Help us improve our community moderation.

Honestly don't remember who he targeted. I know we let him rock on HT for a bit till he turned around and started banning same dudes from NT with a nice lil racist note. He was covert with pm's and doing it on other sites so other staff wasn't really hip to what he was doing.
Was he white? lol

The way he talked i'm sure he was, though we never really knew. Pretty much a jrepp, that's why you gotta watch them "don't talk race" type of dudes.

The way he talked i'm sure he was, though we never really knew. Pretty much a jrepp, that's why you gotta watch them "don't talk race" type of dudes.
There are quite a few of those on here, as you do know. I don’t know how one only wears Black endorsed product, yet feels Black people to be inferior. JRepp23 JRepp23 , care to address such issues?

jrose5 jrose5 didn't mean anything racial. He was born and raised in the coal mines in Michigan and that's how they talk. To be honest, libs deserved all that smoke he dealt out. Jokes of you scums because he is the new Administratior elect and there is not a darn thing you can do about it because STONE COLD SAID SO.

I was here but I don’t think I had signed up at the time. Don’t remember.

I was def on the other site watching those PMs get exposed and dude posting wild over there :lol:

always wondered how long mods knew dude was on that type of time cuz plenty folks on the other site were hip.
"The other site" you're referring to was an early 00's version of Pleasure Island from Pinocchio: a bratty 8 year old boy's fantasy of life without rules or accountability.
It didn't share the same accounts as NikeTalk, so there was no way for us to know which of our active accounts, if any, corresponded to any given account on that site - nor was I interested in squandering what little free time I had wallowing in that open pit latrine.

As I understand it, there were impostor accounts set up under the names of several well-known NikeTalk members, including multiple staff members.
I'd heard rumblings about what the JRose5 account was saying over there, but there was simply no proof at the time that it was the same person.

The moment I was able to confirm that he'd sent a racist PM through our platform, that was it for him. He tried to act like his account was hacked, which only added insult to injury - as if he wouldn't notice a message chain in his inbox that he didn't initiate, and this blatant negligence in account security would not, itself, be disqualifying in its own right. I know his name. I know where he's from. As long as I have any say in the matter, he'll never hold an account here again. Time will not heal that wound.

We appointed JRose5 to the staff in the early 2000's, when he, like many users, primarily posted in the sneaker forums. At the time, he'd developed a reputation for being helpful and he was widely suggested by NikeTalk members as someone who would make a good moderator. I don't remember anyone objecting to him - and certainly no one at the time warned anyone on our staff that he'd harassed them or made racist comments.

We've always drawn volunteer moderators from within the community and have involved the community in their selections, but, in hindsight, we didn't gather enough information to make a good decision. At minimum, we needed some indication of how a given candidate reacts to conflict, to get a sense of their values, and what type of perspective they'd be applying.

Thankfully, we have a much larger sample size to draw from with the people who've been recommended in this thread. Most of the candidates this time around have been members for over five years. Back then, NikeTalk hadn't even been around for that long.

The downside is that it takes a lot longer to vet people without additional help, because you're dealing with in some cases over a decade of posts, and we've all seen scores of situations in recent years in which someone will get elected, hired for a media job, or cast on a show only for someone to find a trove of hideously offensive comments they'd made in their teens or twenties.

We've been so protective of the community's integrity and reputation that it left us critically shorthanded. The drop-off in active staff support during the current pandemic forced us to start recruiting again, and that was a blessing in disguise. solewoman solewoman has been a fantastic addition to the team, and we'll continue to make strides to improve our community moderation.

It's not enough to be better than Facebook, Twitter, or XBox Live. That's like beating Bryant Reeves off the dribble... in 2020.
You deserve nothing less than the absolute best we can accomplish together, and that's a standard that should always rise, regardless of the competition.

I appreciate everyone's understanding, patience, and support.

The search for new staff has been unreasonably slow because the true conservatives on the site are being locked out of nominations. Meth has already opened our borders against better judgment, this is a travesty and the nominations have clearly been a train wreck.

darthska darthska remember when you pulled this on me?

😐

Didn’t know you were operating from the Jrose playbook.
You gotta be careful, because you know that when new mods come on board, people will try and help out the new mods, just to show who the trouble makers are here on niketallk.

The fact that you have so many racist pricks on this site that were supported by these mods? Truly resembles the NYPD in their blue wall of silence.

Back
Top Bottom