Has the Jordan hype gone down?

i think the hype is there but the supply seems to now be in abundance.  major sneakerheads doubled up on the aqua 8s, but i feel that nike just made to many to cash in on the hype of sneakers.  in addition, 8s are not the most popular model from the jordan retro line.  i think the hottest models are still the 3 and 11s.  no matter what colorway they release on those models they will sell out.  i used to think the 4s were so sought out as well but as you can see with the many restocks you can still get some at retailer websites.  we can't expect the jordan brand to preserve the dignity of the retro releases, they are a business and they will try to cash in as much as they can.  it is unfortunate that they keep dropping all these unappealing colorways that no one really wants and retailers are left with a lot models on their shelves.  examples are right now the 7s, 8s, and 9s.  a few months ago the 5s and 6 lows had a hard time selling too.  i love that they are releasing many but sad that the quality and consideration of what they are dropping has declined these past few years.  quality on these new retros is a new topic of discussion.

I think OP should be more specific Do you mean Hype in The Retro Jordans? Because like many have said there are many other models that they sell, I don't know which of them brings JB the most money. But I will say this the sitting isn't effecting the brand it's effecting the retailers, once they stop buying as much from JB then there might be problem because it could lead to less profit. Retro hype has died down for the consumer imo because of the absurd price point JB decides to charge $190 price point is ridiculous especially for crappy colorways even for Good colorways it's to much. After Concord Fiasco Jordans rarely sat granted the colorways this year have been terrible, there has been some Alright colorways, that shouldn't sit. The bottom line is NIKE is just some Greedy MF's i understand their a business and their all about profit margin. The Cool Grey Jordan's IV that drop in 2004 were a $100 i think and the "Remastered Nike Air Joints" that drop in 2016 will be 220 yes i know their's been inflation, but inflation has gone to that degree, That's just greedy ish. Like someone earlier paying basically $200 for so uncomfortable shoes doesn't seem to smart when you start to think rationally.

Last edited:
Very few people understand that Nike sells the shoes to retailers and then they sell them to you and Nike has already made their money whether or not they sell out day 1.

Also Nobody realizes that less Jordan's selling out is good for the consumer ? maybe that's just me

I love sneakers but dude screw Nike as a company I don't care how their product sells to other people nor do I care about their bottom line if they have something I want for sale at a price I deem reasonable I'll buy it simple as that.

Lot of shoe hipsters in here too [emoji]128064[/emoji]

Was just about to say this. I don't think a lot of people in here understand marketing channel.

Jordan / Nike can care less what they are going for or if they "sit." The retailer has already paid them their fraction of the MSRP that they saw fit and profitable. And when shoes are sitting it's a loss for the retailer.

I don't necessarily "feel bad" for the retailer. But the situation isn't fair. JB is starting to mass produce. Stuff is sitting. Lots of times getting discounted or marked down. But you aren't going to cut ties with JB/Nike no matter what. So the middleman's bottom line is being cut into. JB raise prices so their wholesale price rises and they still win.

/rant

Not coming at anyone but u never understood why people wear 11s to formal events and with formal wear. They are a basket ball shoe. Sure they can have patent leather, buy who wears patent leather dress shoes in 2015 anyway?? It's just a little strange to me.

Last time Jordans where on sale in my area was 2009 to 2011. Candy pack 2s and the baby blue 2s went to $80 and Orion 7s and wolf grey 5s hit 100,120.

Plus 20 winner circle reward. Lol
Sneakers are over priced.

Last edited:
Let's say nobody wanted Chicago 1s (right). By now they would be in the 120.00 range on sale or even lower than laser prices now. When it comes to these stores that have to make room for more product, older items must go on sale.

I think it's hilarious how after the Aqua 8s sitting, people are starting to worry about the Jordan fad going down. Even though I love the Aqua's, the mass hype around these is only one of false perception. While these sat just like they did before, I know that the maroons, 72-10 11s, white cements, and the flu games will not sit IMO

Last edited:
Last time Jordans where on sale in my area was 2009 to 2011. Candy pack 2s and the baby blue 2s went to $80 and Orion 7s and wolf grey 5s hit 100,120.

Plus 20 winner circle reward. Lol
Sneakers are over priced.
2011..... good times in that year there :smokin :smokin :smokin buds, broads and kicks :pimp:

2011..... good times in that year there
smokin.gif
smokin.gif
smokin.gif
buds, broads and kicks
pimp.gif
But that all changed when the Concord 11s attacked.

ATTACKED IS A GREAT WORD... THE RETURN OF THE CONCORDS ERUPTED SNEAKER CULTURE AND WOKE THE DRAGONS.. AFTER THAT..EVERYONE BECAME PARANOID AND THATS WHEN THE "CAMP/LINE UP FOR EVERY SINGLE RELEASE" MENTALITY CAME INTO PLAY.... 2011 WAS A GIFT AND A CURSE
True, the gift was the Concord 11s, the curse was the beginning of raffles, increased Bot and ATC usage, quick sell outs, and the resell market increase. Though I can't wait until they come back out.  I wasn't paying attention when they came out then but when they come out again in possibly 2019, I'll be ready.

I think it's hilarious how after the Aqua 8s sitting, people are starting to worry about the Jordan fad going down. Even though I love the Aqua's, the mass hype around these is only one of false perception. While these sat just like they did before, I know that the maroons, 72-10 11s, white cements, and the flu games will not sit IMO

Didn't Jordans diminish in popularity in the mid-late 2000s? I feel like the CDP release plan was started in part to bring attention back to the brand.

Crazy how that was the case everywhere.
Some of the reasons I guess the Concords were a big deal was because of the patent leather and that Jordan was fined each game he wore them making them have this sort of grail status among some sneaker collector and buyers.  

The Concords were crazy but the Galaxy Foams were really what started the raffle system.

Hype is dying and JB the reason why - overproduction, flex pricing on retros, and constant releases. And soon when consumers see Maroons and 72-10s sit on shelves the demand will slowly go away as well.

There is a lot of factors. Over saturated market. Supply finally meeting demand. Price Hike. The emergence of adidas and other brands and models. Now there is a whole different market compare prior to 2011. 

Prior to 2011 (early/mid 2000's to 2009), the hype was on nike SB. MOST people who bought shoes were into SB and JB. But at that time, people were trading there JB for SB. Now, barely anyone would trade there jordans for sb. From late 2000's to 2012, nike sb just fail to captivate its buyers and people came back to jordans. Then the attention came back to jordans. But the past few years, with signature athlete shoes and emergence of runners from many brands and Kanye hype train, the market is more diverse it has ever been.

Back
Top Bottom