Half a million millenial men are missing from the labor market

Living on your own is a luxury. There are a lot of things people don't want but they have to put up with in order to save money.

I rather be mad at myself for skipping out on rent, rather than risking that possibility with a roommate...

Living on your own is a luxury? :rofl::rofl:

If that’s the case, driving should be a luxury because TONS of people suck at it

Pretty much.

Say there are trucks that drive themselves in the very distant future...

Ok cool, I’m sure ninja hood is smart enough to realize the basic drop and hook trucking job isn’t a good job if a robot can do it.

He already mentioned car hauling. That’s something that is unlikely to be done by a robot. A robot won’t be driving cars on a trailer and securing them in our lifetime.

Robotic cars don’t even work right let alone a truck...

I rather be mad at myself for skipping out on rent, rather than risking that possibility with a roommate...

Living on your own is a luxury? :rofl::rofl:

If that’s the case, driving should be a luxury because TONS of people suck at it
If the reality is that your current income can't support you living on your own then you shouldn't be doing it.

You can't argue with reality.

Pretty much.

Say there are trucks that drive themselves in the very distant future...

Ok cool, I’m sure ninja hood is smart enough to realize the basic drop and hook trucking job isn’t a good job if a robot can do it.

He already mentioned car hauling. That’s something that is unlikely to be done by a robot. A robot won’t be driving cars on a trailer and securing them in our lifetime.

Robotic cars don’t even work right let alone a truck...
TBH Driving a truck all day seems like an amazing opportunity to be constantly listening to audio books and podcasts while on the road to learn more about the world and find interesting new opportunities.

Luxury is all relative to your income.

If you can’t afford something then it’s a luxury. Something as simple as going to get a burger is a luxury to someone who makes 12 dollars an hour.

TBH Driving a truck all day seems like an amazing opportunity to be constantly listening to audio books and podcasts while on the road to learn more about the world and find interesting new opportunities.

Ehhh it can be but it’s also a grind. Over the road has strict hours you can drive so you gotta hustle and get it done. That’s kind of the misconception about it. Yeah you go all over but it’s not like you have time to take it in. Personally I could never do it.

But yeah you’d have plenty of time for podcasts.

New gen wants easy money and don’t wanna work for it

Too many Instagram “public figures” who made some money easily and inspriring everybody else that it can also be done

That’s what they get for being gullible. Millennial on millennial crime. Deal with it

Ehhh it can be but it’s also a grind. Over the road has strict hours you can drive so you gotta hustle and get it done. That’s kind of the misconception about it. Yeah you go all over but it’s not like you have time to take it in. Personally I could never do it.

But yeah you’d have plenty of time for podcasts.
No doubt, I mean if it was super easy more people would be doing it.

Union cement truck driver here.

31 an hour, ot after 8, ot Saturday double time Sunday. Free health care, free dental, pension, company match 401k.

Am I gonna get rich? Nah, but I’ll be just fine.

At my job you can expect to make 70k-120k depending how much you wanna work, if you take a lay off in the winter etc.

Forgot to say I’m the lowest paid of the trades but I love this job. Taking a 95k pound truck and driving through two feet of mud is the life for me. :lol: :pimp:

Concrete finisher pays 41 an hour
Brick layer 38
Crane operator 40
Dozer or any other big iron pays 40
Diesel mechanic 36
Pipe fitter 50+

I’m telling you guys, get an apprenticeship get paid to learn instead of go in debt to join the rat race. Our jobs are fun as hell and pay good.

And women LOVE construction workers. I work for my dads construction company in Florida and (minus the heat and humidity) it’s a fun atmosphere. It’s almost like being on a football or basketball team

No doubt, I mean if it was super easy more people would be doing it.

Yeah, and the industry gets a bad rep from these horrible companies. Companies like swift and these mega companies pay you like 800 a week to work 70 hours.

There is definately a dark side to it and you gotta avoid that crap.

Working with your hands is looked down upon. If you're a somewhat intelligent seeming dude, ppl will make out like you're taking the low road doing something with your hands. They'd encourage taking a 40k a year job in an office with student debt, vs learning a trade earning while you're learning making double. Most cases dudes that get into those industry have a close relative to bring them in.

Dudes are straight pussified nowadays. My female cousin told me once “you’re to smart to be doing construction”. I’m like, see that road your drive on? That building you inhabit? The powerlines that allow you to use you’re phone? Some people are straight entitled.

If a dude tells me he doesn’t like manual labor, or anything with his hands, I just assume he’s soft

And women LOVE construction worker. I work for my dads construction company in Florida and (minus the heat and humidity) it’s a fun atmosphere. It’s almost like being on a football or basketball team

Yeah they do, my girls friends always talk about it how they want to smash all these construction workers. :lol:

There is even some decent women working in the industry. I met this girl the other day at a job that was :pimp: she wasn’t bro’d out and butch or nothing. She just said it paid better than her last job as a teacher so here she is...

Dudes are straight pussified nowadays. My female cousin told me once “you’re to smart to be doing construction”. I’m like, see that road your drive on? That building you inhabit? The powerlines that allow you to use you’re phone? Some people are straight entitled.

If a dude tells me he doesn’t like manual labor, or anything with his hands, I just assume he’s soft

Bruh, I met a dude the other day who said it was IMPOSSIBLE to make your own grill.

Swore up and down there is no way to make your own grill you gotta get a Webber.

Then I showed him a picture of my co workers grill he welded up out of scrap metal he picked up for free at a job site. His mind was blown.

