How Michael Jordan Still Earns $80 Million A Year

Scumbag MJ
pimp.gif

This. Whenever it happens, I'll be there to continue, but I have a feeling there will be nothing left once it does. It's amazing how he still has an effect. It boggles my mind how kids that are teenagers to young 20's buy kicks at a crazy pace but have never seen him play. I think that's the beef with older "collectors" vs. younger "collectors". Simply the reason, older people saw him play which made them buy the kicks. Younger people buy because itss popular. The common thread is that they are classic shoes that everyone loves, we just take the reason for buying them personal.
You can say what you want about it but is marketing. Kids buy it for a different reason than oldheads and there is nothing wrong with that. There is not enough oldheads for Nike to make that kind of profit from them. Even before the sneaker bubble it was mostly the new collectors spending that kind of loot.

This. Whenever it happens, I'll be there to continue, but I have a feeling there will be nothing left once it does. It's amazing how he still has an effect. It boggles my mind how kids that are teenagers to young 20's buy kicks at a crazy pace but have never seen him play. I think that's the beef with older "collectors" vs. younger "collectors". Simply the reason, older people saw him play which made them buy the kicks. Younger people buy because itss popular. The common thread is that they are classic shoes that everyone loves, we just take the reason for buying them personal.

all old heads with this logic are annoying.

1.) people from teens to early 20s have seen space jam, we've seen all the highlights, if you have ESPN Classic or NBA TV you can catch some of his full games. Some of us didn't see him play live or experience the hype while he was in in the league, but that doesn't mean we don't view him as a legend and understand the hype he had. when i was a kid i saw space jam, his highlights, & had a documentary of his on VHS so trust and believe i viewed him as some sort of basketball god who could never lose. you don't think that would make us want to buy his shoes? AND they're popular so that's a plus.

2.) starting at probably age 5 i feel like a normal child can grasp the idea of fame/celebrity and hype. if everyone around you is praising and stopping everything they're doing to watch a person play...you get how big that is. So...if you're 20...you were 5 when he won his last championship. If you were around an adult who watched sports you knew what was going on and how big it was. Plus as you grew older his presence and celebrity never left...it's still MICHAEL JORDAN! so since y'all saw him play y'all are the only ones who can "wanna be like Mike?" NO. You think I wasn't at recess playing in my mini Jays thinking i could jump that much higher? miss me w/ that

/rant

1.) people from teens to early 20s have seen space jam, we've seen all the highlights, if you have ESPN Classic or NBA TV you can catch some of his full games. Some of us didn't see him play live or experience the hype while he was in in the league, but that doesn't mean we don't view him as a legend and understand the hype he had. when i was a kid i saw space jam, his highlights, & had a documentary of his on VHS so trust and believe i viewed him as some sort of basketball god who could never lose. you don't think that would make us want to buy his shoes? AND they're popular so that's a plus.

2.) starting at probably age 5 i feel like a normal child can grasp the idea of fame/celebrity and hype. if everyone around you is praising and stopping everything they're doing to watch a person play...you get how big that is. So...if you're 20...you were 5 when he won his last championship. If you were around an adult who watched sports you knew what was going on and how big it was. Plus as you grew older his presence and celebrity never left...it's still MICHAEL JORDAN! so since y'all saw him play y'all are the only ones who can "wanna be like Mike?" NO. You think I wasn't at recess playing in my mini Jays thinking i could jump that much higher? miss me w/ that

/rant

I'm not a young guy, and I really don't understand how everyone has the money to buy EVERY release (must not have much in savings), but the older generation's hatred of younger collectors is consistent with our ethos.

I read this great piece by Malcolm Gladwell called Cool Hunting (link: http://gladwell.com/1997/1997_03_17_a_cool.htm) and it really explains the quest for authenticity. MJ is one of the most authentic athletes (on the court), but we older guys think there's no way for younger people to authentically appreciate shoes that came out while they were still in the womb. We're obsessed with authenticity, but the love of our shoes by younger folks seems really inauthentic to most of us. But frankly, older folks need to realize younger people buy his authenticity because we buy his authenticity.

No, it doesn't have anything to do with younger people having the same love for MJ--no offense kids, but you can't. You can't understand him the way I can't understand Babe Ruth. But, the cultural perception of MJ is so strong that his halo will propel sales and interest for years to come. We love Jordan because we saw a legend, young people love Jordan because he's an urban legend.

Last edited:
You can say what you want about it but is marketing. Kids buy it for a different reason than oldheads and there is nothing wrong with that. There is not enough oldheads for Nike to make that kind of profit from them. Even before the sneaker bubble it was mostly the new collectors spending that kind of loot.

Oh, I agree. It has ALWAYS been about marketing with Nike/JB. That never went away. It's the shift in their marketing that's amazing. Then again they pay people to be on NT and watch so they know how to continue their marketing. Nike is a reasearch company just as much as it is a sports apparel company.

/rant

:lol: no need to rant. I made an observation. Obviously it still bugs you to some degree. It's one thing to look at video and ESPN classic etc, but it is another to actually witness it. There is something to be said about it. It's not your fault when you were born. I can never fully understand how truly great Muhhamd Ali was, he retired the year I was born, but I can look at tapes and clips to give me an idea of his greatness. He's big now still as a former athlete, but he was a cultural pheomenon as a player. While you can see the gatorade commercial on youtube, you're not going to sing the jingle now. It's old. How many kids were singing that while he played with the Bulls. My point is that tapes cannot fully replace being in the moment. I cannot fault people for the time they are born in lol. Space Jam was just an extension from the VII and VIII ads, so when it came out, it was too late for me, I was14 or 15. All I was saying is that people are really attached to the REASONS why they buy a shoe, when JB could care less. We all love them because they are classic shoes.

