HP Touchpad for $99/$149

[h1]http://www.gottabemobile.com/2011/08/18/dont-buy-a-hp-touchpad-pre-or-veer-no-matter-how-cheap/[/h1]
[h1]Don’t Buy a HP TouchPad, Pre or Veer — No Matter How Cheap[/h1]
Posted by Kevin | 08/18/2011 | http:///www.gottabemobile.com/?p=66683">http://www.gottabemobile.com/?p=66683" href="http://www.gottabemobile.com/2011/0...re-or-veer-no-matter-how-cheap/#disqus_thread" rel="bookmark" title="Comments for Don’t Buy a HP TouchPad, Pre or Veer — No Matter How Cheap">7 Comments and 8 Reactions

The shot heard ’round the tablet world today came from HP, at least for this week, as they ceased production of WebOS devices entirely.

As a result you may begin to see steep discounts on the many WebOS devices already in stores as they try to unload a dead product.

Don’t be fooled. Do not buy an HP TouchPad or any WebOS phone no matter how sweet the deal might look. You would be buying into dead ecosystem because tablets are far less about the hardware and more about the apps.

You wouldn’t buy a dead rose-bush at the florist, so don’t bother with a dead tablet or smart phone either.

Going forward only the most extreme and ardent fans will develop apps for the TouchPad. Yeah, both of them. Kidding aside, there were not a lot of developers on board anyway. Those that did adopt WebOS will surely be jumping ship with this news. Without apps, the platform is dead. This is especially sad because WebOS was shut down before it ever really got going.

hp-touchpad-Google-Images-300x2181.jpg

In addition to avoiding the HP TouchPad, you should also avoid the Veer and the Pre. This may not be a big issue, since neither phone was much of a looker. As attractive as I thought the TouchPad was, looking at the Veer made me cringe. The Pre was a little more attractive, but still not something I’d ever have wanted. Customers agreed.

Expect to see huge discounts like TouchPads for $299 or lower. Expect free Veer and Pre smart phones. With a two-year contract you will be stuck for a long time with a device that will never get any better and may have little support even from the manufacturer.

If you are not enamored with the iPad, two good alternatives are the Samsung Galaxy 10.1″ Android tablet and the ASUS Eee Pad Transformer, both of which should have support for the foreseeable future as Android devices. Even if Samsung and ASUS pulled an HP with their support of these tablets, you will be able to get apps for years to come to keep them fresh and useful.

Update: The Veer, TouchPad and Pre will be killed off in Q4 2011.

Man, !%+* apps, I'll cop just to surf the web & *$#!. I'll cop a iPad for the apps 
pimp.gif

Just put the order thru on officedepot and select store pickup with cash payment...it shows up at full price when u checkout, but im bringing a printout of their homepage with the $149 ad

Now im just waiting if Staples is going to honor this lol. Don't wanna drive down to officedepot for it

Why you need 4? I woke up family ready to purchase one at samsclub. Price showed up at old retail, and then changed instantly. I was right there.

Not meant to be I guess... Good luck reselling. Amazon is down to $225 as well.. It's gonna drop below $100 I bet

i got 2 for me n 2 for my boy. gonna keep one n ship one out to guatemala to one of my cousins. it's a cool toy for $100. if i don't like it i'll sell it.

i added mine to cart and kept refreshing til it got to $99. then updated quantity and checked out.

i plan to cop at a store tomorrow, can anyone confirm which stores will have them at the discounted price?

well walmart in-store here hasn't dropped their price yet.

I'll go out tomorrow and see what happens while I contemplate getting the retro 5s, if I find one I'll get it...if not then I save the money I didn't intend spending this weekend anyway. No tablet out fits my needs, but for $99 I can sure get by(they better add that editing feature for quickoffice though) that's going to piss me off in the meantime.

man, if sams club online had it on sale then surely they would have it in-store.

gonna have to swing by in the morning

Originally Posted by GoldenTicket21

So Bestbuy shipped all theirs back to HP? No point in going there if that is true.

really?...
frown.gif

Time to read up on this office depot policy real quick for returns

Back
Top Bottom