Illiteracy in Louisiana ?... (don't even try to top this)

Originally Posted by SIRIUS LEE HANDSOME

Originally Posted by Friendliest Ghost

Originally Posted by SIRIUS LEE HANDSOME

Originally Posted by Friendliest Ghost

People are up in arms about a person living in the US not reading (a sentiment I agree with), but God forbid you suggest immigrants should learn English.
Has nothing to do with the topic
They're DIRECT parallels.
No, they're not.

One thing is being illiterate and another thing is not knowing a foreign language.

Has nothing to do with this topic.
A 34 year old American can't read - That's deserving of criticism.
A 50 year old immigrant, living in the US for 40 years, yet doesn't speak English - You're a racist for suggesting anything is wrong with this.

wow
laugh.gif
indifferent.gif

I agree that people who come to this country should learn English in order to communicate with everyone else, but again, it has absolutely NOTHING to do withthis topic. They're totally not related to one another. I don't understand why you insist on pushing the subject.

Originally Posted by Wade187

Originally Posted by JDocs

Originally Posted by dustblaaze

A lot of you are blaming it on their environment, lack of parenting, the public school system, etc. But shouldn't the person come to a point in life where they just need to step up to the plate, swallow their pride, and figure out how to read. My dad came from a third world country where the slums make Louisiana look like Beverly Hills and was forced to drop out of school at a very early age so he could work to survive. He was illiterate but before immigrating here, he decided to learn how to read because he knew it was a necessity in life. There are no excuses to be made for a 34 year old woman in the US who has a lot more access to schools, libraries, and learning centers. At some point you have to stop blaming the environment and start looking at the person.
So he didn't learn til he saw it as a necessity. He had a push to learn which was coming here. These people are already here, and already working. Who knows maybe once their kids are grown, they will go out and learn, but right now their main focus is most likely working
There are jobs where you never have to read ANYTHING EVER? How do you even get a job if you can't read, don't you have to fill out an application or give in a resume or something? Isn't there a handbook or something you would need to read? Someone please fill me in on these jobs that do not require ANY reading.

You guys really don't realize how many people are illiterate do you? What do you think they do? I'm not sure what these jobs are, but they obviously have found something
I know how big of a problem illiteracy is. But yes, I am ignorant as to what they do to provide for themselves without being literate. I justdon't get it, maybe because I have never applied for a job that didn't require reading something or handing in a resume.

Originally Posted by verynecessary

Originally Posted by JDocs

Originally Posted by dustblaaze
There are jobs where you never have to read ANYTHING EVER? How do you even get a job if you can't read, don't you have to fill out an application or give in a resume or something? Isn't there a handbook or something you would need to read? Someone please fill me in on these jobs that do not require ANY reading.
cook, busser, seamstress, custodian, greeter, maid.... there are a bunch of jobs you could get by without reading a single word, as long as someone showed you how to do a few things or pointed some things out.
I guess I have just never thought about getting any kind of job without reading, but yes I can see how the ones listed (except for cook) could bedone without being able to read. Aside from the filling out application forms and handing in resumes part.

Back
Top Bottom