HBO: † "The Leftovers" Series Discussion...†

Were you satisfied with the ending?

• Yes, completely. It was perfect.

Votes: 11 73.3%
  • 50/50, I wanted a little more closure to some loose ends.

Votes: 4 26.7%
  • No, way too much focus on Nora.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • HELL NO! I wanted the mystery of the 2% disappeared to be explained.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Thought the finalie waa subpar. I was too invested in everything for the end to be so bland imo. Thought they could of gave us more.

One thing for sure is I learned about a lot of cool music I listen to regularly now from this show

Last edited:
Finale was 8/8. The entire show as a whole was an 8/8.

With another season I might have even called it a top 3 show I've ever seen. As is, it was a beautiful, short-lived, masterpiece of storytelling. I wouldn't have guessed in the span of 28 episodes you'd go from small town cop to another adventure spanning dimensions and continents and still keep it all together. "LOST done right" is a great way to put it :lol: :pimp:

Gonna miss this show.

I didn't love the finale but didn't hate and as I said was let down (not cuz no answers were given, I already assumed and accepted most ppl in this are crazy or just have had wild experiences and lean to heavy on this can't be a coincidence).

This was a good ep though but it didn't feel like a finale or series finale. It felt almost like another ep.

They should've gave last week's ep an extra 10-15 min to hammer home Harvey Sr. was wrong, Murphy resolves or deals with the death of Evie, and that something generally wrong with Kevin (all of his death's except getting ****ninvolve flooding his lungs and depriving his brain if oxygen).

Also find a way to include Matt to give him a better conclusion cuz they wrapped up his story with him having a conversation about his sickness, his faith, and inevitable death with a crazy man that believes he was god which offended Matt and that guy ends up being mauled to death. With a literal snap of a finger Matt just changed.

Then for the rest of the season he's at his sister's side, finally being a good brother but they don't really hone in on his obsession with Kevin, the anniversary if the departures and him swearing something would happen and then giving all that up as he dreads dealing with the process of trying to cure him, his wife, and his young son. He literally just flipped on a dime and supported Nora for thebrest of the show.

The Book of Nora has a lot of other independent stuff you can really appreciate about music/soundtracks, cinematography, acting, and writing though.

Last edited:
I really thought they'd at least flash back and forth between scenes of what happened to her while she was telling Kevin the story. They started to with them recapping her getting into the machine but right when she panics or whatever it was just her talking. I thought for sure when she got to the part of her getting to Mapleton they would show her walking through the street, past some recognizable buildings and then getting back to her old house and doing all the hiding and waiting. I also wanted shots of what the world looked like there, like her on a boat, or what kind of trouble she had to go through to track down the inventor, she made everything seem so difficult on the other world.
I wonder what happened to all the other people that "went through" too, would've been nice to see what a person that actually found their loved ones and acted on it, how those results went.

I also wish we got a character centric episode on the person that invented the machine. They could have easily done it like how they introduced the Murphys in the season 2 premiere, not telling us squat and somehow connect it at the end. Just with his experience going through and how he coped and did he have communication with those 2 professors or scientists after. how was that even setup? Because after you went through there was literally no one to even greet you.

biggest complaint is that this season wasn't a 10 episode season

:lol:

guess this is what the great shows do, make you think and yes I know A LOT of this is supposed to be left to the imagination. Perrotta needs to write a sequel book

finale was still great though
I wanted to see what happened to Nora when she went to the other world too, but I'm also not surprised I didn't.
I think the reason they didn't show it is because they want us to decide if Nora's story was true or not (just like some of the stories we've read in the Bible). Every scene in the finale were facts and events that actually happened. Nothing was a delusion from one of the characters. Did Nora really transport to the other world, did moses really part the Red Sea?
To me the show dealt with how the characters got themselves to finally cope with the unknown and supernatural

One thing for sure is I learned about a lot of cool music I listen to regularly now from this show

That is what will stay with me longer, :lol:. Added one or two to my playlist as a result. As for the finale itself if meh. I'm glad we finally know that the departed are still alive just in another realm if that is the right word. The hardest part to believe out of everything is that Nora got the Physicist to build another machine. That seems to be the most ridiculous thing about her story. Like this guy would just do it for free when they are charging people 20 racks to get to the other side.

Even if he did charge, how did she pay? How was she able to do any of the things she did while in bizaro world?

I thought they wrapped it up perfectly.

At it's core it's a love story, which, when you take a step back from, you should be pissed about but you're not because it involved so many other layers of human ideologies that you had to comb through.

I definitely had the feels by the end of it all. Finally, Nora and Kevin can just love another without allowing all this other BS to cloud their emotional connection.

