Im looking to put together a small group of investors

laugh.gif
 Thanks for the laugh.

Originally Posted by Lightweight Champion

Clicked on it thinking this was gonna be about purchasing the New Orleans Hornets.

25,000 members willing to invest

$14,000 from each investor

Grand total of $350,000,000

We can get it done.
nerd.gif
I'm in lol 24,999 to go

But wouldn't it be ironic for NT to sell out.  For as much as we hate sell-outs.

Originally Posted by finnns2003

laugh.gif
roll.gif
at making nt a brand.

I would donate if this place moved to a reliable platform. This morning I'm seeing the most recent post is an hour and a half in the past. After all of this, nothing has changed.

Meth is the Obama of the internets.  Promising change, but giving us years and years of business as usual 
alien.gif

Originally Posted by Swag Odie

laugh.gif
roll.gif
at making nt a brand.

I would donate if this place moved to a reliable platform. This morning I'm seeing the most recent post is an hour and a half in the past. After all of this, nothing has changed.

Meth is the Obama of the internets.  Promising change, but giving us years and years of business as usual 
alien.gif
roll.gif

Originally Posted by JD214

Originally Posted by tim teufel

Originally Posted by taymane23

so meth's real name is Nelson?

thought dirtys name was nelson

Thought Nelson C was another dude (rarely on NT)

Meth is the main admin, then the Mods.

I'm still sort of mad NT doesn't make any Nike/Jordan or any collabs, Just look at bum +%% ISS dropping their special shoes, and most importantly, wait for it...

an App.
mad.gif

Nelson C is somewhere in Canada right now looking like birdman with all that ad money.

birdman-o.gif

Originally Posted by Cuffy

Originally Posted by BrotherForReal

Not Diddy, not Jigga, not Yeezy, but Wale? ok. wow.

Because Wale is a member son. Might as well use him to make the site bigger. That's one of many good ideas.
You don't see Ciroc, Patron and other alcohol brands using bums to sell their product. You need to regroup. You've just lost all your investors monies with that "Good" idea.

laugh.gif
roll.gif
at making nt a brand.

alien.gif
roll.gif
laugh.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
laugh.gif

i think we should respect nelson and meth's choice of keeping this website non-profit. if anyone should be making some change of it, it should be them and the admins. 
i think we could all invest some time in to finding ways of making this website as efficient as possible, so we can profit more for it and donate more to the charities. i'd be down to help in app development and web development. yuku sucks.

could we go fully independent?

Originally Posted by Cuffy

Niketalk could be a brand, strike a deal with Wale (A NT Member) to broadcast some stuff on here exclusively...Visions man

You just discredited yourself hardcore.

Give up.

laugh.gif
roll.gif
at making nt a brand.

alien.gif
roll.gif
that is actually quite funny. and quite possibly will get you banned.  

laugh.gif
roll.gif
at making nt a brand.

alien.gif

I can understand the cynicism from the outside looking in.  

You guys don't have to think about logistical issues associated with a platform change, so, from your perspective, you can't understand why a switch wasn't made ages ago.  If it were as simple as you make it out to be, why do you think it hasn't been done yet?  Because we're lazy?  I think our commitment to the forums day in and day out demonstrates otherwise.  

Things were so bad last summer that we were on the verge of leaving - even though we'd have lost most of our data.  That would mean that anyone could register for an account under your name and, since we don't have access to email records, we'd have no practical way of sorting out who's the "rightful owner" of a given account.  We'd also lose a considerable amount of content, and when you have several years worth of post data that can't be easily moved that's a meaningful sacrifice to make.  

We held off because Yuku was purchased by a relatively well funded start-up and they were willing to invest heavily in the advancement of the platform.  The site was finally moved from its outdated colo facility to the Amazon cloud system, which cost them a considerable amount of money.  The monthly hosting bill for the network is roughly the price of a well-equipped sedan.  Performance was improving dramatically and we were in mid-development of new features that would help revitalize the site... and then, unbeknownst to us, their money ran out.  

Now, we're dealing with a new ownership group and we've made it very clear to them that our members are hurting and have no patience left for the platform.  Custom development to rehabilitate Yuku is something we're unwilling to stick around for.  Hopefully, we can work something out so that we can keep all of our data and continue on with a new platform.  We want the eventual move to be as painless and transparent as possible, so we've held out hope that we can retain our user database and other assets currently linked to Yuku.  I'm sure you can understand why that's our preference, but if it comes right down to it we'll start from scratch if necessary.  

While the site may superficially appear stagnant, this perception ignores the recent performance gains and all of the conscious decisions made over the years to preserve and improve the user experience.  We've been in the same place for 12 years and don't take moving lightly.  Poorly executed moves have been the death knell for all too many online communities - and NikeTalk will not be among them.  

If I sign off on a deal tomorrow, you're still looking at a 90 day transition period.  Yuku is a proprietary platform.  Data conversion is exceedingly difficult and costly.  Even under optimal circumstances, you're losing functionality.  Not all of the formatting will appear properly.  Image galleries, profiles, custom titles, and the like won't carry over.  If you're going to do it, you want to be supremely confident that you're making the right move, that your new platform's security is up to par, and that your hosting partners are able to keep the site running as smoothly as possible.  Beyond that, you're dealing with new contracts and the negotiation process is highly detailed and involved in and of itself.

