I HATE YUKU

i say we should say "eff it" and just jump to a new platform. just archive the threads and start everything anew.

i say we should say "eff it" and just jump to a new platform. just archive the threads and start everything anew.

That's very much a possibility.  NikeTalk.yuku.com could simply serve as an archive and a means of account validation - however inefficient.  It's nobody's first choice, but, then, neither is the status quo.  

I can't comment on negotiations in progress for obvious reasons - and, unfortunately, that means I have to keep saying the same thing whether we're 2 years away or 2 weeks away.  People can make whatever snide comments they want about the perceived lack of progress.  It's no exaggeration, however, to say that this is something we've been working on literally every day for several months now.  

I'm here every day.  I see the same problems you do.  Nobody's more frustrated by this than I am and nobody's going to work harder to fix it.  This community represents 12 years of my life.  Do you really think I'm going to watch it fall apart if there's anything at all I can do about it?  

Yuku does not own NikeTalk.  Either they can be part of our solution, or the solution will be our parting.  

Meth, we moved to Yuku, what, 4 years ago? And for ~3 of those years Yuku has been having issues. I don't think there's any question anymore about the need to move regardless of what Yuku does or doesn't improve in the future.

I know that, from the end user perspective, it's all been the same - but Yuku has changed hands several times and each ownership group has been different.  

We were actually on the verge of leaving a couple of years ago, when the group that owned Yuku pretty much since the ezboard rebrand sold the company.  That new ownership group sought to invest heavily in the platform and infuse it with an intriguing semantic recognition technology.  They even put their money where their mouths were and essentially hosted the site for free as they worked to deliver our key feature requests, to offset the opportunity expenses we incurred by sticking around.  In hindsight, obviously it didn't work out - as that company, which was flush with venture capital at the time of the acquisition, managed to blow it all in short order.

HOWEVER, it was during this time that Yuku managed to recover from many of its technical ills.  We finally moved away from the horrendous old ezboard colo to the Amazon cloud.  That DID solve the server lag / time skipping issue - until the new owners, who bought the network for a song, decided to start cutting costs. 

To the end user, it just looks like the same old song and dance - but it's like a sports team that's changed owners multiple times.  If you were a Knicks fan, don't you think you'd have new hope if Dolan sold the team?  Yes, the new owner would inherit some major challenges, but you'd probably give them a chance before hopping on the Heat bandwagon, wouldn't you?  

We gave each group a chance and demonstrated our loyalty.  

Perhaps it's time we took our collective talents someplace else.

I've been studying web development a little, and I really do understand what you mean, but competition and real pressure always seems to bring change. I'm excited to see what the future has in store for NT, but time doesnt wait.

Time doesn't wait - and anyone attempting to come up with a quick "competitor" to capitalize on our server woes had better not expect NikeTalk to stand still in the interim.  

If we've proven nothing else over the years, I hope people realize that we've refused to take the quick and easy road.  ALL of our community's success has come from satisfying our users.  We don't advertise.  We don't exploit people.  We don't profiteer.  

Change doesn't come cheap. 

That we've donated our site's earnings has left us with fewer assets to leverage toward a dramatic redesign - but everything we've built to date has been financed with little more than sweat equity.  We're pretty resourceful around here, and we're fighting hard to turn things around WITHOUT selling out and sacrificing the site's integrity.  

Originally Posted by Method Man

I'm here every day.  I see the same problems you do.  Nobody's more frustrated by this than I am and nobody's going to work harder to fix it.  This community represents 12 years of my life.  Do you really think I'm going to watch it fall apart if there's anything at all I can do about it?

This makes total sense to not want to lose a 12 year investment and serves as confirmation, for me at least, that something will be done. I couldn't imagine the pressure and somewhat obligation to explain this time upon time again, and I commend you for it dude. If anything, it should serve as a learning experience for the entire community.

If we've proven nothing else over the years, I hope people realize that we've refused to take the quick and easy road. ALL of our community's success has come from satisfying our users. We don't advertise. We don't exploit people. We don't profiteer.

Respect

Damn, We moved to Yuku 4 years ago?
I'm getting +$!#@*% old man..
30t6p3b.gif

That's very much a possibility.  NikeTalk.yuku.com could simply serve as an archive and a means of account validation - however inefficient.  It's nobody's first choice, but, then, neither is the status quo.  

