How/Why Did Plasma HDTV's fall off so much

Personally to me there is not a great difference between a quality plasma and quality lcd tv...just a perference

Was in Walmart today and seen at Samsung 50in Plasma for $650, LCD is $1300

A couple dudes around my was got 50in plasma's for $500-$600

would I be a fool to buy a plasma HDtv now? Or is LCD only option?

Plasmas are slowly dying and being phased out, but I wouldn't say that is enough to stop you from buying one. The picture is a big difference, the contrast ratios on plasmas as well as the greatly improved black levels on plasmas in comparison to LCDs is enough to make Plasmas overall>LCD.

What matters the most is what pleases your eyes. Always remember that.

Funny because I was TV shopping today @ BestBuy to check out an LED and an LCD. I was very close to buying that specific LCD (EX700 LED/EX500 LCD) but the one @ BestBuy was not calibrated at all and was showing a store feed. Needless to say, it turned me off and I looked at other TVs. I came across a Samsung LED (C63/64xx) and it was impressive...walked more and I saw the LG PK550 plasma and I could honestly say I couldn't tell the difference between the two.

I think I'm buying that model soon. For the price, excellent reviews and the
eek.gif
factor in my eyes, there's no doubt it's on top of my list now.

Do your research. Sounds to me you haven't done enough.

You wouldn't be a fool. In fact I think it's a good idea. Plasmas are more reliable nowadays and the picture is super crisp. You're not paying extra for 240hz and LED displays and what not. I'm about to pull the trigger on the new Panasonic Viera.

-lcd is marketed better

-brands that made lcds and plasmas often pushed their lcd sets more

-plasmas had a darker picture so they were always displayed in a dark showroom, which meant less exposure

-lcd screens were more attractive to gamers

-lcds had 1080 resolution at smaller screen sizes

-lcds on the showroom floor are set on scorch picture mode, which wooed people more easily

-people are always afraid of burn-in with plasmas

because plasma was an overrated standard for a short period of time.

it was more expensive at first, and people chose LCD over it, now LCD is in demand, so companies are charging more for LCD because thats what people buy.

plus, isn't LCD cheaper to produce? and isn't plasma almost a waste of money considering how the image can burn into the screen?

excuse my ignorance if im wrong, but those are things i've heard from a bestbuy guy
laugh.gif

true videophiles will tell you (and will swear by it)      Plasma >>> LCD
but in the end.. it came down to: BURN IN 
grin.gif
.. i'd be a plasma owner myself if it wasnt for that. 

Originally Posted by LimitedRetroOG

Pioneer Plasmas are still expensive as hell.
the pioneer elite ones are expensive as hell, but the regular ones were more fair. (deep blacks, but not as great picture quality though)

Originally Posted by axel f0ley

-lcd is marketed better

-plasmas had a darker picture so they were always displayed in a dark showroom, which meant less exposure

-lcds on the showroom floor are set on scorch picture mode, which wooed people more easily

He pretty much hit it on the head. Couldnt have said it better myself. As for me, I copped a 50" Panasonic plasma (TC-P50G20) NO regrets at all. Not even close.

Originally Posted by proper english

true videophiles will tell you (and will swear by it)      Plasma >>> LCD
but in the end.. it came down to: BURN IN 
grin.gif
.. i'd be a plasma owner myself if it wasnt for that. 

this aint 2005.

Image retention is at the lowest level right now that it takes a very good eye to recognize it on the screen.

Originally Posted by ATLien Seeko

-lcd is marketed better

He pretty much hit it on the head. Couldnt have said it better myself. As for me, I copped a 50" Panasonic plasma (TC-P50G20) NO regrets at all. Not even close.
Can someone explain the bolded

Originally Posted by HAM CITY

-lcd is marketed better

basically, lcd sets are set to a blueish picture mode where the colors are pushed heavily and the backlight is high to give a very vivid look.

Originally Posted by HAM CITY

-lcd is marketed better

It means they turn up the brightness, contrast and color all the way high so if you were to stand back and look at all the TVs, the ones with everything blasting like that would stand out more and "look better" to the average consumer.

LED is more energy efficient. that's a huge factor for me. I still haven't bought a flat screen HDTV yet.
embarassed.gif

waiting for them backlit LEDs to come down in price.

its a combination of a few factors. first off plasmas have a bad rep from when they first became available, and despite no longer having a major burn in issue, now having a lifespan that is comprable to LCDs, and improving greatly on energy efficiency, they still have the reputation of energy hogs with short lifespans that burn in easily. and like others have said, LCDs look brighter and more attractive in a stores show room. plasmas have a dimmer display. plasmas also have a much smaller selection of different sizes. the only options for the average consumer are the 42 and 50 (you'll rarely see a 46 and i wouldnt consider a 58 which is a popular plasma size to be manufactured as a size for the "average consumer")

but honestly overall,

Plasmas > LCD

i'd only reccomend LCD if you plan on using your TV as your primary computer monitor where and would constantly have say a start menu up for hours at a time where you might run the risk of burn in, or you have OD glare in your room. even for gaming purposes i'd reccomend plasma though, i've been gaming heavily on 3 plasmas for years with no problem (only getting some image retention on my 2010 samsung plasma which is a little ironic since its my newest one, but i just put on a screen saver built into the tv when i need to.)

so unless you fall into one of those 2 categories, get a plasma. its got deeper blacks due to higher contrast ratios, better on motion for sports/gaming, have about the same life span as an LCD which is long enough for you to wanna throw out before it goes out barring any manufacturer defects, have improved on energy a lot compared to older plasma models (although LED TVs dump on it in terms of energy efficiency but its not too big of an issue imo)

the only time id say to not go plasma either is if you're pockets are deep and you're going for a "sexy" tv in which an ultra thin LED would win in that category. they're super thin with a much brighter color display while maintaining deep blacks, and can look ill when set up with a super flush mount so it stays really close to the wall and brings out its thinness. it gives you the most modern and baller look. it also has the potential to make a girls panties wet when she sees it.

another thing you want to keep in mind is that its best to go to the store and pick what YOU like. yes, on paper plasmas have the best contrasts, best motion processing, and give the most bang for the buck...but in the end theres a reason most people prefer the brighter more vivid color display of an LCD. and honestly since most people do prefer it, the odds are that if you go to a store and check out the TVs you probably will too, since after all you're a person too lol.

Sort of on topic, is 3D a gimmick/fad?

I've got a feeling a whole lot of people are getting fleeced and are going to regret buying these 3D sets in a couple of years.

Back
Top Bottom