Hipsters Unappreciation

Originally Posted by mstrpln

let's all poke fun at a subculture to make ourselves feel better!

10misshapes_mask.jpg

Calling it a subculture is giving it entirely too much credence.

let's all poke fun at a subculture to make ourselves feel better!
it dont make me feel better...my self esteem is A OKAY! ...i jus get annoyed by these guys, and the attitudes they have. like in chicago, most ofthem live in lincoln park...which coincidentally one of the highest property taxes neighborhoods in chicago
laugh.gif

While there are definitely hipsters in Lincoln Park, the Chicago home of the hipster is without doubt Wicker Park/Bucktown followed in 2nd place by the SouthLoop.

I swear PBR costs more in Wicker Park/Bucktown than anywhere else in Chicago because stores there know hipsters will buy it anyways..

this is the truest post EVER. i used to work at american apparel. i felt like an outcast. not for listening to jay-z, because everyone knew the black album andthe singles. but because i understood what hell hes saying. and i dont rock shoes that look like i kicked poop in em.

Originally Posted by s0fie fatale

this is the truest post EVER. i used to work at american apparel. i felt like an outcast. not for listening to jay-z, because everyone knew the black album and the singles. but because i understood what hell hes saying. and i dont rock shoes that look like i kicked poop in em.

I have a few friends that have worked there. Did you have to go to a go see to get that job?
That's one of the things that always made me sick about American Apparel. Many perspective employees need to go to go sees to get jobs there.
smh.gif

^I think that's part of the problem... Everything is a #*@+#%* "scene" whatever that's suppose to mean. Why can't you just be you?Instead of some #*@+#%* archetype of the next man. That's whats so hilarious is that they all do the same $%%%. Roll their own cigarettes, drink PBR, wearthose scarfs, etc, etc... They're like carbon copies of each other. It's #*@+#%* absurd.

Originally Posted by ebayologist

^I think that's part of the problem... Everything is a #*@+#%* "scene" whatever that's suppose to mean. Why can't you just be you? Instead of some #*@+#%* archetype of the next man. That's whats so hilarious is that they all do the same $%%%. Roll their own cigarettes, drink PBR, wear those scarfs, etc, etc... They're like carbon copies of each other. It's #*@+#%* absurd.

Yeah, they're the same as squatter punks. You're not really rebelling against the mainstream if you're wearing the combat boots, skin tightblack pants covered with band patches, butt flap with a large band patch on it, a studded leather jacket with Leftover Crack lyrics painted on, and a rippedDead Kennedy's shirt uniform they all wear.

Originally Posted by NYelectric

^I think that's part of the problem... Everything is a #*@+#%* "scene" whatever that's suppose to mean. Why can't you just be you? Instead of some #*@+#%* archetype of the next man. That's whats so hilarious is that they all do the same $%%%. Roll their own cigarettes, drink PBR, wear those scarfs, etc, etc... They're like carbon copies of each other. It's #*@+#%* absurd.

Yeah, they're the same as squatter punks. You're not really rebelling against the mainstream if you're wearing the combat boots, skin tight black pants covered with band patches, butt flap with a large band patch on it, a studded leather jacket with Leftover Crack lyrics painted on, and a ripped Dead Kennedy's shirt uniform they all wear.

Why? The "mainstream" doesn't wear those items. They all identify with a certain cause and have similar tastes in clothes/music/politics,etc. What gives us the authority to critique who the posers are in each group when the majority of us only see these "scenesters" in passing?

Originally Posted by koolbarbone

Yeah, they're the same as squatter punks. You're not really rebelling against the mainstream if you're wearing the combat boots, skin tight black pants covered with band patches, butt flap with a large band patch on it, a studded leather jacket with Leftover Crack lyrics painted on, and a ripped Dead Kennedy's shirt uniform they all wear.

Why? The "mainstream" doesn't wear those items. They all identify with a certain cause and have similar tastes in clothes/music/politics, etc. What gives us the authority to critique who the posers are in each group when the majority of us only see these "scenesters" in passing?

It doesn't matter if the mainstream wears things like that. It's a uniform. It has nothing to do with being a poser. I just always thought it wasfunny that in an effort to look so radically different many of them look the same.

Why? The "mainstream" doesn't wear those items. They all identify with a certain cause and have similar tastes in clothes/music/politics, etc. What gives us the authority to critique who the posers are in each group when the majority of us only see these "scenesters" in passing?
what cause is that?

this is the truest post EVER. i used to work at american apparel. i felt like an outcast. not for listening to jay-z, because everyone knew the black album and the singles. but because i understood what hell hes saying. and i dont rock shoes that look like i kicked poop in em.

I have a few friends that have worked there. Did you have to go to a go see to get that job?
That's one of the things that always made me sick about American Apparel. Many perspective employees need to go to go sees to get jobs there.
smh.gif

i did. and i got hired for stock. which is funny because that very same day the ceo booked me for a photoshoot. he was baffled. i didnt mind though i movedup rather quickly and got a raise every 3 months. true i did more work but i also had a lot more respect. the hiring managers that were hiring were very racistand the stores were very homogenized, they were booted and sent to stores in the midwest to fix up. now there are new hiring managers and the stores are alittle more mixed. stores that promote a sexy image are like that. same goes for abercrombie.

It doesn't matter if the mainstream wears things like that. It's a uniform. It has nothing to do with being a poser. I just always thought it was funny that in an effort to look so radically different many of them look the same.

They don't care about looking radically different from people they identify with, they care about being radically different from the average person.

smh.gif

i did. and i got hired for stock. which is funny because that very same day the ceo booked me for a photoshoot. he was baffled. i didnt mind thought i moved up rather quickly and got a raise every 3 months. true i did more work but i also had a lot more respect. the hiring managera that were hiring were very racist and the stores were very homogenized. now there are new hiring managers and the stores are a little more mixed. stores that promote a sexy image are like that. same goes for abercrombie.

Yeah, I know a lot of stores do it, but it just seems so ridiculous that it's too big of a job to be left to the store managers. And yes, I'veheard some stories about Dov Charney.

i have heard some crazy things about american apparel too. not the type of place i would wanna work or associate with.

They don't care about looking radically different from people they identify with, they care about being radically different from the average person.
Yeah, I know. That's an important cause.
It's still a uniform.
Look, many kids I grew up with are now those squatter punks. I used to go to those shows, I used to go to those parties, I know what they're like.
I'm not trying to discount your opinion. I'm just saying it's not like I've only "seen them in passing."

What "cause" would that be?
laugh.gif
And I'm not critiquing anyoneI making fun of the irony of hipsters and their clothing, actions, etc. and that every hipster is essentially just following an archetype in their effort to bedifferent from the "mainstream". It's like that hypebeast archetype drawing there could be hipster one just as easy. And I don't just seethem in passing, I go to art school, they make up a signifcant percentage of the populous. So it's ironic they try to have this unique look yet are allessentially the same... It's absurdly humorus to see dozens of them all virtually the same while trying so hard to be "different".

Back
Top Bottom