How old is your Macbook?!

LOLWAT?? I've been riding out with the same laptop for like 4 years now. Thats the one thing I miss about having your parents buy you things. I would have a new laptop right now
That MacBook from ~2005 got me through a bachelor's and almost 2 master's. It crapped out the final year of the latter master's.

A $2,000 computer working brilliantly for 2 years comes out to less than $100 a month. That won't even get you a nice pair of sneakers nowadays, or roughly that's what you'd spend on a typical Saturday night out on a date or chilling with your friends. If you use it adequately, ie for school, and work...I feel like it's money well spent.

Last edited:
LOL I wanna make it through my second degree with this MacBook. That would be awesome, 7 years and running!

Its from Mid 09- but I bought it early 2010

All I've had done was have the battery replaced and have gone through a few new chargers. Not bad considering I paid 600 of craigslist with the 2 year apple plan. Will probably get a new one next summer and give this one to my Mom or gf

late 2008

put soo many freakin hours on this thing, runs like new.

need a new battery though but im cheap :lol:

LOLWAT?? I've been riding out with the same laptop for like 4 years now. Thats the one thing I miss about having your parents buy you things. I would have a new laptop right now
That MacBook from ~2005 got me through a bachelor's and almost 2 master's. It crapped out the final year of the latter master's.

A $2,000 computer working brilliantly for 2 years comes out to less than $100 a month. That won't even get you a nice pair of sneakers nowadays, or roughly that's what you'd spend on a typical Saturday night out on a date or chilling with your friends. If you use it adequately, ie for school, and work...I feel like it's money well spent.
Makes sense. I was more focused on the two year part, any laptop made past 2005 is good for more than two years. I dont even feel like spending the money on a new one because I have this and its 6 years old

mid-2012. Works great for the most part. Had tiny issues with the unibody and display making noises cuz of loose screws. Brought it in to the Apple Store and got the display replaced now its literally brand new. Seriously never going back to PC.

MBP 13 in. late-2011 model

only problem I ever had is that I had to re-install Mountain Lion because my disk was corrupted last year 
mean.gif

Currently running the 2013 MBA 13" i5/8/256. Joint is buttery smooth and the battery life is phenomenal. I received it on July 15 and I promise I've fully charged it only 6 or 7 times since then. Heck, I got it on Monday and didn't have to charge it until Friday. Crazy.

I had to replace my mid-2010 MBP mainly due to the battery. Other than that though, that MBP was still beasting like it was fresh out the box.

Buying a Mac is $$ well spent, IMO.

Late 2008 13" Macbook (unibody, before they got the 'pro' tag) - freezes every now and then but I still use it as my everyday computer. Battery is pretty much depleted so it's always plugged in. The fact that it's still alive and works under heavy daily use is one reason why I have no intention to go back to Windows.

Mid 2012 15" Macbook Pro - loaded it with 16gb of ram. I use for processing photos, graphic work and playing Starcraft 2. Usually keep it at home since it's pretty damn heavy. Looking to remove the dvd drive and adding an SSD soon.

I've had my white macbook 13" since '09. Its been my primary computer and I've only had to replace the fan once. I'm glad I purchased a macbook back then because its lasted me this whole time with little problems. Its about time to get a new one with more space and a better OS. I dont know if I want to drop that new macbook money right now so im thinking about getting a Sony

Did you ever try to get it fixed? If so how much did they quote you for?
Haven't priced it but I doubt it will be cheap. It overheats and shuts itself off, and for whatever reason the fans don't come on when it starts getting hot. Shame because its a great laptop and I know the fans work, they come on randomly from time to time but but something's definitely wrong.

Late 2008 13" Macbook (unibody, before they got the 'pro' tag) - freezes every now and then but I still use it as my everyday computer. Battery is pretty much depleted so it's always plugged in. The fact that it's still alive and works under heavy daily use is one reason why I have no intention to go back to Windows.

Same here. Had to through in 8GB of ram when i did the lion upgrade. The battery is okay, not depleted yet but when that day comes to really replace it...... View media item 84870 had to shell out $80 on a replacement charger, lost it and found a knockoff charger that still works okay.

Last edited:
I have an early 2011 13 8GB and it is a beast. Hard drive is getting full and I need to do something about in order to avoid performance issues (I think). Probably going to copp a 750 GB hard drive from crucial.com. If anyone knows a place that is cheaper let me know.

But I am happy with it. I honestly do not prefer Mac or PC I just felt like buying a Mac is a better long-term investment

15 in 09 joint runs like butter still.

Next go round I'm gonna get a 15in retina or a suped up 15in pro if they can be had for cheap. I was also thinking about doing a iMac x MBA 13 in combo

Buying a Mac is $$ well spent, IMO.
That's what they want you to think.

Also, you could have just replaced the battery for like $100-$150.

Oh look. It's THAT guy that comes in a Mac thread to poo-poo other's preferences. Don't like Macs? Cool. I do, as do many others. I've been through plenty of PCs overs the years and not a single one of them was running the same 2 years down the road. I didn't have that issue with my MBP. So yes, based on my experiences, they're well worth the money.

And yes, obviously I could've replaced the battery. But I had the money to spend and I wanted to upgrade. Any issue with that?

15 in 09 joint runs like butter still.

Next go round I'm gonna get a 15in retina or a suped up 15in pro if they can be had for cheap. I was also thinking about doing a iMac x MBA 13 in combo

That's what I'm doing. Will probably grab an iMac in the next few weeks, although I'm tempted to wait for the next generation with the upgraded 802.11ac wifi. Perfect combo of at home use for the fam and portability for me when I need it.

Oh look. It's THAT guy that comes in a Mac thread to poo-poo other's preferences. Don't like Macs? Cool. I do, as do many others. I've been through plenty of PCs overs the years and not a single one of them was running the same 2 years down the road. I didn't have that issue with my MBP. So yes, based on my experiences, they're well worth the money.

And yes, obviously I could've replaced the battery. But I had the money to spend and I wanted to upgrade. Any issue with that?
That's what I'm doing. Will probably grab an iMac in the next few weeks, although I'm tempted to wait for the next generation with the upgraded 802.11ac wifi. Perfect combo of at home use for the fam and portability for me when I need it.

Yea I love the 15 inch because 13 is good for portability but 15 is perfect size if your laptop is mainly used at your desk and if you want to take it somewhere every so often. I currently do the 15 in MBP and Ipad Mini combo, but eventually when I go to grad school the iPad while nice wont serve me much purpose. I`m not doing anything crazy so I dont need the highest end models I just make sure I have no less than 8gb ram. I LOVE the 27 inch iMac but economically me getting a suped up 15 in will kill 2 birds with one stone and be cheaper than getting the 27in imac and the 13in MBA.

got a black macbook from early 07 still running strong 
pimp.gif

sucks they don't make black ones any more

For some reason the dudes in my IT dept at work loathe Apple CPUs.

I have a cheap Windows laptop I use for non Mac comparable programs and when I need to run cals on Excel Which seem to come out weird on Mac.

Back
Top Bottom