How long before MMA over takes boxing in the sports landscape?

Originally Posted by ludex360

Originally Posted by ShaunHillFTW49

3rd and final time, UFC produces more PPVS so of course it will have more overall viewers. It's like comparing baseball attendance records to football. Aside from  2009, boxing has the top draw If boxing had a single promotion, then they could churn out a dozen ppv vents a year. Luckily for fans, Golden boy and Top Rank have many of their fights on premium cable
that's because all they have is manny and floyd
And before that, all they had was DLH, RJJ, and before that the Heavyweight division.

Also, no, Anderson can not be in the same conversation as Anderson. Mike Tyson transcended boxing. Tyson was huge for SPORTS, not just boxing. Anderson is huge for HIS sport.

Originally Posted by ludex360

Originally Posted by ShaunHillFTW49

3rd and final time, UFC produces more PPVS so of course it will have more overall viewers. It's like comparing baseball attendance records to football. Aside from  2009, boxing has the top draw If boxing had a single promotion, then they could churn out a dozen ppv vents a year. Luckily for fans, Golden boy and Top Rank have many of their fights on premium cable
that's because all they have is manny and floyd
And before that, all they had was DLH, RJJ, and before that the Heavyweight division.

Also, no, Anderson can not be in the same conversation as Anderson. Mike Tyson transcended boxing. Tyson was huge for SPORTS, not just boxing. Anderson is huge for HIS sport.

Remove Manny and Floyd = boxing is dead.

I've posted numbers, you guys still won't accept it.

laugh.gif
just enjoy both fellas. they're 2 different sports. they can co-exist.

Originally Posted by quik1987

Word?  Check the numbers for Canelo and JCC Jr.  Check the numbers for the Klits bros in Europe. 

And check the numbers on Hopkins-Pascal.  And the numbers to Ortiz-Berto.

I'm tired of this discussion. Boxing will always reign supreme.

Originally Posted by quik1987

Word?  Check the numbers for Canelo and JCC Jr.  Check the numbers for the Klits bros in Europe. 

And check the numbers on Hopkins-Pascal.  And the numbers to Ortiz-Berto.

I'm tired of this discussion. Boxing will always reign supreme.

Why didn't you just post them?

Pascal vs Hopkins Rematch Does 1.8 Million Viewers on HBO

Ortiz vs Berto draws 1.5 million viewers, making it the most watched HBO fight of 2011

Alvarez vs Hatton, which was reported as 1.4 million live viewers, but was actually about 920,000

Chavez vs Zbik draws 1.5 million viewers on HBO, making it the highest BAD total since 2007

But you are trying to compare premium cable numbers to ppv buys

Why didn't you just post them?

Pascal vs Hopkins Rematch Does 1.8 Million Viewers on HBO

Ortiz vs Berto draws 1.5 million viewers, making it the most watched HBO fight of 2011

Alvarez vs Hatton, which was reported as 1.4 million live viewers, but was actually about 920,000

Chavez vs Zbik draws 1.5 million viewers on HBO, making it the highest BAD total since 2007

But you are trying to compare premium cable numbers to ppv buys

But yall are trying to make it seem like people dont watch boxing. Obviously, people still flock to bouts.

I'm a HUGE boxing advocate, there's no stopping our sport.

There are a bunch of names that IMHO, will succeed Pac & Mayweather (a lot of people forget that Miguel Cotto is still a major draw as well) as the sport's top draw: Andre Ward, Nonito Donaire, Ghost Guerrero, Canelo, JCC Jr., Timmy Bradley, Brandon Rios. (you can probably tell where my bias lays based on the fighters I chose to list)

And watch out for my dude Mercito Gesta.

But yall are trying to make it seem like people dont watch boxing. Obviously, people still flock to bouts.

I'm a HUGE boxing advocate, there's no stopping our sport.

There are a bunch of names that IMHO, will succeed Pac & Mayweather (a lot of people forget that Miguel Cotto is still a major draw as well) as the sport's top draw: Andre Ward, Nonito Donaire, Ghost Guerrero, Canelo, JCC Jr., Timmy Bradley, Brandon Rios. (you can probably tell where my bias lays based on the fighters I chose to list)

And watch out for my dude Mercito Gesta.

MMA is for beer drinkers

people are also ignoring the rest of the world, boxing is huge in countries like Mexico, PR, Cuba

MMA is for beer drinkers

people are also ignoring the rest of the world, boxing is huge in countries like Mexico, PR, Cuba

Originally Posted by bleach

MMA is for beer drinkers

Agreed. Plus, Europe and Australia.

MMA is for beer drinkers

Agreed. Plus, Europe and Australia.

MMA is for beer drinkers

Did I not just mention how big MMA is in Japan and Brazil? 

MMA is for beer drinkers

MMA is for beer drinkers

Beer is the world's oldest and most widely consumed alcoholic beverage and the third most popular drink overall after water and tea

MMA is for beer drinkers

Beer is the world's oldest and most widely consumed alcoholic beverage and the third most popular drink overall after water and tea

Originally Posted by CaptainCrown

Wow lots of ignorance in this thread. The reason you don't hear about MMA is because you don't care about it. Its all over ESPN.com, Yahoo.com, trending on Twitter. MLB just announced their all stars this year, you know what I don't care because I don't follow baseball. I don't recognize 90% of the names listed, but that was big news today. 
MMA doesn't  have high profile names? Come on dude, go out on the street and I can guarantee you, more people know who the UFC HW champion is than Boxings HW champ. Hell, people don't even know there are two Klitschkos and that they are both the HW champions in boxing. Cain Velasquez is going to be a big deal, the Mexican market is very underrated. 

