Half a million millenial men are missing from the labor market

1400x-1.jpg

This ***** got mouths to feed and this how he presents himself to the world? :smh:

I don't even allow myself to date when i've been unemployed never mind bussin loads...

This thread is full of gold though. Props to everyone for the constructive contributions.

I read through what everybody is talking about in here and there is plenty to complain about with the entry level job market.
BUT the thread was started on an article talking about millennial MEN out of the workforce and I think you guys are missing the bigger picture. Women are dealing with all the same entry level bs and seeing more success getting hired.

Everyone in here is saying oh do some trade school, work with your hands, lower your standards to get employed, work your way up from something your overqualified for, be self employed, etc... A lot of bootstrap talk in here. But a real problem for millenial men is just the fact that men are losing status and value in society. As technology continues to eliminate the value in physical dominance (ability to do hard manual work for long hours), social trends are raising the already high value of women and changing their roles. Boys clubs are frowned upon. Employers' HR departments are making sure women (who are graduating with degrees at a higher rate than men) are getting a fair shake in hiring and no one is looking out for the young guy sitting across the interview table who is viewed as such:

Keeping in mind that men are still pretty prevalent at the middle management / hiring level
1) He's young, so he doesn't have enough experience.
2) He's young, so he's lazy and on his phone all day.
3) He's young, so he'll probably call in frequently.
4) He's young, so i'll have to hold his hand to get him trained.
5) He seems like he wants the job but he doesn't seem very social/ kinda quiet
6) He's young, and I'm threatened by his masculinity.

While women are sitting across the interview table (clueless as can be)
1) She's young, and because she's hot. She can sell product, shes easy to train, i can flirt w/ her
2) Oh she's a single mother, she really needs this job to keep her children off the streets.
3) Oh her personality is really bubbly and sociable

It's definitely true that there has been a push to get more women in corporate offices, especially in tech.

Most tech companies that I know are going to go with a woman over a man (with the same qualifications) in order to "fulfill gender quotas"

More women graduate from university and women tend to do better under the current way education is run.

But none of that should be an excuse for an individual man not achieving success, its on you to figure out how to present yourself in a way that makes companies feel like they need you on their team no matter what your gender is.

It's definitely true that there has been a push to get more women in corporate offices, especially in tech.

Most tech companies that I know are going to go with a woman over a man (with the same qualifications) in order to "fulfill gender quotas"

More women graduate from university and women tend to do better under the current way education is run.

But none of that should be an excuse for an individual man not achieving success, its on you to figure out how to present yourself in a way that makes companies feel like they need you on their team no matter what your gender is.

Guilty.

When resumes started coming in for an opening on our team I caped to get as many women in to interview as possible.

Why? The facility I work in is 98% white men and the 2% comes from me as the only black person.

I have no issue with white men, i'd just like to have at least a little diversity, like damn man.

Im in tech for reference.

Personally, I came into my company and did well with 3 promotions and 1 special detail assignment in less than 5 years which was almost unheard of. Especially as a young black guy. It helped that I had a degree. And it helped that I held a 2nd administrative student job (that i got because i knew a girl who had it before me) for a year that transitioned me into the first promotion and helped me shmooze the folks at the primary job. The managers who promoted me and gave me a chance are either promoted or retired now and I have done nothing but butt heads with the new (primarily white) management.

But that's just it. Excuses or no excuses... Depending on who is doing the hiring and promoting. Some young men out here will have to keep networking and searching because as young men, they just won't get a chance. Meanwhile Suzie Q with the nice rack gets in just off the strength of potential P and non-threatening demeanor. No degree pursuit while simultaneously maintaining dual employment necessary.

Last edited:
The real question is if you were a millennial woman struggling to land a job would you opt for sex work??

Boys clubs are frowned upon..
This right here. My last gig there was maybe 5-6 dudes and 20+ females. 2 were ghey so only 4 of us would kick it and shoot the **** like we do.
Female Colleagues were turned off when we’d click up and call us bromance or some stupid **** cause they couldn’t hang with our convos. Some females respected it and got it but most were haters and felt threatened when we’d click up.

Lastly, the only option for dudes is to start a small business.
It's a good option but it requires basically double the work hours as a standard 9-5 job and there is no guaranteed salary which can be rough.

A major problem is that student loans basically kill any ability for young people (who have gotten a degree and taken a loan) to take a major risk in starting a business.

If you have kids and need to support a family, it might be too much of a risk to start a business.

It's high risk/high reward.

The real question is if you were a millennial woman struggling to land a job would you opt for sex work??
The phub amateur video production quality is getting pretty good these days :nerd:

Lotta women getting their hustle on :lol:

Personally, I came into my company and did well with 3 promotions and 1 special detail assignment in less than 5 years which was almost unheard of. Especially as a young black guy. It helped that I had a degree. And it helped that I held a 2nd administrative student job (that i got because i knew a girl who had it before me) for a year that transitioned me into the first promotion and helped me shmooze the folks at the primary job. The managers who promoted me and gave me a chance are either promoted or retired now and I have done nothing but butt heads with the new (primarily white) management.

But that's just it. Excuses or no excuses... Depending on who is doing the hiring and promoting. Some young men out here will have to keep networking and searching because as young men, they just won't get a chance. Meanwhile Suzie Q with the nice rack gets in just off the strength of potential P and non-threatening demeanor. No degree pursuit while simultaneously maintaining dual employment necessary.
For sure, and a part of that is just nature. Like if I am at a networking event and there are 8 dudes and 2 decent looking women, it's no surprise who I am going to be naturally inclined to talk to :lol:

Especially in male dominated industries, women naturally stand out regardless of qualifications. Since men have to compete for attention in a room full of other men they just need to find different ways to set themselves apart. Like I have helped a bunch of my friends design and format their resumes so that even if their overall work experience is about the same as everyone else, the document is eye-catching and will stand out to a recruiter.

