How/Why Did Plasma HDTV's fall off so much

You trippin son. High to medium end plasmas are still the $@@%. You can't touch those contrast ratios and the viewing angles they got.

Originally Posted by hella handsome

because plasma was an overrated standard for a short period of time.

it was more expensive at first, and people chose LCD over it, now LCD is in demand, so companies are charging more for LCD because thats what people buy.

plus, isn't LCD cheaper to produce? and isn't plasma almost a waste of money considering how the image can burn into the screen?

excuse my ignorance if im wrong, but those are things i've heard from a bestbuy guy
laugh.gif
I also heard Plasma doesn't do too well at high elevation.  7000' and higher. 

Doesn't affect too many people but still. 
laugh.gif

I have no complaints with my 50" Panasonic Viera plasma. I wouldn't mind purchasing another plasma for the cheap prices they're going for these days.

Can anyone recommend a good bang for the buck 42" Plasma? In the process of decorating my house and the wife is cool with my hanging a 42" in the kitchen but I think she will trip if its any bigger than that. Already got my 52" LCD for the living room, 42" LCD for the bedroom, and a 19" for my bathroom (yes I love TV).

Picture Quality wise, Plasmas flat out obliterate LED and LCD although Local Dimming LED TV's come close now. However, as the owner of a beautiful 63 inch Samsung Plasma, there are a couple things you need to know about Plasmas. First, no matter what anyone tells you, Plasmas have a break in period where they are more susceptible to Ghosting (Short term burn in). Setting the TV to Torch Mode (Maximizing Contrast, brightness, Colors) before about 200 hours of just breaking the TV in isn't such a good idea. Plasmas have natural defenses to remove any Ghosting that occurs during this period, but you'd be better off just keeping the settings turned down for a week or two. Plasmas are also a little more sensitive to Glare with all that Glass so if you live in a spot with all windows, you might want to think twice, although many plasma treat the glass now with Glare resistant coatings.

However, Plasma have one unique quality that LCD's can't touch; After the break in period, the colors get richer. Yes this means that over time your TV will start to improve in picture quality from the best setting you can try and configure when you first get it. In fact, i wouldn't even bother tweaking the picture for a couple weeks. Just wait and watch. LCD's are just now coming to the market in sizes above 55 inches. Like I said, I had a 63inch plasma a year ago and have seen Plasmas in inches up to 80.

Plasmas have much better Blacks than LCD TVs and they don't suffer from the over-hyped 240HZ oversampling LCD sellers keep trying to sell people on that makes your movies look like something out of an episode of the Twilight Zone. LED TV's can give incredible Blacks also because they can simply turn the LED off (nothing Blacker than no color). However, LED TV's are twice as much as many LCD TV's, which are twice as much as most plasmas (You do the math).

Dollar for Dollar, you're fooling yourself if you don't consider getting a plasma. Honestly, they have the best picture available today. LCD's are cool, and LED's are a great stopgap to OLED TV's but don't get caught up in the hype. Buy a plasma and be amazed. Just wait two weeks before you turn the color pallet up full blast.

Picture Quality wise, Plasmas flat out obliterate LED and LCD although Local Dimming LED TV's come close now. However, as the owner of a beautiful 63 inch Samsung Plasma, there are a couple things you need to know about Plasmas. First, no matter what anyone tells you, Plasmas have a break in period where they are more susceptible to Ghosting (Short term burn in). Setting the TV to Torch Mode (Maximizing Contrast, brightness, Colors) before about 200 hours of just breaking the TV in isn't such a good idea. Plasmas have natural defenses to remove any Ghosting that occurs during this period, but you'd be better off just keeping the settings turned down for a week or two. Plasmas are also a little more sensitive to Glare with all that Glass so if you live in a spot with all windows, you might want to think twice, although many plasma treat the glass now with Glare resistant coatings.

However, Plasma have one unique quality that LCD's can't touch; After the break in period, the colors get richer. Yes this means that over time your TV will start to improve in picture quality from the best setting you can try and configure when you first get it. In fact, i wouldn't even bother tweaking the picture for a couple weeks. Just wait and watch. LCD's are just now coming to the market in sizes above 55 inches. Like I said, I had a 63inch plasma a year ago and have seen Plasmas in inches up to 80.

Plasmas have much better Blacks than LCD TVs and they don't suffer from the over-hyped 240HZ oversampling LCD sellers keep trying to sell people on that makes your movies look like something out of an episode of the Twilight Zone. LED TV's can give incredible Blacks also because they can simply turn the LED off (nothing Blacker than no color). However, LED TV's are twice as much as many LCD TV's, which are twice as much as most plasmas (You do the math). If you watch sports or any programming that has a lot of motion, Plasmas Displays are hands down your best option. You can look at any LCD and see the effects of rapid motion.

Dollar for Dollar, you're fooling yourself if you don't consider getting a plasma. Honestly, they have the best picture available today. LCD's are cool, and LED's are a great stopgap to OLED TV's but don't get caught up in the hype. Buy a plasma and be amazed. Just wait two weeks before you turn the color pallet up full blast.

interesting --
http://reviews.cnet.com/g...ech/tv-power-efficiency/
No discussion of TV power use would be complete without a bit of perspective. For households that pay somewhere near the average retail cost for energy--11.55 cents per kilowatt per hour in 2009--and that watch near the average amount per TV--about 5.2 hours per day--the cost to watch a 50-inch 1080p plasma TV is about $64 per year in the calibrated light output mode (see How We Test). The average 52- to 55-inch LCD TV costs about $29 per year for the same light output, and, of course, smaller TVs use less energy. Sure, both electricity costs and average daily TV use are increasing steadily every year; however, those amounts still don't take a major chunk out of most household budgets. According to the Department of Energy, for example, the average refrigerator uses nearly $90 worth of energy per year.
so with an average of a $35 greater cost per year for plasmas...that's about $175 for 5 yrs (given no increases in energy prices) or with a guesstimate.. ~$200 after 5 yrs

Most manufacturers are shying away from Plasma's though...and focusing on LCDs these days

Originally Posted by Mitchellicious

Sort of on topic, is 3D a gimmick/fad?

