I'm not ashamed to admit that I'm a Christian.

Originally Posted by DwyaneWadeOG

Originally Posted by AntonLaVey

roll.gif
roll.gif
We can do this all day Christianity>>>>>Islam

Anton I genuinely like your posts but this is unproductive and not typical of you.
You claim to be agnostic (right?) yet place one monotheistic religion over another?

Sorry I was being sarcastic. A lot of Christians think their religion is better than Islam and think Islam is immoral and a religion of hatred and violence., I posted that to show tkthefm that the way he thinks is the way people from other religions think. In real life many arguments I have with Christians is in defense of other religions, Islam in particular. 
eyes.gif

Yeah, you really "showed me" with those videos
roll.gif

No one said Christians or any other religion couldn't produce videos calling to/defending their religion.. the point is the actual content of their arguments is abysmal or full of lies. They don't even know their own books. There is simply no comparison to Islam. Sincerely watch the videos.

Now you can go run off and search youtubeand embed your own "counter" video
roll.gif

Originally Posted by tkthafm

roll.gif

No one said Christians or any other religion couldn't produce videos calling to/defending their religion.. the point is the actual content of their arguments is abysmal or full of lies. They don't even know their own books. There is simply no comparison to Islam. Sincerely watch the videos.

Now you can go run off and search�youtube�and embed your own "counter" video�
roll.gif

Yes, very unbiased review.
roll.gif

Thank you. Please tell us more.

Seriously, this is like you telling us why the Game of Thrones series is better than Lord of the Rings. 
roll.gif

30t6p3b.gif

Originally Posted by sillyputty

roll.gif

Now you can go run off and search�youtube�and embed your own "counter" video�
roll.gif

Yes, very unbiased review.
roll.gif

Thank you. Please tell us more.

Seriously, this is like you telling us why the Game of Thrones series is better than Lord of the Rings. 
roll.gif

30t6p3b.gif

roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif

bdw game of thrones>>>>>

Anyhow I think what's his face may legitimately be mentally challenged....no names.

How do any of you feel about intuition? People who can tell of coming events, or how twin children can know when the other is in a troubled state?

We get that you don't accept the books as being from God, the comparisons to fantasy novels don't add anything. If you've noticed, the videos are directed towards those of other faiths who DO accept the books in question. In that case, when your own book is shown to contradict what you believe and actually supports Islam, you've got a serious problem.

Originally Posted by AKA LONGSTROKE

How do any of you feel about intuition? People who can tell of coming events, or how twin children can know when the other is in a troubled state?

God did it. 

And lol @ "intuition". Apparently God is responsible for that as well.  Everyday I wake up and thank God Im not a bloody idiot

Anyhow if that's what makes religious people's brains tinkle I feel sorry for them.

[h1]Folie à deux[/h1]
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

For other uses, see Folie à deux (disambiguation).
[table][tr][th=""]Induced delusional disorder[/th][/tr][tr][td]Classification and external resources[/td][/tr][tr][th="row"]ICD-10[/th][td]F24[/td][/tr][tr][th="row"]ICD-9[/th][td]297.3[/td][/tr][tr][th="row"]DiseasesDB[/th][td]34350[/td][/tr][tr][th="row"]eMedicine[/th][td]med/3352[/td][/tr][tr][th="row"]MeSH[/th][td]D012753[/td][/tr][/table]
Folie à deux (English pronunciation: /fɒˈli ə ˈdu

We get that you don't accept the books as being from God, the comparisons to fantasy novels don't add anything. If you've noticed, the videos are directed towards those of other faiths who DO accept the books in question. In that case, when your own book is shown to contradict what you believe and actually supports Islam, you've got a serious problem.

lol everytime I read your posts directed at other faiths I feel like you're talking about yourself

God did it. 

And lol @ "intuition". Apparently God is responsible for that as well.  Everyday I wake up and thank God Im not a bloody idiot

Anyhow if that's what makes religious people's brains tinkle I feel sorry for them.

Okay, I understand your position, but must you be so heavy handed? I am no religious person, nor a big believer in a higher deity.  But the way you present yourself really does not do your supposed intellect any justice. 

God did it. 

