HBCUs... Anybody ever attended/attending one?

I went to Prairie View my first year of college. If you're going for an education I would say don't even think about it unless you just want to pass very easily. If you're going for a good time I would say do it. Majority of the girls are %*%@%@ and the parties are great. I've been back to visit PV twice for homecoming and both times there was shootings.

Originally Posted by sneakaprince

Originally Posted by 2b1ASK1

sneakaprince wrote:
n man u already know AGGIE pride bro..... I'm surprised NT is so against hbcus they easily have a better social scene for blacks I'm in Ohio now n it pale sin comparison to A&T life
Easier scene but less diversity.. I usually talked to the old school faculty b/c those are still the ones that want to see African American's succeed and came through with networks, these new breed cats are only on the ticket if it fits their bill.. And like some dude said before if its not in the top 7/8..ehhh, i'll pass.

As far as HBCU's for Ohio, I believe we have the oldest one being Wilberforce U, others are wack, so like you said 'pale'.. where you at in the state yo?

Sorry so late but I go to Case Western now for Grad school... As I stated before my HBCU experience was great for me. I grew up in a very diverse household (my mom is black, pop is Nigerian and my step-mom is literally a 60 year old Caucasian lady who grew up on a farm in Iowa). I grew up in Milwaukee, WI. and I was fortunate enough to go to a very diverse high school. I needed the HBCU experience in order to have actual pride in my education. As a young black man there is no way I would've gotten the same life lessons at another institute. In truth academically A&T didn't challenge me nearly enough in fact its well known that I got away with way more than I should've it came back to bite me in the butt in my first semester of graduate school but I still worked hard and have since caught up with many of my peers that attended PWIs. 
Its well known that most African American's with Masters and Doctoral level degrees come from HBCUs. 
pimp.gif
 (the downside of this may be that we get these degree because ultimately many HBCUs do not provide the standard of education needed to survive in the real world)

Whatever tho either way its AGGIE PRIDE till I die. I wouldn't take back my 4 years at A&T at all..... Makes me even more proud to be a young successful Black Man.

Oh aite, midwest... What them winters be like in WI??

Due to the fact that both of my major professors did their studies @ Harvard, I hated class.
Long projects, extensive research blah blah blah... I do believe I learned more of life's lessons from attending an HBCU.. Dudes stay losing papers...

FYI ALL COLLEGE NTERS, SAVE ALL OF YOUR DOCUMENTS. Get a binder and save any records from the school. I still have mine scanned on my lappy.

Originally Posted by ricky409

i heard that a degree from an HBCU dont mean %$*@ in the real world.

quoting... not my thoughts...

A lot of people in my family will disagree with that.

Originally Posted by marmourjr

I graduated from Dillard University. If I had to do it again, I would of not attended a HBCU school. Unless it was like a graduate school (Medical, Law).

You're more likely to have a greater network at a diverse school.
What year did you graduate from Dillard?

That's dead wrong. FAMU grad here, and we've got corporate execs all over this country. People my age (31) in Senior Manager/Director level positions at Fortune 500 companies, Investment Bankers, Corporate Lawyers, Mayors, and all kinds of successful people. I can't speak for the other HBCU's but FAMU is doing their thing in the "real world" and Corporate America is taking notice.

Originally Posted by FDUB

I currently go to Bowie State University (HBCU), which is located in Bowie, Maryland(PG County). I was a transfer student from PG Community College and I will say that academically Bowie State is pretty good, but I will admit that the advisers and administrators suck really bad.. This past semester in the Spring, which was my first semester there they messed up on me enrolling in my forth class, which could of made me full time. What happen was that when I try to register for my 4th class, they put a hold on my student account because they said I didn't fill out a wellness form, which they didn't tell me nothing about when I first applied for the school. In result, I ended up taking 3 classes instead of 4 because of them not telling that I had to fill out a wellness from...
30t6p3b.gif
  I was heated... It also seems like the advisers aren't professional and don't really have a clue on what they are doing, so I learned from other students there that I just have to be on top of my game with them.. The environment isn't bad though..
my friend goes to Bowie, something similar happened to him. actually a lot of people get screwed over there from what i've heard
30t6p3b.gif

Originally Posted by Adidas Freak

I went to Prairie View my first year of college. If you're going for an education I would say don't even think about it unless you just want to pass very easily. If you're going for a good time I would say do it. Majority of the girls are %*%@%@ and the parties are great. I've been back to visit PV twice for homecoming and both times there was shootings.

I was recruited to go to PV for track, and the assistant coach took me on probably the worst most unprofessional tour of a school I ever been on. I pretty much held a grudge
against PV ever since, and was fortunate enough the whoop a bunch of their runners at certain races here and there, even though I was at a DII school.

