Hide Ya Wives, Hide Ya Kids: Worldwide Coronavirus Pandemic!

Are You Getting The Covid Vaccine?

• Yes

• No

• Only if mandatory

• Not if mandatory

• Undecided

Results are only viewable after voting.
Kathleen (she/ella/elle)😷 ↔️📚🤨🍫😺 @K_M_C95 🧵 The idea that the pandemic is over is obviously a load of hot garbage, but at least we’re in a much better place than we were a year ago, right? Wrong. Let’s compare September 2021 (SY21-22) to September 2022 (SY22-23) in DC Public Schools -

Going to get that new Moderna Omicron vaccine tonight 🔥

Screen Shot 2022-09-20 at 8.47.42 PM.png

I think Biden should not have said the pandemic is over

I think people are generally overreacting to him saying it

Hasan comparing him to Trump in handling the pandemic, and justifying Republicans' partisanship because of the comments, is bad faith ridiculousness

As Hasan said, I wouldn't have accepted it from the other guy and won't accept it from Biden either. The blowback is justified, IMHO. All he needed to say is that while the situation is improving, the administration is doing their best to ensure that all Americans have access to the latest vaccines and treatments, along with continued investments in future treatments for those suffering from long COVID (that CDC estimates affects ~20% of those who are infected), but that Republicans are blocking funding to make this a reality going forward. Instead, he essentially agreed that no further government funding or action is necessary.

As Hasan said, I wouldn't have accepted it from the other guy and won't accept it from Biden either. The blowback is justified, IMHO. All he needed to say is that while the situation is improving, the administration is doing their best to ensure that all Americans have access to the latest vaccines and treatments, along with continued investments in future treatments for those suffering from long COVID (that CDC estimates affects ~20% of those who are infected), but that Republicans are blocking funding to make this a reality going forward. Instead, he essentially agreed that no further government funding or action is necessary.
Dude, if Trump took Covid as seriously as Biden has, but had a couple of bad sound bites, people would be generally fine with that. It would be a massive improvement over what we generally got from the dude. Like Trump was another level. Comparing Biden to him requires handwaving a bunch of behavior and context.

The issue people had with Trump was not just a bad sound bite. Hasan knows is, and he ignores it to make his point. Biden elected to do a better job and take things more seriously, on aggregate, he has done that.

Furthermore, the big issue is was Trump's constant and continued rhetoric dismissing Covid polarized the issue and affected the behavior of large swarms of people.

Biden's sound bit doesn't do the same thing. As much as some folk wants to pretend it will, large swarms of people are not changing their behavior over this comment. If that were true, then his saying the opposite would also be true. But I find it hard to believe that if Biden said the pandemic is not over, people would start masking more and booster rates would noticeably increase

Biden didn't make an executive decree that the pandemic is over and nothing else needs to be done. In the same interview where he says it is over (after being asked that question directly he says Coivd is still a problem that needs to be dealt with. Pointing to people's behavior at the car show as an example of things being different

It is almost an issue of semantics. Even if someone wanted to give Biden the most uncharitable read on his comment, but he didn't essentially agree that no further government funding or action is necessary. He just requested again billions in funding to keep fighting Covid recently with the Federal Budget. It is weird to ask someone to ignore stuff like that to make 10 seconds of an over 20 mins segment of Joe Biden's total stance on covid.

I think people are upset that Biden said something they disagree with, cool, but I think folk throwing too much sauce on it. Like Hasan is pointing to the bad behavior of Republicans and somehow trying to backdoor blame Biden for that. It makes no sense. It is clearly a bad faith argument.

It is fair to not like what Biden said, I didn't, but a sound bite like that, in the context he said it, doesn't need all this pearl-clutching some people are doing. Republicans are doing enough for everyone.

Dude, if Trump took Covid as seriously as Biden has, but had a couple of bad sound bites, people would be generally fine with that. It would be a massive improvement over what we generally got from the dude. Like Trump was another level. Comparing Biden to him requires handwaving a bunch of behavior and context.

The issue people had with Trump was not just a bad sound bite. Hasan knows is, and he ignores it to make his point. Biden elected to do a better job and take things more seriously, on aggregate, he has done that.

Furthermore, the big issue is was Trump's constant and continued rhetoric dismissing Covid polarized the issue and affected the behavior of large swarms of people.

Biden's sound bit doesn't do the same thing. As much as some folk wants to pretend it will, large swarms of people are not changing their behavior over this comment. If that were true, then his saying the opposite would also be true. But I find it hard to believe that if Biden said the pandemic is not over, people would start masking more and booster rates would noticeably increase

Biden didn't make an executive decree that the pandemic is over and nothing else needs to be done. In the same interview where he says it is over (after being asked that question directly he says Coivd is still a problem that needs to be dealt with. Pointing to people's behavior at the car show as an example of things being different

It is almost an issue of semantics. Even if someone wanted to give Biden the most uncharitable read on his comment, but he didn't essentially agree that no further government funding or action is necessary. He just requested again billions in funding to keep fighting Covid recently with the Federal Budget. It is weird to ask someone to ignore stuff like that to make 10 seconds of an over 20 mins segment of Joe Biden's total stance on covid.

