How many of y'all have to put on a suit for work? vol. Cube life

So how many of y'all have to put on a full suit and tie for work?

I'm asking because I've noticed it's been a real shift (at least around DC) to business casual everyday or even "casual everydays" at some gov't departments and contractors.

suits are archaic. the whole corporate culture is archaic, especially with the rise of remote working. professionalism isn't a look, its the quality of the job you do. if people want to wear them when its not really necessary anymore more power to them.

the most business formal area in DC is the hill. you have to wear at least a blazer and neck wear when sessional votes occur. then k street firms, since they are usually up on the hill meeting with staffers/politicians. im so glad to be away from there.

now im an editor in Bethesda and im strictly casual. its great compared to my old offices now its jeans, sneaks, and sometimes t shirts if its too hot

Last edited:
I work in DC and I don't wear a suit daily per say, but a tucked in dress shirt/sweater, slacks and loafers is standard attire. Business casual basically, not uncommon to see ties. The higher-ups are still very suit-oriented and we have casual friday's occasionally but anything beyond new balances or a high end casual shoe may get you harsh looks. These yuppies take appearance seriously in the district.

I work at NASA in greenbelt....relaxed business casual lol. I can wear jeans every day. I wear khakis most of the week with a button down or polo....untucked.

Friday i wear jeans...just because it puts me in a more relaxed mindset.

I want to wear a suit
embarassed.gif

No Job
frown.gif

I sell Health Insurance for Anthem Blue Cross, business casual while im here in the building, but shirt and tie while im out in sales meetings. Once in a while i have to go all out in a suit.

These yuppies take appearance seriously in the district.
no liee...i still cant understand why people wear blazers out to bars. not clubs, or lounges but like straight up diveyish spots, especially in Adams Morgan. 

I throw on a suit during wedding season (photographer)

It's a good feeling to dress up in a suit.

suits are archaic. the whole corporate culture is archaic, especially with the rise of remote working. professionalism isn't a look, its the quality of the job you do. if people want to wear them when its not really necessary anymore more power to them.

the most business formal area in DC is the hill. you have to wear at least a blazer and neck wear when sessional votes occur. then k street firms, since they are usually up on the hill meeting with staffers/politicians. im so glad to be away from there.

now im an editor in Bethesda and im strictly casual. its great compared to my old offices now its jeans, sneaks, and sometimes t shirts if its too hot

This is a very simplistic way of looking at things, it depends on what you do. An editor can get away with not wearing a suit because they don't work in the fore-front of marketing, or promoting their company. A computer programmer can dress however the hell they want, but a CEO who runs the company may have to wear a suit to during a meeting with potential investors.

Surgeons wear scrubs to do their grunt work in the hospital and perform surgery, but during "office hours" they need to sell themselves to potential patients. It behooves them to dress as "Professional" as possible. This also depends on the patient demographic. If you are meeting with wealthy of famous patients, they usually expect the best and a suit can portray a sense of over-importance. If you are meeting with uninsured, underserved patients it may not matter.

I mean it sucks but appearances are very important in the work force, but not in every job.

Work environment is shirt and tie, but that looks childish. So I rock a jacket.

Suit is archaic. :lol:. Simpleton.

"no liee...i still cant understand why people wear blazers out to bars. "

You're one of those blazers = dressed up type dudes. Blazer with jeans is a pretty common casual look.

Last edited:
a nice tailored suit makes women moister than a freshly baked lemon square.

Last edited:
The Georgetown swag. And the nova folks.

You can spot them from a mile away because they're always overdressed.

Work environment is shirt and tie, but that looks childish. So I rock a jacket.

Suit is archaic.
laugh.gif
. Simpleton.

"no liee...i still cant understand why people wear blazers out to bars. "

You're one of those blazers = dressed up type dudes. Blazer with jeans is a pretty common casual look.
meh i guess.

and if i am i am...if you would wear a blazer, chinos, and such to a dive bar place more power to you. alot of DC bar culture isnt like other cities. these are not trendy spots, they are essentially watering holes.

** also whats with the name calling? i just said suits and corporate culture are archaic, not insinuating anything about the people that wear them out of necessity or choice like you coming at me for whatever reason. if its a requirement for a position fine but most spots aren't making their rank and file employees wear them anymore.

Last edited:
we can wear jeans one day out of the month. every other day it is a buttoned down shirt and slacks at the minmum. if i could wear jeans and sneaks everyday that would be great

I also work downtown DC (DHS) and I wear shirt and tie everyday, suit when necessary. I won't feel right rocking a polo, khaki's, sperry's in a professional environment and I wish these kids didn't either. Guy in here rocks jordans/lebrons, cargo pants (I guess that's his version of khaki's) and an untucked wrinkled polo every day. I've tried to reach out to them since we're the same age, like we're at work man your clothes don't even have to be expensive just look the part at least. I was taught even if you don't know what you're doing at least look good doing it. Appearance still counts. I guess they feel that because you're in a higher position you're talking down on them when i'm really just tryna give him advice. Just wanna see my brothers succeed too.

I wear a suit on sunday morning for church

I dont have a "dress code" @ my office M-F (unless i go to client meetings)

So i usually go to work dressed very casual and comfortable

Kobes / Jeans / Hoody

Not sure where yall are hanging out but t-shirts aren't gonna fly at the nicer places in DC, hell even the "watered down" spots. You won't even get in.

From Bethesda and out yea, silver spring and up is pretty much in tune. Hispanics don't really get down like that.

Back
Top Bottom