I'm not a young guy, and I really don't understand how everyone has the money to buy EVERY release (must not have much in savings), but the older generation's hatred of younger collectors is consistent with our ethos.

I read this great piece by Malcolm Gladwell called Cool Hunting (link: http://gladwell.com/1997/1997_03_17_a_cool.htm) and it really explains the quest for authenticity. MJ is one of the most authentic athletes (on the court), but we older guys think there's no way for younger people to authentically appreciate shoes that came out while they were still in the womb. We're obsessed with authenticity, but the love of our shoes by younger folks seems really inauthentic to most of us. But frankly, older folks need to realize younger people buy his authenticity because we buy his authenticity.

No, it doesn't have anything to do with younger people having the same love for MJ--no offense kids, but you can't. You can't understand him the way I can't understand Babe Ruth. But, the cultural perception of MJ is so strong that his halo will propel sales and interest for years to come. We love Jordan because we saw a legend, young people love Jordan because he's an urban legend.

Secretz, regarding the first paragraph - alot of these new 'collectors' just 'lease' kicks. They take pics with 'em, rock 'em for a bit then sell them to get the next hottest/hyped kick. It's an endless cycle, granted that some of them are genuinely wealthy but a significant portion just buy, rock and flip in a short period of time.

And that essentially leads you to the allure of JB product - there's no urban legend or feeling of authenticity. JB products are trendy, fashion items - no ifs or buts about it my man. The same dudes that were rockin' chunky skateboarding kicks, F1 racing shoes and Vans in the early and mid to late '00s have switched to Nike/JB.

Secretz, regarding the first paragraph - alot of these new 'collectors' just 'lease' kicks. They take pics with 'em, rock 'em for a bit then sell them to get the next hottest/hyped kick. It's an endless cycle, granted that some of them are genuinely wealthy but a significant portion just buy, rock and flip in a short period of time.

And that essentially leads you to the allure of JB product - there's no urban legend or feeling of authenticity. JB products are trendy, fashion items - no ifs or buts about it my man. The same dudes that were rockin' chunky skateboarding kicks, F1 racing shoes and Vans in the early and mid to late '00s have switched to Nike/JB.

Do you know how long it took me to realize that concept? It's foreign to me. I keep what I cop.

I guess I'll see you next lifetime.
What I should have said is I can't wait for the Jordan bubble to pop, which will eventually happen. The majority of these younger heads are nothing more than trend following sheep. Something will come along and replace JB as the "cool thing" to wear and just like SB's only the real enthusiast will remain. 

Looking back...I kick myself thinking about the money I threw at JB over the years. 

I mean in 2006 I was spending damn near almost a G a month trying to keep up with releases, and this is around the time when the 4's and 5's were coming out left and right. I mean why the **** did I need two pairs of Burgundy V's and Army Olive V's? SMH. 

The quality sucks, and even the price increase I even tried to justify. 

Not a knock against the man or anything, more or less a knock against me for all the stupid impulse buys that I made over the years. 

So I can see how dude is still raking in the dough from JB, the III's dropped for 200 with the same quality from 2011. 

I'm sure that's quite prevalent. Like many others in the General forum, I don't really buy Jordans (retros) anymore for various reasons, but to compare the early-mid 00's trends to the popularity of JB is totally off-based. Even back then, you had to get up early, wait in a little line, and then most likely cop your kicks. It wasn't the hype we have now, but most models sold out, or at the very least, sold very well.

I honestly can't say it wouldn't have been the same way if we had the sheer amount of releases in such a short amount of time--let's not forget being fresh has ALWAYS been a huge drive of Jordan's popularity.

Regardless, JB's products keep an air of authenticity -- we see the amount of 16 year olds saying they've been "heavy" in this so called "sneaker game" for years just so older folks won't rip into them. The weird colored KDs and LeBrons may die off and lose half their value, but I'd say the Jordan (retro) market is more than just trendy. Most of these shoes (minus the IXs) have been popular for 15-30 YEARS.

dont mj still have his hoop earings in.....

thats how iv'e been reading the thread tittle ........

Really young 20s? :rolleyes You "old" guys and your holier than thou attitude are hysterical. I'm 22 going on 23 meaning I was born in 1990 and experienced MJ at the height of his career and can remember quite vividly Bulls games on NBC especially against the Knicks. Stop making assumptions and labeling everyone into one group. Granted there are a lot of hypebeasts and kids that buy Jordans because they're popular, but don't you think there are some kids that actually might have watched old footages because their parents schooled them on the legacy of MJ or maybe even passed down kicks to their children and now know the importance and history behind each numbered shoe? Get a grip off life already. Jordans aren't made for one type of person, they're made for those who are willing to spend the money.

Anyway that's dope as hell. I don't personally care for MJ the person, but his legacy and the fact that Air Jordans are still a hot commodity is astonishing. I wonder if Lebrons could ever come close to the impact Js continue to make in the future.

The pricing power of JB is incredible. The new XX8's sold out this morning at a $250 price tag.

It's amazing that they can continue to put out such poor quality products with that kind of pricing power.

Back
Top Bottom