HUARACHE LE RETRO 30th anniversary release this year???

Can't really argue with either of these
huarache.jpg

Random thought, but been meaning to say this for quite some time as someone who loved the Huaraches from day 1 when they arrived in '92: I find it interesting how Nike pretty much walked away from the Huarache name relatively quickly after the OG line debuted ... but in reality it continued the concept, all the way through today. (And yes, I know Nike here and there has slapped the name on a few things over the years, but not as a truly ongoing line.)

The AM93 is literally the OG Huarache runner upper with an Air Max sole, while slightly revising the ankle collar and ditching the plastic heel counter/stabilizer. The Presto is the Huarache concept taken to the literal extreme of Tinker's original idea: a neoprene booty with a sole on it and a minimal plastic support cage for the upper. The list goes on and on.

Today, you can see a lot of Huarache influence in the way knit uppers and sock-like ankle collars are engineered and constructed. Hell, the original Flywire concept was an extension of the thinking behind Huaraches. Anyway, it's of no consequence, but to a Huarache "OG" like me, I've always wished Nike kept the name as one of its flagship marketing lines. I guess someone a long time ago decided "Huarache" wasn't as marketable as things like "Air Max" and "Flight" and "Force." But even taking retro releases out of it, Huarache never died and instead actually became and remains a backbone of Nike's shoes.

Random thought, but been meaning to say this for quite some time as someone who loved the Huaraches from day 1 when they arrived in '92: I find it interesting how Nike pretty much walked away from the Huarache name relatively quickly after the OG line debuted ... but in reality it continued the concept, all the way through today. (And yes, I know Nike here and there has slapped the name on a few things over the years, but not as a truly ongoing line.)

The AM93 is literally the OG Huarache runner upper with an Air Max sole, while slightly revising the ankle collar and ditching the plastic heel counter/stabilizer. The Presto is the Huarache concept taken to the literal extreme of Tinker's original idea: a neoprene booty with a sole on it and a minimal plastic support cage for the upper. The list goes on and on.

Today, you can see a lot of Huarache influence in the way knit uppers and sock-like ankle collars are engineered and constructed. Hell, the original Flywire concept was an extension of the thinking behind Huaraches. Anyway, it's of no consequence, but to a Huarache "OG" like me, I've always wished Nike kept the name as one of its flagship marketing lines. I guess someone a long time ago decided "Huarache" wasn't as marketable as things like "Air Max" and "Flight" and "Force." But even taking retro releases out of it, Huarache never died and instead actually became and remains a backbone of Nike's shoes.

I had the Huarache Plus (with the locking strap) and I saw a few years ago Nike brought back the Huarache International but they didn't push the full retro, only the solid colors for 2 pairs overseas. I always liked the Internationals and wish they bring them out too.

Shape on the Scream Greens is looking extra nice. Hopefully there will be more than enough to go around because I’ll be needing 3 pairs minimum lol. Was going to pull the trigger on the 2000 retro and have them reglued but I am glad I waited.

I've wondered this my entire life. In the early 90s most of the Huaraches were a hit around my way so I thought they were a success everywhere. That's what made me wonder why they didn't truly continue the line.

And yes you could see the Huarache in future Nikes that had the inner-sock or other stuff like that. But they didn't truly make a line with the name.

I've wondered this my entire life. In the early 90s most of the Huaraches were a hit around my way so I thought they were a success everywhere. That's what made me wonder why they didn't truly continue the line.

And yes you could see the Huarache in future Nikes that had the inner-sock or other stuff like that. But they didn't truly make a line with the name.
I wouldn't be surprised to find out it really was just down to the name being viewed as less marketable than other options. How many people looked at the letters "HUARACHE" and even knew how to pronounce it, let alone understood the meaning behind it? This is all complete conjecture on my part, obviously, but it almost had to be something like that, since they didn't actually abandon the style of shoe itself.

Last edited:
Stussys arrived today and WOW Nike nailed the shape. Makes me wonder why they don’t just get it right for every damn retro. :lol:

Super excited for the Scream Greens now that I’ve seen the corrected shape in the flesh. This is what they always should’ve been!

Stussys arrived today and WOW Nike nailed the shape. Makes me wonder why they don’t just get it right for every damn retro. :lol:

Super excited for the Scream Greens now that I’ve seen the corrected shape in the flesh. This is what they always should’ve been!

Thats good to hear

Now I just wish we could get some more solid news about when the SG's and other OG colors are gonna start dropping stateside. Releases have been so weird this past year

I wouldn't be surprised to find out it really was just down to the name being viewed as less marketable than other options. How many people looked at the letters "HUARACHE" and even knew how to pronounce it, let alone understood the meaning behind it? This is all complete conjecture on my part, obviously, but it almost had to be something like that, since they didn't actually abandon the style of shoe itself.
It’s gotta be the name…I remember I asked my mom for some back in the day but she got discombobulated and the salesman convinced her I said “Tai Chis” :smh:

Edit: I also have no idea how to pronounce it. I pronounce it “hor-rash-ee”. Probably why I ended up with and 1s

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom