How long before MMA over takes boxing in the sports landscape?

Originally Posted by Bigmike23

Originally Posted by Demps

who sells more ppv, boxing or mma?

boxing

and that wack %!! heavyweight fight from saturday will proably do better numbers then UFC PPV event

boxing is dead? stop watching PTI and getting your facts from there

Why are you always mad?

Originally Posted by quik1987

WRONG.

There are new fights every 2 weeks because there are a lot of weight divisions, and relevant fighters in each division.

WBC
Heavyweight Champion - Vitali Wladimirovich Klitschko
Cruiserweight Champion - krzysztof Wlodarczyk
Lt. Heavyweight Champion - Bernard Hopkins
Supermiddleweight Champion - Carl Froch
Middleweight Champion - Julio Cesar Chavez Jr.
Superwelterweight Champion - Saul Alvarez

Which names here have PPV draw? All boxing has left is Pacman and Money Mayweather

these two are going to sell imo. Alvarez had 24 million viewers in Mexico alone http://www.boxingnews24.c...-mexico-for-rhodes-bout/
Chavez Jr had 1.5 million on premium cable,
ufc 131 prelims on basic cable got 1.6
but critics always say boxing is dying after the next mega fight

images

Originally Posted by quik1987

WRONG.

There are new fights every 2 weeks because there are a lot of weight divisions, and relevant fighters in each division.

WBC
Heavyweight Champion - Vitali Wladimirovich Klitschko
Cruiserweight Champion - krzysztof Wlodarczyk
Lt. Heavyweight Champion - Bernard Hopkins
Supermiddleweight Champion - Carl Froch
Middleweight Champion - Julio Cesar Chavez Jr.
Superwelterweight Champion - Saul Alvarez

Which names here have PPV draw? All boxing has left is Pacman and Money Mayweather

these two are going to sell imo. Alvarez had 24 million viewers in Mexico alone http://www.boxingnews24.c...-mexico-for-rhodes-bout/
Chavez Jr had 1.5 million on premium cable,
ufc 131 prelims on basic cable got 1.6
but critics always say boxing is dying after the next mega fight

images

Heavyweight
WBA - Wladimir Klitschko
WBC - Vitali Klitschko
IBF - Wladimir Klitschko
WBO - Wladimir Klitschko
The Ring - Wladimir Klitschko

Cruiserweight, Junior heavyweight
WBA - Guillermo Jones, Yoan Pablo Hernández (Interim champion)
WBC - Krzysztof Włodarczyk
IBF - Steve Cunningham
WBO - Marco Huck

Light heavyweight
WBA - Beibut Shumenov
WBC - Bernard Hopkins
IBF - Tavoris Cloud
WBO - Nathan Cleverly
The Ring - Bernard Hopkins

Super middleweight
WBA - Andre Ward, Dimitri Sartison
WBC - Carl Froch
IBF - Lucian Bute
WBO - Robert Stieglitz

Middleweight
WBA - Felix Sturm, Gennady Golovkin, Hassan N'Dam N'Jikam
WBC - Julio César Chávez Jr
IBF - Daniel Geale
WBO - Dmitry Pirog
The Ring - Sergio Gabriel Martínez

Super welterweight, Junior middleweight
WBA - Miguel

Heavyweight
WBA - Wladimir Klitschko
WBC - Vitali Klitschko
IBF - Wladimir Klitschko
WBO - Wladimir Klitschko
The Ring - Wladimir Klitschko

Cruiserweight, Junior heavyweight
WBA - Guillermo Jones, Yoan Pablo Hernández (Interim champion)
WBC - Krzysztof Włodarczyk
IBF - Steve Cunningham
WBO - Marco Huck

Light heavyweight
WBA - Beibut Shumenov
WBC - Bernard Hopkins
IBF - Tavoris Cloud
WBO - Nathan Cleverly
The Ring - Bernard Hopkins

Super middleweight
WBA - Andre Ward, Dimitri Sartison
WBC - Carl Froch
IBF - Lucian Bute
WBO - Robert Stieglitz

Middleweight
WBA - Felix Sturm, Gennady Golovkin, Hassan N'Dam N'Jikam
WBC - Julio César Chávez Jr
IBF - Daniel Geale
WBO - Dmitry Pirog
The Ring - Sergio Gabriel Martínez

Super welterweight, Junior middleweight
WBA - Miguel

mma is still a very young sport in america and boxing has been around for ever so of course boxing has more fans. wait ten years and we'll be talking about anderson silvia like we do mike tyson.

mma is still a very young sport in america and boxing has been around for ever so of course boxing has more fans. wait ten years and we'll be talking about anderson silvia like we do mike tyson.

