How/Why Did Plasma HDTV's fall off so much

The King of HDTVs is still a plasma but they don't make them anymore.

Most LED TVs that are fully back lit (not edge lit) with Local Dimming have matched the deep blacks and colors that Plasmas where once praised for. Its only a matter of time before the Plasmas are gone.

Originally Posted by axel f0ley

-lcd is marketed better

-brands that made lcds and plasmas often pushed their lcd sets more

-plasmas had a darker picture so they were always displayed in a dark showroom, which meant less exposure

-lcd screens were more attractive to gamers

-lcds had 1080 resolution at smaller screen sizes

-lcds on the showroom floor are set on scorch picture mode, which wooed people more easily

-people are always afraid of burn-in with plasmas

co-sign. This sums it up perfectly

Originally Posted by Its That Dude

LED is more energy efficient. that's a huge factor for me. I still haven't bought a flat screen HDTV yet.
embarassed.gif

waiting for them backlit LEDs to come down in price.
I haven't either...
smh.gif
at myself for living in the stone age.

Originally Posted by Chicagos Finest 23

Most LED TVs that are fully back lit (not edge lit) with Local Dimming have matched the deep blacks and colors that Plasmas where once praised for. Its only a matter of time before the Plasmas are gone.

Wrong and Wrong..

Plasma's are still being produced by Samsung, Panasonic, LG, and you can even still find a few pioneer Elite's around in some showrooms.. Those are just the major players.

Most LEDs ARE NOT fully backlit the vast majority, i'd say 90%+ are edge lit aside from 1 or 2 models in Samsung, and LGs lineup.

Y'all can let your family members, or friends, or even uninformed salesmen try to sell you on LCD/LED, but anyone in the know, knows that plasma is still superior.

I think 3D technology is trash, period whether its on a plasma or LCD/LED. Just my opinion..

I had a plasma and what I noticed is that it would drain power and ghosting would piss me off. My LCD seems to be more worry free.

Originally Posted by lilpro4u

Wrong and Wrong..

Plasma's are still being produced by Samsung, Panasonic, LG, and you can even still find a few pioneer Elite's around in some showrooms.. Those are just the major players.

Most LEDs ARE NOT fully backlit the vast majority, i'd say 90%+ are edge lit aside from 1 or 2 models in Samsung, and LGs lineup.

Y'all can let your family members, or friends, or even uninformed salesmen try to sell you on LCD/LED, but anyone in the know, knows that plasma is still superior.

I think 3D technology is trash, period whether its on a plasma or LCD/LED. Just my opinion..

Plasma does have superior black levels but there is extra care in using a Plasma. That reason alone made me go with a LCD. LCD isn't bad if you are willing to spend money on it. My Samsung LN52A650 is >* to me even though it is old now

Im talking about the Pioneer "the king" they don't make it anymore

I got a samsung B8500 back lit and it doesn't compare to the new led edge lit 3d tvs in pic quality. New led tvs are sacrificing picture quality over the 3d gimmick.

Can't wait to see what OLED tvs bring to the table.

Good toppic I been thinkin bout capping a 50 inch plasma from bestbuy I think this thread may have taught me what to look for next time I'm in there

CRT Rear Projection TVs(too bad these are not made anymore because of its massive size)>Plasma>DLP>LCD

Once OLED drops, it will surpass Plasma.

Originally Posted by lilpro4u

Wrong and Wrong..

x2

waiting for them backlit LEDs to come down in price.

What are you waiting for?

http://alatest.com/redire...=315407416&p=plowest

I was thinking of buying this model but the price is still relatively high in Canada. For 1058 that's a bargain for a well reviewed TV. It was one of LGs top of the line models last year.

the only time id say to not go plasma either is if you're pockets are deep and you're going for a "sexy" tv in which an ultra thin LED would win in that category.

LGPK550 is 2.5cm or .9 inches
happy.gif

Originally Posted by nYcHipHopHippo

its a combination of a few factors. first off plasmas have a bad rep from when they first became available, and despite no longer having a major burn in issue, now having a lifespan that is comprable to LCDs, and improving greatly on energy efficiency, they still have the reputation of energy hogs with short lifespans that burn in easily. and like others have said, LCDs look brighter and more attractive in a stores show room. plasmas have a dimmer display. plasmas also have a much smaller selection of different sizes. the only options for the average consumer are the 42 and 50 (you'll rarely see a 46 and i wouldnt consider a 58 which is a popular plasma size to be manufactured as a size for the "average consumer")

but honestly overall,

Plasmas > LCD

i'd only reccomend LCD if you plan on using your TV as your primary computer monitor where and would constantly have say a start menu up for hours at a time where you might run the risk of burn in, or you have OD glare in your room. even for gaming purposes i'd reccomend plasma though, i've been gaming heavily on 3 plasmas for years with no problem (only getting some image retention on my 2010 samsung plasma which is a little ironic since its my newest one, but i just put on a screen saver built into the tv when i need to.)

so unless you fall into one of those 2 categories, get a plasma. its got deeper blacks due to higher contrast ratios, better on motion for sports/gaming, have about the same life span as an LCD which is long enough for you to wanna throw out before it goes out barring any manufacturer defects, have improved on energy a lot compared to older plasma models (although LED TVs dump on it in terms of energy efficiency but its not too big of an issue imo)

the only time id say to not go plasma either is if you're pockets are deep and you're going for a "sexy" tv in which an ultra thin LED would win in that category. they're super thin with a much brighter color display while maintaining deep blacks, and can look ill when set up with a super flush mount so it stays really close to the wall and brings out its thinness. it gives you the most modern and baller look. it also has the potential to make a girls panties wet when she sees it.

another thing you want to keep in mind is that its best to go to the store and pick what YOU like. yes, on paper plasmas have the best contrasts, best motion processing, and give the most bang for the buck...but in the end theres a reason most people prefer the brighter more vivid color display of an LCD. and honestly since most people do prefer it, the odds are that if you go to a store and check out the TVs you probably will too, since after all you're a person too lol.

