Hide Ya Wives, Hide Ya Kids: Worldwide Coronavirus Pandemic!

Are You Getting The Covid Vaccine?

• Yes

• No

• Only if mandatory

• Not if mandatory

• Undecided

Results are only viewable after voting.
We don’t need pfeizer shills trying to take moderna shots from day 1 moderna supporters. Take your talents elsewhere, we don’t want you.
Keep talking, b.

You better hope during the next Covid wave, those Moderna induced antibodies don't start acting up like they are Ben Simmons

Last edited:
With most states dropping mask mandates (and other restrictions) and lots of school following suit but sometimes without giving clear reasons why, I was thinking about it, and it likely comes down to the following 3 (everybody got omicron, boosted people are doing well still, and fatigue):

1) With how fast and widely omicron spread, it bit into some of the rationale for universal masking, given the main purpose of masks are to limit spread. It also bit into the rationale for restrictions, since 30-40% of the population got covid over a month. Even the most careful people like epidemiologists who had avoided restaurants and planes got omicron.

2) The IFR is approaching that of seasonal flu, especially if you're vaxxed. Despite covid mutating heavily into delta and omicron, boosted people fared remarkably well. This undercuts a lot of the "what about new variants" arguments, although yes, the space of possible mutations is nearly infinite and anything is possible (and it's also possible we get a completely new, unrelated virus that is more deadly, but that could happen in 3 months or in 100 years).

3) People are a bit fatigued -- it's been two years now. I'm not talking about anti-maskers and anti-vaxxers even. I'll much more happily put a mask back on if we get another surge this fall rather than wear a mask continuously for the next year regardless of whether cases are at 10/100k (as they are now in NYC) or 500/100k (as they were 2 months ago). I know people criticized the removal of the mask mandate last summer (which lasted 2 months), but I was ok with it, and I'm ok with it now. Transmission has tended to be lowest in the spring and much of the summer, so if there's any time to do it, it's now.

Caveats: these statement apply generally. There are specific cases where these may not be good rationale, and this may end up backfiring. But I'm just trying to understand the logic from many people in leadership positions who have been pretty conservative w.r.t. covid and suddenly, at least at first blush, appear to be changing course.

Principal at my kids' school just informed teachers this morning that students who refuse to wear masks can stay in class. So I guess this means that rules are only a suggestion now? Considering that every wave has been bigger than the one before it, I simply don't understand the misconception that somehow the pandemic is over, or even on it's way out. Makes no damn sense.
Schools saying they “can’t enforce” the mask policy is hilarious to me like they don’t suspend girls for dresses/skirts that are too short, or boys for hats, sagging pants, being out of uniform. Hell, I remember people getting sent home for wearing certain colors too often because it looked “gang related”.

But masks during a pandemic are the one thing they can’t enforce? :emoji_rolling_eyes:

Announcement incoming by CDC today to loosen mask wearing mandates. Some states like Oregon have moved up the date to end indoor mask mandates for most settings. I'd say this becomes a trend for the other states that still have mandates in place.

https://www.nytimes.com/live/2022/02/25/world/covid-19-tests-cases-vaccine

Scheduled my 4th dose for next week at one of Penn's locations. It's been 6 months since my booster dose. Just need a note from the team saying why I am eligible for the 4th dose. I'll mention how I feel after I get it.

Also of note. Asked my GI doctor during my appointment if he's tired of wearing his mask all day. He says it's okay but by the end of the day he's glad he can take it off. He said that the percentage of infection of Omicron on the Penn Campus, 8 weeks ago (end of December early January) was 50%. This is a mix of students randomly picked and those who volunteered for testing. He said now it's under 1% so he sees it's going away. But even with this, to get the 4th dose and keep doing what I am doing. Just thought I'd share that little bit of info.

haven't kept up too much on this with all that's going on in Ukraine but this thread gave a good summary of the new CDC guidelines. it actually looks fairly reasonable and I think is what most people have been wanting, an evidence based approach to covid guidelines:

haven't kept up too much on this with all that's going on in Ukraine but this thread gave a good summary of the new CDC guidelines. it actually looks fairly reasonable and I think is what most people have been wanting, an evidence based approach to covid guidelines:

I understand that CDC’s role is to issue guidelines that allow state and county health departments to set policies and these do seem like reasonable metrics for the period we’re in, but I definitely worry that most governors have already made blanket decisions for all counties without considering local circumstances and they aren’t going to look back now. For example, CA has a 4% test positivity rate, but my county is still at 11% and the masks are off. I’m afraid the ship has sailed and CDC was too late to change its course.

Anyone experience chest congestion or deeper snoring post-Covid? I had minor issues dealing with COVID about a month ago (slightly agitated throat) but I can't seem to cough anything up (even after taking Mucinex). I constantly feel like I need to clear my throat. And I used to only be a sleeping-on-my-back snorer but my wife saying I snore no matter what position I'm in now.

I dont think masking really made any difference, I'm glad they're starting to go. I was always ready to get vaxxed though. I think me grabbing an extra flu shot before the vaccine was around was the reason me or my wife never contracted covid.

Interested to see how many ppl remove them in my area. Didn't seem like there was a huge drop off last year

Just saw CA school mask mandate also ends 3/12. I was really hoping it would only be for vaccinated students to put pressure on misinformed parents. I don't understand the logic of removing the one thin layer of protection we have left in schools.

Those stupid parents still putting a ton of pressure on school boards and local officials. Talking about how it hurts their babies and destroying little Brayden’s soul.

“FoLLoW tHe SCiEnCe” basically they dgaf about being careful they’re done and by extension their kids are done.

Back
Top Bottom