Okay, I understand your position, but must you be so heavy handed? I am no religious person, nor a big believer in a higher deity.  But the way you present yourself really does not do your supposed intellect any justice. 
It doesn't take much intellect to think the way I do, but I apologize for coming off that way I guess.
How come you never see the sun and the moon at the same time? I  bet you can't explain it,
nerd.gif

God did it. 

Anton, go easy on this one...hes just trying to see some things... 
(AKA LONGSTROKE [i felt dirty typing that.
roll.gif
], med students like him can be antsy...
laugh.gif
...he means no harm. Hes usually pretty sarcastic by nature)

But yeah, in terms of intuition, a lot of what we think is "innate" is reflexive behavior. We have built in neural patterns that can take over in split seconds to change how we react to things like physical stress. 

For example there is a 2-3 synaptic pathway of nerve cells to ganglion in your spine and back out to motor neurons that allows you to jump from one leg to the other in the event that your original leg feels harmed in some unusual way.

Other things are still being studied. 

There are parts of our brains that recognize empathy. For example if we see people with their fingers cut off or people who are physically experiencing something, we can almost feel the same pain ourselves. We call these mirror neurons. Pretty interesting stuff. 

Some things are somewhat "innate" though. There is a video that came out two weeks ago that shows babies technically have the neural substrates to walk literally days after being born. Their brains and neurons just aren't conditioned to the pattern yet but there is the innate "Programming" if you will (i hate that world cause theists will take the context out of it) to already move your leads in a bipedal fashion. 

Other things are a result of efforts to basically keep the body alive and lead to self preservation at all costs. Like the parts of your brainstem that control things like digestion, breathing, etc. 

Like I said, we're still trying to figure this stuff all out but the more we learn, the smaller the "god" box gets. 

p1G6s.png

It makes more sense that the quran be supported by the bible...

seeing that most of the quran is based off of the bible...
roll.gif

Seems like the abrahamic god got it right the third time around after failing with judaism and christianity... 

if you think george bush and obama ran this country down let rick perry get in there and watch how things end up

God did it. 

It doesn't take much intellect to think the way I do, but I apologize for coming off that way I guess.

Well, debating someone's faith is very touchy. I asked how do any of you feel about intuition, not about who created it. I have learned that humiliating people with my knowledge is not the way to go, especially while discussing such topics. People come to their faiths in different ways. I have seen families become incredibly spiritual while caring for a loved one battling illness. I have also seen children beg some God, any God to help them, when their families have have no other ways of supporting their cause, or if they even have a family at all. Not all people are afforded an education in this country, nor in this world. While faith may not be the thing that sparks critical thought, the thought of an answer being out there being held by some higher power, higher deity, is better than not holding any hope at all.
 Encouragement works, perhaps you guys can try that sometimes.

Well, debating someone's faith is very touchy. I asked how do any of you feel about intuition, not about who created it. I have learned that humiliating people with my knowledge is not the way to go, especially while discussing such topics. People come to their faiths in different ways. I have seen families become incredibly spiritual while caring for a loved one battling illness. I have also seen children beg some God, any God to help them, when their families have have no other ways of supporting their cause, of if they even have a family at all. Not all people are afforded an education in this country, nor in this world. While faith may not be the thing that sparks critical thought, the thought of an answer being out there being held by some higher power, higher deity, is better than not holding any hope at all.
I mean I won't lie...if I was in a ditch with bullets flying overhead, i'd be wishing there was some way I could get out of it too...its almost natural to want someone else or something else to help you.
We're social creatures and we'd like to think other people have our backs...

but at the end of the day, its wishful thinking. Knowing that i'm ultimately responsible for my wellbeing can result in me not wasting time of considering possibilities that aren't available to me. 

I just always remember that half of the people we see in emergency rooms right now would have died 100-200 years ago. 

I try to be pretty encouraging of most people, but I also try to help them do so in a way that leads to action and actual progress, not just posturing and making conjectures about things.

I'm more about empowering people rather than reassuring people. If that makes sense. 