THIS.  All of it, thank you.  People still associate plasmas with the first ones that came out years ago.  Burn-in is not an issue anymore, and they consume about the same energy as most LCDs.   

Bottom line is, plasma looks more film-like and has better black levels for movies.  Plasma is amazing for sports.  Plasma has 600Hz native, and LCDs boast about 120/240 Hz
grin.gif

And who needs 1080p in small screen sizes
eyes.gif
.  Anything less than a 50 inch, and you won't see any benefit to 1080p anyway.  Check this out, nice information about what the human eye can actually detect when it comes to resolution:

Click here

resolution_chart.png

So basically for a 40 or 42 inch set, you have to be sitting about 5 feet or closer to see the benefit of 1080p.  At the distance most people sit, you don't even get the full effect of 720p.  For the same money, you'd be better off getting a 720p plasma with really good specs (from Panasonic, LG, etc.) than a LCD from a mediocre brand with 1080p.

Plasma is VALUEEEE at this point. And many times id take it over LCD if it was the same cost.

ea625f9e9159f925c23e1cac3e4311ccc2f63b2.jpg

1cb3506eeae65d9d9a4ecb6ae155590f1a30040.jpg

3d2353c0eb4b5d2a94efcbc2eb89f21edb7d027.jpg

Plasma still > LCD for me.

they are both good.

only thing is

plasma = for basements
LCD = everywhere else

that glare is annoying and that's why it's recommended for dark rooms.

My 46" LED LCD is just fine. Samsung btw, I think it's like 1.2 inches or something but in the end it all about how you set it. I honestly have zero interest in a 3D. I'm fine with my HD.

I have a 50inch LG plasma i got at best buy almost two years ago,bought the 4 year warranty that covers everything so I know my plasma is good for atleast 4 years and by then Ill want something new but I havent had any problem with burn ins and the TV looks just as good as the day I bought it,especially since I left the stickers on,lol,my gf hates the stickers.

As far as most bang for your buck, I recommend Panasonic Viera plasmas.  You can routinely find a 42" 720p for around 500.  1080p for 700 or less. 

Also keep an eye out for deals and special offers.  I got my 720p Viera plasma at Christmas in a BestBuy bundle.  Bought gift cards for BB from Kroger (ran a $10 of every $100 special).  Sold the xbox and games that came with it.  Ended up having my TV for about $300
pimp.gif
.  Also, places like HH Gregg have some wiggle room on the price, especially if you are buying a blu-ray player or something as well.

And finally, the most important part of any tv thread:          Don't get ripped off by buying a $80 monster HDMI cable.  BUY ALL YOUR CABLES FROM MONOPRICE.COM!!!!! 
pimp.gif
pimp.gif

Seriously.

.........FTR, NT is the absolute worst place to get reliable information on electronics, especially TV's (aside from the new car audio thread done by Monday Night). 

- im
laugh.gif
 @ the comment of LCD's being marketed better. marketing has nothing to do with it. years ago plasmas gained alot of steam due to the viewing angle issues of early LCD's. not only did plasmas have wider viewing angles but the also were able to produce much deeper blacks than LCD's back then. the only problem was burn in.....
(if it had anything to do with marketing how do you explain multiple manufacturers having lineups of both plasma and LCD over the years?)

- fast forward to a few years ago, the burn in issues with plasma is pretty much a non-factor. however plasmas also lost the monopoly on wider viewing angles and deeper blacks. performance wise between LCD and Plasma, its pretty much a wash for the average 'i just want a tv' consumer. there are still advantges/disadvantages between the two but the margins are so small it really only matters to videophiles (like me).

- the lower prices you're seeing now is not an indication of Plasmas going out per say, its an indication of TV's settling down to a more affordable price and manufacturers making room for the new LED and 3D TV's coming down the pike.

- and for those of you looking for LED's right now id wait. sure its here, and its relatively affordable, but the technology isnt 'here' yet. look up a few reviews and comparisons on avsforum, you'll see that what they are putting out now as LED's is either an inferior product compared to the LCD's and Plasma's currently on the market or not a 'true LED' (an LCD with LED backlighting branded a LED). give it another 2 or more years. right now LED TV's are just good for the 'wow! look how thin it is' factor. and last time i checked being thin had nothing to do with picture quality. 

....oh and if you think LED is nice wait until OLED really gets going. thing are really about to get stupid
sick.gif
pimp.gif

2ac359d2eaa46993ddb74d8c63cfc06f9d8879c.pjpg

72535376e47e6e54d503452c643955557db1f84.pjpg

- technological advances across the board are about to explode and im glad ill be alive to see it. we are now in a time where technological advances in consumer electronics are about to come at an exponential rate. give it another 10-20 years and we will have surpassed marty mcfly minus the flying cars.

I always liked plasma more, i have 1 plasma and 2 lcds and I prefer to watch games on the plasma.....

Im lookin at coppin a 63 inch plasma 3dtv for about 3500, someone school me on 3d tv tho, i know there are 3d blue rays and you need a special new player for them, but will there be full 3d channels, and will regular 2d channels look that much diff on a 3d tv?

Back
Top Bottom