Haggling at a car dealership vol: gettin that whip

Originally Posted by Mccheesy

Originally Posted by jehims

do what that guy on pawn stars do...
test drive it and open the hood up and pretend like you know what you're looking at while inspecting every single part...and then look back at the dealer and say, "you know...*sigh*...i don't know...these parts are way too old and I dont even know how long I can drive this...it's a beautiful car....so you know what? I know this guy, he's an expert with volkswagon vehicles, especially the 2000 golf model, so I'll call him over here and we can find out more about this vehicle and start from there..."
when he gives you a price of $4000 again, just say, "I'll give you $2000...i just dont see a big enough market for these *do a fake stupid laugh*"
roll.gif

Spot on.

laugh.gif

Originally Posted by Mccheesy

Originally Posted by jehims

do what that guy on pawn stars do...
test drive it and open the hood up and pretend like you know what you're looking at while inspecting every single part...and then look back at the dealer and say, "you know...*sigh*...i don't know...these parts are way too old and I dont even know how long I can drive this...it's a beautiful car....so you know what? I know this guy, he's an expert with volkswagon vehicles, especially the 2000 golf model, so I'll call him over here and we can find out more about this vehicle and start from there..."
when he gives you a price of $4000 again, just say, "I'll give you $2000...i just dont see a big enough market for these *do a fake stupid laugh*"
roll.gif

Spot on.

laugh.gif

First, ask if its a trade in or if it was bought at an auction (probably a repo) before you let them know you are interested then let them know you plan to pay cash if you do make a deal. Ask them whats the bottom line they're willing to take because you cant pay their asking price. I test drove a couple of cars at different used car dealerships and one of them was willing to budge and the other one wasn't. I ended up getting what I wanted from a private party though.

You never really know the history of a used car at a dealership. With a private party you can speak with the owner who can tell you about the history of the vehicle. Even their appearance/age can be indicators of how the car was driven and cared for. 115k doesn't sound too bad but make sure you run a carfax or ask the dealer to see one. It'll tell you whether the car has a clean or salvaged title.

First, ask if its a trade in or if it was bought at an auction (probably a repo) before you let them know you are interested then let them know you plan to pay cash if you do make a deal. Ask them whats the bottom line they're willing to take because you cant pay their asking price. I test drove a couple of cars at different used car dealerships and one of them was willing to budge and the other one wasn't. I ended up getting what I wanted from a private party though.

You never really know the history of a used car at a dealership. With a private party you can speak with the owner who can tell you about the history of the vehicle. Even their appearance/age can be indicators of how the car was driven and cared for. 115k doesn't sound too bad but make sure you run a carfax or ask the dealer to see one. It'll tell you whether the car has a clean or salvaged title.

I just ended up a getting a new Mitsubishi this month. I was rushing my parents to just buy for whatever price, but they tell them their price range and if they don't budge they wait a few days and the dealership will call back with new offers.

That test drive idea people are saying sounds like a good way to get salesman to budge.

I just ended up a getting a new Mitsubishi this month. I was rushing my parents to just buy for whatever price, but they tell them their price range and if they don't budge they wait a few days and the dealership will call back with new offers.

That test drive idea people are saying sounds like a good way to get salesman to budge.

Originally Posted by bijald0331

The New-Car Mating Dance
By STEVEN D. LEVITT
Spoiler [+]
Our minivan is ten years old, so we went out to buy a new one this weekend.

In Freakonomics and SuperFreakonomics, we write a lot about how the Internet has changed markets in which there are information asymmetries. Buying a new car gave me the chance to see first-hand these forces at work in the new car market.

I was not disappointed. We already knew what kind of minivan we wanted. Within 15 minutes and at no cost, using sites like TrueCar and Edmunds, we not only had a good idea of a fair price to pay for the car, but also were able to notify some local car dealerships that we were interested in quotes. Just a few minutes later, one car dealership offered to sell us the car at $1,300 under invoice. That seemed like a good place to start, but before we could even round the kids up to drag them to the dealership, another dealership called, and when they heard the offer from the first dealership, they beat that offer by a few hundred dollars. I called the first dealership back and got voice mail, so we headed off to the second one. I figured we were still far away from a final price, but we were off to a good start without even leaving our house.

I learned a lot about buying cars the last time we bought one – the various lies that dealerships tell with respect to invoice prices, the ridiculous game of cat and mouse with the salesperson trotting off to talk to the manager, etc. I abhorred the process the last time we needed a car, but this time, thinking about it more intellectually, I was eager to take part in the elaborate ritual associated with buying a new car.

(Perhaps my willingness to haggle stemmed from my unlikely triumph the last time around. I had gotten an estimate faxed to me — this was pre-internet — of what a fair price was to pay for the car. Stupidly, I left the sheet of paper with the estimate at home, but I thought I remembered what it was. I fought hard for that price: threatening repeatedly to leave, back and forth and back and forth, and finally I got the dealer within a few hundred dollars of the price I remembered. When I got home, I realized that I had transposed two digits, and the true fair price was two thousand dollars higher than the one I had managed to bargain. Had I known the true number, I would have gladly accepted it…leaving that fax at home was worth thousands of dollars.)

So we got to the car dealership and we sat down to bargain. He explained to me that the price they were offering was well below invoice, discreetly showing me some pricing documents stamped “confidential,

The New-Car Mating Dance
By STEVEN D. LEVITT
Spoiler [+]

In Freakonomics and SuperFreakonomics, we write a lot about how the Internet has changed markets in which there are information asymmetries. Buying a new car gave me the chance to see first-hand these forces at work in the new car market.

I was not disappointed. We already knew what kind of minivan we wanted. Within 15 minutes and at no cost, using sites like TrueCar and Edmunds, we not only had a good idea of a fair price to pay for the car, but also were able to notify some local car dealerships that we were interested in quotes. Just a few minutes later, one car dealership offered to sell us the car at $1,300 under invoice. That seemed like a good place to start, but before we could even round the kids up to drag them to the dealership, another dealership called, and when they heard the offer from the first dealership, they beat that offer by a few hundred dollars. I called the first dealership back and got voice mail, so we headed off to the second one. I figured we were still far away from a final price, but we were off to a good start without even leaving our house.

I learned a lot about buying cars the last time we bought one – the various lies that dealerships tell with respect to invoice prices, the ridiculous game of cat and mouse with the salesperson trotting off to talk to the manager, etc. I abhorred the process the last time we needed a car, but this time, thinking about it more intellectually, I was eager to take part in the elaborate ritual associated with buying a new car.

(Perhaps my willingness to haggle stemmed from my unlikely triumph the last time around. I had gotten an estimate faxed to me — this was pre-internet — of what a fair price was to pay for the car. Stupidly, I left the sheet of paper with the estimate at home, but I thought I remembered what it was. I fought hard for that price: threatening repeatedly to leave, back and forth and back and forth, and finally I got the dealer within a few hundred dollars of the price I remembered. When I got home, I realized that I had transposed two digits, and the true fair price was two thousand dollars higher than the one I had managed to bargain. Had I known the true number, I would have gladly accepted it…leaving that fax at home was worth thousands of dollars.)

So we got to the car dealership and we sat down to bargain. He explained to me that the price they were offering was well below invoice, discreetly showing me some pricing documents stamped “confidential,

The New-Car Mating Dance
By STEVEN D. LEVITT
Spoiler [+]

The New-Car Mating Dance
By STEVEN D. LEVITT
Spoiler [+]

Back
Top Bottom