Originally Posted by ludex360

Slow your roll.
laugh.gif

Originally Posted by ludex360

Slow your roll.
laugh.gif

To be honest, I think MMA has a long way to go before it takes over boxing. It's a misconception that MMA right now is bigger than boxing. When you look at ratings, payouts, etc you realize that not only is boxing bigger than MMA, but boxing still dwarfs MMA significantly. I mean, some boxing trainers make more money per fight than the biggest fighters in MMA. The best boxers make in 1 fight an amount that the best MMA fighter would need 3-4 lifetimes to make. The reason boxers are able to earn much more is due to higher ratings, more money bet, etc etc which goes back to boxing being more popular.

All that being said, MMA's rise over the last 2 decades has been astronomical and it's hard not to see it surpass boxing IF it continues growing at this current rate. Unfortunately though, I do not see MMA ever catching boxing in terms of history but it is quickly becoming more acceptable to the masses and perhaps in the near future it starts drawing attention comparable to boxing. The one thing though is I cant see MMA fighters making $20+ million per fight anytime soon, maybe not even in this lifetime. The biggest obstacle to that is that the best fighters are tied to contracts with the biggest organization in the sport (UFC) and so they are forced to sign reduced salaries while the UFC get to pocket much of the money.

To be honest, I think MMA has a long way to go before it takes over boxing. It's a misconception that MMA right now is bigger than boxing. When you look at ratings, payouts, etc you realize that not only is boxing bigger than MMA, but boxing still dwarfs MMA significantly. I mean, some boxing trainers make more money per fight than the biggest fighters in MMA. The best boxers make in 1 fight an amount that the best MMA fighter would need 3-4 lifetimes to make. The reason boxers are able to earn much more is due to higher ratings, more money bet, etc etc which goes back to boxing being more popular.

All that being said, MMA's rise over the last 2 decades has been astronomical and it's hard not to see it surpass boxing IF it continues growing at this current rate. Unfortunately though, I do not see MMA ever catching boxing in terms of history but it is quickly becoming more acceptable to the masses and perhaps in the near future it starts drawing attention comparable to boxing. The one thing though is I cant see MMA fighters making $20+ million per fight anytime soon, maybe not even in this lifetime. The biggest obstacle to that is that the best fighters are tied to contracts with the biggest organization in the sport (UFC) and so they are forced to sign reduced salaries while the UFC get to pocket much of the money.

Wow lots of ignorance in this thread. The reason you don't hear about MMA is because you don't care about it. Its all over ESPN.com, Yahoo.com, trending on Twitter. MLB just announced their all stars this year, you know what I don't care because I don't follow baseball. I don't recognize 90% of the names listed, but that was big news today. 
MMA doesn't  have high profile names? Come on dude, go out on the street and I can guarantee you, more people know who the UFC HW champion is than Boxings HW champ. Hell, people don't even know there are two Klitschkos and that they are both the HW champions in boxing. Cain Velasquez is going to be a big deal, the Mexican market is very underrated. 

The reason why MMA is popular is not because its violent sport, its become part of a lifestyle for the younger generation. Go to any bar on Saturday Night televising the UFC and that place is packed. Go to any gym and those Body Combat and Kickboxing classes are packed. BJJ and Grappling gyms are over the place. Go to GNC, there's no more Arnold or Jay Cutler endorsements, everybody wants to look like GSP.  Sports Nutrition and dieting is bigger than ever. Its not just Met Rx and raw eggs anymore. Theres like a million supplement brands now, and everyone is associated with the UFC. You couldn't say that 10 yrs ago, because no one wanted to down protein shakes unless you were serious. Affliction and Tap Out shirts are sported by douches everywhere.

UFC can be bigger, they are on Spike TV and Versus, two of the worst cable outlets in the country.  If they every move to an Turner, Universal, or ESPN network, its going to be a wrap. And why can't they be on those network, because older conservatives like Chris Berman, Jim Lampley, Bob Ley, and **** Ebersol hate it. The same reason its not legalize in NY state, old folks in power are just being ignorant. There's an internal struggle in ESPN, producers want more UFC coverage because it draws ratings. While the higher ups can give two sh##s and instead show us nonstop coverage of the Womens world cup and WNBA. Something nobody is watching or even cares about.