The reason why MMA is popular is not because its violent sport, its become part of a lifestyle for the younger generation. Go to any bar on Saturday Night televising the UFC and that place is packed. Go to any gym and those Body Combat and Kickboxing classes are packed. BJJ and Grappling gyms are over the place. Go to GNC, there's no more Arnold or Jay Cutler endorsements, everybody wants to look like GSP.  Sports Nutrition and dieting is bigger than ever. Its not just Met Rx and raw eggs anymore. Theres like a million supplement brands now, and everyone is associated with the UFC. You couldn't say that 10 yrs ago, because no one wanted to down protein shakes unless you were serious. Affliction and Tap Out shirts are sported by douches everywhere.

UFC can be bigger, they are on Spike TV and Versus, two of the worst cable outlets in the country.  If they every move to an Turner, Universal, or ESPN network, its going to be a wrap. And why can't they be on those network, because older conservatives like Chris Berman, Jim Lampley, Bob Ley, and **** Ebersol hate it. The same reason its not legalize in NY state, old folks in power are just being ignorant. There's an internal struggle in ESPN, producers want more UFC coverage because it draws ratings. While the higher ups can give two sh##s and instead show us nonstop coverage of the Womens world cup and WNBA. Something nobody is watching or even cares about.

Boxing still can make a comeback, but it needs to come together and become one brand/entity like the UFC with one person as the face of the organization. We live in a corporate world today, name branding is more important than the product itself. Boxing doesn't want to do that and its one of the major reasons why it hurts the sport. You have to make it simple with some lineage that casual fans can follow. Too many weigh classes with multiple champions in different promotions, it too confusing for people to follow. Imagine if college football dropped the bowl season and had no BCS title game. Thats what boxing is right now. 
Well said, especially about boxing not being unified. Boxing would be a much better sport if it would govern itself under one large organization. One standard drug-testing policy, the same sanctions across the board no matter the region or weight class. A boxer's union would be great also. I remember Herschel Walker talking about how there should be a MMA union, but that didn't go to well with Dana White. I think it's important that these athletes should have some type of representation outside of their management.

Originally Posted by CaptainCrown

Wow lots of ignorance in this thread. The reason you don't hear about MMA is because you don't care about it. Its all over ESPN.com, Yahoo.com, trending on Twitter. MLB just announced their all stars this year, you know what I don't care because I don't follow baseball. I don't recognize 90% of the names listed, but that was big news today. 
MMA doesn't  have high profile names? Come on dude, go out on the street and I can guarantee you, more people know who the UFC HW champion is than Boxings HW champ. Hell, people don't even know there are two Klitschkos and that they are both the HW champions in boxing. Cain Velasquez is going to be a big deal, the Mexican market is very underrated. 

The reason why MMA is popular is not because its violent sport, its become part of a lifestyle for the younger generation. Go to any bar on Saturday Night televising the UFC and that place is packed. Go to any gym and those Body Combat and Kickboxing classes are packed. BJJ and Grappling gyms are over the place. Go to GNC, there's no more Arnold or Jay Cutler endorsements, everybody wants to look like GSP.  Sports Nutrition and dieting is bigger than ever. Its not just Met Rx and raw eggs anymore. Theres like a million supplement brands now, and everyone is associated with the UFC. You couldn't say that 10 yrs ago, because no one wanted to down protein shakes unless you were serious. Affliction and Tap Out shirts are sported by douches everywhere.

UFC can be bigger, they are on Spike TV and Versus, two of the worst cable outlets in the country.  If they every move to an Turner, Universal, or ESPN network, its going to be a wrap. And why can't they be on those network, because older conservatives like Chris Berman, Jim Lampley, Bob Ley, and **** Ebersol hate it. The same reason its not legalize in NY state, old folks in power are just being ignorant. There's an internal struggle in ESPN, producers want more UFC coverage because it draws ratings. While the higher ups can give two sh##s and instead show us nonstop coverage of the Womens world cup and WNBA. Something nobody is watching or even cares about.

Boxing still can make a comeback, but it needs to come together and become one brand/entity like the UFC with one person as the face of the organization. We live in a corporate world today, name branding is more important than the product itself. Boxing doesn't want to do that and its one of the major reasons why it hurts the sport. You have to make it simple with some lineage that casual fans can follow. Too many weigh classes with multiple champions in different promotions, it too confusing for people to follow. Imagine if college football dropped the bowl season and had no BCS title game. Thats what boxing is right now. 
Well said, especially about boxing not being unified. Boxing would be a much better sport if it would govern itself under one large organization. One standard drug-testing policy, the same sanctions across the board no matter the region or weight class. A boxer's union would be great also. I remember Herschel Walker talking about how there should be a MMA union, but that didn't go to well with Dana White. I think it's important that these athletes should have some type of representation outside of their management.

Originally Posted by quiickz

MMA is for beer drinkers

im not saying its not big in those region
my point is that MMA is not going to "take over" like people have been saying it will for years because there's no chance of it replacing boxing in the countries i mentioned 

Originally Posted by quiickz

MMA is for beer drinkers

im not saying its not big in those region
my point is that MMA is not going to "take over" like people have been saying it will for years because there's no chance of it replacing boxing in the countries i mentioned 

I'm not going to get into this dead horse argument because I think both serve their purpose and both can feed off each other as show by writers of both attend the others' sports and appreciate the others' sport but if you guys think boxing is dead turn to Showtime and watch the main event.

Back
Top Bottom