I think people are upset that Biden said something they disagree with, cool, but I think folk throwing too much sauce on it. Like Hasan is pointing to the bad behavior of Republicans and somehow trying to backdoor blame Biden for that. It makes no sense. It is clearly a bad faith argument.

It is fair to not like what Biden said, I didn't, but a sound bite like that, in the context he said it, doesn't need all this pearl-clutching some people are doing. Republicans are doing enough for everyone.

You should be the press secretary. It's not that I disagree with anything you're saying. It was just a really bonehead statement to make when the pandemic is CLEARLY not over. The administration has some major wins lately and this statement has really pissed off those of us who know he's obviously trying to paint a rosy picture going into the midterms. If there's one thing the government (WH, CDC, HHS, etc) hasn't done a good job at, it's been delivering clear consistent messaging about the reality of the COVID pandemic, and this is only the latest misstep.

You should be the press secretary. It's not that I disagree with anything you're saying. It was just a really bonehead statement to make when the pandemic is CLEARLY not over. The administration has some major wins lately and this statement has really pissed off those of us who know he's obviously trying to paint a rosy picture going into the midterms. If there's one thing the government (WH, CDC, HHS, etc) hasn't done a good job at, it's been delivering clear consistent messaging about the reality of the COVID pandemic, and this is only the latest misstep.
Fair enough

It was a comment I felt was silly, and he shouldn't have said. He should have at least articulated his point better

But I just think people are overstating to consequences of him saying that. And just playing into the hands of the real bad actors out there

Fair enough

It was a comment I felt was silly, and he shouldn't have said. He should have at least articulated his point better

But I just think people are overstating to consequences of him saying that. And just playing into the hands of the real bad actors out there

Has he or anyone from the administration tried walking back his statement to clarify what he actually meant?

Fair enough

Biden’s handling of the pandemic is significantly better than Trump.

Saying the pandemic is over is not accurate

No matter what Biden says, most people aren’t going to change their behavior.

All things can be true :lol:

Has he or anyone from the administration tried walking back his statement to clarify what he actually meant?
A few

Fauci is not the only administration official who has walked back the president’s remarks, which came just a few days after Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus, the head of the World Health Organization, said, “We are not there yet, but the end is in sight.” According to Politico, Biden’s remarks caught senior administration health officials off guard, and indeed, in the following days, the White House clarified that the president was referring to public sentiment, not epidemiological reality. “The president,” Health and Human Services Secretary Xavier Becerra told Yahoo Finance, “was reflecting what so many Americans are thinking and feeling.” (In today’s interview, Fauci built on Ghebreyesus’s sentiment with a trademark Fauci-ism: Easing up on our efforts to fight the pandemic now, he said, would be like saying, “Just because I see what the finish line is, I’m gonna stop and get a hot dog. No, you don’t want to do that.”)

But the president on 60 minutes is gonna get more attention than comments to the political press during the week.

My 19yo is the only one in our immediate family who hasn't had Covid yet - but his friend wasn't feeling great at the weekend and now he doesn't - and he's tested positive. He's at college and even being careful it was always going to be difficult to avoid.

Looks like I'm going to have to go and get him after work - he's a few hours away but we can't leave him stuck in his dorm room.

The only positive is my parents are on vacation - they are only a few miles away so he can go and stay in their house rather than being stuck with the rest of us.

2022-09-30 13.58.06.jpg

Trying out my fit-tested mask at work this afternoon - felt weird at first but you get used to it. It's great not fogging up my microscope though - surgical masks obviously just force the air out the sides a lot and that is a nuisance.

I think my face is going to be a mess when I take it off though - like those folks you saw early in the pandemic after wearing PPE all day. No stress on my ears though because the straps go over your head so that is nice.

2022-09-30 13.58.06.jpg

Trying out my fit-tested mask at work this afternoon - felt weird at first but you get used to it. It's great not fogging up my microscope though - surgical masks obviously just force the air out the sides a lot and that is a nuisance.

I think my face is going to be a mess when I take it off though - like those folks you saw early in the pandemic after wearing PPE all day. No stress on my ears though because the straps go over your head so that is nice.
Surprised there's an exhalation valve. Do you have to cover or disable it?

Surprised there's an exhalation valve. Do you have to cover or disable it?

So was I - they make this one without one. There is a filter in the valve - just designed to protect the wearer to a higher level than the people around them (who are just wearing a cloth mask or surgical mask at best). Don't really know the rationale behind it but it makes it easier to keep on. I managed 4 hours without significant discomfort.

I’m going to be wearing a mask for 4 hours of work, and hoping the 3M Aura N95 will still be the ticket, as it fits the bill when I’m inside any establishment(groceries, errands, shopping)

Back
Top Bottom