Home Buying & Real Estate Thread

Just sold my last rental property yesterday.

Now I’m down to just my principle residence.

Feels good and bad man.

Not sure what the point of the sale was. we made a lot of money on the sale and we don’t really need it for anything.

We were making about $400 positive on the property monthly.
But it felt like time to divest out of real estate.

Not sure what to do with the money.

Just sold my last rental property yesterday.

Now I’m down to just my principle residence.

Feels good and bad man.

Not sure what the point of the sale was. we made a lot of money on the sale and we don’t really need it for anything.

We were making about $400 positive on the property monthly.
But it felt like time to divest out of real estate.

Not sure what to do with the money.
I’m curious why you felt like divesting from real estate? Macro conditions? Diversify?

Can’t ever knock taking profits off and walking away from the table for a little while. As for what to do with the cash, it seems like a good problem to have right now.

Depending on the season of life you’re in, there may be certain “investments” you’ll prioritize. I was having this conversation with a buddy of mine who just liquidated a part of his real estate portfolio so he didn’t have as much risk and wanted the simplicity of a larger margin of safety. Now he’s got several years of rainy day cash to cover his expenses and recently decided to quit working for a little while to spend more time with his family since he had the assets to buy his time and chill for a few years while his kids grew up and his parents were running into health issues. So he’s “decumulating” and spending/investing in experiences for the next few years.

It was an eye opener for me since I’m still in the accumulation season of my life, but it definitely opened my eyes to what would be enough and when I’d like to loosen things up/make a change. It made me reflect on my priorities and think about accumulating, maintaining, and decumulating.

For those of you with second homes/vacation homes, how often do y’all use them and how far do you live from the place (driving and/or flying time)?

Appraisal just came in a few k lower than listing price, and 13k lower than contract price. Contract buyers wanted 15k concessions (down from 15k + new roof + other fixes).

Not sure how to proceed. Better to cut losses and sell for appraisal minus 15k, or terminate and relist to see if any other offers come in (but again, appraisal kind of confirmed value).

My agent also says she has someone looking to do a 1031. Any risks I need to be aware of as the seller in a situation like that?

Appraisal just came in a few k lower than listing price, and 13k lower than contract price. Contract buyers wanted 15k concessions (down from 15k + new roof + other fixes).

Not sure how to proceed. Better to cut losses and sell for appraisal minus 15k, or terminate and relist to see if any other offers come in (but again, appraisal kind of confirmed value).

My agent also says she has someone looking to do a 1031. Any risks I need to be aware of as the seller in a situation like that?
How to proceed is up to you and what you want. If you're eager to sell the place and want to be done with it, then pursue that, if you're in no rush and want the best deal, I'd probably pursue re-listing/1031 investor. The thing about 1031 is they're on a timeframe and need to complete the deal within that time frame otherwise they miss out on the massive tax break which could work to your advantage (they can't stall you and go back and forth)

For those of you with second homes/vacation homes, how often do y’all use them and how far do you live from the place (driving and/or flying time)?

I’m gonna build one in 5 years or so. It’s far though like a 10 hour drive.

so I’m kind of thinking just build a bad *** house and move there instead would probably make more sense because I don’t even particularly like my house or where I live now. I’m just here because work.

How much of a PITA is having a hot tub as far as maintenance and stuff goes? Just made on offer on a little place that has a deck which overlooks the Hudson River. Thinking of adding a hot tub. It’ll mainly be a second place that will get Airbnb’d a lot of the time.
Is it running, if it is I would have the current owner show you how it works and where everything is. My wife’s cousin bought a house with a high end hot tub but it did work and it took up space on the deck he tried for years to give it away, but you would need a crane to move it. He ended up cutting it up. It hurt because it was so nice!

I’m gonna build one in 5 years or so. It’s far though like a 10 hour drive.

so I’m kind of thinking just build a bad *** house and move there instead would probably make more sense because I don’t even particularly like my house or where I live now. I’m just here because work.

10 hours is a hike, I assume flying is much easier but if you eventually would move there that makes sense. :lol:

The place I’m looking at is a 3.5hr nonstop flight and then 2 hr drive or train ride from me. Or about a 5 hr one-stop flight to a closer airport and 1 hr drive. Tough decisions.

Yeah I could fly there real quick which I would probably do on the regular and just leave a car out there.

Why did they cut the drywall off and what was wrong with the stud? :rofl:

I’m not putting up a deck like I said but god damn that’s not a hard job.

I have a “beach house” an hour away. Bought it and renovated it last year. Used it during Christmas Break, used it during Spring Break, will use it in a couple of weeks and then again in July. We realized we were going on vacation to the beach a lot and spending a lot on rentals, so wanted to get one and set it up exactly how we wanted. We are trying to short term rent it when we aren’t there, but lady in neighborhood keeps trying to ruin that (see previous posts).

Considered buying one on the Gulf Coast (we are on the Atlantic), but wanted it to be more accessible. This made the renovation a lot easier too. Could run back and forth on a week night. Have a friend that bought one three hours from home and he has basically spent every weekend for the last six months running up there to meet contractors and stuff.

Want to eventually grab a lake house in rural Minnesota, but it will be a few years and I don’t think I would take on as much of a project.

I’m curious why you felt like divesting from real estate? Macro conditions? Diversify?

Can’t ever knock taking profits off and walking away from the table for a little while. As for what to do with the cash, it seems like a good problem to have right now.

Depending on the season of life you’re in, there may be certain “investments” you’ll prioritize. I was having this conversation with a buddy of mine who just liquidated a part of his real estate portfolio so he didn’t have as much risk and wanted the simplicity of a larger margin of safety. Now he’s got several years of rainy day cash to cover his expenses and recently decided to quit working for a little while to spend more time with his family since he had the assets to buy his time and chill for a few years while his kids grew up and his parents were running into health issues. So he’s “decumulating” and spending/investing in experiences for the next few years.

It was an eye opener for me since I’m still in the accumulation season of my life, but it definitely opened my eyes to what would be enough and when I’d like to loosen things up/make a change. It made me reflect on my priorities and think about accumulating, maintaining, and decumulating.

Interesting take on living life in seasons. I like that

I’m thinking of moving to Houston or maybe even San Diego. I live in the suburbs of Toronto Canada, (60 min drive from downtown Toronto) and the houses in my area are going for 1.8 million CAD. I barely have a backyard and I’m living in Minnesota-like weather conditions lol. On top of that my income tax is around 30%. Id make more money moving across the border. I have 500k left on my mortgage, and I’ll be able to sell my place for around 1.8.

CB6EE8FF-4BF6-4D3D-980D-D15F52F2C544.jpeg

I’m thinking of moving to Houston or maybe even San Diego. I live in the suburbs of Toronto Canada, (60 min drive from downtown Toronto) and the houses in my area are going for 1.8 million CAD. I barely have a backyard and I’m living in Minnesota-like weather conditions lol. On top of that my income tax is around 30%. Id make more money moving across the border. I have 500k left on my mortgage, and I’ll be able to sell my place for around 1.8.

My brother moved to Houston and wonders why I won't visit him. I'm never setting foot in Texas if I can help it.

Those are two quite contrasting cities lol
My brother moved to Houston and wonders why I won't visit him. I'm never setting foot in Texas if I can help it.
Yes, TEXAS SUXXXxxxSXXXX. Stay far away!!!11!!!!

Yea I’m also in a suburb of Toronto, home prices here are no joke.

Do you know what the process is for buying in the USA? I was thinking of buying in Florida something by the beach. Are there any other beach cities in America you guys recommend?

Back
Top Bottom