I thought they wrapped it up perfectly.

At it's core it's a love story, which, when you take a step back from, you should be pissed about but you're not because it involved so many other layers of human ideologies that you had to comb through.

I definitely had the feels by the end of it all. Finally, Nora and Kevin can just love another without allowing all this other BS to cloud their emotional connection.
I disagree with this completely.

S1 wasn't a love story at all. It was mostly about Guilty Remnant and Kevin's sleep walking. S2 it played the background as the focus was this magical town that had no departures. S3 in many ways was the fall out of s2 until it started to focus on the anniversary. Even all of the character interactions dont point to this being a love story

At its core, this was about broken ppl coping and trying to live their lives after an unexplainable event that directly or indirectly wrecks everyone's life in some shape or form.

Show was like a Lost redux. Kevin is Jack (a pragmatic skeptic that in the end gives in and believes), Matt is Locke (the man of faith), Nora I guess is Kate (got her own personal **** going on), Patty is sort of Ben (manipulative adversary).

S1 wasn't a love story at all. It was mostly about Guilty Remnant and Kevin's sleep walking. S2 it played the background as the focus was this magical town that had no departures. S3 in many ways was the fall out of s2 until it started to focus on the anniversary. Even all of the character interactions dont point to this being a love story

At its core, this was about broken ppl coping and trying to live their lives after an unexplainable event that directly or indirectly wrecks everyone's life in some shape or form.

Show was like a Lost redux. Kevin is Jack (a pragmatic skeptic that in the end gives in and believes), Matt is Locke (the man of faith), Nora I guess is Kate (got her own personal **** going on), Patty is sort of Ben (manipulative adversary).

Lindelof himself even stated that the core of the show was about it being a love story but you got it brah, I already know how you operate.

You're not about to drag me into one of your asinine arguments cause you're bored in mom's basement :lol:

Last edited:

Lindelof himself even stated that the core of the show was about it being a love story but you got it brah, I already know how you operate.

You're not about to drag me into one of your asinine arguments cause you're bored in mom's basement :lol:
You know he lying just like he did with Lost.

Jam a show with stuff specifically dealing with sci-fi or the supernatural. Attach mystery and suspense to the show's hip and then when the huge fan base asks for some answers back peddle to one story point or subplot and claim the show was all about that one thing all along.

Kevin's and Nora's relationship was not the core of the show :lol:

As for the personal shots, they were weak but I can't pretend like I'm familiar with you but you clearly have an opinion about me.

I find it funny you're gonna say my stance is the asinine one when yours is full of ****. It wasn't an argument word to the first sentence.

Last edited:
"'You know where they went, right?'" the author tells Bustle. "And I said, 'Well no, because to me the Departure is a symbol for everything we can't know, and our job as humans is to tell stories that will satisfactorily allow us to get through our lives despite the fact that we can't know.'"

Shows some folks were expecting the wrong thing from this show.

Love Perrotta's writing(read 3 of his books) So I already knew when this was getting turned into a show, it was wishful thinking for me to even wonder if I'd get the kind of questions I wanted answered.

:lol: I mean I'm asking the same questions I did when I was reading the book.

Great journey though, loved seeing his name in the credits for the show, wasn't expecting that much involvement from him

I really didn't mind not giving a concrete answer to what happened to the departed or where they went if anywhere.

The crafting of the mystery. The heavy slant on religion. The interesting characters and their journey. That's what made the storytelling so great.

For all I care the day of the departures could've been the preamble to an alien invasion or just a mass alien abduction :lol:

Last edited:
One of the reasons I feel they chose Let The Mystery Be was to hammer home their intent to not answer anything concrete. Kind of talking directly to the audience "Hey! Remember, if you stick around, just let the mystery be!"

One of the reasons I feel they chose Let The Mystery Be was to hammer home their intent to not answer anything concrete. Kind of talking directly to the audience "Hey! Remember, if you stick around, just let the mystery be!"

I said the same thing to my wife. There's a reason behind every song chosen.

Pretty clever in a way. Have this big overarching mystery that neither the characters nor the audience will ever get the answer to as an aside. Can't say I want to do that again though.

Haven't been in her for a while but just wanted to chime in. This was a beautiful series of television art (Definitely in my top 5). Yes...I would have like a few more answers but, I couldn't have asked for a better series and I am completely satisfied with the ending. I've been a fan since day one, it's a little ironic I lost my mother and brother months apart right around the series premiere so season 1 really got to me, and it's been a great ride since. I'm happy they ended it on the writers terms, instead of dragging it out forever and getting worse by season. Thinking back I can't think of a bad episode in the whole series. I look forward to more of Perotta and Lindelofs work.

Back
Top Bottom