Our generation is so dumb man. :lol:

That is a whole lot of excuses for not wanting to work as hard as other people yet still thinking you deserve equal rewards :lol:

The issue with your argument is that you assume there is a universal "fair wage". There are lots of people who's fair wage is less than your fair wage, which gives them a competitive advantage over you. Just like if you are going to buy a pair of shoes and Champs have them for 120 dollars while Footlocker is selling them for 80 dollars you would be dumb not to buy them from Footlocker.

Of course outsourcing and automation is going to result in a loss of jobs, but it also creates new jobs. There needs to be people who design these autonomous systems there needs to be engineers who fix the machines. At the end of the day, it is on each individual to figure out how to develop a skillset that is of value to other people so that other people/businesses are willing to offer money in exchange for that skillset.

No one is entitled to a job. If I design a crappy shoe and no one buys it and my new company fails, no one is going to feel bad for me. If you don't put in the effort to develop your skill set into something that is desirable, why should anyone feel bad if other people who are able to provide more value get the job over you?
I don't think I said anywhere that one deserves equal rewards if they do less than others. I've consistently said that people should be able to make a fair wage without dedicating their lives to a company.

I never assumed a universal fair wage. However, I do believe people should have access to affordable education, healthcare, housing, and food. This would depend a lot on where the person lives. I don't think anyone would turn down a wage that could cover their basic necessities.

Outsourcing and automation don't create the same number of jobs. Remember, the goal is save money.

It's amazing to me that you call people lazy and entitled (words that you've failed to correctly use), but you're so in favor of companies exploiting humans and treating them as expendable resources. You are in favor of corporate interests rather than the interests of the people.

It is actually pretty amazing when you think about how many things need to be in place for us to live in an apartment with heating, internet, power and hot/cold water 24/7/365.

If the reality is that your current income can't support you living on your own then you shouldn't be doing it.

You can't argue with reality.

...and why would someone’s current income not be indicative, of their need to live on their own? The answer is... because they’re either A) underpaid or B) Living in an area with inflated apartment rental, or housing prices.

If you have credentials, are a great employee, yet you’re priced out of the ability to live on your own, based on wages and the local apartment or housing rental fees. That’s not a problem due the person, that’s a SYSTEMATIC issue...

Living on your own is not a “luxury” it should be a right. If that’s the case, what do you consider to be modern day necessities?

I don't think I said anywhere that one deserves equal rewards if they do less than others. I've consistently said that people should be able to make a fair wage without dedicating their lives to a company.

I never assumed a universal fair wage. However, I do believe people should have access to affordable education, healthcare, housing, and food. This would depend a lot on where the person lives. I don't think anyone would turn down a wage that could cover their basic necessities.

Outsourcing and automation don't create the same number of jobs. Remember, the goal is save money.

It's amazing to me that you call people lazy and entitled (words that you've failed to correctly use), but you're so in favor of companies exploiting humans and treating them as expendable resources. You are in favor of corporate interests rather than the interests of the people.
So if I just go ahead and decide that, based on the lifestyle that I want, I think a fair wage for me should be 60 dollars a hour and I only want to work 20 hours a week. Is it unfair that no one wants to hire me?

Companies finding cheaper ways to produce goods = cheaper goods/better goods that people can buy.

Luxury is all relative to your income.

If you can’t afford something then it’s a luxury. Something as simple as going to get a burger is a luxury to someone who makes 12 dollars an hour.

If that’s the case, why is their such a financial debt crisis going on right now? Oh, I forgot, “borrowing” money that I can’t possibly payback is a luxury too.. right?

If people are so well off, why get yourself in so much debt? But yeah, it’s a necessity to borrow money, I presume

...and why would someone’s current income not be indicative, of their need to live on their own? The answer is... because they’re either A) underpaid or B) Living in an area with inflated apartment rental, or housing prices.

If you have credentials, are a great employee, yet you’re priced out of the ability to live on your own, based on wages and the local apartment or housing rental fees. That’s not a problem due the person, that’s a SYSTEMATIC issue...

Living on your own is not a “luxury” it should be a right. If that’s the case, what do you consider to be modern day necessities?
America might be the only place on earth where people think living on their own should be a right :lol:

In no country in the world during any time period in human history has there existed a society where everyone has been able to have the opportunity to afford living on their own.

If that’s the case, why is their such a financial debt crisis going on right now? Oh, I forgot, “borrowing” money that I can’t possibly payback is a luxury too.. right?

If people are so well off, why get yourself in so much debt? But yeah, it’s a necessity to borrow money, I presume
Because people don't understand how to manage their finances. Unfortunately financial literacy is not something taught in grade school when in reality it is far more important than any other high school subject.

As a young college educated 20 something making a middle-class living, I'd say a lot of it has to do with too many of us being pushed towards college without being fit for it, and for those pushed towards college it's STEM or nothing otherwise your job prospects will be basura.

It sets a high bar and if you don't have a passion for something in STEM that you like to do the chance of you meeting that bar is low. I do believe if our generation wasn't pushed towards college as the end all be all things wouldn't look this dire but blue-collar careers aren't marketed to us at all so a lot of guys don't know it's an option.

Personally, college worked for me. Did I graduate with debt? Sure, but before I even graduated my internship was paying 25/hr. A job im in the final round of interviews for is paying 80-120K (exp based w/ upper cap being growth) and I'll be traveling the country weekly, working with F500s making connections in nice office buildings without having to put my body through the wear and tear of a blue collar position. College worked for me.

But to bring it all back, I'd blame students not fit for college or having no interest in college being pushed into college with no alternatives as a reason for these metrics.

Back
Top Bottom