Well, debating someone's faith is very touchy. I asked how do any of you feel about intuition, not about who created it. I have learned that humiliating people with my knowledge is not the way to go, especially while discussing such topics. People come to their faiths in different ways. I have seen families become incredibly spiritual while caring for a loved one battling illness. I have also seen children beg some God, any God to help them, when their families have have no other ways of supporting their cause, of if they even have a family at all. Not all people are afforded an education in this country, nor in this world. While faith may not be the thing that sparks critical thought, the thought of an answer being out there being held by some higher power, higher deity, is better than not holding any hope at all.

Religion is an antidepressant to some, unfortunately it distracts people from the root cause of their problems. I'm not going to give a starving child in Africa a bible because it solves nothing and he will most likely die without my intervention.

Originally Posted by sillyputty

I mean I won't lie...if I was in a ditch with bullets flying overhead, i'd be wishing there was some way I could get out of it too...its almost natural to want someone else or something else to help you.

but at the end of the day, its wishful thinking. Knowing that i'm ultimately responsible for my wellbeing can result in me not wasting time of considering possibilities that aren't available to me.

I just always remember that half of the people we see in emergency rooms right now would have died 100-200 years ago.

I try to be pretty encouraging of most people, but I also try to help them do so in a way that leads to action and actual progress, not just posturing and making conjectures about things.

I'm more about empowering people rather than reassuring people. If that makes sense.

sillyputty wrote:

That's cool, empowerment is important. But that old saying should be applied here, the one about walking in another man's shoes.

Giving someone confidence, encouraging them, may be the best way to go, especially when that man may have been in the ditch, with only his faith by his side. You can't tell him that he is stupid for holding on to what he feels saved him.

Religion is an antidepressant to some, unfortunately it distracts people from the root cause of their problems. I'm not going to give a starving child in Africa a bible because it solves nothing and he will most likely die without my intervention.
You are correct, it CAN be an antidepressant, but on the real? There is NOTHING wrong with that, when the other alternative is watching reruns of Good Times. At least one encourages reading, learning, then perhaps sparking critical thought. Looking up word to find definitions, expanding one's vocabulary.
If guided correctly, and you are right, often people who are looking for an answer are not guided in the right direction, religion can open doors of enlightenment, sparking the need to learn.

You are correct, it CAN be an antidepressant, but on the real? There is NOTHING wrong with that, when the other alternative is watching reruns of Good Times. At least one encourages reading, learning, then perhaps sparking critical thought. Looking up word to find definitions, expanding one's vocabulary.
If guided correctly, and you are right, often people who are looking for an answer are not guided in the right direction, religion can open doors of enlightenment, sparking the need to learn.
ur right absolutely nothing wrong with it. If I owned slaves I would probably give them Jesus Christ to appease them. 

ur right absolutely nothing wrong with it. If I owned slaves I would probably give them Jesus Christ to appease them. 
I agree! Feeding people junk food will only make them fat and unhealthy! However, some of those slaves learned to read, then revolting against their masters, as was done in Hispaniola. I am not disagreeing with you, where we are having an issue is with intent. Higher education can corrupt as well...I mean Brown University did make those slave ships back in the late 1600's
laugh.gif

I agree! Feeding people junk food will only make them fat and unhealthy! However, some of those slaves learned to read, then revolting against their masters, as was done in Hispaniola. I am not disagreeing with you, where we are having an issue is with intent. Higher education can corrupt as well...I mean Brown University did make those slave ships back in the late 1600's
laugh.gif
What the hell does any of this have to do with education? I find it hilarious sometimes that people equate not being religious with science, intellect and being educated. Religious standards for intellect are very low. I don't believe in many Gods, doesn't take a bloody genius to come to that conclusion.

laugh.gif

weebay-o.gif

laugh.gif

Real talk...I don't think religious people are "stupid" per se...just...willingly ignorant. I mean it takes A LOT of stubbornness to really cling to an idea that can easily be debunked by 5 year olds who don't feel like following religion. I mean you have to REALLY suspend a lot of the same logic you employ in every other area of life to support religious ideology. 

I know some incredibly smart people that are very religious...but then again, they also believe in the zodiac signs and astrology... 
roll.gif
...women...
30t6p3b.gif

In any case, its just how some people have things baked into their heads...for some of us, its easier to humble ourselves and admit we may be wrong about certain things. 

It really comes down to how honest you are with yourself on a consistent basis. 

Back
Top Bottom