HBCUs... Anybody ever attended/attending one?

Graduated from Howard, shouldve went to a real school like UMD (College Park)
ohwell.gif

hbcu's don't equal real life.

PLUS! an all black school? nah, i'll pass. i loved my experience with white/asian/indian/hispanic kids.

some of my best experiences in college were with people of different races.

but growing up, i was never forced to only be around my kind. my family always pushed diversity.

Originally Posted by Cobra Kai

PLUS! an all black school? nah, i'll pass. i loved my experience with white/asian/indian/hispanic kids.

but growing up, i was never forced to only be around my kind. my family always pushed diversity.
Diversity is key!

Originally Posted by illwill8710

Originally Posted by Wr

don't go to one if you don't have to...
Went wouldn't recommend it tho...unless it's your only choice AND or you are going for free 
I have friends that have gone to Howard and left just because of the some of same things that were going on at my school 

Originally Posted by sooperhooper

The first school I applied to/ was accepted to was university of alabama, but I wanted to go to an hbcu so I chose stillman college which was down the street. If I could do it again, I would have chosen ua. Hbcus are more of a close knit "family" feel, but your best opt is to attend a pwi with an hbcu in the same city

Did you already graduate from Stillman and what's your major?

HELL NAW. There was no way I was even considering ever going to one. The only ones that I've actually engaged people in the professional world are typically from Howard, Morehouse, or Spelman. The experience just isn't the same at all. I'm from South jamaica queens, and had enough experiences at all-black institutions. More than enough to know better than to do that in college
laugh.gif

Originally Posted by an dee 51o

I don't see why you'd want to. I wouldn't wanna go to a school that has a huge majority of any race.

That's 100% true right there. For me, there's just a stigma about it either way. I'm black and wouldn't go to an all-black nor an all-white school.

Originally Posted by 2b1ASK1

sneakaprince wrote:
n man u already know AGGIE pride bro..... I'm surprised NT is so against hbcus they easily have a better social scene for blacks I'm in Ohio now n it pale sin comparison to A&T life
Easier scene but less diversity.. I usually talked to the old school faculty b/c those are still the ones that want to see African American's succeed and came through with networks, these new breed cats are only on the ticket if it fits their bill.. And like some dude said before if its not in the top 7/8..ehhh, i'll pass.

As far as HBCU's for Ohio, I believe we have the oldest one being Wilberforce U, others are wack, so like you said 'pale'.. where you at in the state yo?

Sorry so late but I go to Case Western now for Grad school... As I stated before my HBCU experience was great for me. I grew up in a very diverse household (my mom is black, pop is Nigerian and my step-mom is literally a 60 year old Caucasian lady who grew up on a farm in Iowa). I grew up in Milwaukee, WI. and I was fortunate enough to go to a very diverse high school. I needed the HBCU experience in order to have actual pride in my education. As a young black man there is no way I would've gotten the same life lessons at another institute. In truth academically A&T didn't challenge me nearly enough in fact its well known that I got away with way more than I should've it came back to bite me in the butt in my first semester of graduate school but I still worked hard and have since caught up with many of my peers that attended PWIs. 
Its well known that most African American's with Masters and Doctoral level degrees come from HBCUs. 
pimp.gif
 (the downside of this may be that we get these degree because ultimately many HBCUs do not provide the standard of education needed to survive in the real world)

Whatever tho either way its AGGIE PRIDE till I die. I wouldn't take back my 4 years at A&T at all..... Makes me even more proud to be a young successful Black Man.

Originally Posted by Wr

hbcu's were created to employ people of color in agriculture and mechanical trades hence why most of them end with a&m. The working field has change and most colleges that have this format hold on to it because of tradition. We are largely a service based economy now. We don't build or farm anything. Until they change, they'll stay stuck in the past. I never went to an hbcu, but my fam did. There is a noticeable difference in the college experience. When you go there, feels like you stepped into the past compared to other colleges. It's like the difference between a high school in the hood and in an affluent tax rich neighborhood. People's priorities are totally different. From the students to the administration. From my experience, don't go to one if you don't have to...
Thread/.

Originally Posted by Wr

hbcu's were created to employ people of color in agriculture and mechanical trades hence why most of them end with a&m. The working field has change and most colleges that have this format hold on to it because of tradition. We are largely a service based economy now. We don't build or farm anything. Until they change, they'll stay stuck in the past. I never went to an hbcu, but my fam did. There is a noticeable difference in the college experience. When you go there, feels like you stepped into the past compared to other colleges. It's like the difference between a high school in the hood and in an affluent tax rich neighborhood. People's priorities are totally different. From the students to the administration. From my experience, don't go to one if you don't have to...
Actually surprised you weren't rooting for em.

Originally Posted by kickstart

Originally Posted by Wr

Actually surprised you weren't rooting for em.
Why is that?

Originally Posted by shottadru718

Originally Posted by Cobra Kai

Diversity is key!
While that is true why does it seem like I hear this way more often from blacks?  I don't hear this as often or at all from friends of other races maybe it's just my experience.  I went to Southern U my first 2 yrs and some of the things about financial aid, living, HBCU's in general is true but that didn't stop me from doing what I had to have done.  It also didn't stop alot of others from making something out of themselves.  