Boxing still can make a comeback, but it needs to come together and become one brand/entity like the UFC with one person as the face of the organization. We live in a corporate world today, name branding is more important than the product itself. Boxing doesn't want to do that and its one of the major reasons why it hurts the sport. You have to make it simple with some lineage that casual fans can follow. Too many weigh classes with multiple champions in different promotions, it too confusing for people to follow. Imagine if college football dropped the bowl season and had no BCS title game. Thats what boxing is right now. 

Wow lots of ignorance in this thread. The reason you don't hear about MMA is because you don't care about it. Its all over ESPN.com, Yahoo.com, trending on Twitter. MLB just announced their all stars this year, you know what I don't care because I don't follow baseball. I don't recognize 90% of the names listed, but that was big news today. 
MMA doesn't  have high profile names? Come on dude, go out on the street and I can guarantee you, more people know who the UFC HW champion is than Boxings HW champ. Hell, people don't even know there are two Klitschkos and that they are both the HW champions in boxing. Cain Velasquez is going to be a big deal, the Mexican market is very underrated. 

The reason why MMA is popular is not because its violent sport, its become part of a lifestyle for the younger generation. Go to any bar on Saturday Night televising the UFC and that place is packed. Go to any gym and those Body Combat and Kickboxing classes are packed. BJJ and Grappling gyms are over the place. Go to GNC, there's no more Arnold or Jay Cutler endorsements, everybody wants to look like GSP.  Sports Nutrition and dieting is bigger than ever. Its not just Met Rx and raw eggs anymore. Theres like a million supplement brands now, and everyone is associated with the UFC. You couldn't say that 10 yrs ago, because no one wanted to down protein shakes unless you were serious. Affliction and Tap Out shirts are sported by douches everywhere.

UFC can be bigger, they are on Spike TV and Versus, two of the worst cable outlets in the country.  If they every move to an Turner, Universal, or ESPN network, its going to be a wrap. And why can't they be on those network, because older conservatives like Chris Berman, Jim Lampley, Bob Ley, and **** Ebersol hate it. The same reason its not legalize in NY state, old folks in power are just being ignorant. There's an internal struggle in ESPN, producers want more UFC coverage because it draws ratings. While the higher ups can give two sh##s and instead show us nonstop coverage of the Womens world cup and WNBA. Something nobody is watching or even cares about.

Boxing still can make a comeback, but it needs to come together and become one brand/entity like the UFC with one person as the face of the organization. We live in a corporate world today, name branding is more important than the product itself. Boxing doesn't want to do that and its one of the major reasons why it hurts the sport. You have to make it simple with some lineage that casual fans can follow. Too many weigh classes with multiple champions in different promotions, it too confusing for people to follow. Imagine if college football dropped the bowl season and had no BCS title game. Thats what boxing is right now. 

Originally Posted by Carlos Tevez

The problem is, it doesn't matter how much money a fighter makes. It matters how many people actually watch it. I also don't think fighters will EVER make $20mil a fight that's insane. The UFC is ran differently, it OWNS the fighters and they don't have co-promotions.

The problem is, it doesn't matter how much money a fighter makes. It matters how many people actually watch it. I also don't think fighters will EVER make $20mil a fight that's insane. The UFC is ran differently, it OWNS the fighters and they don't have co-promotions.

Is it really all over ESPN all the time? It's not mainstream. Neither is boxing. You want mainstream, we'll talk about baseball, football, basketball, and maybe hockey. And after that? Golf, tennis and soccer are more popular worldwide than either sport. Yeah sure, they'll talk about it on a given segment, as they will with boxing.

MMA doesn't have high profile names? Come on dude, go out on the street and I can guarantee you, more people know who the UFC HW champion is than Boxings HW champ. Hell, people don't even know there are two Klitschkos and that they are both the HW champions in boxing. Cain Velasquez is going to be a big deal, the Mexican market is very underrated.

At a time when heavyweight boxing is at it's lowest point in decades, sure. Cain Velasquez is really that big of a name? His own Mexican counterpart, who isn't a heavyweight, will get tons more love from the Mexican community than he will, bet that (referring to Saul Alvarez). I'm not convinced a lot more people really know who Cain is, in comparison to the Klitschko brothers.