These issues take time to work through.  

You can choose to be disappointed if you wish, but that doesn't necessarily mean that your expectations were fair to begin with.  

At the end of the day, I realize that nobody cares about what goes on behind the scenes or what challenges we're faced with.  You're only interested in the end result.  

If you're unwilling to believe that progress is being made or that our staff has worked tirelessly to improve the user experience, so be it, but if we actually wanted to take the easy way out we would've sold the site long ago.  We've had no shortage of real offers (though most of them, like the one found in this thread, are only good for a laugh.)

Excellent post, Meth.

NikeTalk is really a special site on the Internet. I spend the time I would on Facebook/Twitter on NT instead. I'll take a mediocre Yuku over no NT any day.

Originally Posted by Method Man

laugh.gif
roll.gif
at making nt a brand.

alien.gif

Respect

Preach Meth! We know you guys always have the community's well being in mind when making decisions and we respect the vision you have of this place. Thank you for all your and all the other member's of the staff's hard work!

Originally Posted by Jking0821

But wouldn't it be ironic for NT to sell out.  For as much as we hate sell-outs.

Who doesn't hate sell-outs? I mean, you wait and and wait, then when you get to the front of the line all the Concords are gone.
Spoiler [+]

Originally Posted by Method Man

laugh.gif
roll.gif
at making nt a brand.

alien.gif

I can understand the cynicism from the outside looking in.  

You guys don't have to think about logistical issues associated with a platform change, so, from your perspective, you can't understand why a switch wasn't made ages ago.  If it were as simple as you make it out to be, why do you think it hasn't been done yet?  Because we're lazy?  I think our commitment to the forums day in and day out demonstrates otherwise.  

Things were so bad last summer that we were on the verge of leaving - even though we'd have lost most of our data.  That would mean that anyone could register for an account under your name and, since we don't have access to email records, we'd have no practical way of sorting out who's the "rightful owner" of a given account.  We'd also lose a considerable amount of content, and when you have several years worth of post data that can't be easily moved that's a meaningful sacrifice to make.  

We held off because Yuku was purchased by a relatively well funded start-up and they were willing to invest heavily in the advancement of the platform.  The site was finally moved from its outdated colo facility to the Amazon cloud system, which cost them a considerable amount of money.  The monthly hosting bill for the network is roughly the price of a well-equipped sedan.  Performance was improving dramatically and we were in mid-development of new features that would help revitalize the site... and then, unbeknownst to us, their money ran out.  

Now, we're dealing with a new ownership group and we've made it very clear to them that our members are hurting and have no patience left for the platform.  Custom development to rehabilitate Yuku is something we're unwilling to stick around for.  Hopefully, we can work something out so that we can keep all of our data and continue on with a new platform.  We want the eventual move to be as painless and transparent as possible, so we've held out hope that we can retain our user database and other assets currently linked to Yuku.  I'm sure you can understand why that's our preference, but if it comes right down to it we'll start from scratch if necessary.  

While the site may superficially appear stagnant, this perception ignores the recent performance gains and all of the conscious decisions made over the years to preserve and improve the user experience.  We've been in the same place for 12 years and don't take moving lightly.  Poorly executed moves have been the death knell for all too many online communities - and NikeTalk will not be among them.  

If I sign off on a deal tomorrow, you're still looking at a 90 day transition period.  Yuku is a proprietary platform.  Data conversion is exceedingly difficult and costly.  Even under optimal circumstances, you're losing functionality.  Not all of the formatting will appear properly.  Image galleries, profiles, custom titles, and the like won't carry over.  If you're going to do it, you want to be supremely confident that you're making the right move, that your new platform's security is up to par, and that your hosting partners are able to keep the site running as smoothly as possible.  Beyond that, you're dealing with new contracts and the negotiation process is highly detailed and involved in and of itself.

These issues take time to work through.  

You can choose to be disappointed if you wish, but that doesn't necessarily mean that your expectations were fair to begin with.  

At the end of the day, I realize that nobody cares about what goes on behind the scenes or what challenges we're faced with.  You're only interested in the end result.  

If you're unwilling to believe that progress is being made or that our staff has worked tirelessly to improve the user experience, so be it, but if we actually wanted to take the easy way out we would've sold the site long ago.  We've had no shortage of real offers (though most of them, like the one found in this thread, are only good for a laugh.)

I actually think it would be cool to update us as things move a long. Give us the logistics, I think it would be a great learning experience for a lot of young Niketalkers and it would give us a better understanding of whats going on.

I'm insulted dude proposed to buy niketalk like we are that cheap. Nt isn't some brand to be whored out by a mediocre rapper.Nt stands for and does something more than that walking Nike mannequin will ever be.To go from a community to a brand is the antithesis of NT .What has made Nt such a pillar of the sneaker community is because of it being a forum of discussion and progress of the sneaker community and the world at large.We took the high road years ago and decided not to corrupt our name and become the lapdogs of corporate entities.A fool named Steve once had this same approach and he created a joke magazine and a poor imitation of our site .

Back
Top Bottom