HDTV & Audio FAQ, Accessories and TV area setup Official Post Vol. That time again...

hmmm i just saw a commercial for walmart and they are having a sale on monday morning for a sanyo 46 for 598 ..

Originally Posted by ShaunJon

thinking about getting a 37" 1080p 120 hz LG Scarlet for 900, good deal?
People say when getting a 1080p its best to get 40 inches or bigger.

I don't feel like going into this, since I used to do this all day, and sometimes I still do. I'll just answer your questions. Ignore what it saysabout the dynamic contrast ratio, it seems all made up anyway. If you can, just compare them together. Samsung's true-black screen (65, 71, 80, 650 seriesand up maybe 630 series, is gonna blow pretty much every other LCD out of the water in terms of color). It has the rich black-levels of a Plasma, and yet stillthe same brightness you see on all other LCDs. If you're worrying about glare, consider Sony's lineup, or some of the Samsung models without thetrue-black screen. LG lineup is pretty sweet, too. Sharps is also good, but I don't like the color quality.

If you're on a budget, look at the Plasmas (Panasonic and the overrated Pioneer), ignore the rumors about burn-in, it hasn't been a problem in a fewyears now, and they are just as reliable as LCDs.

The 120hz feature is awesome for anything with a lot of special effects (Star Wars, video games), but for regular movies with more people than special effects,it looks unreal.

As far as the Home theater system goes, it's a matter of opinion. I'd e happy with a Sony 5.1 HTIB with wireless rear speakers for $400-500, but youmay want to go all out and spend $3000 plus on a badass Onkyo 7.1 system. Just depends on what you want and your budget.

Make sure you get a blu-ray player (PS3 is the fastest-loading one I've used) and use HDMI cables, if you really want to take advantage of your TV.

Here's my setup: 40" Samsung LN-T4065F. Only 60hz refresh rate, but I got a really good deal, and didn't feel like I needed the feature anyway.Still working on the home theater system.

mytv-1.jpg

mytv-2.jpg

mytv-3.jpg

i have a 46 inch sony bravia 1080p, can someone recommend me a good home theatre to go with it? or what speakers i should even get? i already have a ps3 toplay the blue ray so i guess i maybe just looking for 3.1 i dunno... HELP!

Originally Posted by LALAKERFAN213

My setup

can you please explain to me how u got that corner mount????????? i had to settle for a tv stand in my corner...but iw anted to mount it just like urs...i havea 40" xbr4

Originally Posted by IJUMPMAN

I don't feel like going into this, since I used to do this all day, and sometimes I still do. I'll just answer your questions. Ignore what it says about the dynamic contrast ratio, it seems all made up anyway. If you can, just compare them together. Samsung's true-black screen (65, 71, 80, 650 series and up maybe 630 series, is gonna blow pretty much every other LCD out of the water in terms of color). It has the rich black-levels of a Plasma, and yet still the same brightness you see on all other LCDs. If you're worrying about glare, consider Sony's lineup, or some of the Samsung models without the true-black screen. LG lineup is pretty sweet, too. Sharps is also good, but I don't like the color quality.

If you're on a budget, look at the Plasmas (Panasonic and the overrated Pioneer), ignore the rumors about burn-in, it hasn't been a problem in a few years now, and they are just as reliable as LCDs.

The 120hz feature is awesome for anything with a lot of special effects (Star Wars, video games), but for regular movies with more people than special effects, it looks unreal.

As far as the Home theater system goes, it's a matter of opinion. I'd e happy with a Sony 5.1 HTIB with wireless rear speakers for $400-500, but you may want to go all out and spend $3000 plus on a badass Onkyo 7.1 system. Just depends on what you want and your budget.

Make sure you get a blu-ray player (PS3 is the fastest-loading one I've used) and use HDMI cables, if you really want to take advantage of your TV.

Here's my setup: 40" Samsung LN-T4065F. Only 60hz refresh rate, but I got a really good deal, and didn't feel like I needed the feature anyway. Still working on the home theater system.

mytv-1.jpg

mytv-2.jpg

mytv-3.jpg
Thanks for coming through with the info and pics. That TV looks familiar. Have you had any pixel problems?

