How much can you bench?

Originally Posted by f3DJam

Originally Posted by wawaweewa

Joseph Camel Jr .

There's always been competition between strentgh training and bodybuilding. BB'ers are just mad that not only are we stronger but we look just as good.
laugh.gif
power lifters have digusting builds cmpared to bbers.
olympic, any of them cant compare, and are not asthetically pleasing
laugh.gif

and bbers are not weak

please prove me wrong

I agree that many powerlifters are fat (.....but statically strong) .
laugh.gif

However, not all people who train for strength are powerlifters. The training involved in Powerlifting is maaaaadddddddddddd boring. I don't know how theydo it.

When it comes to olympic weightlifters you're prob thinking of the heavyweights. Yeh, they have some extra fat but you kind of need it when they'reclean and jerking upwards of 250 kilos. It comes with the territory. Though if you lok at all the divisions under superHW and HW the lifters are not fat atall.

More often tha not olympic weightlifters will look like this one...no omo
laugh.gif

ivan-stoitsov.jpg

or

164416481_d0845334d9.jpg

How do you want me to prove you wrong that BB (on average) are weaker then those that train for strentgh? There is no debate to be had really.
Two diff training styles serve 2 different purposes.

SAure there are BB who are f'in strong such as Ronnie Coleman or Johnnie jackson but on average most are not when compared to their weight.
Coleman and Jackson's routine involve a lot of powerlifting type training.

Originally Posted by Joseph Camel Jr

i mean you seem like you're partly joking....but that is a crazy view imo.

so you seem like you powerlift, so dl squat and olympic lifts are what you focus on. ok cool.

but dl's and powercleans arent gonna give you the upper body strength benching will. not to mention the right physique/proportions.

my man
pimp.gif

so you seem like you powerlift, so dl squat and olympic lifts are what you focus on. ok cool.

but dl's and powercleans arent gonna give you the upper body strength benching will. not to mention the right physique/proportions.
Powercleans and deadlifts aren't going to give you the upper body strength that benching will? Not true my friend. Powercleans are one ofthe best exercises due to how many muscles it utilizes during the lift. The deadlift is one of the great mass/strength builders. If done correctly, thedeadlift will add tremendous mass to your back and strength in your legs as well. And like wawaweewa said, it's unusual for someone to have a strong squat/deadlift and a weak bench.

For those thinking bench press is the best measure of strength, you're wrong. While it's a good measure,squats and deadlifts are the kings of exercises. In IPA (International Powerlifting Association) competitions, you perform three lifts. You guessed it:squat, deadlift, bench.

To add what's been said, everything begins with your personal goal. Body builders have different goals/workouts than powerlifters. They are seriously twodifferent worlds; neither is more correct than the other. I find that mixing a little bit of both works best for me and have noticed substantial gains. There's nothing more ridiculous though than spitting out numbers. We all started somewhere; everyone is at a different stage in their own level. For thenewcomers, keep working hard. For the seasoned vets, keep working hard. If you're walking into the gym caring about other people's workouts,you're there for the wrong reason and wasting your time.

If anyone needs any help just shoot me a PM. A cool thing I achieved last week - I was able to add 25 lbs to my bench max just by switching up my techniquefrom the "conventional" way to the arched-back powerlifting form!

I'm 6'2 220. I do sets of 160. My maxout is around 185. Having an unnaturally long wingspan compared to your height makes benching harder. Too manypeople don't realize this.

Originally Posted by jflip

Powercleans and deadlifts aren't going to give you the upper body strength that benching will? Not true my friend. Powercleans are one of the best exercises due to how many muscles it utilizes during the lift. The deadlift is one of the great mass/strength builders. If done correctly, the deadlift will add tremendous mass to your back and strength in your legs as well. And like wawaweewa said, it's unusual for someone to have a strong squat/deadlift and a weak bench.

For those thinking bench press is the best measure of strength, you're wrong. While it's a good measure, squats and deadlifts are the kings of exercises. In IPA (International Powerlifting Association) competitions, you perform three lifts. You guessed it: squat, deadlift, bench.

To add what's been said, everything begins with your personal goal. Body builders have different goals/workouts than powerlifters. They are seriously two different worlds; neither is more correct than the other. I find that mixing a little bit of both works best for me and have noticed substantial gains. There's nothing more ridiculous though than spitting out numbers. We all started somewhere; everyone is at a different stage in their own level. For the newcomers, keep working hard. For the seasoned vets, keep working hard. If you're walking into the gym caring about other people's workouts, you're there for the wrong reason and wasting your time.

If anyone needs any help just shoot me a PM. A cool thing I achieved last week - I was able to add 25 lbs to my bench max just by switching up my technique from the "conventional" way to the arched-back powerlifting form!
I agree with everything you said.

one of the main reasons I'm partly trolling this thread is to hopefully show newcomers to training that the jersey meathead chest/bi's routine is notthe way to go.
laugh.gif

To be completely honest, it's much better for newcomers tarting out to build a base using strength training and then move to bodybuilding if they choose todo so.

most short people can life heavier weights because their arms are short....I'm 5' 9" but I have long *@+ arms (arms as someone who is6').....I lifted today for the first time in years...its amazing how weak i've become...hopefully I can stick w/ it cause it doesnt take that long togain most of my strength back...

Originally Posted by f3DJam

Joseph Camel Jr .

There's always been competition between strentgh training and bodybuilding. BB'ers are just mad that not only are we stronger but we look just as good.
laugh.gif
power lifters have digusting builds cmpared to bbers.
olympic, any of them cant compare, and are not asthetically pleasing
laugh.gif

and bbers are not weak

please prove me wrong
I agree that many powerlifters are fat (.....but statically strong) .
laugh.gif

However, not all people who train for strength are powerlifters. The training involved in Powerlifting is maaaaadddddddddddd boring. I don't know how they do it.

