Half a million millenial men are missing from the labor market

Biggest regret I have is not getting in the trucking industry earlier. Great money and it’s only getting better because of the shortage of drivers since everybody going to college racking up debt to make 33k with art degrees

big time. wish i would've done it straight after i hit 21.

Good to hear you getting the bag but everything I’ve read about trucking has been the opposite. Was reading an article not too long ago with commentary from some longtime truckers saying it wasn’t worth it and nearly all of them were only clearing about 50k after it was all said and done.

different lanes (pun intended) in trucking can be extremely lucrative, including Hazmat bulk, and car transporting.

Good to hear you getting the bag but everything I’ve read about trucking has been the opposite. Was reading an article not too long ago with commentary from some longtime truckers saying it wasn’t worth it and nearly all of them were only clearing about 50k after it was all said and done.

Union cement truck driver here.

31 an hour, ot after 8, ot Saturday double time Sunday. Free health care, free dental, pension, company match 401k.

Am I gonna get rich? Nah, but I’ll be just fine.

At my job you can expect to make 70k-120k depending how much you wanna work, if you take a lay off in the winter etc.

Forgot to say I’m the lowest paid of the trades but I love this job. Taking a 95k pound truck and driving through two feet of mud is the life for me. :lol: :pimp:

Concrete finisher pays 41 an hour
Brick layer 38
Crane operator 40
Dozer or any other big iron pays 40
Diesel mechanic 36
Pipe fitter 50+

I’m telling you guys, get an apprenticeship get paid to learn instead of go in debt to join the rat race. Our jobs are fun as hell and pay good.

Last edited:

31 an hour, ot after 8, ot Saturday double time Sunday. Free health care, free dental, pension, company match 401k.

At my job you can expect to make 70k-120k depending how much you wanna work, if you take a lay off in the winter etc.

Forgot to say I’m the lowest paid of the trades but I love this job. Taking a 95k pound truck and driving through two feet of mud is the life for me. :lol: :pimp:

Brick layer 38
Crane operator 40
Diesel mechanic 36
Pipe fitter 50+

I’m telling you guys, get an apprenticeship get paid to learn instead of go in debt to join the rat race. Our jobs are fun as hell and pay good.
your job hiring? Always lookin for more money

different lanes (pun intended) in trucking can be extremely lucrative, including Hazmat bulk, and car transporting.

Yea I’ve heard that too depending on what route you take it can vary

Brick layer 38
Crane operator 40
Diesel mechanic 36
Pipe fitter 50+

Damn that's dope as hell man. Had no idea dudes were out there making that kinda money. One of the homies from high school does it and dude loves being over the road.

Trades jobs will always be in demand. Impossible to outsource building a house in America to a company in India like you can for IT jobs. Plus, with most of this new generation looking down upon manual labor, lower supply of workers = easier to negotiate pay.

Yea I’ve heard that too depending on what route you take it can vary

Damn that's dope as hell man. Had no idea dudes were out there making that kinda money. One of the homies from high school does it and dude loves being over the road.

Yeah I personally would hate over the road but some people love it. I don’t really like driving long distances any more. I drive 5-20 minutes get to the job and it’s back to the plant and do another lap.

Trades jobs will always be in demand. Impossible to outsource building a house in America to a company in India like you can for IT jobs. Plus, with most of this new generation looking down upon manual labor, lower supply of workers = easier to negotiate pay.

Someone’s gotta build the condos :lol:

And yeah it isn’t getting any easier to find help. We’re shooting for a 3 buck raise our next contract.

Biggest regret I have is not getting in the trucking industry earlier. Great money and it’s only getting better because of the shortage of drivers since everybody going to college racking up debt to make 33k with art degrees

Glad you’re doing good bro, I remember talking to you about getting into the industry a few years ago. You were actually about it and did it. :pimp:

Yeah I personally would hate over the road but some people love it. I don’t really like driving long distances any more. I drive 5-20 minutes get to the job and it’s back to the plant and do another lap.
Do you even have to get out of the truck?

Do you even have to get out of the truck?

Yeah that’s why I like it. It’s not hard physical labor but I get to be on my feet running the controls. I do a lot of pumps which look like this.

main-qimg-e77863d4f86b34b8bb635532cc74cf26-c

Back up to the pump and dump, takes 5 minutes and I’m gone. I’m in the truck for stuff where I’m pouring and driving like a sidewalk, road or driveway. Then I drive and pour and follow the signals of the guys outside.

I say this in all job related threads and I’ll say it again.

Look into the liquor industry. So many avenues to make a career from sales to marketing.

Liquor wholesale and distribution...don’t think I’m ever looking back.

I say this in all job related threads and I’ll say it again.

Look into the liquor industry. So many avenues to make a career from sales to marketing.