Originally Posted by Phen0m

Originally Posted by gllahone84

I graduated from an HBCU in NC...my state is known for HBCU's and some of the best colleges overall. I enjoyed my experience and if you’re a black person in high school I would strongly consider going to one because the environment is like no other that you've been around probably. I don't understand the hate for an HBCU especially if you’re a person of color, go and witness firsthand the homecomings, girls, and just total acceptance for the most part. There's no division like that, and the only division may come from fraternities and sororities but that's nothing in the grand scheme of things.
Perhaps it was just the one I attended.. but the acceptance is a misconception.  Segregation and hate still exists in these arenas.. it's just realized in the form of the elite black folks, pitting themselves vs the non-elites/poorer.  The lighter skinned vs the darker.. its many times subtle.. often times.. not.

Sounds like School Daze...but for the most part you go to a non-HBCU and see how it is. I've never experienced it, but being around my people 24/7 was cool. I like diversity and all, but I was around white people who were the majority in the school's I attended from elementary on up to high school. You already know how it goes, from the school club's to the AP classes, to who receives preferential treatment. I was glad to have an entirely different experience. You may have segregation at an HBCU but the light skinned vs. darker skinned is nothing when you're completely out numbered and you can't relate to the dominant culture. I guess that what it all comes down to for me, the culture and being able to relate with the people.

Originally Posted by DC ShoeDon

Some of you are making excuses. It's what YOU as an individual take away from the experience.  

This

College is what you make of it...

Develop a plan and stay focused on that plan, and you should be fine...

Cant really speak on the admin aspect...

Most of the times I went to handle my financial aid, I did so a month before school actually started, and I thought they handled my situation well...

Not only was I challenged academically (IMO), but I thought that they did a good job with preparing us for careers and school post-undergrad...

I'm and Electrical Construction Engineer if that matters any... Morgan State University

And I work daily with folks that have graduated from the likes of College Park, Penn State, and VT...

Take college for what it's worth academically, and invest your time properly...

*attempts to deal with HBCU Financial Aid and Registration offices*
Spoiler [+]
tumblr_lpukl5KGxr1qiz883.jpg

I'm not impressed by the whole "PWIs have more diversity" line anymore. UMD-CP is diverse but its segregated.
Just like my public high school was for the most part...and just like this country is. HBCUs should get no unwarranted hate on that issue.

^ Kinda agree. I went to all Black and Hispanic HS then diverse university. The segregation in college is blatant. In HS we all sort of shared the same experiences. In college, not so much.

Originally Posted by Retro23J

*attempts to deal with HBCU Financial Aid and Registration offices*
Spoiler [+]
tumblr_lpukl5KGxr1qiz883.jpg
laugh.gif
 so true, dreaded dealing with financial aid

HBCU's carry a negative perception. Like many in this thread have said HBCUs are seen as a last resort or having lower admission standards. The world is diverse and you need to the know the truth about it. College isn't only for the education experience, it gives you insight into the world. With that being said, There was nothing more sobering or education than look out in a exam room of 400+ and being able to count the number of minorities(spanish and black) on two hands.

i heard that a degree from an HBCU dont mean %$*@ in the real world.

quoting... not my thoughts...

I currently go to Bowie State University (HBCU), which is located in Bowie, Maryland(PG County). I was a transfer student from PG Community College and I will say that academically Bowie State is pretty good, but I will admit that the advisers and administrators suck really bad.. This past semester in the Spring, which was my first semester there they messed up on me enrolling in my forth class, which could of made me full time. What happen was that when I try to register for my 4th class, they put a hold on my student account because they said I didn't fill out a wellness form, which they didn't tell me nothing about when I first applied for the school. In result, I ended up taking 3 classes instead of 4 because of them not telling that I had to fill out a wellness from...
30t6p3b.gif
  I was heated... It also seems like the advisers aren't professional and don't really have a clue on what they are doing, so I learned from other students there that I just have to be on top of my game with them.. The environment isn't bad though..

I'm attending one for graduate school.
There are pro's/con's, but it's all in you handle it and make of the situation.
I will say, I dread the whole registration/financial aid/validation process-highly unorganized and one big headache.

The thing about HBCUs is that they tend to operate incompetently, inefficiently and corruptly. All colleges have their issues and not all students apply themselves, but HBCUs tend to outweigh both of those truths. The issues with screwing up records, financial aid, ****ery, nepotism, favoritism, and all the other stories that come out lie on the administration. The whole "college is what you make of it" line is true but it's used to coddle HBCUs. They were founded on the principle of giving minorities a chance to compete against the "Man" but they tend to do the same and worse things to minorities. They basically handicap or ruin students' academic and credit futures with all the hustling that goes on. Here's a few lowlights that made the news:

http://articles.cnn.com/2...ge-students?_s=PM:HEALTH

http://www.kwtx.com/home/headlines/49129102.html

http://www.flcourier.com/...rida/6014-crisis-at-b-cu

It's def not cool going to school somewhere and then all of a sudden your school loses it's accreditation and your degree and hard work is instantly deemed worthless.

Back
Top Bottom