The reason why MMA is popular is not because its violent sport, its become part of a lifestyle for the younger generation. Go to any bar on Saturday Night televising the UFC and that place is packed. Go to any gym and those Body Combat and Kickboxing classes are packed. BJJ and Grappling gyms are over the place. Go to GNC, there's no more Arnold or Jay Cutler endorsements, everybody wants to look like GSP. Sports Nutrition and dieting is bigger than ever. Its not just Met Rx and raw eggs anymore. Theres like a million supplement brands now, and everyone is associated with the UFC. You couldn't say that 10 yrs ago, because no one wanted to down protein shakes unless you were serious. Affliction and Tap Out shirts are sported by douches everywhere.

MMA isn't popular because it's a violent sport? I'll be damned. That's why people first began to love Boxing, football, and now hockey. Beating the crap out of someone is a lifestyle for the younger generation? That's the message you want to send? All the marketing is great, without a doubt, but I highly doubt the reason why MMA is so popular is because kids want to be in-shape and chug protein shakes.
laugh.gif
. You're also being extremely biased towards American MMA. In Japan, it's moreso kickboxing. In parts of Europe, Boxing is bigger. The MMA success is largely due to the American audience. The brutality and the promotion is why it's so popular. Yeah they rake in a lot of dough, but they spend a crapton of money promoting MMA. No, it's not all driven by the violence of the sport, but it's a key reason why, along with the promotion up the ++$.

UFC can be bigger, they are on Spike TV and Versus, two of the worst cable outlets in the country. If they every move to an Turner, Universal, or ESPN network, its going to be a wrap. And why can't they be on those network, because older conservatives like Chris Berman, Jim Lampley, Bob Ley, and **** Ebersol hate it. The same reason its not legalize in NY state, old folks in power are just being ignorant. There's an internal struggle in ESPN, producers want more UFC coverage because it draws ratings. While the higher ups can give two sh##s and instead show us nonstop coverage of the Womens world cup and WNBA. Something nobody is watching or even cares about.

Well, it's illegal in some countries all together.. Why? Because they deem it too violent, which makes people want to see it even more.

Is it really all over ESPN all the time? It's not mainstream. Neither is boxing. You want mainstream, we'll talk about baseball, football, basketball, and maybe hockey. And after that? Golf, tennis and soccer are more popular worldwide than either sport. Yeah sure, they'll talk about it on a given segment, as they will with boxing.

MMA doesn't have high profile names? Come on dude, go out on the street and I can guarantee you, more people know who the UFC HW champion is than Boxings HW champ. Hell, people don't even know there are two Klitschkos and that they are both the HW champions in boxing. Cain Velasquez is going to be a big deal, the Mexican market is very underrated.

At a time when heavyweight boxing is at it's lowest point in decades, sure. Cain Velasquez is really that big of a name? His own Mexican counterpart, who isn't a heavyweight, will get tons more love from the Mexican community than he will, bet that (referring to Saul Alvarez). I'm not convinced a lot more people really know who Cain is, in comparison to the Klitschko brothers.

The reason why MMA is popular is not because its violent sport, its become part of a lifestyle for the younger generation. Go to any bar on Saturday Night televising the UFC and that place is packed. Go to any gym and those Body Combat and Kickboxing classes are packed. BJJ and Grappling gyms are over the place. Go to GNC, there's no more Arnold or Jay Cutler endorsements, everybody wants to look like GSP. Sports Nutrition and dieting is bigger than ever. Its not just Met Rx and raw eggs anymore. Theres like a million supplement brands now, and everyone is associated with the UFC. You couldn't say that 10 yrs ago, because no one wanted to down protein shakes unless you were serious. Affliction and Tap Out shirts are sported by douches everywhere.

MMA isn't popular because it's a violent sport? I'll be damned. That's why people first began to love Boxing, football, and now hockey. Beating the crap out of someone is a lifestyle for the younger generation? That's the message you want to send? All the marketing is great, without a doubt, but I highly doubt the reason why MMA is so popular is because kids want to be in-shape and chug protein shakes.
laugh.gif
. You're also being extremely biased towards American MMA. In Japan, it's moreso kickboxing. In parts of Europe, Boxing is bigger. The MMA success is largely due to the American audience. The brutality and the promotion is why it's so popular. Yeah they rake in a lot of dough, but they spend a crapton of money promoting MMA. No, it's not all driven by the violence of the sport, but it's a key reason why, along with the promotion up the ++$.