Many times it's really what you make of it.. a bud and I from the burbs went to an offbrand (not top 8 or even top 30) HBCU and had two totally different opinions. He loves it and stayed, whereas I hated it and booked it to a pwi. I was blessed that the athletics department didn't mess me over so I never had to worry about financial aid, but I've heard/ seen what goes on (kids having to go back home after hustling for a ride to get there, unpacking and everything, no matter where they're from; athletes included). I was the first athlete ever to get accepted on the spot, and all I did was tell the admissions my gpa and sat scores (magnet student with a 2.8 and 1050..not impressive at all but to them I was harvard material). My first mistake during my enrollment: I came in expecting star athlete treatment i.e. (shoes, shirts, warm-ups, gear just to kick it in and showoff in class)
pimp.gif
. NONE of that ha. Things I didn't like: 1. rudeness of the staff, cafe/admin workers 2. safety and people getting robbed (myself included) 3. IGNORANCE!!!! ppl damaging things like exit signs/ lights/ holes in walls 4. Prejudice: being lightskin/mixed = being too good and not really being black 5. School had 0 upgrades and no technology... hence the name historical I guess.. 6. no coed dorms, so NO visitation from the opposite sex!!! (didn't know this going in) ...the pwi seems to be a better fit but the professors really dont care about you like they do at an HBCU and always having to
nerd.gif
to see if you're in the right class bc of soo many faces is awkward. And believe it or not I do miss the ignorance.. I ,also, miss the closeness/ family vibe where everyone knows everyone and I really am considering going back, but just to a more known HBCU.

i just had to withdraw from SCSU, and honestly i felt like i got scammed into to withdrawing...smh

I went to Hampton in VA...loved it. I was around nothing but other blacks that were all focused on rising to the top. There were some whose parents and grandparents attended Hampton as well. It was a great experience.

Went for a semester, hated it, & I never went back.

For most of the kids it was either school or jail, so you got that aspect of it.

Some cool people, but it just wasn't my thing.

Originally Posted by North Dade Represent

ricky409 wrote:

That's dead wrong. FAMU grad here, and we've got corporate execs all over this country. People my age (31) in Senior Manager/Director level positions at Fortune 500 companies, Investment Bankers, Corporate Lawyers, Mayors, and all kinds of successful people. I can't speak for the other HBCU's but FAMU is doing their thing in the "real world" and Corporate America is taking notice.

On a grad level, I will not argue that.  However, for an undergrad degree, most corporations are not interested.  This is where your grades really comes into play.  If you are in the top 5% of your class and interning with a company though-out the school year, you most likely will be able to succeed.  At the end of the day, academically you must do well.  (3.0 or higher)     

Originally Posted by Peep Game

Originally Posted by Adidas Freak

I was recruited to go to PV for track, and the assistant coach took me on probably the worst most unprofessional tour of a school I ever been on. I pretty much held a grudge
against PV ever since, and was fortunate enough the whoop a bunch of their runners at certain races here and there, even though I was at a DII school.

At least you had a tour before you decided. I applied, got accepted, and went straight to orientation.
30t6p3b.gif
worst day of my life. I couldn't believe I got coerced into going to that worthless excuse of a school.

Originally Posted by sneakaprince

Easier scene but less diversity.. I usually talked to the old school faculty b/c those are still the ones that want to see African American's succeed and came through with networks, these new breed cats are only on the ticket if it fits their bill.. And like some dude said before if its not in the top 7/8..ehhh, i'll pass.

As far as HBCU's for Ohio, I believe we have the oldest one being Wilberforce U, others are wack, so like you said 'pale'.. where you at in the state yo?

Sorry so late but I go to Case Western now for Grad school... As I stated before my HBCU experience was great for me. I grew up in a very diverse household (my mom is black, pop is Nigerian and my step-mom is literally a 60 year old Caucasian lady who grew up on a farm in Iowa). I grew up in Milwaukee, WI. and I was fortunate enough to go to a very diverse high school. I needed the HBCU experience in order to have actual pride in my education. As a young black man there is no way I would've gotten the same life lessons at another institute. In truth academically A&T didn't challenge me nearly enough in fact its well known that I got away with way more than I should've it came back to bite me in the butt in my first semester of graduate school but I still worked hard and have since caught up with many of my peers that attended PWIs. 
Its well known that most African American's with Masters and Doctoral level degrees come from HBCUs. 
pimp.gif
 (the downside of this may be that we get these degree because ultimately many HBCUs do not provide the standard of education needed to survive in the real world)

Whatever tho either way its AGGIE PRIDE till I die. I wouldn't take back my 4 years at A&T at all..... Makes me even more proud to be a young successful Black Man.

Oh aite, midwest... What them winters be like in WI??

Due to the fact that both of my major professors did their studies @ Harvard, I hated class.
Long projects, extensive research blah blah blah... I do believe I learned more of life's lessons from attending an HBCU.. Dudes stay losing papers...

FYI ALL COLLEGE NTERS, SAVE ALL OF YOUR DOCUMENTS. Get a binder and save any records from the school. I still have mine scanned on my lappy.

