Hide Ya Wives, Hide Ya Kids: Worldwide Coronavirus Pandemic!

Are You Getting The Covid Vaccine?

• Yes

• No

• Only if mandatory

• Not if mandatory

• Undecided

Results are only viewable after voting.
don't believe the hype when you see these "let's get back to work" protest from these yahoos.
it's a small group of people who are being directed and funded from the top.
nevermind what you see on the news or twitter. their numbers are irrelevant and the press gives them too much attention. they're not the majority. we are

93380963_10158389878178586_456869754473283584_n.jpg

It is a ****ing joke. What $9 million going to do for Harvard? Give them a cool billion or don't bother, Uncle Sam.

I won't defend multi-billion institutions receiving federal aid, which, as I understand it, is the point of critique in those tweets. But here's a bit of context about the endowment.

The Columbia Spectator published a detailed comparative account of the endowments of these Ivy league institutions. Cash-on-hand made up Just 2% of Columbia's $10 billion. Income from fixed and real assets made up 3% and 18%, respectively. Put simply, the endowment of these multi-billion dollar institutions is not liquid, and there are all kinds of restrictions, be they measured in terms of penalties or law, informal or formal. For instance, Columbia spends the "returns on its investments, an amount that constitutes around 5 percent of the total endowment value." (https://www.columbiaspectator.com/n...mbia-braces-for-widespread-financial-fallout/)

What the bailout--lets keep 100--really does is plug the expected shortfalls in revenue from tuition and clinical procedures and medical faculty practice. So Columbia may charge $71K for tuition, but it's going to see less and and less of that money from increasing numbers of students. This is because already we're seeing students withdraw (effectively taking their pledged tuition dollars back), demand tuition rebates and even launch class action lawsuits against schools like Drexel and Miami Universities claiming breach of contract (https://www.insidehighered.com/news...le-class-action-seeking-tuition-reimbursement).

In a sense the endowments of these institutions are premised on big bets: continued returns on specific financial investments, continued support of the 1%, state and local government support, and the willingness of rich undergraduate and masters students, both domestic and international, to float these Universities. There are grave concerns about each of these revenue sources. Hence, the federal bailout.

Again, I'm not defending the act or the idea of taxpayer dollars redistributed to tax-exempt, multi-billion institutions at a time when working-class Americans are being pummeled (peep the breadlines in cities around the country: https://www.bloomberg.com/news/arti...read-lines-are-forming-in-mar-a-lago-s-shadow).

But the endowment is not what it seems. Or $40 billion is not what it seems.

I knew all this aid was shady. 1400 pages up and ready within 10 days. They were ready.
I'm seeing some of the aid Florida was giving to their 'small' businesses. Some of them for multiple loans for non essential hotels. Yet small time mom and pops got left out to dry

Many received multiple rounds of aid for multiple locations. Meanwhile some got NOTHING.

Its crazy out there. America will never change.

I won't defend multi-billion institutions receiving federal aid, which, as I understand it, is the point of critique in those tweets. But here's a bit of context about the endowment.

The Columbia Spectator published a detailed comparative account of the endowments of these Ivy league institutions. Cash-on-hand made up Just 2% of Columbia's $10 billion. Income from fixed and real assets made up 3% and 18%, respectively. Put simply, the endowment of these multi-billion dollar institutions is not liquid, and there are all kinds of restrictions, be they measured in terms of penalties or law, informal or formal. For instance, Columbia spends the "returns on its investments, an amount that constitutes around 5 percent of the total endowment value." (https://www.columbiaspectator.com/n...mbia-braces-for-widespread-financial-fallout/)

What the bailout--lets keep 100--really does is plug the expected shortfalls in revenue from tuition and clinical procedures and medical faculty practice. So Columbia may charge $71K for tuition, but it's going to see less and and less of that money from increasing numbers of students. This is because already we're seeing students withdraw (effectively taking their pledged tuition dollars back), demand tuition rebates and even launch class action lawsuits against schools like Drexel and Miami Universities claiming breach of contract (https://www.insidehighered.com/news...le-class-action-seeking-tuition-reimbursement).

In a sense the endowments of these institutions are premised on big bets: continued returns on specific financial investments, continued support of the 1%, state and local government support, and the willingness of rich undergraduate and masters students, both domestic and international, to float these Universities. There are grave concerns about each of these revenue sources. Hence, the federal bailout.

Again, I'm not defending the act or the idea of taxpayer dollars redistributed to tax-exempt, multi-billion institutions at a time when working-class Americans are being pummeled (peep the breadlines in cities around the country: https://www.bloomberg.com/news/arti...read-lines-are-forming-in-mar-a-lago-s-shadow).

But the endowment is not what it seems. Or $40 billion is not what it seems.
My post was two in one, both a critique of Harvard needing aid but also a critique of them only getting $9 million.

You make good points and I'm honestly of two minds in these situations. Just because an individual or institution is dealing with more commas in their daily expense sheet than the average American, it doesn't mean this isn't hitting them just as hard. If their gains normally have extra zeros, so do their losses.

This gets to the core hypocrisy of the capitalism in this country, that when dealing with few zeros in one's checkbook we are unwilling to help out but when there's more zeros we are. I personally think we need to help both out, but that also means we need to tax the rich during the good times so that in the bad times we can keep everyone afloat.

Not saying this is right, but there's no way Harvard isn't getting some covid aid. Lots of powerful ppl have graduated from Harvard

It is what it is.

My post was two in one, both a critique of Harvard needing aid but also a critique of them only getting $9 million.

You make good points and I'm honestly of two minds in these situations. Just because an individual or institution is dealing with more commas in their daily expense sheet than the average American, it doesn't mean this isn't hitting them just as hard. If their gains normally have extra zeros, so do their losses.

This gets to the core hypocrisy of the capitalism in this country, that when dealing with few zeros in one's checkbook we are unwilling to help out but when there's more zeros we are. I personally think we need to help both out, but that also means we need to tax the rich during the good times so that in the bad times we can keep everyone afloat.

"This gets to the core hypocrisy of the capitalism..." One more time for the people in the back!

Back
Top Bottom