HDTV & Audio FAQ, Accessories and TV area setup Official Post Vol. That time again...

Originally Posted by CWrite78

anybody have any suggestions on a remote to control 2 tvs (26inch vizio and 42inch vizio LCDs),xbox and directv box? I've looked at the logitech one and im leaning towards but would like to see other (cheaper) options out there. thanks in advance
Um Amazon is the only place I can think of to save money and get a crap load of reviews.

Question, I recently got a Dynex 32" (yeah i know the brand) it's great really great but theres a downside, see I'm a deaf guy and I preferpluggin my awesome headphones into the TV. Turns out the damn TV's headphone jack won't register the headphones as being in the jack. I gotta keep theTV for awhile until I get a new one...

Can anyone tell me if I can get a good HDTV with a working headphone jack?

^^ You just missed out on a lot sales on black friday on samsung ranging from 32-50inch with prices ranging from 388-899 respectively.

I just bought a 60 inch Mistubishi DLP TV from Black Friday. Its 1080p but i tried to watch my channels on satellite(Dish Network) and its only on 480i.
How do i make it at least 720 p or high def? Do i need to buy a hdtv antenna?

I tried to mess with the options but had no luck. : (

^ Order a HD box from your dish provider. Dish Network actually broadcast their HD in 1080p with their Turbo HD service.

The samsung series is ok, i would say the sony bravia line is better xbr4 or xbr5, it has less contrast ratio than the samsungs, but with the samsungs thecontrast ratio is higher but when fast moving things like a football game comes on its not as good, though the picture is still great,

Originally Posted by jae oh en

Originally Posted by gottagitdemjs

Here's my "command center"...lol. AKA my recliner with laptop stand and mini fridge. I always wanted a recliner with a mini-fridge next to it in college, so those are two of the first things I bought after I graduated.
my command center>your command center.
pimp.gif
laugh.gif
. it's funny because me and my friends actually refer to it as the command center. nice frikkin setups though. youre right, mini fridges are a must. its off to the side in this pic, but really should be the center piece of the room
laugh.gif

3033857823_48daa024e4_o.jpg

*edit - freshh/eman - right on for the NES. had to take it apart and clean it up to get it working right
laugh.gif
. thanks though, appreciate it.
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
pimp.gif
pimp.gif
pimp.gif
pimp.gif

Has anyone tried using Video Essentials to calibrate their tv, if so did you notice a significant improvement with the picture ? Thanks

Has anybody tried the THX Optimizer to calibrate their TV?

I picked up a 32inch Plasma Vizio and the picture just isn't as crisp as my LCD. The colors are better and I'm officially sold on Plasmas now but theimage just isn't as crisp unless I'm watching a BluRay movie which has perfect picture. When I'm watching my HD channels the picture justdoesn't have the same crispness and clarity as my LCD and it should be better.

ok so im leaning towards buyin a 46" samsung toc 650model LCD from bbuy

question 1) do i need to buy an extended warranty
question 2) do i need to pay for calibration
question 3) do i need any of the services offered by best buy (installation, etc..)?

thanks!

Originally Posted by Micah18

The samsung series is ok, i would say the sony bravia line is better xbr4 or xbr5, it has less contrast ratio than the samsungs, but with the samsungs the contrast ratio is higher but when fast moving things like a football game comes on its not as good, though the picture is still great,
Don't give out anymore advice man...
laugh.gif
10,000:1Contrast ratio on a samsung =/= 10,000:1 Contrast ratio on a Sony.

I swear if i see some people comparing contrast ratios between brands anymore my heads gonna explode...

the guys looking at a 400 series samsung and you recommend an XBR?

650 series Sammy can compete with any XBR out there... count on it.

Originally Posted by monday22

ok so im leaning towards buyin a 46" samsung toc 650model LCD from bbuy

question 1) do i need to buy an extended warranty
question 2) do i need to pay for calibration
question 3) do i need any of the services offered by best buy (installation, etc..)?

thanks!

1) NEED? No... but it could come in handy someday... on LCDs its not that expensive... I got the 4 year PSP on my plasma.
2) NEED? No... If you dont want to get your set calibrated then you dont have to... but it IS worth it if you want a picture thats going to be on point...gonna get a lot less noise in your picture when viewing things like bball games and other sports.
3) Are you wall mounting? Or are you just putting it on a stand and letting it rip?... If you plan on wall mounting then you really should get it installed byBB... if youre just putting it on a stand then you should be good if you are smart enough to plug stuff in.

grab one of those line conditioners though... i got the Monster Blackout 9000

Originally Posted by fraij da 5 11

Originally Posted by Micah18

The samsung series is ok, i would say the sony bravia line is better xbr4 or xbr5, it has less contrast ratio than the samsungs, but with the samsungs the contrast ratio is higher but when fast moving things like a football game comes on its not as good, though the picture is still great,
Don't give out anymore advice man...
laugh.gif
10,000:1 Contrast ratio on a samsung =/= 10,000:1 Contrast ratio on a Sony.

I swear if i see some people comparing contrast ratios between brands anymore my heads gonna explode...

the guys looking at a 400 series samsung and you recommend an XBR?

650 series Sammy can compete with any XBR out there... count on it.

Didnt Sony pay Samsung to make their screens or some crap like that?

Originally Posted by DemonX716

Has anyone tried using Video Essentials to calibrate their tv, if so did you notice a significant improvement with the picture ? Thanks

I have that and it does make a difference, but you will need to understand the tests and what to do. It is also better to get different calibration disks andfine tune the tv, like get Avia and DVE. If you dot want to spend the big bucks and get it professionally calibrated this is a good option.

fraig - thanks for your help, think i will go with the psp (for piece of mind) and the calibration (for the enhanced picture)

oh and no im not mounting it to a wall, just using a stand and it will only have a ps3 and wii hookd up to it (not a tv/sports fan, dont even havecable)...just wanted a really awesome TV with a beautiful picture to watch movies and play video games

and i think i can handle the set-up on my own, if not got some friends that can help

Originally Posted by elboricua 6

Didnt Sony pay Samsung to make their screens or some crap like that?
no its a joint venture between them to create paper thin type of lcd screens its called S-LCD

Originally Posted by shatterkneesinc

Originally Posted by RFX45

^^^ Thanks. another quick question, how about this audio system.
Is it any good and will work nicely in a small room as a home theatre system?
I just plan to have it connected to a PS3, DirectTV and the LCD above.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage...81127&lp=4&type=product&cp=1&id=1206141458600http://www.bestbuy.com/si...uct&cp=1&id=1206141458600http://www.bestbuy.com/si...cp=1&id=1206141458600
I do not recommend sony audio equipment. For a small room you should get logitech z-5500. They are cheaper and better than most home theaters

Just picked up the z-5500's the other day, things are
pimp.gif
So manyoptions with these things, just waiting for ATT uverse to come out in my area in the spring so i can make the necessary connections with different cables tohave a beast setup. And on the tv side, rocking a Sharp LC-32SB42U. 720p 32" Can't complain about it since i got it for free from my dad winning araffle, i swear, he's the luckiest man ever when it comes to raffles. We've gotten like 3 tv's that way
laugh.gif

Yo whats good with the LC46SB54U 1080P ?? Does anyone have it? Should I pull the trigger for $900 no tax no shipping NIB?

Back
Top Bottom