When it comes to olympic weightlifters you're prob thinking of the heavyweights. Yeh, they have some extra fat but you kind of need it when they're clean and jerking upwards of 250 kilos. It comes with the territory. Though if you lok at all the divisions under superHW and HW the lifters are not fat at all.

More often tha not olympic weightlifters will look like this one...no omo
laugh.gif

ivan-stoitsov.jpg

or

164416481_d0845334d9.jpg

How do you want me to prove you wrong that BB (on average) are weaker then those that train for strentgh? There is no debate to be had really.
Two diff training styles serve 2 different purposes.

SAure there are BB who are f'in strong such as Ronnie Coleman or Johnnie jackson but on average most are not when compared to their weight.
Coleman and Jackson's routine involve a lot of powerlifting type training.

i feel you. but i still think bbers lok better. i mean training for asthetics will achieve better results than cleaning 300+ and getting built cause of that.im not knocking those guys tho, they do look good
and are stronger than the avg bber in their class
but most guys, esp at the upper echelon of bbers are moving serious wieght
lb for lb bbers overall are weaker but there is always guys that can hang with lifters

they might not be the strongest in the world, but are not weak by any means
pretty much the cliff notes

Originally Posted by ioRound3

I weigh 130-140, depending on scale and my diet at the time...
I bench 220-250, depends if I am maxing out or 1-3 reps...
I try to avoid maxing out b/c it really doesn't prove anything to me, since I play no sports and I just want to be in shape....

and idk about the person who said they are 6' wiegh 150 and bench 200+...maybe possible but I would definately have to see it to believe it...
WTH are you contradicting yourself here. skinny boy

im 5'10 175 and benched 270 at our football lift-a-thon. people gotta remember some people have their own style of benching which isn't accurate at allsuch as extremely wide grip and throwing your hips up. Benching properly FTW!

i was kinda struggling on the bench today, felt like a niketalker

Same here, just came back.

I've been doing reverse pyramid training lately (start heavy, work your way down to lighter).......starting at 275 was not what's up....only got to do2 1/2 reps.
smh.gif

Just didn't have a good overall workout so I did a lot of cardio/abs today....I guess its because I'm used to early AM workouts and I lifted at 8pmtoday.
grin.gif

when i was into working out i maxed out at 150 lb. at that time i was prolly 140 and about 5' 9 and at the age of 16/17...im 21 now

ive never been a fan of lifting weights.
cardio and ab routine
pimp.gif
:

Originally Posted by Mez 0ne

i was kinda struggling on the bench today, felt like a niketalker

Same here, just came back.

I've been doing reverse pyramid training lately (start heavy, work your way down to lighter).......starting at 275 was not what's up....only got to do 2 1/2 reps.
smh.gif

Just didn't have a good overall workout so I did a lot of cardio/abs today....I guess its because I'm used to early AM workouts and I lifted at 8pm today.
grin.gif
ive never tried this...i just regular pyramid or do like 5x5 type training usually.

ive heard its good for breaking plataeus though, doing a lot of sets of reverse pyramid training

do you do it a lot? any info on it?

btw keep at it, when you get to 3 plates it's a great feeling

I've been messing with 4 sets.....but smaller muscle groups I'll do 3 sets with several different exercises.

Reverse pyramid is brutal though because even though you're going lighter, after starting off heavy your body is really being pushed doing more and morereps.

I can't lift today though, tackle football and full court b-ball yesterday has me
sick.gif
right now.

I do a set of: 8,8,6,15(drop set), 6

I go heaviest on the 1st set in the 15 drop set. I get REAL tired at that point. I dont take but maybe 10 seconds rest after each set. I was cutting beforethis routine, and now Ive been going heavy (starting the 3rd week now). Each week I have added at least 10 pounds to my bench (doing this specific benchroutine only on mondays).

ive never tried this...i just regular pyramid or do like 5x5 type training usually.

ive heard its good for breaking plataeus though, doing a lot of sets of reverse pyramid training

do you do it a lot? any info on it?

btw keep at it, when you get to 3 plates it's a great feeling

Ive been doing rev pyramind sets for a few months now. I love it.

With the way the body is designed, its most effiecnt to work out this way. I dont think ill ever go back to the other forms of lifting (besides straightsets).

I do a set of: 8,8,6,15(drop set), 6

I go heaviest on the 1st set in the 15 drop set. I get REAL tired at that point. I dont take but maybe 10 seconds rest after each set. I was cutting before this routine, and now Ive been going heavy (starting the 3rd week now). Each week I have added at least 10 pounds to my bench (doing this specific bench routine only on mondays).

Huh?

I'm gonna say I max at 325-330

Yesterday went to Max out...

Did 315 three times a week ago...

So did that once to warm up..got it real easy, jumped up to 345 like an idiot and got stuck midway through.. then just decided to do my workout.

Did 270 eight times in my workout.

I haven't maxed out for a while but today at the end of my set I put up 225 six times so I'm guessing that would be around 265, but it was at the endof my set so I might be able to do a little more if I was just trying to max

6'2" 230 lbs

Originally Posted by TrueshotAura

So the average NTer in this thread is 5'5 150 and benches 225?
laugh.gif

laugh.gif
exactly....most of these numbers don't add up in here

I'm 6'1, 187 (can't get 190), I play college basketball and have always been strong on the bench....I haven't maxed in a while( I'm probaround 275-280), but I rep 205lbs. 8times 3sets by myself no spotter. I wanna get 300 before I die tho.
laugh.gif

Back
Top Bottom