealership called, and when they heard the offer from the first dealership, they beat that offer by a few hundred dollars. I called the first dealership back and got voice mail, so we headed off to the second one. I figured we were still far away from a final price, but we were off to a good start without even leaving our house.

I learned a lot about buying cars the last time we bought one – the various lies that dealerships tell with respect to invoice prices, the ridiculous game of cat and mouse with the salesperson trotting off to talk to the manager, etc. I abhorred the process the last time we needed a car, but this time, thinking about it more intellectually, I was eager to take part in the elaborate ritual associated with buying a new car.

(Perhaps my willingness to haggle stemmed from my unlikely triumph the last time around. I had gotten an estimate faxed to me — this was pre-internet — of what a fair price was to pay for the car. Stupidly, I left the sheet of paper with the estimate at home, but I thought I remembered what it was. I fought hard for that price: threatening repeatedly to leave, back and forth and back and forth, and finally I got the dealer within a few hundred dollars of the price I remembered. When I got home, I realized that I had transposed two digits, and the true fair price was two thousand dollars higher than the one I had managed to bargain. Had I known the true number, I would have gladly accepted it…leaving that fax at home was worth thousands of dollars.)

So we got to the car dealership and we sat down to bargain. He explained to me that the price they were offering was well below invoice, discreetly showing me some pricing documents stamped “confidential,

The New-Car Mating Dance
By STEVEN D. LEVITT
Spoiler [+]
Our minivan is ten years old, so we went out to buy a new one this weekend.

In Freakonomics and SuperFreakonomics, we write a lot about how the Internet has changed markets in which there are information asymmetries. Buying a new car gave me the chance to see first-hand these forces at work in the new car market.

I was not disappointed. We already knew what kind of minivan we wanted. Within 15 minutes and at no cost, using sites like TrueCar and Edmunds, we not only had a good idea of a fair price to pay for the car, but also were able to notify some local car dealerships that we were interested in quotes. Just a few minutes later, one car dealership offered to sell us the car at $1,300 under invoice. That seemed like a good place to start, but before we could even round the kids up to drag them to the dealership, another dealership called, and when they heard the offer from the first dealership, they beat that offer by a few hundred dollars. I called the first dealership back and got voice mail, so we headed off to the second one. I figured we were still far away from a final price, but we were off to a good start without even leaving our house.

I learned a lot about buying cars the last time we bought one – the various lies that dealerships tell with respect to invoice prices, the ridiculous game of cat and mouse with the salesperson trotting off to talk to the manager, etc. I abhorred the process the last time we needed a car, but this time, thinking about it more intellectually, I was eager to take part in the elaborate ritual associated with buying a new car.

(Perhaps my willingness to haggle stemmed from my unlikely triumph the last time around. I had gotten an estimate faxed to me — this was pre-internet — of what a fair price was to pay for the car. Stupidly, I left the sheet of paper with the estimate at home, but I thought I remembered what it was. I fought hard for that price: threatening repeatedly to leave, back and forth and back and forth, and finally I got the dealer within a few hundred dollars of the price I remembered. When I got home, I realized that I had transposed two digits, and the true fair price was two thousand dollars higher than the one I had managed to bargain. Had I known the true number, I would have gladly accepted it…leaving that fax at home was worth thousands of dollars.)

So we got to the car dealership and we sat down to bargain. He explained to me that the price they were offering was well below invoice, discreetly showing me some pricing documents stamped “confidential,

Know how much you are willing to pay before you get to the stealership, and stick to it.
Test drive the car, radio off with windows up halfway through the ride.  Windows down on the way back to the stealership.
This will give you clear picture of any strange noises from the engine, steering, loose interior panels.
Ask about warranty, if any free oil changes are included.
Make sure that tax, title, and lisence is included in your offer price.
Negotiate your final offer with the sales manager, or owner of the stealership.
If they don't accept what you want to pay, leave your number with the salesman and walk.

Know how much you are willing to pay before you get to the stealership, and stick to it.
Test drive the car, radio off with windows up halfway through the ride.  Windows down on the way back to the stealership.
This will give you clear picture of any strange noises from the engine, steering, loose interior panels.
Ask about warranty, if any free oil changes are included.
Make sure that tax, title, and lisence is included in your offer price.
Negotiate your final offer with the sales manager, or owner of the stealership.
If they don't accept what you want to pay, leave your number with the salesman and walk.

test drive, stall, inspect, ask a lot of questions, and basically waste their time. and then when you ask about the price and it's still 4000, just say nah forget it and start leaving. if theyre willing to negotiate, theyll be like "actually i think we can work something out..." if they dont yell your name out after you start walking away, they werent planning on negotiating anyways.

test drive, stall, inspect, ask a lot of questions, and basically waste their time. and then when you ask about the price and it's still 4000, just say nah forget it and start leaving. if theyre willing to negotiate, theyll be like "actually i think we can work something out..." if they dont yell your name out after you start walking away, they werent planning on negotiating anyways.

do what that guy on pawn stars do...
test drive it and open the hood up and pretend like you know what you're looking at while inspecting every single part...and then look back at the dealer and say, "you know...*sigh*...i don't know...these parts are way too old and I dont even know how long I can drive this...it's a beautiful car....so you know what? I know this guy, he's an expert with volkswagon vehicles, especially the 2000 golf model, so I'll call him over here and we can find out more about this vehicle and start from there..."
when he gives you a price of $4000 again, just say, "I'll give you $2000...i just dont see a big enough market for these *do a fake stupid laugh*"

test drive it and open the hood up and pretend like you know what you're looking at while inspecting every single part...and then look back at the dealer and say, "you know...*sigh*...i don't know...these parts are way too old and I dont even know how long I can drive this...it's a beautiful car....so you know what? I know this guy, he's an expert with volkswagon vehicles, especially the 2000 golf model, so I'll call him over here and we can find out more about this vehicle and start from there..."
when he gives you a price of $4000 again, just say, "I'll give you $2000...i just dont see a big enough market for these *do a fake stupid laugh*"

Originally Posted by jehims

roll.gif

Spot on.

roll.gif

Spot on.

Originally Posted by Mccheesy

roll.gif

Spot on.

those guys are straight hustlers

Originally Posted by Mccheesy

roll.gif

Spot on.

those guys are straight hustlers

Ask to see the car, ask to test drive it, tell him your not sure about it...you're going to walk away..then ask him if they'll take x amount of money cash, show him the cash and they'll probably go for it if your offer is reasonable.

Ask to see the car, ask to test drive it, tell him your not sure about it...you're going to walk away..then ask him if they'll take x amount of money cash, show him the cash and they'll probably go for it if your offer is reasonable.

Back
Top Bottom