If you go to a job interview with the Vick jersey and Olympic 7s I guarantee you that they will remember you.

If you are in a bad situation would you rather talk about what you can do to get a better life, or talk about why it’s all the cause of giant institutions that you have no control over? Which one of these is the more positive outlook? Which one of these will actually lead to your problem being solved?

Why do you have to choose between the two? :stoneface:

If people get their sh*t together and make enough noise... reform can be had as it pertains to these oppressive institutions.

We can simultaneously better our own personal situations.

Everyone who works FT should be able to afford housing, have paid PTO and have health insurance.

im a millenial and had no problem finding a job right after college. and i was a history major.

i always consider myself lucky. im thankful cause i know people in my graduating year class that are still looking or they just went to grad school

Are you a linguist or reviewer of some sort? What do you do at this ediscovery firm? :nerd:
lol nah it's essentially data preservation using a bunch of different culling methods. This company is huge with products all over the world and a lot of employees. As employees leave the company for whatever reason their data gets sent to my team and we pull the info that the company may need. It potentially saves the them millions in case they get sued, which is often.

im a millenial and had no problem finding a job right after college. and i was a history major.

i always consider myself lucky. im thankful cause i know people in my graduating year class that are still looking or they just went to grad school
Don't you work in IT?

What's your job? I'm curious as to what job you can get with your major if not a teacher.

Interesting that this is specifically targeting millennial men.

Like most people, I think if you’re going to college for anything other than stem you’re fighting an uphill battle. I went the engineering route and havent had trouble building up my resume. I went Stevens Institute of Technology. Most people have probably never heard of it but it ranks consistently among the highest in ROI, Carreer Placement, and salary potential. I’ve got friends I’ve graduated with nothing but a bachelors in mechanical engineering make $100k right out the gate. But it’s also consistently the most expensive school in NJ, competing with Princeton on cost. I’m in debt but Stevens is probably the only reason why I was able to graduate right into a leadership position because I graduated 2 years of communicative work experience with the co-op program in actual engineering rolls so I didn’t have to waste time in entry level positions. Which put me a head of a lot of people in my field. Currently situated at a company that i’ll Probably spend the rest of my profession career at. It’s a mid size manufacturer that’s also privately owned which adds some interesting dynamics but I report directly to the president/owner of the company. I got the job I’m in off the strength of my alma-mater.

Also, manufacturing may not be what it used to be but for white collar jobs, specifically engineering it’s popping. the more certifications you get the better. Luckily my company pays for any and everything as long as it pertains to my job. Currently hold a professional cert in motion control/motors and internal auditing for the AS9100 standard

because 6 figs is milestone in ur career accomplishments, and one companies scrutinize individuals who cross that threshold and expect those credentials accordingly...thru sheer determination and being savvy, you can guile you're way to 90ish k just being scrappier than da next dude, and willing to get ur hands dirty with a array of blue collar jobs that, if you leave da white collar "im only going to college, im too good for manual labor/industrial work" mindset at home, pay reallllly well.
90k is weak in NYC. I don't believe that is paying well, and many of the 6 fig paying jobs require taking on extraordinary amounts of debt which completely offset the income. As a result, there is a complete lack of talent for jobs with a high degree of skill/training aka data science, coders, engineering etc despite higher pay.

With that said, there is so much you can learn for free to become employable/entrepreneurs. Nowadays you can do things on your own to put yourself apart from others vying for the same job. I've seen people get jobs by creating content for free and pushing it to get recognized by brands just by tagging them. I've seen people get hired in HR or as community managers by starting a Meetup group in their city. At this point, companies want to hire people who have something to offer and already have drive.

Interesting that this is specifically targeting millennial men.

Like most people, I think if you’re going to college for anything other than stem you’re fighting an uphill battle. I went the engineering route and havent had trouble building up my resume. I went Stevens Institute of Technology. Most people have probably never heard of it but it ranks consistently among the highest in ROI, Carreer Placement, and salary potential. I’ve got friends I’ve graduated with nothing but a bachelors in mechanical engineering make $100k right out the gate. But it’s also consistently the most expensive school in NJ, competing with Princeton on cost. I’m in debt but Stevens is probably the only reason why I was able to graduate right into a leadership position because I graduated 2 years of communicative work experience with the co-op program in actual engineering rolls so I didn’t have to waste time in entry level positions. Which put me a head of a lot of people in my field. Currently situated at a company that i’ll Probably spend the rest of my profession career at. It’s a mid size manufacturer that’s also privately owned which adds some interesting dynamics but I report directly to the president/owner of the company. I got the job I’m in off the strength of my alma-mater.

Yeah, graduation from a top school suppose to atleast boost you higher up, the list.

That’s honestly suppose to be the perk of going to a great school

Yeah, graduation from a top school suppose to atleast boost you higher up, the list.

That’s honestly suppose to be the perk of going to a great school

Yup, just so happens that too schools are expensive as hell. Just gotta find away to pay for it. Since I did the co-op program I was making as much as $30 an hour. I was able to mitigate costs a decent amount along with scholarships. Still have a good amount of debt, but im at a place where it’ll get exponentially easier to manage the longer I work where I’m at.

Back
Top Bottom