How/Why Did Plasma HDTV's fall off so much

Originally Posted by cguy610

One thing that hasn't been mentioned here. The Panasonic Plasmas are very very reliable. One of the most reliable plasmas out there. So when taking into account picture, price, and reliability, the Panasonic Plasmas give you the most bang for your buck.

I own a 50 inch Panasonic. My pops owns two 50 inch Panasonics. No problems whatsoever.

Back then certain panasonic plasma's actually used the same panel as the pioneer plasmas.

Real off topic but I want some input before I do something stupid. I'm looking to buy the Samsung LN40C630, and I want to mount it on my wall which is probably concrete or brick. I'm kind of afraid to mount it because I'm afraid that the concrete might crack or become brittle and I'm gonna find my TV on the floor. Any of you know how secure it is to mount it on concrete/brick, any tips?

nerd.gif

I think plasma has much better picture quality then LCD. My dad recently copped a 58 inch Samsung plasma and that thing is
eek.gif
. Makes my 40 inch lcd look like crap, picture wise. Everyone fell into the plasma has burn in scare and that made people stray towards lcd. But its 2010 now, burn in is non existent and if anything you would maybe get some image retention but thats easily curable, unlike burn in. As far as size and picture quality plasma can't be beat. My dad payed $1500 for the 58 inch similar sized lcd or led would run easily over 2 grand.

Burn in and lifespan.

Both of which are non-issues now. So the real question is: why are the majority of consumers still drawn to a more expensive and inferior product? It absolutely boggles the mind. I had the 42" Samsung LED @home for a month and I returned it for a 50" plasma. LCDs are getting better w/things like sports and scrolling marquees but they're still not up to par w/a 1080p plasma. The only reasons left to buy LCD > plasma are heat, energy and glare. So it makes sense for sports bars to have LCDs. And it makes sense for you to own a plasma and not watch it for 16 hours/day.

Originally Posted by BgL2687

Originally Posted by cguy610

One thing that hasn't been mentioned here. The Panasonic Plasmas are very very reliable. One of the most reliable plasmas out there. So when taking into account picture, price, and reliability, the Panasonic Plasmas give you the most bang for your buck.

I own a 50 inch Panasonic. My pops owns two 50 inch Panasonics. No problems whatsoever.

Back then certain panasonic plasma's actually used the same panel as the pioneer plasmas.

yeah and panasonic bought pioneers plasma manufacturing plant and technology so expect to see much better panels for cheaper soon.

as with any T.V. technology...there are problems.

Plasmas= burn-in, buzzing, flicker

LCD-LED= blooming.

Perhaps you guys could give me some advice and/or clarity:

My TV use is relatively limited. I rarely watch/use my TV for more than five hours at a time--and that's only on the weekends. I play MW2, have a computer hooked up to it (that I rarely use unless it is to watch a streaming movie online), and the rest of it is just typical TV watching.

How easily does the burn-in--that I'm reading isn't too much of an issue, now--occur?
Is the amount of heat generated by a plasma ridiculous compared to the old school projector HDTVs (what I'm still using)?
What's the general life span to expect for a Plasma?

Thanks! I don't trust going to the store and asking a salesmen... especially after reading the "post things you know that we don't because of your job" thread.

Originally Posted by Russ tha G

Perhaps you guys could give me some advice and/or clarity:

My TV use is relatively limited. I rarely watch/use my TV for more than five hours at a time--and that's only on the weekends. I play MW2, have a computer hooked up to it (that I rarely use unless it is to watch a streaming movie online), and the rest of it is just typical TV watching.

How easily does the burn-in--that I'm reading isn't too much of an issue, now--occur?
Is the amount of heat generated by a plasma ridiculous compared to the old school projector HDTVs (what I'm still using)?
What's the general life span to expect for a Plasma?

Thanks! I don't trust going to the store and asking a salesmen... especially after reading the "post things you know that we don't because of your job" thread.
I bought the LG 50PK550 last Saturday  and I just noticed IR the 1st 2 days and right now I'm watching the World Cup and there's no IR at all...or at least discernible to the human eye.

seriously and AGAIN, I would not be concerned about IR. We're in 2010.

Back
Top Bottom