I'm guessing this is a New York thing, but what is a "Bodega"?

to those who think of only the sneaker store, are you guys trolling or do u really only think the word bodega is just that sneaker shop? cuz u kno...why else would it be selling random *** corner ****?

I say deli or cornerstore.

Call the arab, lebanon, egypt workers or whereever they are from moose.

Don't know why it was a thing that just stuck I guess.

Rarely heard them referred to as bodega.

But growing up in NYC there was always different names for spots.

You had the regular deli that you frequent, in my case moose and them N's, you had the loosie spot (different prices garnered different names), you had the .50, .75, and $1 dutch spots, you had the chinese chicken with pork fried rice spot (again different level of satisfaction with the food garnered different names to differentiate each apart)... well all different names for different types of spots I guess.

I call it bodega if it's owned by a Latino with Latin / South American employees.

Otherwise I just call it the convenience store.
Thanks for not calling them "Spanish".
I don't know how, primarily, east coast, Latino/Latino American/South American's let people get away with calling them "Spanish".
That's like calling someone from China, "oriental".
If you're not from Spain, you're not "Spanish".
/sidebar
/rant

its a crappy store with junk and out dated food

i miss the days when the bodega's sold drugs in the back

Last edited:
to those who think of only the sneaker store, are you guys trolling or do u really only think the word bodega is just that sneaker shop? cuz u kno...why else would it be selling random *** corner ****?
I know the meaning of a bodega and there a reason why Bodega in Boston look like a convenience store before you head into the actual boutique. Yes I was trolling.

I call it bodega if it's owned by a Latino with Latin / South American employees.

I don't know how, primarily, east coast, Latino/Latino American/South American's let people get away with calling them "Spanish".
/sidebar
/rant

Man in NYC all types get bunched together as one.

Spanish goes to any type of latino person doesn't matter where they are from or what type they are.

Chinese goes to any type of asian person it doesn't matter where you from Japan, Korea, Phillipines, California, Canal Street doesn't matter if you have facial feature that resemble those of an Asian person then you are labeled Chinese.

Indians same as above you resemble some sort of Indian descent then you're being labeled and Indian.

Blacks is the same thing doesn't matter if you was from Africa, Haiti or Dominican Republic... black is black... (what I did there make sure you seen it)

Only whites I've seen somewhat get differentiated... got ol regular white, russian white, itialian white and country trailer park white.

Lol I live down south and my and many cornerstores sell

sex pills, belly rings and earrings, white ts, hukkas, pipes, digital scales
those little roses in glass pipes obviously used for smoking crack, brillo pads,
flicks, boiled peanuts, pickled eggs and pigfeet in dat red liquid, loosies 3 for 1, 50 cent juices(not vitamin water) along wit the regular drinks n snax

also on the weekend theres a guy who sells fake shoes and mix cds outside.
(Dude makes crazy $$$ too)

but I always assumed a bodega was just like a gas station just without the gas

Last edited:

/sidebar
/rant

calling an asian person oriental =/= calling someone not from Spain, Spanish

back to the subject,

deli, cornerstore, or Harra-Harra (they are from Yemen and I am ignorant)

don't call them bodegas because none of the owners are hispanic, spanish, lation... they own full blown grocery stores now ( c-town, compare)

Coming from a family that owned bodegas, I call them bodegas. I'm dominican if it matters. That's only in NYC though. If in the NJ burbs or anywhere else, It's the corner store.

Last edited:
Coming from a family that owned bodegas, I call them bodegas. I'm dominican if it matters. That's only in NYC though. If in the NJ burbs or anywhere else, It's the corner store.

All of this. My dad owned a bodega. A group of us used to hang out front sitting on milk cartons.

*cue 'bodega, bodega, bodega, if you're not eating utz, you're eating buttz' video.

From md. I always use bodega for the corner store the A Rabs owned, called the workers 'Habbibi'/ Habib. Then I say corner store for everywhere else, except the spots Asians owned, always called it 'the Chinese store' referring to all employees (regardless of race or gender) as 'the ********'

Ex.

Im bout to hit up Habbibi

Man, the ******** got me for 50 cent, ain't that bout a *****

Man, they ain't even got wraps at the corner store, Habib be taxing, but they got the right joints, The ******** bout to close.

Lol everyone always knew exactly which store I was talking bout.

I love my youth lol
And the PC Award goes to.......

Last edited:
Bodega, where I get all my clothes 
laugh.gif

Other than the Bodega store, I call "Bodegas" minimarts corner stores 

Yeah Spanish isn't the same as Latino or Hispanic..

I sense a "Spanish People Are From Spain Vol. 7" in the near future

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom