Hide Ya Wives, Hide Ya Kids: Worldwide Coronavirus Pandemic!

Are You Getting The Covid Vaccine?

• Yes

• No

• Only if mandatory

• Not if mandatory

• Undecided

Results are only viewable after voting.
I’m curious so I’m going to start asking everyone I know this question. Thought I’d ask here.

What’s your guys’ concern/fear level toward COVID now vs, say, April? Scale of 1-10, 1 being least concerned and 10 being most.

Take into account all the info that’s come out since then, your personal experience and observations, your prior expectations and expert predictions vs. now.

Also, are there any activities that you wouldn’t have even dared thought of doing then that you would now? i.e. Hoop at the park, eat outdoors/indoors, gyms, etc etc
I forget what I said a couple months ago. I think it was 7 or 8. I'd say now it's around 5. There's less uncertainty now about the virus than before, but it appears to be fairly deadly still and can cause long-term health problems. It's not something I'd want to get.

I'm fairly comfortable going grocery shopping and getting a haircut, which I was nervous about before, but I still try to minimize how often I do them. I've gotten less worried about washing and cleaning everything I buy and quarantining packages for 3 days. I'll shoot at the park on my own (not ready to play with others yet). I've gotten carry out a couple times now (up until July I never did) and I would be ok eating outside but I'm not seeking it out (and definitely not eating indoors). I'm less paranoid about biking or running without a mask, although I try to keep a distance. No gym for me but I would use my building's small gym once it opens back up if nobody is there.

I'm still not ready to fly yet.

The Dakotas, despite having incredibly low population density, now lead the country in new cases per capita.

Perhaps the Sturgis motorcycle rally has something to do with it. And the region not wearing masks.

I’m curious so I’m going to start asking everyone I know this question. Thought I’d ask here.

What’s your guys’ concern/fear level toward COVID now vs, say, April? Scale of 1-10, 1 being least concerned and 10 being most.

Take into account all the info that’s come out since then, your personal experience and observations, your prior expectations and expert predictions vs. now.

Also, are there any activities that you wouldn’t have even dared thought of doing then that you would now? i.e. Hoop at the park, eat outdoors/indoors, gyms, etc etc

Probably at an 8 now.

As of today, it's hard to believe and make sense of it all. At first, they were saying that masks are not effective. Don't bother. Then it was "this will all blow over in a couple of weeks." The whole origin of the virus, the reported numbers of infected, it goes on and on. The media loves to stir the pot. People will believe anything. Co-workers who say they're taking the virus seriously, but have been going on trips, attending parties, etc. I haven't done anything but essential tasks. If I don't need to go out, I just sit my behind at home.

Going to the grocery store was scary at first. I believe I was psyching myself into thinking I caught something the first few weeks of all this. I still won't be going to the gym, dine at a restaurant or attend church anytime soon.

I've been keeping loose tabs of what's going on with rona here and abroad.

Of course, things can change but what I'm hearing about rona lately is that there's spikes in cases all over the world, mainly driven by kids going back to school, but hospitalizations appear to still be stable.

There are multiple strains of rona, always has been. Just wondering if the strains that's multiplying fastest are the weaker strains. It'd explain why there's a jump in cases but not hospitalizations.

As for my fear of rona, it's kinda on the lower side now, but it's mainly due to how well NY has been dealing with rona compared to the other states. I've been impressed.

I wonder how long new york will be able to keep it up. At any rate, hospitals that have been hit hard by covid in the spring have been canvassed staff for covid reassignments for weeks now... So NY hospitals are ready if there's another wave coming.

The last time I read about the covid strains, there was 8 (that ppl knew of). The ones on the east coast are strains that can be traced to Europe. There were fewer strains (compared to the east) on the west and they were more closely related to the og strain from Wuhan. It'd be cool to read an updated breakdown of the strains that exist right now.

Last edited:
I've been keeping loose tabs of what's going on with rona here and abroad.

Of course, things can change but what I'm hearing about rona lately is that there's spikes in cases all over the world, mainly driven by kids going back to school, but hospitalizations appear to still be stable.

There are multiple strains of rona, always has been. Just wondering if the strains that's multiplying fastest are the weaker strains. It'd explain why there's a jump in cases but not hospitalizations.

As for my fear of rona, it's kinda on the lower side now, but it's mainly due to how well NY has been dealing with rona compared to the other states. I've been impressed.

I wonder how long new york will be able to keep it up. At any rate, hospitals that have been hit hard by covid in the spring have been canvassed staff for covid reassignments for weeks now... So NY hospitals are ready if there's another wave coming.

The last time I read about the covid strains, there was 8 (that ppl knew of). The ones on the east coast are strains that can be traced to Europe. There were fewer strains (compared to the east) on the west and they were more closely related to the og strain from Wuhan. It'd be cool to read an updated breakdown of the strains that exist right now.

sound like u talkin bout some loud fam 😂

I was at an 8 or 9 back in March. Quarantining mail and packages. Washing and changing after grocery trips. Not letting my family out the house for 3,4 months straight. Not going out except for food. Buying emergency food to eat and barter if things really got crazy in society.

Now im at a 3. I respect it, i know its out their and it could kill but Im just not fearful like that no more. I know its really effects people with preexisting conditions more that your average healthy folk. So I move cautiously to not catch and spread it, but im not stressed out about it. My mom in law, gma in law and a bunch others got it. Really nasty stuff, but fortunately they all bounced back.

I door all regular outdoor activities, ball, running, etc. I wont get on a plane tho if i can avoid it. I cancelled out of state trips to reassess next yr. And i wont do anything indoors with a hundred or more people besides grocery shopping.

At this point tho I still think everyone has gotten it, has it or is gonna get it.

March-June I was probably an 8-9, now more like 5-6 as more information has come out and I've heard from people IRL who have had it and what their experiences were. I feel pretty comfortable going anywhere around town running regular errands, but I'm still being cautious and avoiding unnecessary exposure by limiting the number of grocery store trips and picking up to go food (maybe 1-2 times per week). It definitely helps that nearly everyone in my area is wearing masks because I panic a little when I come across someone without a mask indoors. We've had a few cases at work, but none of the indoor office staff, thankfully. The only thing I'm considering doing that I wouldn't have previously is taking an overnight trip to the coast with my family. My wife and kids have essentially not left the house since March, other than to sit in the car while I run a few quick errands or pick up takeout. I can tell my wife is starting to go stir crazy now that school has started and she's in charge of homeschooling the kids every day. She talks about wanting to get out of the house, but I tell her it aint the same as before when you could just browse the aisles in stores at your leisure.

There's a dude I subscribe to on YouTube who says south FL is back to normal and nobody is wearing masks. Based on my experience and what I see on the news that's hard to believe, but Floridaman is a mofo.

I was at a 8-9 and still currently at a 7-8. Even though my in-laws and brother-in-law have become super relaxed towards COVID, my wife and I are still being cautious. We're doing our part in ensuring our kids don't get sick and spread the chance of getting someone else sick. Celebrated our wedding anniversary by having lunch this weekend and that was refreshing (minus the heat in SF) but still being cautious and avoiding large crowds and meeting up with friends.

I’m still scared of this ****

I’m not letting my guard down for anyone I come across still Maneuvering my way around people as much as I can in nyc

even though I took the subway a few times in the past weeks

Because once schools pre k to 12th grade start in nyc I’m going to stay indoors more often
I don’t trust them damn kids or adults for that matter

Last edited:
I never did, but some of you guys can probably chill on sanitizing your groceries...

good to know, but I still like the idea of washing my produce and stuff as soon as I get them. That way if I'm too lazy later I can eat them without having to worry about cleaning them.

I definitely ruined a box of tide pods and may have introduced water to a bag of flour.... so yeah, I'm not going to wash those sorts of things anymore.

I never did, but some of you guys can probably chill on sanitizing your groceries...

Good to know.

I've been dialing it back a bit and lately I've been thinking, it probably serves more to soothe myself, rather than decrease any actual risk. Depending on the packaging and how or when it's used, I still sanitize some things, but it feels more like appropriate kitchen hygiene, than pandemic prep. Mostly keep up with the local numbers and avoid worrying too much about anything else. Have to focus on my own sanity and that seems to work. Big shout out to the NT-pandemic team, when **** hit the fan in March, it you had been keeping up with this thread, you were forewarned more than most.

I'm still at a 7.5 or so. My wife & I still have our groceries picked up curbside. If we need to go into a store (Aldi or Costco) we go off hours. Usually late at night when there are very few people there or in the case of Costco, I can get in at 9 am vs 10 as I'm high risk due to being a transplant patient. We don't go out with friends, though we do go for walks together with plenty of space between anyone we pass in our development. Though on the paved trail, we wear masks.

So for the most part, we're still very careful. We won't eat in restaurants, only get takeout. I stopped playing competitive basketball due to all my health issues (Crohn's) but would shoot by myself at a park. I've already gone to an empty tennis court and hit with my ball machine. Perfect social distancing sport right there. And the one thing we do do, is a routine Cars & Coffee Saturday mornings. We wear masks & sit in fold up chairs behind her car. Keeping distance with people. But safety is first as I don't want this as it would seriously mess me up.

Last edited:
Florida public school teacher here. In March/April I was a 9. Only left the house about once a week from March through May, to either make a grocery run or hit up Home Depot. Would immediately shower and wash clothes upon returning home. Mail and packages “dry aged” in the garage before coming in. My two kids (1 & 3) did not leave the house except to play in the yard.

Now, probably a 3. First big event was working our high school graduation in late July. First time I had seen that many people in a long time. Thought it was insane. No one got sick and cases steadily went down in our community. Went back to work about a month ago. Felt weird being in a room with other people for the first few days. Students returned two weeks ago. We all wear masks and use tons of hand sanitizer. My daughters are back in daycare and have been for a month. No one has gotten sick. We still do common sense things, like wear masks and avoid indoor gatherings and restaurants. Fear level has definitely dropped way down.

Not really a surprise here. Probably just a random event that coincided with the vaccine trial. But such things need to be investigated. The anti-vaxxer MAGAs must have really confused emotions right now.

from this

to this

clown

This is a great point (tweet and link to WSJ story below).

Money-hungry colleges, in an attempt to save their tuition cash stream and to justify having college football seasons, came up with half-assed plans to reopen campus with inadequate testing in place and a healthy dose of wishful thinking (expectations that students would self-report symptoms, stay away from parties, and isolate for 14 days if sick).

Now, even worse, after mixing together students and generating thousands of new cases, they are sending these infected kids home to spread the virus to their parents and their local communities.

lol. this didn't age well:

cap1.png

cap2.png

wwdeaths.png

(USA is at 194,000 deaths now)

we really are about to hit 200k deaths shortly

and no end in sight
yup we'll hit 200k in 2 weeks.

it's estimated that 50 million Americans have been infected. that's already 15% of all Americans. if 60% need to get infected to get to herd immunity, that puts us at another 600k deaths. of course, treatments have improved, so it might be more like 300k-400k additional deaths.

Im at like a 3-4 now. I’ll do anything except anything indoors with a ton of people hanging out, etc. Still iffy on eating outdoors with hella people though also, or play ball with strangers. Everything else im cool with, just mask up and shower when I get home.

Back
Top Bottom