Winter in WI is colder than a polar bear %+$

Originally Posted by AntBanks81

I went to Hampton in VA...loved it. I was around nothing but other blacks that were all focused on rising to the top. There were some whose parents and grandparents attended Hampton as well. It was a great experience.
Some of the most absolutely beautiful women anywhere.

ricky409 wrote:

On a grad level, I will not argue that.  However, for an undergrad degree, most corporations are not interested.  This is where your grades really comes into play.  If you are in the top 5% of your class and interning with a company though-out the school year, you most likely will be able to succeed.  At the end of the day, academically you must do well.  (3.0 or higher)     
Thats not true either.
For what FAMU specializes in, agricultural engineering, their undergrads are some of the most sought after in the nation.

Originally Posted by letsgetit22

my sister works at boeing making 75k+ a year. With a bachelors from Norfolk State in computer science. Its what you make of it bro.
EDIT

Hampton U aint ++@@
alien.gif
. and i bacc that up, respectively.

Originally Posted by goldenchild9

Thats not true either.
For what FAMU specializes in, agricultural engineering, their undergrads are some of the most sought after in the nation.

I'm talking HBCU...My step-brother graduated from Hampton with a 3.5, and is getting overlooked all the time.  His major was engineering and poor guy is not even working in his field. All I hear him complain about is having to pay all that money for something he's not even in.  I guess it's a personal judgement call.  Most of the people I know from HBCU are not working in their field or unemployeed.

It's truly about who you know now and days. You must have a strong network.

I liked FAMU's vibe when I visited, but I don't think I would ever go to one. It feels like it shelters you out from the rest of the world's cultures. In the real world, you're going to be dealing with people of all races/ethnicities, so why go to school with only one?

Originally Posted by toast1985

Graduated from FAMU (recently voted one of the best schools in the Southeast by the Princeton review), and I couldn't imagine graduating from any other school in all honesty.

Toast how challenging are the academics and how are the females looking down there?
Academics are challenging considering your major. If you're an arts history major, then the workload may be heavy, but its not as challenging as engineering. 
And when it comes to the females...Tallahassee has the best collection of females in the South. IDK what anyone says, but its hidden gem for women. 

I'm a senior at NCCU and as others have said it's all about what you put into it. My experience has been mostly good due to my approach, I'm trying to graduate and embark upon my career so I've overlooked some of the BS and shortcomings my school has. A lot of people in this thread have been complaining about diversity but that's a cop out. Most HBCUs are close to bigger PWIs so if you want to mingle with various people they're not too far. In the end I made a decision that I felt was right and I don't regret it. If you don't like how things are goin at your HBCU then donate your time, talents, and money to improving it after you graduate.

Graduated from FAMU (recently voted one of the best schools in the Southeast by the Princeton review), and I couldn't imagine graduating from any other school in all honesty.

Toast how challenging are the academics and how are the females looking down there?
Academics are challenging considering your major. If you're an arts history major, then the workload may be heavy, but its not as challenging as engineering. 
And when it comes to the females...Tallahassee has the best collection of females in the South. IDK what anyone says, but its hidden gem for women. 

laugh.gif
 stop it five. While there are plenty of good looking women in Tallahassee, calling it a hidden gem is really reaching. Toast must be into hoodrats because there's 

droves of them down here. As far as academics it's not challenging imo. 

Originally Posted by CJ863

laugh.gif
 stop it five. While there are plenty of good looking women in Tallahassee, calling it a hidden gem is really reaching. Toast must be into hoodrats because there's 

droves of them down here. As far as academics it's not challenging imo. 
I'm sorry bro, there are a lot of quality women in Tally, its a college town for crying out loud. And I'm talking FSU x FAMU combined. This is coming from a guy who was born and raised in Miami, and I've been all over the map...Tally is definitely a nice spot to be for women. Yes, you have your fair share of hoodrats, there is no doubting that...but thats a given in the south. 

Originally Posted by Luciano Jones

Originally Posted by letsgetit22

my sister works at boeing making 75k+ a year. With a bachelors from Norfolk State in computer science. Its what you make of it bro.
EDIT

Hampton U aint ++@@
alien.gif
. and i bacc that up, respectively.
Norfolk State Grad here...and I gotta agree with Luciano, it is what you make of it. My degree has worked out well for me being a teacher. Our school of education is one of the top schools in Virginia. #BeholdTheGreenAndGold

I am a proud graduate of 2 HBCUs. HBCUs give students an opportunity to attend college due to the entrance requirements being a little rigorous than a PWI. My undergraduate had a Summer Prep Program for students that didnt have the grades/SAT scores to get into college, but allowed them to particiapte in the summer to show "what they were made for" if you attend one in freshman year and dont like it, then transfer to a PWI, but there is NOTHING wrong with HBCUs.

UMES '04
BSU '07

Back
Top Bottom