Liquor wholesale and distribution...don’t think I’m ever looking back.
This man knows. I do PT marketing in NorCal with festivals/events and those Napa cats are getting paid. Funny cause a majority of these new micro beers/flavored are owned by Budweiser but you wouldn’t even know

Working with your hands is looked down upon. If you're a somewhat intelligent seeming dude, ppl will make out like you're taking the low road doing something with your hands. They'd encourage taking a 40k a year job in an office with student debt, vs learning a trade earning while you're learning making double. Most cases dudes that get into those industry have a close relative to bring them in.

Yeah that’s why I like it. It’s not hard physical labor but I get to be on my feet running the controls. I do a lot of pumps which look like this.

main-qimg-e77863d4f86b34b8bb635532cc74cf26-c

Back up to the pump and dump, takes 5 minutes and I’m gone. I’m in the truck for stuff where I’m pouring and driving like a sidewalk, road or driveway. Then I drive and pour and follow the signals of the guys outside.
Good ****, been trying to get my cousin into something like this.

Working with your hands is looked down upon. If you're a somewhat intelligent seeming dude, ppl will make out like you're taking the low road doing something with your hands. They'd encourage taking a 40k a year job in an office with student debt, vs learning a trade earning while you're learning making double. Most cases dudes that get into those industry have a close relative to bring them in.
It definitely does not even come up as an option when going through the school system. The people who I know that are in trades/construction all work way better hours and make good money. You get a plumber/electrician to come in and spend 2 minutes turning a knob behind your laundry machine to "fix" it and that will run you 75+ dollars :lol:

Well if someone is willing to work harder and ask for less, by definition they are less lazy and less entitled than you are.

There are pros and cons, outsourcing and automation are great for creating cheaper and better products for consumers which means the overall quality of life is higher than it was 30-40 years ago. Of course it also results in a loss of jobs for people in the US, but there are still plenty of jobs to go around. It is just the nature of living in one of the greatest countries in the world, people from all over the world want to come to get a better life and are usually willing to do more and put up with more than a lot of people who have grown up with a sense of entitlement thinking they need to have an amazing job and amazing life right out of college.

If you owned a business, and had to choose between two equally qualified people would you hire the cheaper one or the more expensive one?
There are a few things wrong with what you're saying. The definitions of lazy and entitled do not include "putting in less work than other people" or "not devoting one's entire life to work". If I were to use your definitions of lazy and entitled, everyone would be lazy and entitled because everyone could do more work for less money. As I asked before, please review the definitions of the words you're using and explain how a person is both lazy and entitled for wanting a fair wage without having to dedicate their life to a company.

Based on what you said, I suspect you've never worked in manufacturing, especially as a manufacturing engineer. Outsourcing and automation essentially have one common goal: reduce the overall cost of producing goods. They both effectively kill jobs. Why would a company pay a person in the U.S. when they can pay a person in China for far less? Why would a company pay a person when they could design a system to do the same thing. Do you see the problem if all companies outsource and automate? Do you think it's good to send jobs overseas?

To answer your last question would depend on a lot of factors.

There are a few things wrong with what you're saying. The definitions of lazy and entitled do not include "putting in less work than other people" or "not devoting one's entire life to work". If I were to use your definitions of lazy and entitled, everyone would be lazy and entitled because everyone could do more work for less money. As I asked before, please review the definitions of the words you're using and explain how a person is both lazy and entitled for wanting a fair wage without having to dedicate their life to a company.

Based on what you said, I suspect you've never worked in manufacturing, especially as a manufacturing engineer. Outsourcing and automation essentially have one common goal: reduce the overall cost of producing goods. They both effectively kill jobs. Why would a company pay a person in the U.S. when they can pay a person in China for far less? Why would a company pay a person when they could design a system to do the same thing. Do you see the problem if all companies outsource and automate? Do you think it's good to send jobs overseas?

To answer your last question would depend on a lot of factors.
That is a whole lot of excuses for not wanting to work as hard as other people yet still thinking you deserve equal rewards :lol:

The issue with your argument is that you assume there is a universal "fair wage". There are lots of people who's fair wage is less than your fair wage, which gives them a competitive advantage over you. Just like if you are going to buy a pair of shoes and Champs have them for 120 dollars while Footlocker is selling them for 80 dollars you would be dumb not to buy them from Footlocker.

Of course outsourcing and automation is going to result in a loss of jobs, but it also creates new jobs. There needs to be people who design these autonomous systems there needs to be engineers who fix the machines. At the end of the day, it is on each individual to figure out how to develop a skillset that is of value to other people so that other people/businesses are willing to offer money in exchange for that skillset.

No one is entitled to a job. If I design a crappy shoe and no one buys it and my new company fails, no one is going to feel bad for me. If you don't put in the effort to develop your skill set into something that is desirable, why should anyone feel bad if other people who are able to provide more value get the job over you?

Back
Top Bottom