I've got a feeling a whole lot of people are getting fleeced and are going to regret buying these 3D sets in a couple of years.

I think it's the 3D fad that's going on now, and IMO i think 3D Tv's will die after a few years, just like the HD-DVD's did a few years ago and etc

I'm not buying into the 3d hype so it will be a easy pass for me
glasses.gif

I just got a Samsung 46" LED (6300) and it is a great tv. There is almost no reflection on the screen and the picture quality is right up there with the best I've seen, including Plasmas. People hate the motionplus (soap opera effect) but I love it and it makes the picture so much clearer to me. I'm no expert in televisions but to my personal experience, LED/LCD > Plasma with overall picture quality.

Originally Posted by The Maverick 41

I've got a feeling a whole lot of people are getting fleeced and are going to regret buying these 3D sets in a couple of years.

I think it's the 3D fad that's going on now, and IMO i think 3D Tv's will die after a few years, just like the HD-DVD's did a few years ago and etc

glasses.gif

- so let me get this straight? are you saying HD-DVD was just a fad that subsequently died out?

Originally Posted by seasoned vet

glasses.gif

- so let me get this straight? are you saying HD-DVD was just a fad that subsequently died out?

yeah... plus Blu Ray finished it off

glasses.gif

yeah... plus Blu Ray finished it off

- in all honesty....no disrespect, but its comments like these that show why NT is the last place to get reliable information on consumer electronics (especially tv's).

- HD-DVD wasnt a 'fad', not even in the least bit. HD-DVD was nothing more than a format invented to help deliver High Definition content to the consumer, with hopes of becoming the standard. how one can take that and turn it into some sort of fashionable thing to own HD-DVD's is strange. the fad trend or craze had nothing to do with the type of disc or format, if there was a fad trend or craze it would be in the high definition content on the discs, and last time i checked high definition content is still offered on Blu-Ray discs and online.

NT is the absolute worst place to get reliable information on electronics
yeah, and you've contributed nothing we didn't already know.
indifferent.gif

we're gettin off topic fellas.

back on track... can anyone recommend me a good bang for the buck 42" Plasma? 720P is fine cause its going to be my kitchen TV and wont be playin any games or watching blurays on it or anything
smile.gif

Originally Posted by Mojodmonky1

back on track... can anyone recommend me a good bang for the buck 42" Plasma? 720P is fine cause its going to be my kitchen TV and wont be playin any games or watching blurays on it or anything
smile.gif
As far as bang for the buck, I would look at the Panasonic Viera series.  They're not too fancy, but have outstanding picture quality.  I've got one and we love it.  You should be able to find a 720p model for under $500, less if you go to a haggle-allowing store (HH Gregg, etc.) or if you find a deal on last year's model or a special offer (see my post last page, got mine for about $300 when all said and done).

LG makes good plasmas that are affordable as well.  There may be more, but I've had personal experience with these two brands.

The only thing I would mention is if your kitchen has tons of light coming in, the glare and brightness may bother you on a plasma.  Ours is in our tv room, so glare and ambient light isn't an issue.  But that would all depend on how you position the tv and where the light comes in from.

I've got a 60 inch LG plasma and it's incredible.

Couldn't be happier with my purchase. Copped it for $1800 in December and since then the same set has gone up in price until the past couple of weeks ($1700 now). I have absolutely no regrets for getting a plasma over an LCD.

More size and better picture FTW.

Originally Posted by larrivee7

Originally Posted by Mojodmonky1

smile.gif
As far as bang for the buck, I would look at the Panasonic Viera series.  They're not too fancy, but have outstanding picture quality.  I've got one and we love it.  You should be able to find a 720p model for under $500, less if you go to a haggle-allowing store (HH Gregg, etc.) or if you find a deal on last year's model or a special offer (see my post last page, got mine for about $300 when all said and done).

LG makes good plasmas that are affordable as well.  There may be more, but I've had personal experience with these two brands.

The only thing I would mention is if your kitchen has tons of light coming in, the glare and brightness may bother you on a plasma.  Ours is in our tv room, so glare and ambient light isn't an issue.  But that would all depend on how you position the tv and where the light comes in from.

whatever developer designed my place is a friggin moron and my kitchen gets virtually no natural light (built smack dab in the middle of the entire place).  do you have any glare issues from overhead light fixtures, or is it mostly sunlight that causes the problem? 

^ Gotcha, haha.  Mostly sunlight, but it all depends on the height of the ceiling versus the height and angle of your TV placement.  My TV room only has one window so glare isn't bad from natural light.  It's kinda hard for me to compare directly because my room is a dedicated theater room, so the walls are dark, the ceiling's blacked out, and I only use floor lamps that diffuse the light somewhat (never use my overhead light).  But in general, you shouldn't have much trouble from normal light fixtures.  Even flourescents shouldn't cause much of a problem unless the TV is positioned in the exact wrong spot.  Just put the TV in an area where it gets the least amount of direct light possible hitting it.

One thing that hasn't been mentioned here. The Panasonic Plasmas are very very reliable. One of the most reliable plasmas out there. So when taking into account picture, price, and reliability, the Panasonic Plasmas give you the most bang for your buck.

I own a 50 inch Panasonic. My pops owns two 50 inch Panasonics. No problems whatsoever.

Back
Top Bottom