I can't comment on negotiations in progress for obvious reasons - and, unfortunately, that means I have to keep saying the same thing whether we're 2 years away or 2 weeks away.  People can make whatever snide comments they want about the perceived lack of progress.  It's no exaggeration, however, to say that this is something we've been working on literally every day for several months now.  

Yuku does not own NikeTalk.  Either they can be part of our solution, or the solution will be our parting.  

Meth, we moved to Yuku, what, 4 years ago? And for ~3 of those years Yuku has been having issues. I don't think there's any question anymore about the need to move regardless of what Yuku does or doesn't improve in the future.

I know that, from the end user perspective, it's all been the same - but Yuku has changed hands several times and each ownership group has been different.  

We were actually on the verge of leaving a couple of years ago, when the group that owned Yuku pretty much since the ezboard rebrand sold the company.  That new ownership group sought to invest heavily in the platform and infuse it with an intriguing semantic recognition technology.  They even put their money where their mouths were and essentially hosted the site for free as they worked to deliver our key feature requests, to offset the opportunity expenses we incurred by sticking around.  In hindsight, obviously it didn't work out - as that company, which was flush with venture capital at the time of the acquisition, managed to blow it all in short order.

HOWEVER, it was during this time that Yuku managed to recover from many of its technical ills.  We finally moved away from the horrendous old ezboard colo to the Amazon cloud.  That DID solve the server lag / time skipping issue - until the new owners, who bought the network for a song, decided to start cutting costs. 

To the end user, it just looks like the same old song and dance - but it's like a sports team that's changed owners multiple times.  If you were a Knicks fan, don't you think you'd have new hope if Dolan sold the team?  Yes, the new owner would inherit some major challenges, but you'd probably give them a chance before hopping on the Heat bandwagon, wouldn't you?  

We gave each group a chance and demonstrated our loyalty.  

I've been studying web development a little, and I really do understand what you mean, but competition and real pressure always seems to bring change. I'm excited to see what the future has in store for NT, but time doesnt wait.

Time doesn't wait - and anyone attempting to come up with a quick "competitor" to capitalize on our server woes had better not expect NikeTalk to stand still in the interim.  

If we've proven nothing else over the years, I hope people realize that we've refused to take the quick and easy road.  ALL of our community's success has come from satisfying our users.  We don't advertise.  We don't exploit people.  We don't profiteer.  

Change doesn't come cheap. 

That we've donated our site's earnings has left us with fewer assets to leverage toward a dramatic redesign - but everything we've built to date has been financed with little more than sweat equity.  We're pretty resourceful around here, and we're fighting hard to turn things around WITHOUT selling out and sacrificing the site's integrity.  

Yo Meth as a NIKETALK LEGEND im here to help you out dogg!

Not that it's a burning issue, but can I get a badge for 10+ years on NT?

A gold watch is cool too.

lebron-james-decision.jpg

Thanks for the explanation, Meth. I didn't realize there had been so much turnover within Yuku.

Migrating would be a nightmare, but I think after the first couple weeks people wouldn't even notice or care about the lack of archived topics.

I know it's slightly petty but it would be nice to maintain post counts and/or join dates. My suggestion would be that we set-up a system where people donate (like with the Japan relief effort) and in exchange a mod or admin manually adjust their post count/join date on the new server (assuming we have that functionality). It would be a way to reduce some of the angst associated with moving while also raising money for a good cause. It could also go towards the cost of migrating NT. I could see a few hundred of us giving $10-20 each for that.

You could get a forum scraper developed and recover the data that way and import it to whatever platform you choose, Vbulletin would be nice.

I already did a test on scraping a yuku profile to SMF to vbulletin. The plugin that was developed by someone else was meant for a yuku to smf platform change but I used another plugin from vbulletin called ImPex to import smf into vbulletin.

Worked out pretty good. The import does not all have to be done in 1 days and the yuku site could be used for the archive material temporarily, untill every/most users migrates. (password recovery etc.)

Originally Posted by STOPIT5

You could get a forum scraper developed and recover the data that way and import it to whatever platform you choose, Vbulletin would be nice.

I already did a test on scraping a yuku profile to SMF to vbulletin. The plugin that was developed by someone else was meant for a yuku to smf platform change but I used another plugin from vbulletin called ImPex to import smf into vbulletin.

Worked out pretty good. The import does not all have to be done in 1 days and the yuku site could be used for the archive material temporarily, untill every/most users migrates. (password recovery etc.)

i think you need to talk to this man, meth

Back
Top Bottom