UFC can be bigger, they are on Spike TV and Versus, two of the worst cable outlets in the country. If they every move to an Turner, Universal, or ESPN network, its going to be a wrap. And why can't they be on those network, because older conservatives like Chris Berman, Jim Lampley, Bob Ley, and **** Ebersol hate it. The same reason its not legalize in NY state, old folks in power are just being ignorant. There's an internal struggle in ESPN, producers want more UFC coverage because it draws ratings. While the higher ups can give two sh##s and instead show us nonstop coverage of the Womens world cup and WNBA. Something nobody is watching or even cares about.

Well, it's illegal in some countries all together.. Why? Because they deem it too violent, which makes people want to see it even more.

Originally Posted by Lakersfan1

Boxing still generates higher ratings.

Originally Posted by Lakersfan1

Boxing still generates higher ratings.

2007:
SPIKE TV
UFC 70 -- Mirko "Cro Cop" vs. Gabriel Gonzaga
Saturday, April 21
2.8 million viewers

HBO
Ricky Hatton vs Juan Urango
Saturday, January 20
1.5 million viewers

2006:
SPIKE TV
Tito Ortiz vs. Ken Shamrock
October 10
4.3 million viewers

HBO
Winky Wright vs. Jermain Taylor
June 17
3.5 million viewers

Top 10 PPV buy rates, 2009

1. UFC 100: Brock Lesnar vs. Frank Mir, July 11, 1.6 million

2. Boxing: Manny Pacquiao vs. Miguel Cotto, Nov. 14, 1.25 million

3. Boxing: Floyd Mayweather Jr. vs. Juan Manuel Marquez, Sept. 19, 1.05 millon

4. UFC 94: Georges St. Pierre vs. B.J. Penn, Jan. 31, 920,000 buys

5. UFC 101: Penn vs. Kenny Florian/Anderson Silva vs. Forrest Griffin, Aug. 8, 850,000

6. Boxing: Pacquiao vs. Ricky Hatton, May 2, 825,000

7t. UFC 107: Penn vs. Diego Sanchez, Dec. 12, 650,000

7t. UFC 97: Silva vs. Thales Leites/Chuck Liddell vs. Mauricio Rua, April 18, 650,000

9. UFC 99: Lyoto Machida vs. Rashad Evans/Matt Hughes vs. Matt Serra, May 23, 635,000

10. Wrestling: WWE WrestleMania 25, April 5, 582,000 buys

2007:
SPIKE TV
UFC 70 -- Mirko "Cro Cop" vs. Gabriel Gonzaga
Saturday, April 21
2.8 million viewers

HBO
Ricky Hatton vs Juan Urango
Saturday, January 20
1.5 million viewers

2006:
SPIKE TV
Tito Ortiz vs. Ken Shamrock
October 10
4.3 million viewers

HBO
Winky Wright vs. Jermain Taylor
June 17
3.5 million viewers

Top 10 PPV buy rates, 2009

1. UFC 100: Brock Lesnar vs. Frank Mir, July 11, 1.6 million

2. Boxing: Manny Pacquiao vs. Miguel Cotto, Nov. 14, 1.25 million

3. Boxing: Floyd Mayweather Jr. vs. Juan Manuel Marquez, Sept. 19, 1.05 millon

4. UFC 94: Georges St. Pierre vs. B.J. Penn, Jan. 31, 920,000 buys

5. UFC 101: Penn vs. Kenny Florian/Anderson Silva vs. Forrest Griffin, Aug. 8, 850,000

6. Boxing: Pacquiao vs. Ricky Hatton, May 2, 825,000

7t. UFC 107: Penn vs. Diego Sanchez, Dec. 12, 650,000

7t. UFC 97: Silva vs. Thales Leites/Chuck Liddell vs. Mauricio Rua, April 18, 650,000

9. UFC 99: Lyoto Machida vs. Rashad Evans/Matt Hughes vs. Matt Serra, May 23, 635,000

10. Wrestling: WWE WrestleMania 25, April 5, 582,000 buys

Back
Top Bottom