HBO's Series: Game of Thrones (4/17, 9:00-10:05 p.m. ET/PT)

^
I like the 5th book so far.  We get to learn more about the islands outside of the kingdom.  Dorne and the royal family are interesting.

I know the general consensus is that people hate the 4th and 5th book but I still enjoy them.  A Storm of Swords raised the level so high that people feel let down by anything else.

So I just started reading the first book finally.. I've tried to avoid this thread so as not to get spoilers on the upcoming books.

Quick question though for those of you who are further along.

How important is it to keep track of all of the different houses? Outside of the major houses (Stark, Lannister, Baratheon, Arryn, and Tyrell) do a lot of the other ones get more involved as the story goes on? It someimes becomes difficult for me to keep track of whos who, especially if they dont have a specific chapter or part of the story that directly involves them.

So I just started reading the first book finally.. I've tried to avoid this thread so as not to get spoilers on the upcoming books.

How important is it to keep track of all of the different houses? Outside of the major houses (Stark, Lannister, Baratheon, Arryn, and Tyrell) do a lot of the other ones get more involved as the story goes on? It someimes becomes difficult for me to keep track of whos who, especially if they dont have a specific chapter or part of the story that directly involves them.

Originally Posted by Mojodmonky1

comprehensive knowledge of the major houses would help you follow along. there are A LOT of name drops and side stories that would give you a better understanding of the main storylines just by knowing who's son is who's, or the history of certain battles and who killed who, etc. 
Print this out and use it as reference as you read the first book. It helped me out immensely and i didn't even need it to follow along for the other 4 

Originally Posted by Mojodmonky1

comprehensive knowledge of the major houses would help you follow along. there are A LOT of name drops and side stories that would give you a better understanding of the main storylines just by knowing who's son is who's, or the history of certain battles and who killed who, etc. 
Print this out and use it as reference as you read the first book. It helped me out immensely and i didn't even need it to follow along for the other 4 

^ thank you.

ok i think ive got a decent grasp of it so far then. looking at the map and guide the only one i wasnt familiar with was House Martell. Hopefully they will talk more about them if they are going to become players

^ thank you.

ok i think ive got a decent grasp of it so far then. looking at the map and guide the only one i wasnt familiar with was House Martell. Hopefully they will talk more about them if they are going to become players

started 5th book yesterday
so far it's ok, but that's 2 chapters in
laugh.gif

hopefully it'll pick up with Dany's chapter.

Just finished season one of the show. Cannot believe I waited so long to watch this series...Now, I have to look for the books to read.

Just finished season one of the show. Cannot believe I waited so long to watch this series...Now, I have to look for the books to read.

I'm halfway done with ADWD.  I was getting irritated that the characters I wanted to read about again are deeper into the book.  I didn't really care much for the first 400 pages, but they did provide a few good revelations and interesting information.  I'm still unsure of the direction he's heading with 2 characters in particular.  One of them has gone a different direction in every book.  I thought we would've found out what happened to Benjen Stark by now.  I thought it would've happened 2 books ago.
I just finished the chapter where Dany finally spreads her legs for someone again.  Out of all her suitors and people wanting to marry her, she chooses the most ridiculous looking one 
indifferent.gif
.  The guy sounds like a clown / sideshow freak.  Khal Drago's ghost should go over there and smack both of them around.

I'm halfway done with ADWD.  I was getting irritated that the characters I wanted to read about again are deeper into the book.  I didn't really care much for the first 400 pages, but they did provide a few good revelations and interesting information.  I'm still unsure of the direction he's heading with 2 characters in particular.  One of them has gone a different direction in every book.  I thought we would've found out what happened to Benjen Stark by now.  I thought it would've happened 2 books ago.
I just finished the chapter where Dany finally spreads her legs for someone again.  Out of all her suitors and people wanting to marry her, she chooses the most ridiculous looking one 
indifferent.gif
.  The guy sounds like a clown / sideshow freak.  Khal Drago's ghost should go over there and smack both of them around.

Originally Posted by shogun

indifferent.gif

I have a theory about Benjen Stark

Spoiler [+]
I think "ColdHands" is Benjen Stark. He mentioned to Sam and Gilly that he was a member of the Nights Watch when he helped them escape from the wights. 

On another note Season 2 will debut April 1st.  

indifferent.gif

Spoiler [+]
I think "ColdHands" is Benjen Stark. He mentioned to Sam and Gilly that he was a member of the Nights Watch when he helped them escape from the wights. 

Originally Posted by toine2983

indifferent.gif

Spoiler [+]

i thought the same thing since he first came on the scene. I hope they delve more into his past eventually or he comes back around.
Spoiler [+]
after that last attack in the book he kinda just faded out of existence  for lack of a better word
laugh.gif
. or could he not pass a certain point? i marathoned all the novels so details get lost to me

Originally Posted by toine2983

indifferent.gif

Spoiler [+]

i thought the same thing since he first came on the scene. I hope they delve more into his past eventually or he comes back around.
Spoiler [+]
after that last attack in the book he kinda just faded out of existence  for lack of a better word
laugh.gif
. or could he not pass a certain point? i marathoned all the novels so details get lost to me

Back
Top Bottom