Originally Posted by elboricua 6

Yo whats good with the LC46SB54U 1080P ?? Does anyone have it? Should I pull the trigger for $900 no tax no shipping NIB?
It's coo, I jumped on that same deal. And also CNET gave it a pretty good review.

For the record, NFL Sunday+This TV=brilliance. Make sure you get a blu-ray player too.
pimp.gif

Originally Posted by DaNiKeRhiNo

Originally Posted by elboricua 6

Yo whats good with the LC46SB54U 1080P ?? Does anyone have it? Should I pull the trigger for $900 no tax no shipping NIB?
It's coo, I jumped on that same deal. And also CNET gave it a pretty good review.

For the record, NFL Sunday+This TV=brilliance. Make sure you get a blu-ray player too.
pimp.gif

Thanks .. How about a funny smell? Is it still a problem?

Originally Posted by copped

My setup

can you please explain to me how u got that corner mount????????? i had to settle for a tv stand in my corner...but iw anted to mount it just like urs...i have a 40" xbr4

You need an articulating wall mount... one that comes out from the wall and tilts left or right, so lets say the mount was attatched to the wall on the rightside... it comes out and then looks left at a 45.

Something like this... gonna run you like 200-300 though

b.jpg

^^ yeah that's what I was thinking, I bought an articulating wall mount from Monoprice about a year ago and it was only like $50.

Originally Posted by copped

My setup

can you please explain to me how u got that corner mount????????? i had to settle for a tv stand in my corner...but iw anted to mount it just like urs...i have a 40" xbr4

this setup is real cleeean
pimp.gif

pretty new to buying tvs looking to buy my first one reccomend me a size for a bedroom and to either go for plasma or lcd......are the vizio and the onesusually on sale at your walmarts and targets ok for just tv use and occasional dvds?

I just bought the holiday samsung 40 inch they had out. 1080p, 5ms response, 20:000 contrast ratio, for $800. I read some bad reviews but it looks real nice tome, plus i needed an entry-level tv ya know?

Originally Posted by REALTALKAZ

pretty new to buying tvs looking to buy my first one reccomend me a size for a bedroom and to either go for plasma or lcd......are the vizio and the ones usually on sale at your walmarts and targets ok for just tv use and occasional dvds?
Yeah I would say so. Vizio is pretty good from what I've read.

Is circuit city having any christmas sales? I need a 32- 37 in tv baaddd. I don't want to buy one now and then see it on sale later.

Hey whats good everyone? I just needed some quick advice/help. I recently brought a 19inch Sharp LCD HDTV for my bedroom. What TV wall mount do you guysrecommend for me to get? I tried searching for some on Amazon and Circuit City, but the only good ones I found were $65 and above. Thanks in advance!

ok just got samsung LCD 650

1) i dont have cable and cant get tv signal.....what kind of HD antenna should i buy that works and looks good (dont want bunny ears, lol..)

2) where can i find the optimal calibration/picture settings for my LCD ?

thanks!!!

got this tv on christmas eve..set it up this morning..
pimp.gif

o7sj2t.jpg

my room aint too big so this tv fits just right..22in vizio

***For the person asking about wall brackets:

Brackets will be priced according to adjustablilty. So if you just want something that will just keep your TV on the wall with no type of movement, you shouldfind plenty for $19.99-$39.99 at Bestbuy. Now, if your looking for a articulating, swivelling, tilting..etc...they will be about what you named in terms ofprice.

***For the person that asked about TV prices around Superbowl:

Let me give you some future advice. There are only 2 times in a year that you can find a TV for cheaper than normal. One is, Black Friday. The other is theweek before the Superbowl. Now, with that said; start researching now. You want to know what TV you want now, so by the time those sales begin then, all youwill have to do is go in to the store , buy and enjoy.

***For the person that just purchased the Samsung a650.

1. TV signal will be determined by your location. In terms of antennas, RCA has introduced a new flat 360 digital antenna that looks very clean and modern. Inorder to increase the chances of reception buy an antenna that states to be amplified---that just means it needs to be wall plugged. Use this website to get abetter idea of the best positioning for the best reception. http://www.antennaweb.org/aw/welcome.aspx

2. There aren't any 'calibration' setting on your TV. If what you are talking about is the video setting where you can adjust contrast, brightness,etc..., that can be found by hitting the menu button and it should be the first option you see under video.

Back
Top Bottom